Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Pumpkick - New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerWizard on 07-30-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pumpkick Alström Bros
Reviews: 173 | Hads: 1,189
3.82/5  rDev +9.8%

This is by far my favorite pumpkin beer. The cranberry came out strong for me- providing a welcome balance to the sweetness of the pumpkin pie spices and pumpkin I usually run from. The tartness I tasted throughout the beer where the pumpkin pie was a strong aroma but a minor note in the actual taste of the beer.

It was a nice amber with about a 1/4in head that was a nice toasted marshmallow color. Its a very bubbly beer, almost foaming out of the mouth which tells alot about how they carbonated it. I'll be picking this one up for the remainder of the season.

4.31/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cranberry was very subtle, but definitely works. More spice than true pumpkin flavor, but this on works and works very well. Had it in a 12oz bottle. I will definitely get this again.

4.47/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Perfect pumpkin pie aroma and appearance with the turbid orange-brown color. The taste was on target for a pumpkin ale, not too much spice but rich pumpkin with a slightly sour note from the cranberries. Will be picking up more of this one.

3.59/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Originally containted in a 12 oz. bottle. Served at 48 degrees F in a 3 Floyds pint glass. Pours a moderate/deep amber and settles a very clear, deep orange-red in the glass. Outstanding carbonation. Initially 1/2 a finger of white foam; this dwindled down into a dense lacing after about a minute. Pumpkin spice, vanilla, ginger, hazlenut, and cream on the nose. Reminds me of pumpkin pie batter prior to baking. Not strong, but definitely present. I would've liked to've seen a huge, engulfing pumpkin aroma on this beer. Still plesasnt as-is, albeit a bit weak. Medium weight with a carbonated, yet relatively creamy mouthfeel. Pumpkin and baking spices up front with a type of pie crust middle. I got a decent amount of wheat on the back end in addition to the pumpkin flavoring, which at this point, takes a turn for the organic. What I mean by that is, the taste retrogrades from 'semi-baked pumpkin pie' to, 'raw pumpkin squash'. Upon experiencing a carbonated, bubbly finish, I'm left with a watered-down raw pumpkin aftertaste. Not...bad..but not really good, either.

This is the first pumpkin beer I've had, so take it with a grain of salt if you must. But for me, the initial taste was the best part of this beer. Sweet pumpkin pie & crust. But unfortunately, if was downhill from there. This beer went from Thanksgiving dinner dessert to Halloween carvings' remnants real quick.

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a pretty good offering into the overcrowded pumpkin beer market. The color is nicely orange and makes a modest head. It falls on the pumpkin pie taste,instead of spicy. It has a light acrid aftertaste that a lot of pumpkin beers have but it doesn't last long.

3.74/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle best by 1/3/16 poured into a pint glass
A: Orange color with a 1/2-finger head
S: This smells like a pumpkin pie before it's baked. The pumpkin, pie spices and notably evaporated milk are all there, just not roasted
T: Tastes fairly authentic, pumpkin and pie spices, the cranberry is there if you look for it but subtle
M: Fairly light-bodied, smooth
O: Middle of the road pumpkin beer

4.27/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

For whatever reason I really like this beer. The cranberry adds a perfect touch of sweetness and the rest of the spices are more subtle than most pumpkin ales. One of my favorites of the variety.

3.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy burnt orange with a small off-white head that falls leaving nice retention and nice lacing. Smells nice. Smells like your typical pumpkin ale. Lots of cinnamon and ginger. Some sweet caramel malts in the mix. The flavors follow the nose, but becomes very tart due to the cranberries. The first sip is tart and odd for the style, but everything comes together the more you drink. Alcohol goes unnoticed. Mouthfeel is thin and on the lighter side of medium-bodied. Active carbonation and smooth. Easy to drink.

This is your typical pumpkin ale, but with a twist. The use of cranberries makes this one unique. Overall it's not my favorite example style, but it's not my least favorite.

3.52/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured 12 oz bottle into snifter glass. 6% abv

Appearance- Pours an orange-apricot color with a thin one finger head. Very hazy and cloudy,

Smell- Fresh pumpkin mash, berries, cinammon.

Taste- Punmpkin with a bit of roasted pumpkin flavor as well. The cranberry blends in as well and is noticeable follow up. Spices arrive last and linger, and include cinnammon, nutgmeg.

Mouthfeel- Medium in body with slight carbonation.

Overall- A good pumpkin beer with a new twist which mixes things up, being the cranberry addition. Sets it aside from the many mediocre pumpkin ales out there. Not bad.

2.28/5  rDev -34.5%

Not so good. Would probably be a better ale without the spices thrown in. I don't even taste pumpkin ... I taste a lot of cinnamon though. Kind of sour too. I can't imagine why the brewery would be proud of this product.

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured straight into pint glass. A: clear Amber with white, 2 finger head that dissipates very slowly. S: pumpkin, apricot, allspice, and a hint of cranberry. T: immediate apricot then the pumpkin and cranberry, and very fine notes of hops right at the end. F: very smooth, could drink these all night if I'm not careful. O: very upscale pumpkin brew, much better than most, another win by New Belgium.

4.39/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I was out visiting a friend in Ann Arbor, MI recently when I spied this on the shelf with my little eye. Never having had one and intrigued by both the upgraded label and the idea of cranberry juice in a pumpkin, I pulled the trigger and brought it back with me.

From the bottle: "What's that bite of tartness doing in a pumpkin beer? Adding the unexpected kick of cranberry juice to brighten this traditionally spiced seasonal ale. PUMPKICK is brewed with plenty of pumpkin juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, but it's the cranberries and touch of lemongrass that'll have you hunt[ing] and pecking for more."

I Pop!ped the cap and began a somewhat gentle pour since I was unsure if there might be any lees. I need not have worried as I still got just over a finger of dense, tawny head with decent retention. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of vanilla, molasses, brown sugar, maple syrup and a tartness that I would not have otherwise been able to identify as cranberry juice. Mmmm. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was mostly sweet - vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, but with a tart note running through the middle of it. I wonder what inspired the brewers to include cranberry juice. It certainly made it a different pumpkin beer than so many of the others that I have tried. I really overdid it last year, but this revived my interest in the style. Finish was semi-dry with the combination of the spices and the cranberry juice working in tandem to dry it out, but while still retaining some of the initial sweetness.

2.79/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Amber in color with 1/2 finger of head. Smell is sweet fruit but nothing really discernable. Taste is pumpkin up front with a mix of flavors in the middle and bitter lemon at the end. An ok beer but there are much better pumpkin beers available.

2.94/5  rDev -15.5%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, golden/orange color with a half of a finger of white head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and formed wispy clouds that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Not much in the aroma department, either that or I’m stuffed up. I get very faint notes of malt, brown sugar, and a little bit of pumpkin, but nothing in the way of hops.

Taste: Interesting. Much more sour than I was expecting from a pumpkin beer, even more sour than the other pumpkin beers that I’ve had that have included some sourness to their profiles. There is some maltiness with this beer as well as some sweetness, but the sourness just overpowers everything. Not balanced at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, but with some good carbonation to tickle the taste buds. With an ABV of 6.0%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is only an OK beer. I’m a big fan of New Belgium, in fact, Fat Tire, Abbey, and 1554 are three of my favorite beers, but I’m not a fan of this beer. In my opinion, there’s no balance here at all, the sourness of this beer just overpowers everything, and I can’t taste much of the malt or sweetness. Sour fans will probably love this beer, but alas, I do not. Sorry New Belgium, this one was a strike out for me.

4.14/5  rDev +19%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance - 4/5
A clear dark orange color (when held up to a bright light, it's a fantastically brilliant pumpkin orange), with about 1 finger of head upon initial pour, dies down within a minute or so. Can essentially see no carbonation rising through the beer. Normally I like to see a lot of carbonation rising in my beer, but the fact that there is so little in this beer actually makes me intrigued. It makes the beer look super tranquil.

Smell - 4.15/5
Strong nutmeg, cinnamon, and pumpkin smells. The cinnamon seems most prominent. Smells like a nice creamy pumpkin pie.

Taste - 4.2/5
Sweet malts, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, a tiny bit of hops. Has a bit of a juicy feel to it...I assume this is from the added cranberry juice. I really like how I can still taste the malts in this beer. Given the strength of the aroma, I was really worried about the spices overpowering this beer, but that turned out to not be the case. So many pumpkin ales are just overpowered by the fall spices. But this beer seems like a really nice balance between malty beer taste, and the fall spices. I am really happy with the taste.

Mouthfeel - 3.75/5
The beer is medium bodied. The carbonation is very light. The beer is nice and creamy, although near the end of the sip there is a more crispy carbonation kick. I think the beer could use a tiny bit more carbonation.

Overall - 4.1/5
Overall, I was very happy with this beer. The color, aroma, and taste of this beer are great. And the beer has great balance in the taste. Normally I don't like New Belgium beers very much, but this one is an exception.

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

At first taste, this beer was too sour and too much cranberry flavor. It lacked any hop flavor or aroma. I initially rated it 3.375. However, as I have worked through the 6 pack over several weeks, it has grown on me. It is still sour and needs hops, but the after taste is that of pumpkin spice reminiscent of Belgian beers or a fine hefeweizen. In the end, New Belgium lived up to their goal of brewing in the Belgian style however untraditional. Thus the improved rated to 3.75.

Brewed with Pale, Munich, Caramel malts, Pumpkin juice, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice, Cranberries, Lemongrass. Hopped with Target. 6.0% ABV

Pours out to a slightly chill hazed light amber, forming a nice big creamy light yellow head with superior retention and thick lacing. Moderate carbonation, ~2.5 carbs or so. The aroma is quite nice, one gets the obvious cinnamon and ginger, but I actually get cranberry and orange as well. Delicate, very nice nose. Mouthfeel is smooth lightly tart, with a medium body. The taste is a recap of the aroma...the cranberry comes through nicely as well as the spices. Thankfully, the spices are not overpowering like many pumpkin beers. The malt base is a bit flimsy. I'd like to see mostly munich and some biscuit malt along with a little darker crystal like 40 to accent the toasty sensation of the pie crust. It needs a touch more residual sugars or perceived sweetness and body to be balanced, but still, this is much better than most pumpkin beers. Bitterness is very mild, which is a must in this style of beer. No perceptable off flavors or aromas.

A very nice fall seasonal. I don't think I've ever had a pumpkin beer that makes me want to buy a 6'er, but this comes pretty close.
L=4.25, A=4.25, T=4.0, MF=3.75, D=4.0

Best pumpkin ale I have tried so far. The spices mix exceptionally well with the pumpkin juice. The slight taste of cranberry seals the deal to create an ultimate pumpkin ale experience.

3.62/5  rDev +4%

Infuse with cranberry flavor. Let's see how this one tastes!

12 oz bottle poured into clean glass.

Appearance (3.75) : This one pours a very pretty off-white three fingered head on top of a ginger ale colored body. The body is mostly transparent with about 40% opacity. The head sticks and stays around for awhile, but leaves lace as it descends.

Aroma (4) : Ginger and pumpkin with tart cranberry. Some small beery ale notes underneath. As the head recedes more cranberry can be detected, almost like Ocean Spray. It reminds me of the cranberry jello desert we have around Thanksgiving. Bouquet is medium strength.

Taste (3.75) : A bit of flat pumpkin, mixed with watered down cranberry cocktail, ending with some ginger and more stale pumpkin. "Flat" is the best word I can use to describe the overall flavor. Everything is there, and it tastes good, but it's very two-dimensional. This "pumpkick" NEEDS a serious KICK. Out of the bottle it is even worse...simply horrible. If you're gonna have it, pour it into a glass. I'll give it a generous 3.75 because the taste is there and it's original.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : Smooth, but under carbonated (never thought I'd say that) for what it's trying to be. I honestly feel like adding 7-up to it to wake it up a bit.

Overall (3.62) : Pumpkick leaves a little to be desired. The droopy, drowsy mouthfeel along with its flat flavor profile makes this only a little better than the worst pumpkin ales. For the record I would drink this again. And I won't knock it because the flavor is good, it's just fleeting and watery. The label is great, and its an interesting concept, but if New Belgium reads these things, spice it up a bit with an injection of carbonation.

4.22/5  rDev +21.3%

Served on tap into a shaker glass.

A- Poured a clear dark orange color with off-white soapy head that left no lace.

S- Big cinnamon, cranberry, nutmeg, and bready notes. Very aromatic and festive.

T- Lots of cranberry, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Some light bready notes.

M- Dry, medium body, prickly carbonation, and smooth.

O- I really dug this unique pumpkin beer offering. The cranberry flavor really added a nice dimension of sweetness with the pumpkin spices.

3.56/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

16oz glass at Beer Revolution - this one was a bit hard to track down around here.

This beer appears a clear, medium copper amber colour, with one thick finger of puffy, loosely foamy, and mildly bubbly off-white head, which leaves a decent array of snow rime lace around the glass as things slowly dissolve.

It smells of semi-sweet, fleshy pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon spice, bready caramel malt, and tame earthy, leafy hops. The taste is sugary, pastry-like caramelized malt, pureed pumpkin, rather mild earthy seasonal spices - maybe some ginger, maybe some allspice - a touch of white pepper, and leafy, weedy hops.

The carbonation is fairly peppy, with a swirling frothiness, the body a sturdy medium weight, and plainly smooth, the spices affecting things seemingly from beyond. It finishes off-dry, the pumpkin continuing to meld into the base caramel malt, as the pie-friendly spices carry on fading out.

A so-so, and kind of underwhelming version of the style, as the pumpkin and spice alike seem to be phoning it in. Not sure that I'm overly content paying premium Canadian prices for this, when I could have had it for a song a few weeks ago in Denver.

Very nice beer smooth pumpkin tastes with a heavy finish of Nutmeg. I like Nutmeg so I liked the beer others that were looking for a strong pumpkin need to look elsewhere, but I will buy it again. It also has a new label for 2014 that was quite entertaining.

4.75/5  rDev +36.5%

When I drink a pumpkin ale I want to know I'm drinking a pumpkin ale. This is what a pumpkin ale is supposed to taste like. There's nothing subtle about this beer. The pumpkin taste and aroma hit you right away along with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. It's like a liquid pumpkin pie minus the terrible sweetness. And you can drink it guilt-free knowing they only use the best, freshest, non-GMO ingredients and sustainable business practices.

I know lots of folks aren't too big on Pumpkin Ales but my goodness you must try this beer. I drank it on tap at my local Pluckers Sports Bar and didn't even drink it slow enough to recall what it looked like.

A piece of liquid pumpkin pie but BETTER.

It's definitely not bad tasting, but it is a poor representation of the style. The fruit juices added and the abundance of cinnamon make it taste more like a mulled cider than a pumpkin beer.

Pumpkick from New Belgium Brewing