Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry HefeweizenLips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-09-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 397 | Reviews: 79
1.26/5  rDev -62.8%

I love experimental beers--I even liked the BEET BEER New Belgium served on tap at the brewery awhile back. Now, with the beet beer, a pint is about all you can handle and all that you need to really appreciate and bask in the weirdness. It's great to try, smile and nod, and know that you're enjoying something truly unique--and, doggonit, good for New Belgium for thinking outside the box. I'd drink that beet beer by the barrel-full before ever having even a sip of this "Coconut Curry" tragedy again.

For starters, the appearance is gross. Flat-out gross. There are chunks of who-knows-what (coconut? lime? plastic? disease?) bobbing at the top and floating all around the glass. Initially the chunks were trying to hide in a foamy, white head, but as that quickly dissipated, there they are, staring at me. There's so much of whatever it is floating around in there, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to scrub out my glass when done. And the mystery floaters certainly don't look anything like any coconut I've ever seen. The beer, itself, is opaque and the color of dehydration urine.

I don't know if the bottle I got was infected but it smells like melting plastic mixed with a very faint, artificial car-freshener coconut smell. I don't smell curry or anything resembling spices you can buy anywhere, not even the most obscure spice market. It makes me want to gag--this is definitely the first beer I've ever had this experience with. I could use a lot of words to describe the aroma but magnificent is not one of them. If you blindfolded me and told me to smell and drink this, I would tell you to go jump off a bridge.

Just like the smell, it tastes like melting plastic. It doesn't taste anything like a hefeweizen. It doesn't taste like coconut or curry or spice. Melting plastic. As it warms, it only gets worse and I only get more and more sad that I'm giving it so many chances to convince me that it's even a mediocre beer. It leaves an aftertaste that makes me want to sandpaper my tongue and plug my nose with a clothespin until I get the chance to brush my teeth and gargle with gasoline.

The mouthfeel is awful. If it weren't for the chunks, it may have been the only tolerable thing about this beer.

In closing, I'm not joking: there is something majorly wrong with this beer. If a really bad homebrewer was to take a filthy, sweat-soaked sock that he's been wearing for three weeks and threw it into his carboy along with a handful of dirt and a chunk of coconut air-freshener, mid-fermentation, and the carboy had never been sealed from outside air and he didn't even know anything about soap and sanitizing, I imagine that his end-result would be a better beer. I don't drain-pour often, but see ya later.

1.34/5  rDev -60.5%

Not sure how high everyone was at the brewery when they came up with this... but it was defiantly horriblle. The curry floating on top was very unappealing and almost had a grits like texture when it went down the coconut was faint and crept up slightly behind the wheat and curry. Huge New Belgium fan but this was just straight up bad haha

1.81/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - The beer had the yellow of a hefe, but the floaties at the top made it appearance that somebody had desolved Alka Seltzer in my beer.

Smell - I detect the spice of the curry immediately, and it reminds me of Thai food. On the other had, there is something plastic-y in the aroma the reminds me of those wax figures at the museum.

Taste - This tastes like spicy wax gum or perhaps spicy plastic. There are a hint of lime and the some of the notes of a hefe hidden here. After I about three sips, something tells me I should not be drinking this beer. Most of us call that feeling heartburn. There is a mediciny spice in the aftertaste, but it just reinforces the fact that this is not good.

Mouthfeel - This actually seems on par with the style, though the weird foam at the top is a bit unsightly.

Overall - I hate saying this is one of the worst beers I have ever had, but it is definitely not good. This was a dumper.

1.81/5  rDev -46.6%

Hazy dark gold with an off white head which fades quickly leaving little lacing. The aroma has coconut, curry, and some wheat. Even though the aroma delivers what the bottle advertises, I'm not sure this is a good combination.

The taste has coconut, curry, and there is a light amount of wheat. The taste is what is promised on the bottle, but it does not seem to work very well. Maybe the problem is adding coconut and curry to a hefeweizen? Another style of beer might have been a better choice. Too bad this doesn't work, because I like coconut and curry, but they aren't working here.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. Not to my liking unfortunately, I won't be buying this again.

1.86/5  rDev -45.1%

This beer tricked me. My first experience was an ounce sample to see if I wanted the full pint. These two sips were really not enough to fully appreciate how awful this beer is. The sample was actually decent and definitely different. It intrigued me enough to try it. The sample taste crisp with a slight hot spice. There was almost no taste of the curry. As soon as I tasted the full pint I knew I had made a terrible mistake. The smell of curry powder was almost overpowering and was followed by a nearly unbearable taste. All I could taste was curry powder. I have a hard time describing this as a beer because to me it was curry powder mixed in carbonated water. I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

2.21/5  rDev -34.8%

For fans of "oddball" beers, this might be worth a try. The coconut hit up front, and there was a bite of curry later in the taste. There was less "beer" flavor that other flavors, it seemed to me.

The combination didn't work for me, but I am not a big fan of fruit or spiced beer.

2.58/5  rDev -23.9%

The best thing I can say about this beer is that it gets better as you drink it. What seems like a kick in the palate at first mellows out as you drink, provided that you drink VERY, very slowly. Still, it seems throughout the experience that there are spices in there that don't need to be there. I'm talking about cloves. Also, possibly nutmeg and cinnamon? I'm not entirely sure what ridiculous blend of spices is supposed to be "curry" but it is not what I wanted. It tasted like it could be really pleasant if it weren't for all these damn cloves and some other stuff making it taste like somebody dropped a big pile of Christmas into what WAS a "coconut curry" flavoured beer. It just doesn't seem to belong. When I saw coconut-curry, I was thinking "fuck yeah, a beer that sort of tastes like peshwari naan? That would be awesome." But it wasn't anything like that. Cloves? The hell? Don't pour your Christmas spices all over my coconut curry! Too much going on here for me to keep track of. And it's a huge problem.

2.68/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Extremely hazy golden colored body, very characteristic of a Hefeweizen. Uncharacteristicly small head and poor head retention. There's a lot of little white floaters in here. I'm unsure if it's yeast or coconut bits but they're all over the place.

S: Not much on the nose. There's a hint of spice, it's an earthy curry scent. I can't really put my finger on it, it's like a honeydew scent mixed with parsley or something.

T: I pick up what might be coconut, it's a toasty flavor so I'm guessing that's the coconut. It's not like eating a coconut doughnut or anything, but there's the back-toasted flavor. I get the curry in there, but it's not a strong hot curry, it's a mellow earthy flavor. It's not bad but there isn't much of the beer coming through. For a Hefe, I'd love to get some of that wheat flavor in there. It's far too clean tasting and mostly the curry comes out.

M: The mouthfeel isn't really thick enough and it's way under-carbonated. I'm barely even seeing any bubbles in here.

O: Overall this wasn't a win in my eyes. I didn't get much coconut, the curry tasted good but there wasn't any real beer to back it up. It was way under-carbonated which killed the enjoyment for me. I love those big bubbly Hefe's with a strong white head. I wouldn't really recommend it.

2.7/5  rDev -20.4%

Bottle from Tipples. Some scummy yeast floating on top when I popped the cap. Yuck. Pours a cloudy yellow with a big fluffy head with not much retention as it dissipates immediately. Funky yeast aroma with, yes, curry mixed in along with the standard clove and banana. Flavor is heavy curry spice, banana, yeast, clove, and a dirty finish. High prickly carbonation and light to medium bodied--a bit on the syrupy side for a hefe. Lingering taste of Indian food on the palate. Perhaps I should have waited for when I had Indian food to improve this. Overall I am not sure I want to drink this whole bottle but I guess I’ll try my best. Not completely terrible but very meh.

2.71/5  rDev -20.1%

When I saw this beer at TotalWine, I was super excited to try it. I love Coconut Curry flavor, and having that in a beer was so intriguing. When I checked out, the cashier even told me that she heard it was an amazing beer.

Honestly, I had no idea what to expect from such an unique flavored beer. It could be the most amazing thing or the worst thing ever.

The smell of the beer was very nice. I got notes of the spices - coriander, and a bit of clove. However, the taste was just not my thing. I definitely got the "curry" flavor, not so much of the coconut though. The beer was just a bit too cloying for me. I think it was the sweetness that threw me off.

I tried several sips, to give the beer a fair chance, but I just couldn't drink anymore. I love Hefeweizen beer. I like Coconut Curries, even beer with Coconut Curry dishes. But not Coconut Curry in my beer.

2.83/5  rDev -16.5%

22 oz bottle. Pours hazy dark golden yellow with a medium fizzy white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is lots of perfumey curry spices with some wheat and a little fruit.

The flavor is a little sweet fruit with a lot of curry spices. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, interesting curry beer but very one-dimensional and over the top with the spice. I didn't really get any coconut.

2.95/5  rDev -13%

Well, what an interesting mix. Figured I’d try a few ounce pour of this to see what the story was. Smells of cinnamon and coconut, and looks of a vibrant yellow. Taste is a battle between coconut, hops, and cinnamon, with cinnamon usually winning out. The curry spice doesn’t take hold until the finish, and which point it provides some hints of yellow curry. Not something I could drink a pint of, but certainly something interesting and different, and surprisingly much better than expected.

2.97/5  rDev -12.4%

22 oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.
8% ABV,

A - Chunky eggshell colored lace clutches the glass following the dense head's departure, sinking into the hazed apricot orange beer.

S - Curry by itself isn't bad, but when it's the focal point of a beer's aroma, not only does it become incredibly off-putting to me, but it completely blankets everything else this beer might have to offer. I smell no characteristic of a Hefeweizen, especially an 8% ABV one for that matter. In fact, i smell nothing but curry. It's like a trip down memory lane to my wife-then-girlfriend's condo with Indian neighbors who stunk up the whole floor.

T - After the offensive aroma, the taste takes a considerable step back and allows more than curry through, like some actual beer flavor! Pale malt offers notes of sweetness and graininess as well, transitioning into suggestions of banana and clove, but the likeness of a Hefeweizen is certainly not here when this beer finishes with a blend of spices, most notably curry. Coconut shavings are sprinkled on top, almost like an afterthought.

M - When the beer's huge amount of spice is considered, it's amazing how little it plays through into the feel, really landing at a tame, balanced dry finish that works wonderfully with the smooth, medium body and lingering touch of sweetness.

O - On one hand I truly enjoy the experimental and unique nature of the Lips of Faith series of beers but, on the other, I simply can't get on board with a beer that completely decimates its base style with obscene amounts of spice (thou I'm mainly referring to the aroma which is nothing but curry). I was intrigued and excited by this beer as I always will be by Lips brews but in the end Coconut Curry Hefeweizen doesn't do a thing for me.

3.02/5  rDev -10.9%

11 ounce pour - $5.00 at Taco Mac in Crabapple, Georgia.

Appearance: Dark, dull orange-gold body, a bit hazy, with a slim, white head cap.

Smell: A beer that definitely delivers on its branded namesake promise, coconut and curry. Sweetish, plump malted wheat, additional notes of banana.

Taste: Sugary upfront angle (giving a hint of cream soda from time to time), then, coconut, fenugreek -- oh, heck, all the varied curry notes, and finally the 'nana from the full-on wheat inclusion. Additional slight warming quality from the alcohol content pairs with the heat from the curry blend. Slow finish with sustained sweetness and more of the coconut and curry.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Sure, it's a different, interesting combination, but, I would have preferred a slimmed down version in something less viscous and more effervescent. As it stands, it's heavy and heavy-handed in its aspects and not the easiest beer to get down.

3.13/5  rDev -7.7%

Cloudy orange colored beer with a tall white colored head.

Smells strongly of coconut and spice. But that doesn't quite do it justice. The spice makes my eyes water a sure indication there is ginger in this. Banana and cloves with citrus there is a lot in here but it also sort of clashes. Smells like a beer born of a drunk midnight brainstorming session. Except this one got made.

Starts out mildly sour.with a coconut milk flavor and the faint taste of curry. This has a little heat to it. The curry part of this doesn't really come together it is just heavily spiced. Tastes like I'm drinking a weak Thai curry.

Mouthfeel is on the light side for the beer style.

Overall its a weird beer, that is why I bought it. Can't say it is bad, just that once you have tried a bottle you won't want to try it again.

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive to try this beer. To be honest it sounds like a terrible concoction in theory. Pours a rather boring looking hazy bronze with some thin head. Aroma is mostly banana, clove and wheat and the curry spices are there if you look for them. Not a particularly great smelling beer. Taste is sweet fruit and curry spices with just a little spiciness.Aftertaste is actually my favorite part of this; totally reminiscent of the aftertaste of thai / indian food. Mouthfeel is surpisingly good, moderate carbonation and the coconut gives it a silky feel. Overall, a creative idea, and I applaud New Belgium for that. It is certainly not a bad beer, and is very drinkable especially if you do enjoy curry, but it is not something I foresee myself ever purchasing again.

3.19/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

22 oz bottle poured in to a guiness glass.

Pours a hazy, fizzy yellow with a quickly thinning head.

Smell is curry, coconut, fruity, and grassy.

Taste is curry and spice. Very unique, but not necessarily that good.

Pretty thin mouthfeel.

Overall this is not great.

Spicy heat kicks about 1/3 way through finishing the beer. Adds more interesting things going on.

3.21/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Nice orange peachy color, and a lot of carbonation were good, but the weird bits of floating yeast (or was it coconut, I couldn't tell), and the lack of a big head typical of a Hefeweizen was not so good looking. The smell was decent with floral, herbal, spicy notes coming through, but lacked the banana and clove profile of classic beers of the style. The taste was very different than the style, as the coconut flavor was very prominent here, and that masked the delicate Hefeweizen flavors almost completely. The turmeric from the curry was less prominent, but still more prominent than the actual flavor of the beer. The body was light and delicate. I just wish the additives didn't dominate this experiment so much, as it sounded good on the silk screened label.

3.37/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had on tap at Max's during BBW 2013 (from notes, 10/27/13).

A: Cloudy copper. No head or lacing.

S: Spicy curry.

T: Spicy. Peppery. A bit of coconut in the curry but more of a roasty/smokey taste with a spicy aftertaste.

M: Prickly like you can feel the spice/pepper.

O: Eh, odd.

3.37/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance: Hazy yellow-gold with a loose fluffy white head. Minimal retention. with some sticky lacing. Moderate carbonation on the pour.

Smell: Curry, clove, coconut flesh, ginger, and something floral. Slight spicy esters. Some nice clean pale malts with a slight smack of wheat. Sweet and grassy. Slight toasted bready element as well. Loaded with curry, but it's not aggressive. Also, mega ginger.

Taste: Yup, curry and ginger. A bit sweet and milky as well. Slight snap of wheat on the finish with some light bready malts to round it out. A touch of grass, clove, yeast, and something almost like graham cracker. Coconut flesh is buried and adds just a hint of flavor. Coconut gets a little more assertive as it warms, but never comes close to pushing down the ginger or curry. Softly spicy. A touch of pepper. A bit sweet overall, but it's tempered by the curry spice.

Mouthfeel: Medium bordering on light with a clean moderate carbonation. A touch dry. Almost clean.

Overall: It's exactly what it says it is.

Curry but not so much it hurts. Balanced and unusual, but worth trying.

3.38/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bright, golden, orange color with floating yeast flakes. Billowing egg shell white head with excellent retention and nice lacing.

Yeasty aroma. Hints of wheat. Bold spices, definitely curry in there. Subtle citrus fruit.

Mild wheat flavor. Smooth coconut. Spicy curry. Citrus and yeast flavor seems to clash with the spices. Strange tangy aftertaste.

Medium bodied. Descent carbonation. Yeasty, grainy texture.

Not too impressed. Nice complexity, however, the coconut and curry just seem out of place. It's definitely different and creative but not for the better in my opinion.

3.41/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Nice to see New Belgium continue to be adventurous with their Lips of Faith series. Curiosity forced my hand on this one, and I came into it with lower expectations. I think the flavors actually worked well together and complemented the hefeweizen style. Coconut came out the strongest to me, both in aroma and taste, but I got some galangal notes in there as well. Sweet but not cloying. Didn't have the foresight to pair it with Indian cuisine, but I imagine it would have worked quite well.

3.42/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Tried this at a tasting with some friends, certainly not something I would have ever picked out myself.

Expectations were low. Surprisingly, I think New Belgium did rather well in terms of making a coconut curry hefe. Solid curry taste, and rather drinkable.

Now, with all of the above said, I still don't know why any brewery would want to make a coconut curry hefeweizen. There is no way in hell I would ever consider ordering a full pour of this. Big pass.

3.43/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Intense amount of carbonation bubbling within with a light head. Very cloudy with small bits of white floating chunks within. Safe to say this yellow golden brew is not filtered. Aroma of faint pale wheat but mainly of coconut. The mouthfeel is pretty intense between carbonation,spices,and floating residue for a Hefe. The flavor is unique as promised. I get a burst of coconut and a bit of heat from the curry. Then I get the sweetness from the coconut with a very gentle bit of heat. Aftertaste is coconut and pale wheat. Unique brew,but not something I would seek out.

3.44/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

22oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Look: Hazed, turbid, deep straw hue, excellent head

Smell: Fresh curry, mellow coconut, bready wheat, yeast, ripe pears, white chocolate

Taste: Lush smoothness, assertive curry, crisp wheat, underlying coconut, muted hops, yeast, mild heat, vegtal, herbal, semi-dry finish, mildly spicy end

I love curry and I love coconut but the curry just seems out of place, it has nothing to really bounce off of and curry needs that. Love the effort but this one just does not do it for me.

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen from New Belgium Brewing