Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry HefeweizenLips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-09-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen Alström Bros
3.21/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Nice orange peachy color, and a lot of carbonation were good, but the weird bits of floating yeast (or was it coconut, I couldn't tell), and the lack of a big head typical of a Hefeweizen was not so good looking. The smell was decent with floral, herbal, spicy notes coming through, but lacked the banana and clove profile of classic beers of the style. The taste was very different than the style, as the coconut flavor was very prominent here, and that masked the delicate Hefeweizen flavors almost completely. The turmeric from the curry was less prominent, but still more prominent than the actual flavor of the beer. The body was light and delicate. I just wish the additives didn't dominate this experiment so much, as it sounded good on the silk screened label.

2.95/5  rDev -16.9%

Well, what an interesting mix. Figured I’d try a few ounce pour of this to see what the story was. Smells of cinnamon and coconut, and looks of a vibrant yellow. Taste is a battle between coconut, hops, and cinnamon, with cinnamon usually winning out. The curry spice doesn’t take hold until the finish, and which point it provides some hints of yellow curry. Not something I could drink a pint of, but certainly something interesting and different, and surprisingly much better than expected.

3.37/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had on tap at Max's during BBW 2013 (from notes, 10/27/13).

A: Cloudy copper. No head or lacing.

S: Spicy curry.

T: Spicy. Peppery. A bit of coconut in the curry but more of a roasty/smokey taste with a spicy aftertaste.

M: Prickly like you can feel the spice/pepper.

O: Eh, odd.

3.67/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a cloudy caramel amber with tiny particulates and white coconut particles on the surface. Initially a thin white head, but it disappears immediately leaving only sparse bubbles, probably due to the particles at the surface. Intriguing aroma of mild malt, coconut and curry spices. Flavor follows, dominated by coconut and curry spices, especially allspice, cinnamon and clove; light neutral malt and light fruit; very little wheat character. Finish is somewhat abrupt, leaving lingering light hop and exotic spices. Medium bodied. A quite interesting spiced ale, but curry is perhaps not a great choice for an entire glass of beer. Considering that these are rather intense ingredients, this was well balanced although the weizen character was overwhelmed by the spicing. Worth it for the unique experience, but this will probably not be anyone's session ale. The appearance is really mediocre, so fortunately the aroma and flavor is fun and interesting. Odd, as I write this there is an interesting aftertaste of celery seed. Lots going on here.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The look is a little off. Yes, it's kind of cloudy, milky yellow, but there's something about it not quite German, a little artificial. The head is also below par for a Hefe. Not even a finger thick, little retention, and not much lace.

I can pick up both the curry and the coconut, but always at different times. I've yet to pick them both up in the same whiff. I'm not getting the tangy wheat either. I like both coconut and curry, but they seem to be fighting each other.

The taste isn't bad, but I'm not sure you can call this a hefe. The curry isn't exactly overpowering, but it stands out in the crowd of wheat and coconut. Really, it tastes more like a simple fruit/spiced ale, but I can't get past the fact they call it a Hefe. Regardless, the taste is fairly good. As it warms, the coconut presents a bit better, moreso as a taste that lingers following the spicy curry.

There's no tang, kind of what I look for in a Hefe. There's little to no hop presence. However, there is a sharpness of an ale as well as some heat from the curry. Was hoping for some sweetness from the coconut, but I think the curry masks both the coconut and the alcohol. Again, the spicy is never too much. It just pushed the envelope a little.

Overall it's a decent beer, it's just not a Hefe. However, in the background is a pretty good ale. I'd like to have a bottle without the coconut or the curry and see what it tastes like. Actually, it's fairly good and I like the ABV where it is. 8% is perfect for me. This goes down pretty easily with no offensive flavors.

1.81/5  rDev -49%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - The beer had the yellow of a hefe, but the floaties at the top made it appearance that somebody had desolved Alka Seltzer in my beer.

Smell - I detect the spice of the curry immediately, and it reminds me of Thai food. On the other had, there is something plastic-y in the aroma the reminds me of those wax figures at the museum.

Taste - This tastes like spicy wax gum or perhaps spicy plastic. There are a hint of lime and the some of the notes of a hefe hidden here. After I about three sips, something tells me I should not be drinking this beer. Most of us call that feeling heartburn. There is a mediciny spice in the aftertaste, but it just reinforces the fact that this is not good.

Mouthfeel - This actually seems on par with the style, though the weird foam at the top is a bit unsightly.

Overall - I hate saying this is one of the worst beers I have ever had, but it is definitely not good. This was a dumper.

4.39/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Hazy, pale amber color. Quickly dissipating, creamy head that really didn't build like most hefeweizens. Great lacing, though.

Smell: Very sweet up front. I can't say it smells exactly like coconut, but there is definitely something different going on. It reminds me of young plums, maybe white raisins... Banana, strong cinnamon, notes of clove, gingerbread, and coriander follow.

Taste is a lot like the smell. The first wave is typical hefe banana, but the fruity flavor and christmassy spices show up quickly thereafter. Midway, the coconut finally stands out on its own, but only for a moment, before the curry emerges and the heat begins to build against the sweetness. The spicy finish leaves a yeasty, coconut-toned, burning sensation behind. Really nice beginning to end.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium-light body with prickly carbonation. Love the lingering heat from the curry!

Overall: Man, this was a fun one! All kinds of things going on! So many of the aromas and flavors I love most in food were represented in this beer. The way the flavors entered, faded, and played together seemed almost choreographed. I'm really glad I had the opportunity to try this. If given the chance, I would definitely have again.

3.52/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed out of a brown 22 oz bottle with the LoF silkscreen labeling; no freshness or bottling date to be found. Poured into a classic weizen glass.

Appearance - Fairly aggressive pour, to tease out the classic hefeweizen sediment since I won't be able to fit the entire bomber into a glass. Body is a ruddy opaque peach flesh with golden highlights and faint traces of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. Head is luxurious and a massive three fingers of pillowy white foam. Slowly begins to pock across the surface of the head and dissipates after a several minutes, leaving rings of sticky mottled lace. As I drink it, the residue forms rings to mark the passage of each sip. Exactly to style for a hefeweizen, even though this is listed as a spiced beer.

Smell - Almost overwhelmingly fragrant, with dominant notes of coconut and cardamom, as well as fainter hints of white pepper and sage. There is a hint of generic citrus-like freshness in the background, but the sweeter notes dominate the nose. It's interesting and certainly the most coconut-smelling beer with coconut I've ever had. However, it is a bit perfume-like.

Taste - Happily, the wheat base takes a larger role here at first, providing the round, grainy base for the beer, but the coconut and spice quickly takes over adding a cloying sweetness to the taste that works for the first several drinks, but becomes overwhelming. There is also a yeasty slightly sour element to the finish as well as a lingering and faint peppery heat. It seems so close to being really good, but falls short. That being said, the smell and taste reflect the accuracy of the name of this beer.

Mouthfeel - Chewy, medium-bodied beer with a surprising thinness on the finish. Slightly sweet and hot finish and medium carbonation.

Overall, a one-time beer. It was a bold offering that delivered on it's promise--I don't think you could make a better tasting coconut curry Hefewiezen--but perhaps the promise just wasn't quite meant to be a beer. I'm still glad I tried it and would encourage anyone who likes to try ambitious and strange beers to do the same.

4.19/5  rDev +18%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a balloon glass.

The body is a murky tangerine color, very light orange. A frothy eggshell head recedes to a bubbly wisp. Light spotty lacing.

The aroma is basic, lots of coconut up front with spicy pepper in the back.

The taste is a little more complex, with a sweet fruit coating over the coconut body. It's followed up with a light peppery kick.

The mouthfeel is bright and clean.

Overall, I think this is a really tasty, interesting beer. I enjoyed it a lot.

3.51/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Coconut Curry Hefeweizen from their Lips Of Faith series last month for $8.69 at The Lager Mill. This beer caught my eye when I was at the beer store, it's sounds pretty odd, but I've had coconut curry shrimp a couple times and like it, but I don't know how it will work in a beer let alone a Hefeweizen, so lets see how it goes. Packaged in June 2013. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice and I like the design in the background, it may not be the most eye catching, but the name sure is. It poured a nice golden yellow color that took on more of a brighter and hazy golden color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring and left some spotty lacing behind. There were also a good amount of floaties that may be from the yeast. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but the floaties hurt it a little.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation followed by some nice fruity aromas up front with some banana and coconut aromas coming through nicely. Up next comes some nice curry aromas with allspice and cinnamon sticking out the most and towards the end comes a nice wheaty aroma. I thought the aroma was good and it was just as advertised.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some banana and wheat flavors showing up first and it's followed by a quick splash of coconut. Up next there's a good amount of complex curry flavors with cinnamon sticking out the most for me and there's a medium amount of bitterness with a light fruity and curry like aftertaste. This was a good and unique beer that was just as advertised.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, with a super weird tingly sensation that I've never gotten in a beer before and it must be from the curry. On the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and pretty unique with that tingly feeling in my mouth.

Overall I thought this was a good beer, it's hard to classify this beer, it's still got some Hefeweizen aspects but the added coconut and curry make this a different kind of beer all together but as far as experimental beers go I would say this is a good example. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smoother then I expected, but a whole bottle would border on being too much for me, but the flavor did do a good job at holding my attention but I could see how it could start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was how interesting and unique it was, I can't say I've had a beer that tastes similar to this. What I liked the least was pretty much nothing for the most part, but I wish the coconut came through a little more in the flavor and aroma. I don't know if I'll buy another bottle from this release but if they release it again there's a good chance I will try it and I would recommend it to anyone that thinks the name of this beer sounds interesting, I don't think I would recommend it to someone who doesn't like curry. All in all I enjoyed this beer, I don't think I have ever had a beer that was this odd but somehow worked out well that wasn't made by Shorts. Good job guys, this must have been a risky beer to make, but I like a brewery that takes risks and I really like how unique most of these Lips Of Faith beers have been, keep up the good and creative work guys.

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into 2 flared pilsner glasses with a moderate hand. Bottle reads "Packaged June 2013". Not sure what to expect, but expectations are not particularly high. Sweet label.

A: Cloudy golden yellow with 2 fingers of white head. Fades quickly to a film in less than 2 minutes and is completely gone by halfway through the glass. Small to moderate lacing. Looks very good for the first half but kind of falls flat in the end.

S: Very sweet. Heavy coconut - not a shocker. Actually pretty nice hefe scents - banana, bubble gum, fruit. Definitely on the more tropical side of things hefeweizen. Not too much clove-type spice. A little vanilla. Surprisingly subtle curry scent. It's there, but I'm not sure I would have picked up on it if it wasn't printed on the label.

T: Sweet though and through with a touch of light bitterness. Coconut. Fruit. Banana. While I don't detect much curry in the nose, it is more present in the taste. It builds over the course of the beer. A bit of curry-type heat on the finish, which actually could stand to be amped up a bit. No real alcohol presence despite 8% ABV.

M: Moderate to low carbonation for the style. A bit less effervescent than your typical hefeweizen, but definitely feels appropriate.

O: Pleasantly surprised. I am usually pretty disappointed with American "hefes", but this drank quite well with regards to the hefeweizen character. It lacks the depth of the top tier, but it's no slouch. I could have used a bit more heat from the spice-augmented burn. Certainly it is on the sweet side and the coconut proved cloying by the final sips. Glad I split the bomber, but definitely enjoyed the single glass.

Overall I find the LOF offerings to be a bit of a crap shoot, but I'm happy to say that this was a pretty nice experiment. I feel a little bit like a broken record, but "interesting beer".

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Hazy golden color with a fingers worth of head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Wheat malt aroma with a hint of curry.

Taste- Standard hefeweizen flavors mixed with coconut. Mild curry spiciness appears about mid-sip and lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and smooth with an average amount of carbonation.

Overall- Different and interesting. I wish the coconut flavor would have been just a tad stronger but still not bad.

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a hazy yellow-orange with two fingers of white head that vanishes almost completely with no lacing.

S: Vanilla, coconut, some tart fruit, ginger, and curry dominate here.

T: Similar to the aroma, there are strong flavors of curry spices, ginger, coconut, and vanilla. There are also some sweet bread flavors before a clean finish that leaves just a little spicy burn.

M: Light body with lowish carbonation, this beer avoids being watery but could use some more carbonation or body.

O: A very unique beer overall, though I quite enjoy it. It tastes like coconut curry with ginger, which is an odd thing for a beer, but as a coconut curry lover, it's quite nice.

3.88/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Hazy/cloudy light gold with a very thin white head that dissipates quickly. Consistent with expectations for the style.

Smell: As advertised. Coconut is very evident and the aroma is almost floral.

Taste: Lot going on here. First taste is a powerful spicy floral flavor, and the coconut flavor gives it some creamy smoothness. Didn't really pick up the curry until the aftertaste, but curry is definitely what I notice about thirty seconds after taking a sip. Flavor evolves throughout the drink.

Mouthfeel: Light, fizzy, bubbly. The spiciness gives it some kick at first but then smooths as the coconut takes over.

Overall: Very, very interesting. At first there was so much flavor it was almost abrasive, but they've pulled together a lot of interesting ideas and is definitely a unique experience. I rated this a "4" overall because as far as coconut curry hefeweizens go I'm sure this is good for the style (I wouldn't know because I've never seen something like this before). I was looking for a unique experience and certainly got one.

2.7/5  rDev -23.9%

Bottle from Tipples. Some scummy yeast floating on top when I popped the cap. Yuck. Pours a cloudy yellow with a big fluffy head with not much retention as it dissipates immediately. Funky yeast aroma with, yes, curry mixed in along with the standard clove and banana. Flavor is heavy curry spice, banana, yeast, clove, and a dirty finish. High prickly carbonation and light to medium bodied--a bit on the syrupy side for a hefe. Lingering taste of Indian food on the palate. Perhaps I should have waited for when I had Indian food to improve this. Overall I am not sure I want to drink this whole bottle but I guess I’ll try my best. Not completely terrible but very meh.

3.18/5  rDev -10.4%

I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive to try this beer. To be honest it sounds like a terrible concoction in theory. Pours a rather boring looking hazy bronze with some thin head. Aroma is mostly banana, clove and wheat and the curry spices are there if you look for them. Not a particularly great smelling beer. Taste is sweet fruit and curry spices with just a little spiciness.Aftertaste is actually my favorite part of this; totally reminiscent of the aftertaste of thai / indian food. Mouthfeel is surpisingly good, moderate carbonation and the coconut gives it a silky feel. Overall, a creative idea, and I applaud New Belgium for that. It is certainly not a bad beer, and is very drinkable especially if you do enjoy curry, but it is not something I foresee myself ever purchasing again.

3.13/5  rDev -11.8%

Cloudy orange colored beer with a tall white colored head.

Smells strongly of coconut and spice. But that doesn't quite do it justice. The spice makes my eyes water a sure indication there is ginger in this. Banana and cloves with citrus there is a lot in here but it also sort of clashes. Smells like a beer born of a drunk midnight brainstorming session. Except this one got made.

Starts out mildly sour.with a coconut milk flavor and the faint taste of curry. This has a little heat to it. The curry part of this doesn't really come together it is just heavily spiced. Tastes like I'm drinking a weak Thai curry.

Mouthfeel is on the light side for the beer style.

Overall its a weird beer, that is why I bought it. Can't say it is bad, just that once you have tried a bottle you won't want to try it again.

3.19/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

22 oz bottle poured in to a guiness glass.

Pours a hazy, fizzy yellow with a quickly thinning head.

Smell is curry, coconut, fruity, and grassy.

Taste is curry and spice. Very unique, but not necessarily that good.

Pretty thin mouthfeel.

Overall this is not great.

Spicy heat kicks about 1/3 way through finishing the beer. Adds more interesting things going on.

3.94/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

not easy to pull something like this off without being offensive in some way, but this does it expertly. not as good as the version from ballast point, whatever that thing was, but still a great use of curry in beer. gorgeous pour, cloudy dull peach color, with a thick and creamy off white head with excellent retention. the nose is yellow curry powder and a hint of ginger, hefe yeast, and maybe a touch of sweetness from coconut, but that element is really in the background. the flavor is surprisingly not overdosed on curry, its there, but so is an earthy coconut milk sweetness, a full bodied wheat malt, a hint of booze, and an herbal freshness that really sets it off. still get banana and clove from the yeast too, which is a fine compliment to the spicy curry. as balanced as a beer like this can get, this is the first of the lips of faith beers to impress me in awhile. full bodied for they style, extraordinary flavorfully long finish, and carbonated enough to keep it drinkable. great effort here, a must try for the adventurous.

4.21/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a New Belgium Globe glass. Bottled in June 2013.

Appearance: Pours a very cloudy pale yellowish golden orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. About two fingers of white head that quickly fade into a thin patchy layer. A few pieces of white floating sediment. Decent lacing.

Smell: A spicy, yeasty, and fruity wheat aroma with a fairly big scent of hot spices. Big mix of spices upfront with hints of cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, coriander, allspice, and some other spices unfamiliar to me. The spices do give an Indian food style of scent. Bready wheat and pale malt presence with hints of grains, straw, Hefeweizen yeast, and cracker. Hints of coconut, banana, and citrus fruit with some orange, pineapple, and lemon zest. Hops are pretty subtle. A very odd but good wheat beer aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a very spice forward taste with a solid mix of wheat Hefeweizen notes. Big mix of hot spices upfront with notes of cinnamon, ginger, red cayenne pepper, allspice, coriander, and some other spices. The spices give an Indian curry like taste that is spicy but not overwhelmingly hot. Bready wheat presence with notes of Hefeweizen yeast, straw, grains, and cracker. Taste of coconut and banana along with citrus notes of pineapple, orange, and lemon zest. Very laid back hop presence. A very interesting and good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very spicy but surprisingly smooth. Some heat is felt but its more from the spice than alcohol.

Overall: A very unique and good twist on a Hefeweizen style beer. Big but not overwhelming kick of spices that blend well with the wheat beer notes.

3.44/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

22oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

Look: Hazed, turbid, deep straw hue, excellent head

Smell: Fresh curry, mellow coconut, bready wheat, yeast, ripe pears, white chocolate

Taste: Lush smoothness, assertive curry, crisp wheat, underlying coconut, muted hops, yeast, mild heat, vegtal, herbal, semi-dry finish, mildly spicy end

I love curry and I love coconut but the curry just seems out of place, it has nothing to really bounce off of and curry needs that. Love the effort but this one just does not do it for me.

4.14/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

There has been a lot of hate floating around about this beer, I feel obligated to share my experience.

Pours a cloudy dingy yellow, a good amount of frothy white foam, and like others, mounds of floaties. I've since read this could be coconut oil congealing, which I'm not afraid of. It does look gross, though.

Sweet spice on the nose is reminiscent of pumpkin ales while coconut lends just enough tropical sweetness to pique interest. Hints of red pepper linger on the back of the nose.

It's surprisingly milky smooth on the palate while zesty bubbles provide a welcome dichotomy. A touch of coconut sweetness mellows everything out, peppery spiciness picks up with subsequent sipping. All hefe on the finish.

A lot of people have had a bad experience with this beer, maybe from the coconut oil oxidizing (which it apparently is more susceptible to) but mine was great. If you're able to somehow find a good bottle, I highly recommend it.

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a tall hefe glass on 9/24/13. My bottle was bottled in June 2013. I dont like for my wheat beers to sit this long, but ce la vie.

A: Pours a golden straw color. A healthy 1/2-inch head lingers about 2 minutes after the pour. The beer is very hazy - visible sediment floats around in the glass. Not uncommon for a wheat beer. Lacing is moderate.

S: Coconut dominates the nose - smells almost like a Pina Colada. The curry spices take more of a background in the nose. Pineapple, lemon, and green apple round out the nose. No grassy or hoppy notes are detectable whatsoever.

T & M: Lemon and coconut fruitness hit you hard in the beginning. But then the curry spices really come on strong mid-sip. Wow - a mid-tongue paprika-like spiciness and lingers on the tongue. A bit too coconut sweet for my taste. Mouthfeel is lacking for a wheat beer - it's much drier and doesn't linger on the tongue as well as a wheat beer should.

O: I actually liked this beer. It screams "porch drinker." It's very tropical - light and refreshing. A bit too sweet for my taste, but I think that's part of the appeal of this beer. It won't win any GABF awards but I think NB accomplished what they set out to do.

2.58/5  rDev -27.3%

The best thing I can say about this beer is that it gets better as you drink it. What seems like a kick in the palate at first mellows out as you drink, provided that you drink VERY, very slowly. Still, it seems throughout the experience that there are spices in there that don't need to be there. I'm talking about cloves. Also, possibly nutmeg and cinnamon? I'm not entirely sure what ridiculous blend of spices is supposed to be "curry" but it is not what I wanted. It tasted like it could be really pleasant if it weren't for all these damn cloves and some other stuff making it taste like somebody dropped a big pile of Christmas into what WAS a "coconut curry" flavoured beer. It just doesn't seem to belong. When I saw coconut-curry, I was thinking "fuck yeah, a beer that sort of tastes like peshwari naan? That would be awesome." But it wasn't anything like that. Cloves? The hell? Don't pour your Christmas spices all over my coconut curry! Too much going on here for me to keep track of. And it's a huge problem.

4.12/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours traditional hefeweizen: a hazy orange with a thick but quickly dissipating head. Tons of free floating yeast, oddly, since I was under the impression New Belgium pasteurized. Not a bad thing, but worth noting.

Absolutely lovely aroma. Just beautiful. Hefe front but tons of cococnut and curry powder on the back end. It ain’t traditional curry but still. I’ve had a lot of weird beers and this actually smells enticing.

Hefe yeast comes through strong in the taste. Amazingly strong, actually, but very much tempered by the spicing. This tastes almost like a mulled beer, and as it warms it gets better. The curry taste is absolutely fantastic, with hints of cinnamon and a blast of coconut on the back end. This is way more than I expected.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Somewhat dry at first, but the spicing lays around the gums and tongue and makes you want another sip. Way too easy to drink for 8% but not in a bad way.

Overall a pretty amazing beer that way, way surpassed expectations. The only reason I’d hesitate to buy again is the price point, but otherwise, amazed me.

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen from New Belgium Brewing