Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry HefeweizenLips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-09-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 395 | Reviews: 78
Reviews by mtpHokie:

My favorite beer of all time.

2.83/5  rDev -16.5%

22 oz bottle. Pours hazy dark golden yellow with a medium fizzy white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is lots of perfumey curry spices with some wheat and a little fruit.

The flavor is a little sweet fruit with a lot of curry spices. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, interesting curry beer but very one-dimensional and over the top with the spice. I didn't really get any coconut.

3.44/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

22oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Look: Hazed, turbid, deep straw hue, excellent head

Smell: Fresh curry, mellow coconut, bready wheat, yeast, ripe pears, white chocolate

Taste: Lush smoothness, assertive curry, crisp wheat, underlying coconut, muted hops, yeast, mild heat, vegtal, herbal, semi-dry finish, mildly spicy end

I love curry and I love coconut but the curry just seems out of place, it has nothing to really bounce off of and curry needs that. Love the effort but this one just does not do it for me.

3.43/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Intense amount of carbonation bubbling within with a light head. Very cloudy with small bits of white floating chunks within. Safe to say this yellow golden brew is not filtered. Aroma of faint pale wheat but mainly of coconut. The mouthfeel is pretty intense between carbonation,spices,and floating residue for a Hefe. The flavor is unique as promised. I get a burst of coconut and a bit of heat from the curry. Then I get the sweetness from the coconut with a very gentle bit of heat. Aftertaste is coconut and pale wheat. Unique brew,but not something I would seek out.

4.21/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a New Belgium Globe glass. Bottled in June 2013.

Appearance: Pours a very cloudy pale yellowish golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About two fingers of white head that quickly fade into a thin patchy layer. A few pieces of white floating sediment. Decent lacing.

Smell: A spicy, yeasty, and fruity wheat aroma with a fairly big scent of hot spices. Big mix of spices upfront with hints of cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, coriander, allspice, and some other spices unfamiliar to me. The spices do give an Indian food style of scent. Bready wheat and pale malt presence with hints of grains, straw, Hefeweizen yeast, and cracker. Hints of coconut, banana, and citrus fruit with some orange, pineapple, and lemon zest. Hops are pretty subtle. A very odd but good wheat beer aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a very spice forward taste with a solid mix of wheat Hefeweizen notes. Big mix of hot spices upfront with notes of cinnamon, ginger, red cayenne pepper, allspice, coriander, and some other spices. The spices give an Indian curry like taste that is spicy but not overwhelmingly hot. Bready wheat presence with notes of Hefeweizen yeast, straw, grains, and cracker. Taste of coconut and banana along with citrus notes of pineapple, orange, and lemon zest. Very laid back hop presence. A very interesting and good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very spicy but surprisingly smooth. Some heat is felt but its more from the spice than alcohol.

Overall: A very unique and good twist on a Hefeweizen style beer. Big but not overwhelming kick of spices that blend well with the wheat beer notes.

3.59/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer is just as described by the label, having a finely balanced blend of coconut, (yellow) curry and wheat, with a touch of banana (and probably subtle spicing) from the yeast. These compose the bold and spicy aroma. These components, and some addtional spicing, mesh nicely in the complex flavor.

Feel: medium-light body; lively carbonation; a touch of peppery heat.

O: well crafted but certainly won’t appeal to everyone.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The look is a little off. Yes, it's kind of cloudy, milky yellow, but there's something about it not quite German, a little artificial. The head is also below par for a Hefe. Not even a finger thick, little retention, and not much lace.

I can pick up both the curry and the coconut, but always at different times. I've yet to pick them both up in the same whiff. I'm not getting the tangy wheat either. I like both coconut and curry, but they seem to be fighting each other.

The taste isn't bad, but I'm not sure you can call this a hefe. The curry isn't exactly overpowering, but it stands out in the crowd of wheat and coconut. Really, it tastes more like a simple fruit/spiced ale, but I can't get past the fact they call it a Hefe. Regardless, the taste is fairly good. As it warms, the coconut presents a bit better, moreso as a taste that lingers following the spicy curry.

There's no tang, kind of what I look for in a Hefe. There's little to no hop presence. However, there is a sharpness of an ale as well as some heat from the curry. Was hoping for some sweetness from the coconut, but I think the curry masks both the coconut and the alcohol. Again, the spicy is never too much. It just pushed the envelope a little.

Overall it's a decent beer, it's just not a Hefe. However, in the background is a pretty good ale. I'd like to have a bottle without the coconut or the curry and see what it tastes like. Actually, it's fairly good and I like the ABV where it is. 8% is perfect for me. This goes down pretty easily with no offensive flavors.

3.9/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Very aromatic. Banana, pear, coriander, spice. Color is not quite right. Head is very nice but quickly fades. Minimal lacing. Taste is unique with a pleasantly surprising spicy finish that is welcoming on the palate and lingers. Overall a very nice experience and am glad to have tried it but will not be seeking it out anytime soon.

1.26/5  rDev -62.8%

I love experimental beers--I even liked the BEET BEER New Belgium served on tap at the brewery awhile back. Now, with the beet beer, a pint is about all you can handle and all that you need to really appreciate and bask in the weirdness. It's great to try, smile and nod, and know that you're enjoying something truly unique--and, doggonit, good for New Belgium for thinking outside the box. I'd drink that beet beer by the barrel-full before ever having even a sip of this "Coconut Curry" tragedy again.

For starters, the appearance is gross. Flat-out gross. There are chunks of who-knows-what (coconut? lime? plastic? disease?) bobbing at the top and floating all around the glass. Initially the chunks were trying to hide in a foamy, white head, but as that quickly dissipated, there they are, staring at me. There's so much of whatever it is floating around in there, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to scrub out my glass when done. And the mystery floaters certainly don't look anything like any coconut I've ever seen. The beer, itself, is opaque and the color of dehydration urine.

I don't know if the bottle I got was infected but it smells like melting plastic mixed with a very faint, artificial car-freshener coconut smell. I don't smell curry or anything resembling spices you can buy anywhere, not even the most obscure spice market. It makes me want to gag--this is definitely the first beer I've ever had this experience with. I could use a lot of words to describe the aroma but magnificent is not one of them. If you blindfolded me and told me to smell and drink this, I would tell you to go jump off a bridge.

Just like the smell, it tastes like melting plastic. It doesn't taste anything like a hefeweizen. It doesn't taste like coconut or curry or spice. Melting plastic. As it warms, it only gets worse and I only get more and more sad that I'm giving it so many chances to convince me that it's even a mediocre beer. It leaves an aftertaste that makes me want to sandpaper my tongue and plug my nose with a clothespin until I get the chance to brush my teeth and gargle with gasoline.

The mouthfeel is awful. If it weren't for the chunks, it may have been the only tolerable thing about this beer.

In closing, I'm not joking: there is something majorly wrong with this beer. If a really bad homebrewer was to take a filthy, sweat-soaked sock that he's been wearing for three weeks and threw it into his carboy along with a handful of dirt and a chunk of coconut air-freshener, mid-fermentation, and the carboy had never been sealed from outside air and he didn't even know anything about soap and sanitizing, I imagine that his end-result would be a better beer. I don't drain-pour often, but see ya later.

3.37/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had on tap at Max's during BBW 2013 (from notes, 10/27/13).

A: Cloudy copper. No head or lacing.

S: Spicy curry.

T: Spicy. Peppery. A bit of coconut in the curry but more of a roasty/smokey taste with a spicy aftertaste.

M: Prickly like you can feel the spice/pepper.

O: Eh, odd.

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a hazy yellow-orange with two fingers of white head that vanishes almost completely with no lacing.

S: Vanilla, coconut, some tart fruit, ginger, and curry dominate here.

T: Similar to the aroma, there are strong flavors of curry spices, ginger, coconut, and vanilla. There are also some sweet bread flavors before a clean finish that leaves just a little spicy burn.

M: Light body with lowish carbonation, this beer avoids being watery but could use some more carbonation or body.

O: A very unique beer overall, though I quite enjoy it. It tastes like coconut curry with ginger, which is an odd thing for a beer, but as a coconut curry lover, it's quite nice.

2.97/5  rDev -12.4%

22 oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.
8% ABV,

A - Chunky eggshell colored lace clutches the glass following the dense head's departure, sinking into the hazed apricot orange beer.

S - Curry by itself isn't bad, but when it's the focal point of a beer's aroma, not only does it become incredibly off-putting to me, but it completely blankets everything else this beer might have to offer. I smell no characteristic of a Hefeweizen, especially an 8% ABV one for that matter. In fact, i smell nothing but curry. It's like a trip down memory lane to my wife-then-girlfriend's condo with Indian neighbors who stunk up the whole floor.

T - After the offensive aroma, the taste takes a considerable step back and allows more than curry through, like some actual beer flavor! Pale malt offers notes of sweetness and graininess as well, transitioning into suggestions of banana and clove, but the likeness of a Hefeweizen is certainly not here when this beer finishes with a blend of spices, most notably curry. Coconut shavings are sprinkled on top, almost like an afterthought.

M - When the beer's huge amount of spice is considered, it's amazing how little it plays through into the feel, really landing at a tame, balanced dry finish that works wonderfully with the smooth, medium body and lingering touch of sweetness.

O - On one hand I truly enjoy the experimental and unique nature of the Lips of Faith series of beers but, on the other, I simply can't get on board with a beer that completely decimates its base style with obscene amounts of spice (thou I'm mainly referring to the aroma which is nothing but curry). I was intrigued and excited by this beer as I always will be by Lips brews but in the end Coconut Curry Hefeweizen doesn't do a thing for me.

3.68/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into 2 flared pilsner glasses with a moderate hand. Bottle reads "Packaged June 2013". Not sure what to expect, but expectations are not particularly high. Sweet label.

A: Cloudy golden yellow with 2 fingers of white head. Fades quickly to a film in less than 2 minutes and is completely gone by halfway through the glass. Small to moderate lacing. Looks very good for the first half but kind of falls flat in the end.

S: Very sweet. Heavy coconut - not a shocker. Actually pretty nice hefe scents - banana, bubble gum, fruit. Definitely on the more tropical side of things hefeweizen. Not too much clove-type spice. A little vanilla. Surprisingly subtle curry scent. It's there, but I'm not sure I would have picked up on it if it wasn't printed on the label.

T: Sweet though and through with a touch of light bitterness. Coconut. Fruit. Banana. While I don't detect much curry in the nose, it is more present in the taste. It builds over the course of the beer. A bit of curry-type heat on the finish, which actually could stand to be amped up a bit. No real alcohol presence despite 8% ABV.

M: Moderate to low carbonation for the style. A bit less effervescent than your typical hefeweizen, but definitely feels appropriate.

O: Pleasantly surprised. I am usually pretty disappointed with American "hefes", but this drank quite well with regards to the hefeweizen character. It lacks the depth of the top tier, but it's no slouch. I could have used a bit more heat from the spice-augmented burn. Certainly it is on the sweet side and the coconut proved cloying by the final sips. Glad I split the bomber, but definitely enjoyed the single glass.

Overall I find the LOF offerings to be a bit of a crap shoot, but I'm happy to say that this was a pretty nice experiment. I feel a little bit like a broken record, but "interesting beer".

Prost!

2.71/5  rDev -20.1%

When I saw this beer at TotalWine, I was super excited to try it. I love Coconut Curry flavor, and having that in a beer was so intriguing. When I checked out, the cashier even told me that she heard it was an amazing beer.

Honestly, I had no idea what to expect from such an unique flavored beer. It could be the most amazing thing or the worst thing ever.

The smell of the beer was very nice. I got notes of the spices - coriander, and a bit of clove. However, the taste was just not my thing. I definitely got the "curry" flavor, not so much of the coconut though. The beer was just a bit too cloying for me. I think it was the sweetness that threw me off.

I tried several sips, to give the beer a fair chance, but I just couldn't drink anymore. I love Hefeweizen beer. I like Coconut Curries, even beer with Coconut Curry dishes. But not Coconut Curry in my beer.

3.61/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Really, a BOISE review is the FIRST?? Christ, I have had this a few times in the last week... Folks are scared to enter this one first... I am too. :-)

The first 2x bottles that were shared with me showed a nice hazy golden brew with a decent short lasting white head... THIS bottle has tons of little flecks of what assume are spice or coconut remnants in it.. They are caking all over inside the glass... no head and no retention.. just specks of lord knows what.

The nose is fine and does deliver on the label's promise (sort of)... there is plenty of curry (garam masala??) with a nice toasty coconut aroma.. the hefe notes are lost and might be picked out as banana, but I am probably imagining things.

Flavor mirrors the nose with an everpresent "bite" from the curry that builds with subsequent sips.. Still the coconut comes up and out. A bit peppery and cardamom builds.. perhaps some cumin and coriander .. The only "hefe" notes I get might be from a bigger ABV fermented out into some banana and "my mind's palate" clove.

Pretty thick across the board with a connoisseur appreciation if done well... The brew delivers on all fronts... but for the "geeks", it is one and done...

3.25/3.5/3.75/3.75/3.5

3.67/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a cloudy caramel amber with tiny particulates and white coconut particles on the surface. Initially a thin white head, but it disappears immediately leaving only sparse bubbles, probably due to the particles at the surface. Intriguing aroma of mild malt, coconut and curry spices. Flavor follows, dominated by coconut and curry spices, especially allspice, cinnamon and clove; light neutral malt and light fruit; very little wheat character. Finish is somewhat abrupt, leaving lingering light hop and exotic spices. Medium bodied. A quite interesting spiced ale, but curry is perhaps not a great choice for an entire glass of beer. Considering that these are rather intense ingredients, this was well balanced although the weizen character was overwhelmed by the spicing. Worth it for the unique experience, but this will probably not be anyone's session ale. The appearance is really mediocre, so fortunately the aroma and flavor is fun and interesting. Odd, as I write this there is an interesting aftertaste of celery seed. Lots going on here.

3.92/5  rDev +15.6%

appearance: Very hazy. Not seeing the coconut floaties I keep hearing bout but definitely thick with something. Fairly dark yellow gold. Pretty thick off white head and lacing. Not a bad looking beer.
smell: Very nice. Sweet and spicy with nicely balanced coconut and curry front and center.
taste: more of the same. Quite a nice surprise. Based on reviews I was worried this would be a failed experiment. Not at all imo. Interesting and well executed. Again, coconut and curry well balanced and front and center sweet/spicy. NIce dry rich spice finish.
overall: Well done. Pairing this with red curry, pecan encrusted fish.

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Considering the complexity of this beer, I think it was quite delicious. The appearance is the perfect golden hue you'd expect from a hefe/wheat beer. I definitely could smell ginger, pepper and coriander moreso than coconut or curry. But, those 2 ingredients, upon tasting, cooled the other spices down.
All in all, for a complex 8% ABV beer, I'd recommend it.

3.51/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Coconut Curry Hefeweizen from their Lips Of Faith series last month for $8.69 at The Lager Mill. This beer caught my eye when I was at the beer store, it's sounds pretty odd, but I've had coconut curry shrimp a couple times and like it, but I don't know how it will work in a beer let alone a Hefeweizen, so lets see how it goes. Packaged in June 2013. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice and I like the design in the background, it may not be the most eye catching, but the name sure is. It poured a nice golden yellow color that took on more of a brighter and hazy golden color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring and left some spotty lacing behind. There were also a good amount of floaties that may be from the yeast. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but the floaties hurt it a little.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation followed by some nice fruity aromas up front with some banana and coconut aromas coming through nicely. Up next comes some nice curry aromas with allspice and cinnamon sticking out the most and towards the end comes a nice wheaty aroma. I thought the aroma was good and it was just as advertised.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some banana and wheat flavors showing up first and it's followed by a quick splash of coconut. Up next there's a good amount of complex curry flavors with cinnamon sticking out the most for me and there's a medium amount of bitterness with a light fruity and curry like aftertaste. This was a good and unique beer that was just as advertised.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, with a super weird tingly sensation that I've never gotten in a beer before and it must be from the curry. On the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and pretty unique with that tingly feeling in my mouth.

Overall I thought this was a good beer, it's hard to classify this beer, it's still got some Hefeweizen aspects but the added coconut and curry make this a different kind of beer all together but as far as experimental beers go I would say this is a good example. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smoother then I expected, but a whole bottle would border on being too much for me, but the flavor did do a good job at holding my attention but I could see how it could start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was how interesting and unique it was, I can't say I've had a beer that tastes similar to this. What I liked the least was pretty much nothing for the most part, but I wish the coconut came through a little more in the flavor and aroma. I don't know if I'll buy another bottle from this release but if they release it again there's a good chance I will try it and I would recommend it to anyone that thinks the name of this beer sounds interesting, I don't think I would recommend it to someone who doesn't like curry. All in all I enjoyed this beer, I don't think I have ever had a beer that was this odd but somehow worked out well that wasn't made by Shorts. Good job guys, this must have been a risky beer to make, but I like a brewery that takes risks and I really like how unique most of these Lips Of Faith beers have been, keep up the good and creative work guys.

3.77/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy golden-yellow pour with a fluffy two finger white head with decent retention but minimal lacing. The nose is huge, spicy, and really unique. Ginger notes dominate along with hints of coconut, lemon, cloves, curry, pears, and some subtle banana. The taste follows suit with the ginger once again dominating and the curry and coconut emerging as it warms. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a snappy, tingly bite on the finish. Overall, this was a surprising beer considering the low ratings. Although it's not a beer I would typically seek out, it was just crazy enough that I had to give it a shot. Very refreshing and I'd love to try cooking with it.

3.13/5  rDev -7.7%

Cloudy orange colored beer with a tall white colored head.

Smells strongly of coconut and spice. But that doesn't quite do it justice. The spice makes my eyes water a sure indication there is ginger in this. Banana and cloves with citrus there is a lot in here but it also sort of clashes. Smells like a beer born of a drunk midnight brainstorming session. Except this one got made.

Starts out mildly sour.with a coconut milk flavor and the faint taste of curry. This has a little heat to it. The curry part of this doesn't really come together it is just heavily spiced. Tastes like I'm drinking a weak Thai curry.

Mouthfeel is on the light side for the beer style.

Overall its a weird beer, that is why I bought it. Can't say it is bad, just that once you have tried a bottle you won't want to try it again.

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Color- cloudy, thick medium honey. Slight head.

Aroma- sweet with a slight turmeric and white pepper.

Taste- Starts with mild coconut then enters spices including mild turmeric, hint of clove and tiny hint of nutmeg, finishing with a smooth semi-sweet coconut finish. A truly unique and complex brew. Would pair well with Thai food such as masaman curry.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 10/14/2013.

4.39/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a- nice foggy unfiltered hefe

S- Look I know it doesn't smell like grapefruit or chocolate...It is not supposed to. One of the most interesting noses

T- Its almost parallel to what it says, bananas, coconut, and some spice

M- a little thick but coconut and 8% what would you expect

O- I heard about bad bottles, this was not one. I think a lot of the bad ratings are due to hop heads and beer geek purists. I thought this beer was balanced and fun. Probably wont age well with the coconut, however on this date it was surprise and a great treat.

1.86/5  rDev -45.1%

This beer tricked me. My first experience was an ounce sample to see if I wanted the full pint. These two sips were really not enough to fully appreciate how awful this beer is. The sample was actually decent and definitely different. It intrigued me enough to try it. The sample taste crisp with a slight hot spice. There was almost no taste of the curry. As soon as I tasted the full pint I knew I had made a terrible mistake. The smell of curry powder was almost overpowering and was followed by a nearly unbearable taste. All I could taste was curry powder. I have a hard time describing this as a beer because to me it was curry powder mixed in carbonated water. I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

4.19/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a balloon glass.

The body is a murky tangerine color, very light orange. A frothy eggshell head recedes to a bubbly wisp. Light spotty lacing.

The aroma is basic, lots of coconut up front with spicy pepper in the back.

The taste is a little more complex, with a sweet fruit coating over the coconut body. It's followed up with a light peppery kick.

The mouthfeel is bright and clean.

Overall, I think this is a really tasty, interesting beer. I enjoyed it a lot.

to view more.