2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry HefeweizenLips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-09-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 313 | Reviews: 68 | Show All Ratings:
StoutHunter

3.55/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Coconut Curry Hefeweizen from their Lips Of Faith series last month for $8.69 at The Lager Mill. This beer caught my eye when I was at the beer store, it's sounds pretty odd, but I've had coconut curry shrimp a couple times and like it, but I don't know how it will work in a beer let alone a Hefeweizen, so lets see how it goes. Packaged in June 2013. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice and I like the design in the background, it may not be the most eye catching, but the name sure is. It poured a nice golden yellow color that took on more of a brighter and hazy golden color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring and left some spotty lacing behind. There were also a good amount of floaties that may be from the yeast. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but the floaties hurt it a little.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation followed by some nice fruity aromas up front with some banana and coconut aromas coming through nicely. Up next comes some nice curry aromas with allspice and cinnamon sticking out the most and towards the end comes a nice wheaty aroma. I thought the aroma was good and it was just as advertised.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some banana and wheat flavors showing up first and it's followed by a quick splash of coconut. Up next there's a good amount of complex curry flavors with cinnamon sticking out the most for me and there's a medium amount of bitterness with a light fruity and curry like aftertaste. This was a good and unique beer that was just as advertised.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, with a super weird tingly sensation that I've never gotten in a beer before and it must be from the curry. On the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and pretty unique with that tingly feeling in my mouth.

Overall I thought this was a good beer, it's hard to classify this beer, it's still got some Hefeweizen aspects but the added coconut and curry make this a different kind of beer all together but as far as experimental beers go I would say this is a good example. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smoother then I expected, but a whole bottle would border on being too much for me, but the flavor did do a good job at holding my attention but I could see how it could start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was how interesting and unique it was, I can't say I've had a beer that tastes similar to this. What I liked the least was pretty much nothing for the most part, but I wish the coconut came through a little more in the flavor and aroma. I don't know if I'll buy another bottle from this release but if they release it again there's a good chance I will try it and I would recommend it to anyone that thinks the name of this beer sounds interesting, I don't think I would recommend it to someone who doesn't like curry. All in all I enjoyed this beer, I don't think I have ever had a beer that was this odd but somehow worked out well that wasn't made by Shorts. Good job guys, this must have been a risky beer to make, but I like a brewery that takes risks and I really like how unique most of these Lips Of Faith beers have been, keep up the good and creative work guys.

10-09-2013 22:42:10 | More by StoutHunter
fourstringer

Maryland

3.69/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into 2 flared pilsner glasses with a moderate hand. Bottle reads "Packaged June 2013". Not sure what to expect, but expectations are not particularly high. Sweet label.

A: Cloudy golden yellow with 2 fingers of white head. Fades quickly to a film in less than 2 minutes and is completely gone by halfway through the glass. Small to moderate lacing. Looks very good for the first half but kind of falls flat in the end.

S: Very sweet. Heavy coconut - not a shocker. Actually pretty nice hefe scents - banana, bubble gum, fruit. Definitely on the more tropical side of things hefeweizen. Not too much clove-type spice. A little vanilla. Surprisingly subtle curry scent. It's there, but I'm not sure I would have picked up on it if it wasn't printed on the label.

T: Sweet though and through with a touch of light bitterness. Coconut. Fruit. Banana. While I don't detect much curry in the nose, it is more present in the taste. It builds over the course of the beer. A bit of curry-type heat on the finish, which actually could stand to be amped up a bit. No real alcohol presence despite 8% ABV.

M: Moderate to low carbonation for the style. A bit less effervescent than your typical hefeweizen, but definitely feels appropriate.

O: Pleasantly surprised. I am usually pretty disappointed with American "hefes", but this drank quite well with regards to the hefeweizen character. It lacks the depth of the top tier, but it's no slouch. I could have used a bit more heat from the spice-augmented burn. Certainly it is on the sweet side and the coconut proved cloying by the final sips. Glad I split the bomber, but definitely enjoyed the single glass.

Overall I find the LOF offerings to be a bit of a crap shoot, but I'm happy to say that this was a pretty nice experiment. I feel a little bit like a broken record, but "interesting beer".

Prost!

10-07-2013 03:26:11 | More by fourstringer
scratch69

Missouri

3.46/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Hazy golden color with a fingers worth of head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Wheat malt aroma with a hint of curry.

Taste- Standard hefeweizen flavors mixed with coconut. Mild curry spiciness appears about mid-sip and lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and smooth with an average amount of carbonation.

Overall- Different and interesting. I wish the coconut flavor would have been just a tad stronger but still not bad.

10-05-2013 04:13:47 | More by scratch69
n2185

3.66/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a hazy yellow-orange with two fingers of white head that vanishes almost completely with no lacing.

S: Vanilla, coconut, some tart fruit, ginger, and curry dominate here.

T: Similar to the aroma, there are strong flavors of curry spices, ginger, coconut, and vanilla. There are also some sweet bread flavors before a clean finish that leaves just a little spicy burn.

M: Light body with lowish carbonation, this beer avoids being watery but could use some more carbonation or body.

O: A very unique beer overall, though I quite enjoy it. It tastes like coconut curry with ginger, which is an odd thing for a beer, but as a coconut curry lover, it's quite nice.

10-05-2013 02:37:24 | More by n2185
Aleks_P

3.84/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Hazy/cloudy light gold with a very thin white head that dissipates quickly. Consistent with expectations for the style.

Smell: As advertised. Coconut is very evident and the aroma is almost floral.

Taste: Lot going on here. First taste is a powerful spicy floral flavor, and the coconut flavor gives it some creamy smoothness. Didn't really pick up the curry until the aftertaste, but curry is definitely what I notice about thirty seconds after taking a sip. Flavor evolves throughout the drink.

Mouthfeel: Light, fizzy, bubbly. The spiciness gives it some kick at first but then smooths as the coconut takes over.

Overall: Very, very interesting. At first there was so much flavor it was almost abrasive, but they've pulled together a lot of interesting ideas and is definitely a unique experience. I rated this a "4" overall because as far as coconut curry hefeweizens go I'm sure this is good for the style (I wouldn't know because I've never seen something like this before). I was looking for a unique experience and certainly got one.

10-05-2013 00:25:46 | More by Aleks_P
BMMillsy

2.68/5  rDev -20%

Bottle from Tipples. Some scummy yeast floating on top when I popped the cap. Yuck. Pours a cloudy yellow with a big fluffy head with not much retention as it dissipates immediately. Funky yeast aroma with, yes, curry mixed in along with the standard clove and banana. Flavor is heavy curry spice, banana, yeast, clove, and a dirty finish. High prickly carbonation and light to medium bodied--a bit on the syrupy side for a hefe. Lingering taste of Indian food on the palate. Perhaps I should have waited for when I had Indian food to improve this. Overall I am not sure I want to drink this whole bottle but I guess I’ll try my best. Not completely terrible but very meh.

10-04-2013 23:47:20 | More by BMMillsy
Samuel906

3.23/5  rDev -3.6%

I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive to try this beer. To be honest it sounds like a terrible concoction in theory. Pours a rather boring looking hazy bronze with some thin head. Aroma is mostly banana, clove and wheat and the curry spices are there if you look for them. Not a particularly great smelling beer. Taste is sweet fruit and curry spices with just a little spiciness.Aftertaste is actually my favorite part of this; totally reminiscent of the aftertaste of thai / indian food. Mouthfeel is surpisingly good, moderate carbonation and the coconut gives it a silky feel. Overall, a creative idea, and I applaud New Belgium for that. It is certainly not a bad beer, and is very drinkable especially if you do enjoy curry, but it is not something I foresee myself ever purchasing again.

10-02-2013 01:47:05 | More by Samuel906
Zorro

3.14/5  rDev -6.3%

Cloudy orange colored beer with a tall white colored head.

Smells strongly of coconut and spice. But that doesn't quite do it justice. The spice makes my eyes water a sure indication there is ginger in this. Banana and cloves with citrus there is a lot in here but it also sort of clashes. Smells like a beer born of a drunk midnight brainstorming session. Except this one got made.

Starts out mildly sour.with a coconut milk flavor and the faint taste of curry. This has a little heat to it. The curry part of this doesn't really come together it is just heavily spiced. Tastes like I'm drinking a weak Thai curry.

Mouthfeel is on the light side for the beer style.

Overall its a weird beer, that is why I bought it. Can't say it is bad, just that once you have tried a bottle you won't want to try it again.

09-29-2013 23:02:05 | More by Zorro
aubuc1

3.15/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

22 oz bottle poured in to a guiness glass.

Pours a hazy, fizzy yellow with a quickly thinning head.

Smell is curry, coconut, fruity, and grassy.

Taste is curry and spice. Very unique, but not necessarily that good.

Pretty thin mouthfeel.

Overall this is not great.

Spicy heat kicks about 1/3 way through finishing the beer. Adds more interesting things going on.

09-28-2013 01:34:39 | More by aubuc1
StonedTrippin

3.94/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

not easy to pull something like this off without being offensive in some way, but this does it expertly. not as good as the version from ballast point, whatever that thing was, but still a great use of curry in beer. gorgeous pour, cloudy dull peach color, with a thick and creamy off white head with excellent retention. the nose is yellow curry powder and a hint of ginger, hefe yeast, and maybe a touch of sweetness from coconut, but that element is really in the background. the flavor is surprisingly not overdosed on curry, its there, but so is an earthy coconut milk sweetness, a full bodied wheat malt, a hint of booze, and an herbal freshness that really sets it off. still get banana and clove from the yeast too, which is a fine compliment to the spicy curry. as balanced as a beer like this can get, this is the first of the lips of faith beers to impress me in awhile. full bodied for they style, extraordinary flavorfully long finish, and carbonated enough to keep it drinkable. great effort here, a must try for the adventurous.

09-27-2013 19:27:32 | More by StonedTrippin
MattyG85

4.21/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a New Belgium Globe glass. Bottled in June 2013.

Appearance: Pours a very cloudy pale yellowish golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About two fingers of white head that quickly fade into a thin patchy layer. A few pieces of white floating sediment. Decent lacing.

Smell: A spicy, yeasty, and fruity wheat aroma with a fairly big scent of hot spices. Big mix of spices upfront with hints of cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, coriander, allspice, and some other spices unfamiliar to me. The spices do give an Indian food style of scent. Bready wheat and pale malt presence with hints of grains, straw, Hefeweizen yeast, and cracker. Hints of coconut, banana, and citrus fruit with some orange, pineapple, and lemon zest. Hops are pretty subtle. A very odd but good wheat beer aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a very spice forward taste with a solid mix of wheat Hefeweizen notes. Big mix of hot spices upfront with notes of cinnamon, ginger, red cayenne pepper, allspice, coriander, and some other spices. The spices give an Indian curry like taste that is spicy but not overwhelmingly hot. Bready wheat presence with notes of Hefeweizen yeast, straw, grains, and cracker. Taste of coconut and banana along with citrus notes of pineapple, orange, and lemon zest. Very laid back hop presence. A very interesting and good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very spicy but surprisingly smooth. Some heat is felt but its more from the spice than alcohol.

Overall: A very unique and good twist on a Hefeweizen style beer. Big but not overwhelming kick of spices that blend well with the wheat beer notes.

09-27-2013 07:16:41 | More by MattyG85
Jason

3.4/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

22oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Look: Hazed, turbid, deep straw hue, excellent head

Smell: Fresh curry, mellow coconut, bready wheat, yeast, ripe pears, white chocolate

Taste: Lush smoothness, assertive curry, crisp wheat, underlying coconut, muted hops, yeast, mild heat, vegtal, herbal, semi-dry finish, mildly spicy end

I love curry and I love coconut but the curry just seems out of place, it has nothing to really bounce off of and curry needs that. Love the effort but this one just does not do it for me.

09-27-2013 05:02:30 | More by Jason
TheBeerAlmanac

Kentucky

4.15/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

There has been a lot of hate floating around about this beer, I feel obligated to share my experience.

Pours a cloudy dingy yellow, a good amount of frothy white foam, and like others, mounds of floaties. I've since read this could be coconut oil congealing, which I'm not afraid of. It does look gross, though.

Sweet spice on the nose is reminiscent of pumpkin ales while coconut lends just enough tropical sweetness to pique interest. Hints of red pepper linger on the back of the nose.

It's surprisingly milky smooth on the palate while zesty bubbles provide a welcome dichotomy. A touch of coconut sweetness mellows everything out, peppery spiciness picks up with subsequent sipping. All hefe on the finish.

A lot of people have had a bad experience with this beer, maybe from the coconut oil oxidizing (which it apparently is more susceptible to) but mine was great. If you're able to somehow find a good bottle, I highly recommend it.

09-25-2013 22:28:11 | More by TheBeerAlmanac
MighHighBrewer

3.64/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a tall hefe glass on 9/24/13. My bottle was bottled in June 2013. I dont like for my wheat beers to sit this long, but ce la vie.

A: Pours a golden straw color. A healthy 1/2-inch head lingers about 2 minutes after the pour. The beer is very hazy - visible sediment floats around in the glass. Not uncommon for a wheat beer. Lacing is moderate.

S: Coconut dominates the nose - smells almost like a Pina Colada. The curry spices take more of a background in the nose. Pineapple, lemon, and green apple round out the nose. No grassy or hoppy notes are detectable whatsoever.

T & M: Lemon and coconut fruitness hit you hard in the beginning. But then the curry spices really come on strong mid-sip. Wow - a mid-tongue paprika-like spiciness and lingers on the tongue. A bit too coconut sweet for my taste. Mouthfeel is lacking for a wheat beer - it's much drier and doesn't linger on the tongue as well as a wheat beer should.

O: I actually liked this beer. It screams "porch drinker." It's very tropical - light and refreshing. A bit too sweet for my taste, but I think that's part of the appeal of this beer. It won't win any GABF awards but I think NB accomplished what they set out to do.

09-25-2013 01:41:24 | More by MighHighBrewer
ElCommodoro

2.58/5  rDev -23%

The best thing I can say about this beer is that it gets better as you drink it. What seems like a kick in the palate at first mellows out as you drink, provided that you drink VERY, very slowly. Still, it seems throughout the experience that there are spices in there that don't need to be there. I'm talking about cloves. Also, possibly nutmeg and cinnamon? I'm not entirely sure what ridiculous blend of spices is supposed to be "curry" but it is not what I wanted. It tasted like it could be really pleasant if it weren't for all these damn cloves and some other stuff making it taste like somebody dropped a big pile of Christmas into what WAS a "coconut curry" flavoured beer. It just doesn't seem to belong. When I saw coconut-curry, I was thinking "fuck yeah, a beer that sort of tastes like peshwari naan? That would be awesome." But it wasn't anything like that. Cloves? The hell? Don't pour your Christmas spices all over my coconut curry! Too much going on here for me to keep track of. And it's a huge problem.

09-23-2013 06:28:59 | More by ElCommodoro
VincentFrey

Maryland

4.1/5  rDev +22.4%

Pours traditional hefeweizen: a hazy orange with a thick but quickly dissipating head. Tons of free floating yeast, oddly, since I was under the impression New Belgium pasteurized. Not a bad thing, but worth noting.

Absolutely lovely aroma. Just beautiful. Hefe front but tons of cococnut and curry powder on the back end. It ain’t traditional curry but still. I’ve had a lot of weird beers and this actually smells enticing.

Hefe yeast comes through strong in the taste. Amazingly strong, actually, but very much tempered by the spicing. This tastes almost like a mulled beer, and as it warms it gets better. The curry taste is absolutely fantastic, with hints of cinnamon and a blast of coconut on the back end. This is way more than I expected.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Somewhat dry at first, but the spicing lays around the gums and tongue and makes you want another sip. Way too easy to drink for 8% but not in a bad way.

Overall a pretty amazing beer that way, way surpassed expectations. The only reason I’d hesitate to buy again is the price point, but otherwise, amazed me.

09-22-2013 21:43:17 | More by VincentFrey
Bear1964

Nebraska

4.08/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Pint glass, head came and went with minimal lace. Aroma held sweetness and spice and maybe a hint of citrus, the taste is where this beer shines! With the first sip coconut hits the roof of the mouth and curry follows on the tongue with a nice Hefeweizen holding it all together, solid and not overpowering but instead has you looking for the next sip of such a interesting flavor combo for beer. Overall if you drink with a open mind and enjoy trying everything you should be very pleased, I know I was!

09-22-2013 21:11:58 | More by Bear1964
teromous

2.7/5  rDev -19.4%

A: Extremely hazy golden colored body, very characteristic of a Hefeweizen. Uncharacteristicly small head and poor head retention. There's a lot of little white floaters in here. I'm unsure if it's yeast or coconut bits but they're all over the place.

S: Not much on the nose. There's a hint of spice, it's an earthy curry scent. I can't really put my finger on it, it's like a honeydew scent mixed with parsley or something.

T: I pick up what might be coconut, it's a toasty flavor so I'm guessing that's the coconut. It's not like eating a coconut doughnut or anything, but there's the back-toasted flavor. I get the curry in there, but it's not a strong hot curry, it's a mellow earthy flavor. It's not bad but there isn't much of the beer coming through. For a Hefe, I'd love to get some of that wheat flavor in there. It's far too clean tasting and mostly the curry comes out.

M: The mouthfeel isn't really thick enough and it's way under-carbonated. I'm barely even seeing any bubbles in here.

O: Overall this wasn't a win in my eyes. I didn't get much coconut, the curry tasted good but there wasn't any real beer to back it up. It was way under-carbonated which killed the enjoyment for me. I love those big bubbly Hefe's with a strong white head. I wouldn't really recommend it.

09-21-2013 22:46:17 | More by teromous
MetricOcean

3.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Nice to see New Belgium continue to be adventurous with their Lips of Faith series. Curiosity forced my hand on this one, and I came into it with lower expectations. I think the flavors actually worked well together and complemented the hefeweizen style. Coconut came out the strongest to me, both in aroma and taste, but I got some galangal notes in there as well. Sweet but not cloying. Didn't have the foresight to pair it with Indian cuisine, but I imagine it would have worked quite well.

09-21-2013 18:11:58 | More by MetricOcean
hardy008

1.78/5  rDev -46.9%

Hazy dark gold with an off white head which fades quickly leaving little lacing. The aroma has coconut, curry, and some wheat. Even though the aroma delivers what the bottle advertises, I'm not sure this is a good combination.

The taste has coconut, curry, and there is a light amount of wheat. The taste is what is promised on the bottle, but it does not seem to work very well. Maybe the problem is adding coconut and curry to a hefeweizen? Another style of beer might have been a better choice. Too bad this doesn't work, because I like coconut and curry, but they aren't working here.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. Not to my liking unfortunately, I won't be buying this again.

09-21-2013 02:44:35 | More by hardy008
BWarrington

4.36/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a- nice foggy unfiltered hefe

S- Look I know it doesn't smell like grapefruit or chocolate...It is not supposed to. One of the most interesting noses

T- Its almost parallel to what it says, bananas, coconut, and some spice

M- a little thick but coconut and 8% what would you expect

O- I heard about bad bottles, this was not one. I think a lot of the bad ratings are due to hop heads and beer geek purists. I thought this beer was balanced and fun. Probably wont age well with the coconut, however on this date it was surprise and a great treat.

09-20-2013 23:58:25 | More by BWarrington
ryanonline

4.35/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful fiery orange body, with a bubbly off white head that disappears quicker than a paycheck at a strip club, leaving not a trace.

Smells very sweet, almost candy like, with a very distinct orange scent and faint notes of spices like coriander and cinnamon with just a hint of curry on the end of the nose.

The taste is very much similar,but, there is a bit more of a standard hefeweizen flavors; banana backbone with orange up front and a bit more forward on the coriander. The finish is a tiny bit hot, no doubt due to the curry. Overall a truly unique and quite impressive interpretation of a hefeweizen.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation is quite prickly while the finish is a bit dry, with a bit of heat following.

Surprisingly drinkable.

Quite a nice beer, very interesting and a bit different. I like it.

09-18-2013 02:50:32 | More by ryanonline
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

This beer caught my eye on the shelf, as I'm a fan of coconut curries and of coconut deftly used in a beer. They've certainly been pumping out the Lips of Faith beers, and many are a little blah, but I thought the flavors here might shine through. That they do, and fairly pleasantly as well. Fairly aggressive yellow curry flavors dominate, but without developing any acridness. The coconut is more subdued, and I'd like to see a bit more of it. The hefe base is already fairly well taken over by the other assertive elements, and some more coconut could help beef up the body and add some silkiness. Right now it comes off as a curry that's a little thin. Still, all around a pretty decent effort and the flavors are fairly spot on even if the body isn't.

09-17-2013 15:34:27 | More by Georgiabeer
chugalug06

4.1/5  rDev +22.4%

Cloudy orange color with large dense white foamy head. No lacing to speak of, but nice complexity.

Tons of coconut, milky, wheaty, celery, curry, spice.

Drinks very well. Not think or syrupy, but has nice body and complexity. Carbonation is a perfect medium. Coconut is not sugary; helps dim the could be overwhelming spice. Wheat-y-ness is nearly buried, but provides nice smooth balance.

One of the better LoF in recent productions. I would recommend this brew as a good spice brew; a sipper to be shared. I won't seek again. but it should be tried and not snubbed. Unique.

09-17-2013 00:57:03 | More by chugalug06
dbrauneis

3.7/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a relatively cloudy golden burnt orange in color with some moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming along the edges of the glass and some faint rose + apricot highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy foamy light beige head that reduces to a couple of small patches of thick film, a mottled thin film covering the majority of the remainder of the surface of the beer, and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of banana and clove which is quickly overshadowed by strong aromas of curry + coconut.

T: Upfront there are light flavors of wheat and pale malts with light to moderate flavors of banana. That is quickly followed and overshadowed by moderate to strong flavors of coconut curry (with the curry being slightly stronger than the coconut). There is a moderate amount of spiciness to this beer and light notes of clove in the finish.

M: Medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Light amounts of dryness and hints of spicy warming.

O: Definitely interesting and more drinkable than some of the other curry beers that I have tried previously - not nearly as spicy or intense. The beer hides the alcohol fairly well but this is not really an easy drinking or sessionable beer. I'm glad that I decided to try the beer as it is quite interesting but it is tough to finish the entire bomber.

09-15-2013 20:27:04 | More by dbrauneis