Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry HefeweizenLips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-09-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen Alström Bros
4.86/5  rDev +36.9%

a: what you would expect from a hefe. straw yellow and hazy. head has some coconut
oil in it

s: up front hints of lime and coconut then ends with hints wheat

t: starts with light notes of lime and coconut, follows through with the butteriness of
coconut, then flavors of the curry spices. and last but not least the cayenne sneaks
through and ends with a lemony finish

m: smooth and refreshing with a buttery coconut oil hint

overall its great totally recommend it to anyone that likes a bit of spice and something new. however i kinda wish the curry was a bit more prominent and same with the cayenne,maybe not as much as ballast point did with there habanero sculpin

4.67/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Coconut Curry pours a a cloudy bright yellow color with no head. There is a sweet aroma with strong curry notes. The taste is sweet, with strong creamy curry flavors. Flavors are present, and blend very well; coconut is barley noticeable. Overall a very fantastic and different beer.

4.39/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a- nice foggy unfiltered hefe

S- Look I know it doesn't smell like grapefruit or chocolate...It is not supposed to. One of the most interesting noses

T- Its almost parallel to what it says, bananas, coconut, and some spice

M- a little thick but coconut and 8% what would you expect

O- I heard about bad bottles, this was not one. I think a lot of the bad ratings are due to hop heads and beer geek purists. I thought this beer was balanced and fun. Probably wont age well with the coconut, however on this date it was surprise and a great treat.

4.39/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Hazy, pale amber color. Quickly dissipating, creamy head that really didn't build like most hefeweizens. Great lacing, though.

Smell: Very sweet up front. I can't say it smells exactly like coconut, but there is definitely something different going on. It reminds me of young plums, maybe white raisins... Banana, strong cinnamon, notes of clove, gingerbread, and coriander follow.

Taste is a lot like the smell. The first wave is typical hefe banana, but the fruity flavor and christmassy spices show up quickly thereafter. Midway, the coconut finally stands out on its own, but only for a moment, before the curry emerges and the heat begins to build against the sweetness. The spicy finish leaves a yeasty, coconut-toned, burning sensation behind. Really nice beginning to end.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium-light body with prickly carbonation. Love the lingering heat from the curry!

Overall: Man, this was a fun one! All kinds of things going on! So many of the aromas and flavors I love most in food were represented in this beer. The way the flavors entered, faded, and played together seemed almost choreographed. I'm really glad I had the opportunity to try this. If given the chance, I would definitely have again.

4.34/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful fiery orange body, with a bubbly off white head that disappears quicker than a paycheck at a strip club, leaving not a trace.

Smells very sweet, almost candy like, with a very distinct orange scent and faint notes of spices like coriander and cinnamon with just a hint of curry on the end of the nose.

The taste is very much similar,but, there is a bit more of a standard hefeweizen flavors; banana backbone with orange up front and a bit more forward on the coriander. The finish is a tiny bit hot, no doubt due to the curry. Overall a truly unique and quite impressive interpretation of a hefeweizen.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation is quite prickly while the finish is a bit dry, with a bit of heat following.

Surprisingly drinkable.

Quite a nice beer, very interesting and a bit different. I like it.

4.32/5  rDev +21.7%

I was soooo excited when I saw our store had gotten this one in, im sure I will be as disappointed with one as I have with most of "experimental" beers I have tried lately... but I hope not, Indian cuisine is one of my favs only proceeded by thai!

a: extremely cloudy!! its easy to see this is a true UNFILTERED hefe styl, I think I even saw some rather large chunks/floaties in the bottle. color is a almost glowing apricot color with a quickly dissipating foamy white head, which under lies some noticeabley sized goobers which I would guess to be curry perhaps?

s: not getting much coconut here, the curry aromas are there though, not getting any hop aromas and getting a bunch of wheat.

t: whoa!! I can't believe it!! this is great!! I thought for sure this was going to be a bomb! the coconut is very faint and in the background, not the focus at all, at least not in this bottle. You really get punched in the face with the curry though!! I LOVE curry. "Curry! Curry!!" I;m also tasting very significantly what reminds me of a giant bowl of steamy white sticky rice!? maybe this was brewed with rice and wheat, idk but whatever it is its great. I could go for some indian and or thai to go with this RIGHT NOW! The crazy thing about this beer is that its totally a hefewiezen, the wheat is there all the way but not too strong, it also leaves a warming sensation in your stomach!

o.v. Its for the times and experiences like this that I love beer so much, this one caught my completely by surprise and I love that. if you like hefewiezens, curry and or coconut TRY THIS! I did drink this abnormally cold for an ale, and it didn't seem as good as it warmed which is uncharacteristic for an ale.

4.29/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Poured form bomber bottle into a regular pint glass.

A vigorous pour produced a small white head. Hazy yellow beer with small bubbles and lots of sediment. Very cloudy and exactly what I would expect a hefeweizen to look like.

Smell is so sweet, with a coconut over load. Hints of topical fruit, and no big alcohol smell at all. Probably one of the best and most unique smelling beers I have had.

Taste is wonderful, I'm tasting banana, coconut, and at the end the heat of the curry is absolutely wonderful. If you like hefenweizen and are into beers with a peppery heat you should love this beer. I used to drink a lot of Paulaner hefenweizen and just loved that beer, to me this beer takes that beer and puts it into overdrive.

Mouth feel is really smooth and light.

Overall this is not a typical beer by any standard. But Lips of Faith pulls off something spectacular with this very interesting beer.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Color- cloudy, thick medium honey. Slight head.

Aroma- sweet with a slight turmeric and white pepper.

Taste- Starts with mild coconut then enters spices including mild turmeric, hint of clove and tiny hint of nutmeg, finishing with a smooth semi-sweet coconut finish. A truly unique and complex brew. Would pair well with Thai food such as masaman curry.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 10/14/2013.

4.21/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a New Belgium Globe glass. Bottled in June 2013.

Appearance: Pours a very cloudy pale yellowish golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About two fingers of white head that quickly fade into a thin patchy layer. A few pieces of white floating sediment. Decent lacing.

Smell: A spicy, yeasty, and fruity wheat aroma with a fairly big scent of hot spices. Big mix of spices upfront with hints of cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, coriander, allspice, and some other spices unfamiliar to me. The spices do give an Indian food style of scent. Bready wheat and pale malt presence with hints of grains, straw, Hefeweizen yeast, and cracker. Hints of coconut, banana, and citrus fruit with some orange, pineapple, and lemon zest. Hops are pretty subtle. A very odd but good wheat beer aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a very spice forward taste with a solid mix of wheat Hefeweizen notes. Big mix of hot spices upfront with notes of cinnamon, ginger, red cayenne pepper, allspice, coriander, and some other spices. The spices give an Indian curry like taste that is spicy but not overwhelmingly hot. Bready wheat presence with notes of Hefeweizen yeast, straw, grains, and cracker. Taste of coconut and banana along with citrus notes of pineapple, orange, and lemon zest. Very laid back hop presence. A very interesting and good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very spicy but surprisingly smooth. Some heat is felt but its more from the spice than alcohol.

Overall: A very unique and good twist on a Hefeweizen style beer. Big but not overwhelming kick of spices that blend well with the wheat beer notes.

4.19/5  rDev +18%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a balloon glass.

The body is a murky tangerine color, very light orange. A frothy eggshell head recedes to a bubbly wisp. Light spotty lacing.

The aroma is basic, lots of coconut up front with spicy pepper in the back.

The taste is a little more complex, with a sweet fruit coating over the coconut body. It's followed up with a light peppery kick.

The mouthfeel is bright and clean.

Overall, I think this is a really tasty, interesting beer. I enjoyed it a lot.

4.16/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Really happy to see another round of bizarre Lips Of Faith from New Belgium. They really stepped out of the box it seemed when I saw this bottle.

The hefe pours out a rich hazy, gold with a hint of amber/orange. The head flairs a bit and is slightly off white and bumpy. It settles down into this strange spotty fuzz that for some reason reminds me of a moldy surface of a fruit.

And... what is this? It appears I have a coconut shaving in my beer... maybe a few. Interesting... Unfiltered glory!

(Really, I found a few shavings...)

The smell is robust. You definitely get a great deal of intermingling between the coconut and the curry. Both are very prominent. There is a lot of pineapple going on with it and some earthy pepper. It smells fairly sweet. In the background you catch a hint of the banana-y hefe. Kind of a dirty scent as well, but not off-putting. It has all the hallmarks of walking into an Indian restaurant. The robust pungency is a bit in your face. Which can be good and bad at times.

Taste... wow, I knew the smell had this beer all wrapped up but I just can't believe to some degree that this was pulled off in a manner that actually comes together and works pretty well. The coconut and curry is right up there, blaring. You get a hint of cayenne pepper toward the end and a bouquet of banana, pineapple, clove, maybe a touch of licorice, and a rich and sweet hefe. The hefe comes through pretty well among the boisterous flavors and competition.

Mouthfeel is pretty wonderful. A creamy, medium to heavy body. The carbonation is very complimentary and the alcohol gives a nice warmth to the mouth that flows evenly with the warmth of the cayenne and curry. Not what I might consider refreshing, but weighing in at 8%ABV, this is a great body for such a hefe.

Overall, pretty aggressive. Aggressive keeps coming to mind. It really drives it home and lets you know what it has in store for you. A part of me likes it, a part of me kind of wants another. But at the same time, I have a hard time picturing myself 'in the mood' to drink this kind of thing. Even if I were dying for Indian food, I just don't know. It was quite well accomplished though, it wasn't gross whatsoever and it was interesting and pretty easy to drink all the way through. I can't think of how you could makes such a strange thing better, but at the same time I am left with the same crushing thought of, "When might I want to drink this again?" Maybe a camping trip in the spring?

Ah! Great job to New Belgium for pulling it off! It was good overall.

4.16/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I don't know how to go about this beer. For what they were going for, they nailed it. Aromas of curry actually come through in a pleasant way without being too much. The bottle had quite a bit of particulate - to be expected. Overall, I applaud the creativity and willingness to chart into new territory, however, I wouldn't seek this out again. It's a one and done.

4.14/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

There has been a lot of hate floating around about this beer, I feel obligated to share my experience.

Pours a cloudy dingy yellow, a good amount of frothy white foam, and like others, mounds of floaties. I've since read this could be coconut oil congealing, which I'm not afraid of. It does look gross, though.

Sweet spice on the nose is reminiscent of pumpkin ales while coconut lends just enough tropical sweetness to pique interest. Hints of red pepper linger on the back of the nose.

It's surprisingly milky smooth on the palate while zesty bubbles provide a welcome dichotomy. A touch of coconut sweetness mellows everything out, peppery spiciness picks up with subsequent sipping. All hefe on the finish.

A lot of people have had a bad experience with this beer, maybe from the coconut oil oxidizing (which it apparently is more susceptible to) but mine was great. If you're able to somehow find a good bottle, I highly recommend it.

4.12/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours traditional hefeweizen: a hazy orange with a thick but quickly dissipating head. Tons of free floating yeast, oddly, since I was under the impression New Belgium pasteurized. Not a bad thing, but worth noting.

Absolutely lovely aroma. Just beautiful. Hefe front but tons of cococnut and curry powder on the back end. It ain’t traditional curry but still. I’ve had a lot of weird beers and this actually smells enticing.

Hefe yeast comes through strong in the taste. Amazingly strong, actually, but very much tempered by the spicing. This tastes almost like a mulled beer, and as it warms it gets better. The curry taste is absolutely fantastic, with hints of cinnamon and a blast of coconut on the back end. This is way more than I expected.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Somewhat dry at first, but the spicing lays around the gums and tongue and makes you want another sip. Way too easy to drink for 8% but not in a bad way.

Overall a pretty amazing beer that way, way surpassed expectations. The only reason I’d hesitate to buy again is the price point, but otherwise, amazed me.

4.11/5  rDev +15.8%

Cloudy orange color with large dense white foamy head. No lacing to speak of, but nice complexity.

Tons of coconut, milky, wheaty, celery, curry, spice.

Drinks very well. Not think or syrupy, but has nice body and complexity. Carbonation is a perfect medium. Coconut is not sugary; helps dim the could be overwhelming spice. Wheat-y-ness is nearly buried, but provides nice smooth balance.

One of the better LoF in recent productions. I would recommend this brew as a good spice brew; a sipper to be shared. I won't seek again. but it should be tried and not snubbed. Unique.

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

Bomber bottled June 2013 at 40 degrees into weizen glass
Aroma of coconut and curry – delightful!
Head large (7.5 cm), off white, frothy, slowly diminishing into a 1-2 mm layer
Lacing OK – multiple islands of varying sizes with primarily tiny bubbles
Body medium yellow, hazy – much bottom sediment and one large surface floater
Flavor of coconut and Thai curry – not too spicy, just very flavorful; no hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, soft carbonation

Appearance 3.25, Aroma 4, Flavor 4.5, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.81. Final weighted score: 4.1
This was a good example (for me) of trying something against my better judgment and being well rewarded. I’ve been disappointed by most New Belgium offerings and only tried this because I love Thai curries. Surprise! This is a very aromatic beer in which I can actually taste the coconut mulled with the spices – a mild curry but still very good. Gotta find the sales receipt from whence this came to buy some more.

4.08/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance - Classic light gold, cloudy Hefeweizen. very thin white head.

Aroma - Banana, and clove are there but they're quite muted. I get a bit of sweet banana nut bread, and maybe even a bit of curry.

Taste - Banana nut bread, sweet coconut, and a slight bite of curry / cayenne on the back end. This is incredibly refreshing.

Mouthfeel - Thick, chewy, and a bit under carbonated.

Overall - I don't see why people are rating this negatively (especially if they're not fans of curry... or indian cuisine) the beer is amazing for the style they're going for. Well done! I hope to one day see NB age this in a barrel of some sort... maybe "new oak" or even tequila.

4.04/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Pint glass, head came and went with minimal lace. Aroma held sweetness and spice and maybe a hint of citrus, the taste is where this beer shines! With the first sip coconut hits the roof of the mouth and curry follows on the tongue with a nice Hefeweizen holding it all together, solid and not overpowering but instead has you looking for the next sip of such a interesting flavor combo for beer. Overall if you drink with a open mind and enjoy trying everything you should be very pleased, I know I was!

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

On tap at Newhall Refinery in Newhall, CA.

Pours a hazy yellow with a foamy bone head that settles to a small cap on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, coconut, spice, and earth aromas. Taste is much the same with coconut milk, cinnamon, and spice flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with some nice sweet and spice qualities but I am not getting any distinct curry presence in the smell or taste.

3.94/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

not easy to pull something like this off without being offensive in some way, but this does it expertly. not as good as the version from ballast point, whatever that thing was, but still a great use of curry in beer. gorgeous pour, cloudy dull peach color, with a thick and creamy off white head with excellent retention. the nose is yellow curry powder and a hint of ginger, hefe yeast, and maybe a touch of sweetness from coconut, but that element is really in the background. the flavor is surprisingly not overdosed on curry, its there, but so is an earthy coconut milk sweetness, a full bodied wheat malt, a hint of booze, and an herbal freshness that really sets it off. still get banana and clove from the yeast too, which is a fine compliment to the spicy curry. as balanced as a beer like this can get, this is the first of the lips of faith beers to impress me in awhile. full bodied for they style, extraordinary flavorfully long finish, and carbonated enough to keep it drinkable. great effort here, a must try for the adventurous.

3.92/5  rDev +10.4%

appearance: Very hazy. Not seeing the coconut floaties I keep hearing bout but definitely thick with something. Fairly dark yellow gold. Pretty thick off white head and lacing. Not a bad looking beer.
smell: Very nice. Sweet and spicy with nicely balanced coconut and curry front and center.
taste: more of the same. Quite a nice surprise. Based on reviews I was worried this would be a failed experiment. Not at all imo. Interesting and well executed. Again, coconut and curry well balanced and front and center sweet/spicy. NIce dry rich spice finish.
overall: Well done. Pairing this with red curry, pecan encrusted fish.

3.92/5  rDev +10.4%

22 ounce bottle into signature globe glass; bottled in June 2013. Pours very hazy golden amber color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense off white head with decent retention, that reduces to a ring of lace that lingers. Minimal lacing on the glass, with a light amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big banana, pear, apple, coconut, clove, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne, ginger, wheat, bread, floral, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Nice and unique aromas with good complexity and decent balance of hefeweizen, coconut, and spice notes; with good strength. Spices were overpowering in the nose. Taste of big banana, pear, wheat, bread, coconut, clove, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, lime, light bubblegum, floral, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of banana, pear, wheat, bread, coconut, clove, cinnamon, ginger, coriander, light bubblegum, herbal, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance, robustness, and complexity of malt, yeast, and spice flavors; with a great malt/spice balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a moderately creamy and lightly slick mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice spiced hefeweizen style. Aromas were overpowering with spices, but the taste was extremely well balanced and delicious. A very enjoyable offering.

3.9/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Very aromatic. Banana, pear, coriander, spice. Color is not quite right. Head is very nice but quickly fades. Minimal lacing. Taste is unique with a pleasantly surprising spicy finish that is welcoming on the palate and lingers. Overall a very nice experience and am glad to have tried it but will not be seeking it out anytime soon.

3.9/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served in a snifter at Tap House - Des Plaines.

Continuing my run through some LoF beers in the shadow of Svengoolie, let's try out the Coconut Curry Hef, shall we? It pours a cloudy tawny-orange topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises cinnamon, light allspice, clove, coconut milk, and a bit of orange zest. The taste brings in more of the same, the spices taking charge and mixing well with the coconut milk. In addition, the orange zest now comes across more as chocolate-covered candied orange peel, and a bit of exotic spiciness enters the fray (I'm guessing the curry here). The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly creamy feel. Overall, a surprisingly really good beer. The flavors mix extremely well and meld very nicely with the base hef. The bartender and I agree here.

3.9/5  rDev +9.9%

This beer caught my eye on the shelf, as I'm a fan of coconut curries and of coconut deftly used in a beer. They've certainly been pumping out the Lips of Faith beers, and many are a little blah, but I thought the flavors here might shine through. That they do, and fairly pleasantly as well. Fairly aggressive yellow curry flavors dominate, but without developing any acridness. The coconut is more subdued, and I'd like to see a bit more of it. The hefe base is already fairly well taken over by the other assertive elements, and some more coconut could help beef up the body and add some silkiness. Right now it comes off as a curry that's a little thin. Still, all around a pretty decent effort and the flavors are fairly spot on even if the body isn't.

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen from New Belgium Brewing