Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry HefeweizenLips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-09-2013

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen Alström Bros

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Extremely hazy golden colored body, very characteristic of a Hefeweizen. Uncharacteristicly small head and poor head retention. There's a lot of little white floaters in here. I'm unsure if it's yeast or coconut bits but they're all over the place.

S: Not much on the nose. There's a hint of spice, it's an earthy curry scent. I can't really put my finger on it, it's like a honeydew scent mixed with parsley or something.

T: I pick up what might be coconut, it's a toasty flavor so I'm guessing that's the coconut. It's not like eating a coconut doughnut or anything, but there's the back-toasted flavor. I get the curry in there, but it's not a strong hot curry, it's a mellow earthy flavor. It's not bad but there isn't much of the beer coming through. For a Hefe, I'd love to get some of that wheat flavor in there. It's far too clean tasting and mostly the curry comes out.

M: The mouthfeel isn't really thick enough and it's way under-carbonated. I'm barely even seeing any bubbles in here.

O: Overall this wasn't a win in my eyes. I didn't get much coconut, the curry tasted good but there wasn't any real beer to back it up. It was way under-carbonated which killed the enjoyment for me. I love those big bubbly Hefe's with a strong white head. I wouldn't really recommend it.

3.41/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Nice to see New Belgium continue to be adventurous with their Lips of Faith series. Curiosity forced my hand on this one, and I came into it with lower expectations. I think the flavors actually worked well together and complemented the hefeweizen style. Coconut came out the strongest to me, both in aroma and taste, but I got some galangal notes in there as well. Sweet but not cloying. Didn't have the foresight to pair it with Indian cuisine, but I imagine it would have worked quite well.

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

1.78/5  rDev -47.3%

Hazy dark gold with an off white head which fades quickly leaving little lacing. The aroma has coconut, curry, and some wheat. Even though the aroma delivers what the bottle advertises, I'm not sure this is a good combination.

The taste has coconut, curry, and there is a light amount of wheat. The taste is what is promised on the bottle, but it does not seem to work very well. Maybe the problem is adding coconut and curry to a hefeweizen? Another style of beer might have been a better choice. Too bad this doesn't work, because I like coconut and curry, but they aren't working here.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. Not to my liking unfortunately, I won't be buying this again.

4.36/5  rDev +29%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a- nice foggy unfiltered hefe

S- Look I know it doesn't smell like grapefruit or chocolate...It is not supposed to. One of the most interesting noses

T- Its almost parallel to what it says, bananas, coconut, and some spice

M- a little thick but coconut and 8% what would you expect

O- I heard about bad bottles, this was not one. I think a lot of the bad ratings are due to hop heads and beer geek purists. I thought this beer was balanced and fun. Probably wont age well with the coconut, however on this date it was surprise and a great treat.

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

1.5/5  rDev -55.6%

4.35/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful fiery orange body, with a bubbly off white head that disappears quicker than a paycheck at a strip club, leaving not a trace.

Smells very sweet, almost candy like, with a very distinct orange scent and faint notes of spices like coriander and cinnamon with just a hint of curry on the end of the nose.

The taste is very much similar,but, there is a bit more of a standard hefeweizen flavors; banana backbone with orange up front and a bit more forward on the coriander. The finish is a tiny bit hot, no doubt due to the curry. Overall a truly unique and quite impressive interpretation of a hefeweizen.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and the carbonation is quite prickly while the finish is a bit dry, with a bit of heat following.

Surprisingly drinkable.

Quite a nice beer, very interesting and a bit different. I like it.

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

3.9/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer caught my eye on the shelf, as I'm a fan of coconut curries and of coconut deftly used in a beer. They've certainly been pumping out the Lips of Faith beers, and many are a little blah, but I thought the flavors here might shine through. That they do, and fairly pleasantly as well. Fairly aggressive yellow curry flavors dominate, but without developing any acridness. The coconut is more subdued, and I'd like to see a bit more of it. The hefe base is already fairly well taken over by the other assertive elements, and some more coconut could help beef up the body and add some silkiness. Right now it comes off as a curry that's a little thin. Still, all around a pretty decent effort and the flavors are fairly spot on even if the body isn't.

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

4.1/5  rDev +21.3%

Cloudy orange color with large dense white foamy head. No lacing to speak of, but nice complexity.

Tons of coconut, milky, wheaty, celery, curry, spice.

Drinks very well. Not think or syrupy, but has nice body and complexity. Carbonation is a perfect medium. Coconut is not sugary; helps dim the could be overwhelming spice. Wheat-y-ness is nearly buried, but provides nice smooth balance.

One of the better LoF in recent productions. I would recommend this brew as a good spice brew; a sipper to be shared. I won't seek again. but it should be tried and not snubbed. Unique.

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen from New Belgium Brewing