Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry HefeweizenLips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-09-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen Alström Bros
khargro2

SoCaliC8

01-16-2014 05:13:00 | More by SoCaliC8
n8opot8o

1.25/5  rDev -62.8%

I love experimental beers--I even liked the BEET BEER New Belgium served on tap at the brewery awhile back. Now, with the beet beer, a pint is about all you can handle and all that you need to really appreciate and bask in the weirdness. It's great to try, smile and nod, and know that you're enjoying something truly unique--and, doggonit, good for New Belgium for thinking outside the box. I'd drink that beet beer by the barrel-full before ever having even a sip of this "Coconut Curry" tragedy again.

For starters, the appearance is gross. Flat-out gross. There are chunks of who-knows-what (coconut? lime? plastic? disease?) bobbing at the top and floating all around the glass. Initially the chunks were trying to hide in a foamy, white head, but as that quickly dissipated, there they are, staring at me. There's so much of whatever it is floating around in there, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to scrub out my glass when done. And the mystery floaters certainly don't look anything like any coconut I've ever seen. The beer, itself, is opaque and the color of dehydration urine.

I don't know if the bottle I got was infected but it smells like melting plastic mixed with a very faint, artificial car-freshener coconut smell. I don't smell curry or anything resembling spices you can buy anywhere, not even the most obscure spice market. It makes me want to gag--this is definitely the first beer I've ever had this experience with. I could use a lot of words to describe the aroma but magnificent is not one of them. If you blindfolded me and told me to smell and drink this, I would tell you to go jump off a bridge.

Just like the smell, it tastes like melting plastic. It doesn't taste anything like a hefeweizen. It doesn't taste like coconut or curry or spice. Melting plastic. As it warms, it only gets worse and I only get more and more sad that I'm giving it so many chances to convince me that it's even a mediocre beer. It leaves an aftertaste that makes me want to sandpaper my tongue and plug my nose with a clothespin until I get the chance to brush my teeth and gargle with gasoline.

The mouthfeel is awful. If it weren't for the chunks, it may have been the only tolerable thing about this beer.

In closing, I'm not joking: there is something majorly wrong with this beer. If a really bad homebrewer was to take a filthy, sweat-soaked sock that he's been wearing for three weeks and threw it into his carboy along with a handful of dirt and a chunk of coconut air-freshener, mid-fermentation, and the carboy had never been sealed from outside air and he didn't even know anything about soap and sanitizing, I imagine that his end-result would be a better beer. I don't drain-pour often, but see ya later.

09-02-2013 23:28:31 | More by n8opot8o
pschie1

Tennessee

1.25/5  rDev -62.8%

10-19-2013 23:32:42 | More by pschie1
jscheuf

1.3/5  rDev -61.3%

Not sure how high everyone was at the brewery when they came up with this... but it was defiantly horriblle. The curry floating on top was very unappealing and almost had a grits like texture when it went down the coconut was faint and crept up slightly behind the wheat and curry. Huge New Belgium fan but this was just straight up bad haha

02-25-2014 17:09:09 | More by jscheuf

JohnnyHopps

Indiana

1.78/5  rDev -47%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - The beer had the yellow of a hefe, but the floaties at the top made it appearance that somebody had desolved Alka Seltzer in my beer.

Smell - I detect the spice of the curry immediately, and it reminds me of Thai food. On the other had, there is something plastic-y in the aroma the reminds me of those wax figures at the museum.

Taste - This tastes like spicy wax gum or perhaps spicy plastic. There are a hint of lime and the some of the notes of a hefe hidden here. After I about three sips, something tells me I should not be drinking this beer. Most of us call that feeling heartburn. There is a mediciny spice in the aftertaste, but it just reinforces the fact that this is not good.

Mouthfeel - This actually seems on par with the style, though the weird foam at the top is a bit unsightly.

Overall - I hate saying this is one of the worst beers I have ever had, but it is definitely not good. This was a dumper.

10-26-2013 12:49:01 | More by JohnnyHopps
hardy008

1.78/5  rDev -47%

Hazy dark gold with an off white head which fades quickly leaving little lacing. The aroma has coconut, curry, and some wheat. Even though the aroma delivers what the bottle advertises, I'm not sure this is a good combination.

The taste has coconut, curry, and there is a light amount of wheat. The taste is what is promised on the bottle, but it does not seem to work very well. Maybe the problem is adding coconut and curry to a hefeweizen? Another style of beer might have been a better choice. Too bad this doesn't work, because I like coconut and curry, but they aren't working here.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. Not to my liking unfortunately, I won't be buying this again.

09-21-2013 02:44:35 | More by hardy008
Scandalousmrt

1.83/5  rDev -45.5%

This beer tricked me. My first experience was an ounce sample to see if I wanted the full pint. These two sips were really not enough to fully appreciate how awful this beer is. The sample was actually decent and definitely different. It intrigued me enough to try it. The sample taste crisp with a slight hot spice. There was almost no taste of the curry. As soon as I tasted the full pint I knew I had made a terrible mistake. The smell of curry powder was almost overpowering and was followed by a nearly unbearable taste. All I could taste was curry powder. I have a hard time describing this as a beer because to me it was curry powder mixed in carbonated water. I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

03-30-2014 21:49:03 | More by Scandalousmrt