1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen - New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry HefeweizenLips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 08-09-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 312 | Reviews: 68 | Show All Ratings:
SFACRKnight

Colorado

3.65/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured this from the bottle (I love the lips of faith bottles!) Into a colorado avs shaker pint.
Pours a cloudy gold color with an inch of foamy white head. Nice to see that although NB has decided to pasturize their beers they did choose to let this one make it through alive. Smells like a bit of bread but mostly a sweet curry scent, and the flavor follows. I'm getting the bready background, banana, clove, cinnamon, somehow its reminding me of cocoa mole. Good medium mouthfeel, but easy drinking. Overall, its a good beer. The coconut curry and hefe base beer work well together, but as I drank this bits and pieces remind me of cocoa mole, and in the end I was just wishing that it was.

09-15-2013 13:45:31 | More by SFACRKnight
vette2006c5r

4.68/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Coconut Curry pours a a cloudy bright yellow color with no head. There is a sweet aroma with strong curry notes. The taste is sweet, with strong creamy curry flavors. Flavors are present, and blend very well; coconut is barley noticeable. Overall a very fantastic and different beer.

09-14-2013 22:51:38 | More by vette2006c5r
thebigredone

Wisconsin

3.43/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Tried this at a tasting with some friends, certainly not something I would have ever picked out myself.

Expectations were low. Surprisingly, I think New Belgium did rather well in terms of making a coconut curry hefe. Solid curry taste, and rather drinkable.

Now, with all of the above said, I still don't know why any brewery would want to make a coconut curry hefeweizen. There is no way in hell I would ever consider ordering a full pour of this. Big pass.

09-14-2013 18:33:26 | More by thebigredone
jeff1973

3.73/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Marin Brewing pint glass. June 2013 bottle date, so about 2 months old.

A - Hazy yellow - orange. Eggshell head dissipates quickly.

S - Curry is upfront, then you smell the coconut (also very prominent). The classic hefeweizen banana and clove comes thru at the end.

T - Curry flavor is upfront, but right behind with coconut and banana and clove. Has that nice light hefeweizen flavor after the initial curry rush. All flavors blend nicely.

M - Medium. Medium high carbonation. Very nice for this style. Even w/ all the flavor, still refreshing.

O - Definitely weird, but good weird. I would buy this again, but must be in the mood.

09-11-2013 03:57:11 | More by jeff1973
cindyjeffsmith

Georgia

3.93/5  rDev +17.3%

appearance: Very hazy. Not seeing the coconut floaties I keep hearing bout but definitely thick with something. Fairly dark yellow gold. Pretty thick off white head and lacing. Not a bad looking beer.
smell: Very nice. Sweet and spicy with nicely balanced coconut and curry front and center.
taste: more of the same. Quite a nice surprise. Based on reviews I was worried this would be a failed experiment. Not at all imo. Interesting and well executed. Again, coconut and curry well balanced and front and center sweet/spicy. NIce dry rich spice finish.
overall: Well done. Pairing this with red curry, pecan encrusted fish.

09-10-2013 22:39:42 | More by cindyjeffsmith
bmwats

Louisiana

3.55/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a 50 cl weizen.

A: Hazy golden hue. Pours a 3 finger, bubbly, white head. Disintegrates, leaving dry residue, and desecrated bubbles behind. Dry spider web lacing.

S: As the name implies... coconut, curry, ginger, and nutmeg. Comes across as a little synthetic. Just an unusual combination, I guess.

T: Wheaty with sweet hints of coconut and ginger, and a little spice from the curry. None as strong as the nose gives off.... which is good. Well-balanced.

M: Light body. The spice notes infiltrate the nasal cavity as you tip it back. Leaves kind of an odd bitter, spicy finish, ultimately.

D: Sip and savor.

Atmosphere is really nice. Opaque, giant head, and some pervasive dry lacing. Nose consists of strong presence of its namesake components; coconut and curry, accentuated with some ginger and fall spice. Wheaty with well-balanced subtle infusions of its flavor components. Overall, this is a good quaff.

09-08-2013 03:08:01 | More by bmwats
jayhass

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is a cloudy golden color with a white head that fades fast.
Smell is curry spice, light coconut, esters and some black pepper.
Taste Spicy sweet malt with the curry standing at the forefront. Coconut is there with some pepper. The hefewiezen does make an appearance with some banana and light cloves but the curry stands above the rest. Eating something salty helped reduce the curry and pull some of the beer flavor out.

09-08-2013 00:50:27 | More by jayhass
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

3.01/5  rDev -10.1%

22 oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.
8% ABV,

A - Chunky eggshell colored lace clutches the glass following the dense head's departure, sinking into the hazed apricot orange beer.

S - Curry by itself isn't bad, but when it's the focal point of a beer's aroma, not only does it become incredibly off-putting to me, but it completely blankets everything else this beer might have to offer. I smell no characteristic of a Hefeweizen, especially an 8% ABV one for that matter. In fact, i smell nothing but curry. It's like a trip down memory lane to my wife-then-girlfriend's condo with Indian neighbors who stunk up the whole floor.

T - After the offensive aroma, the taste takes a considerable step back and allows more than curry through, like some actual beer flavor! Pale malt offers notes of sweetness and graininess as well, transitioning into suggestions of banana and clove, but the likeness of a Hefeweizen is certainly not here when this beer finishes with a blend of spices, most notably curry. Coconut shavings are sprinkled on top, almost like an afterthought.

M - When the beer's huge amount of spice is considered, it's amazing how little it plays through into the feel, really landing at a tame, balanced dry finish that works wonderfully with the smooth, medium body and lingering touch of sweetness.

O - On one hand I truly enjoy the experimental and unique nature of the Lips of Faith series of beers but, on the other, I simply can't get on board with a beer that completely decimates its base style with obscene amounts of spice (thou I'm mainly referring to the aroma which is nothing but curry). I was intrigued and excited by this beer as I always will be by Lips brews but in the end Coconut Curry Hefeweizen doesn't do a thing for me.

09-07-2013 22:08:22 | More by BeerFMAndy
Misanthropy_Sipping

Nebraska

4.14/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Really happy to see another round of bizarre Lips Of Faith from New Belgium. They really stepped out of the box it seemed when I saw this bottle.

The hefe pours out a rich hazy, gold with a hint of amber/orange. The head flairs a bit and is slightly off white and bumpy. It settles down into this strange spotty fuzz that for some reason reminds me of a moldy surface of a fruit.

And... what is this? It appears I have a coconut shaving in my beer... maybe a few. Interesting... Unfiltered glory!

(Really, I found a few shavings...)

The smell is robust. You definitely get a great deal of intermingling between the coconut and the curry. Both are very prominent. There is a lot of pineapple going on with it and some earthy pepper. It smells fairly sweet. In the background you catch a hint of the banana-y hefe. Kind of a dirty scent as well, but not off-putting. It has all the hallmarks of walking into an Indian restaurant. The robust pungency is a bit in your face. Which can be good and bad at times.

Taste... wow, I knew the smell had this beer all wrapped up but I just can't believe to some degree that this was pulled off in a manner that actually comes together and works pretty well. The coconut and curry is right up there, blaring. You get a hint of cayenne pepper toward the end and a bouquet of banana, pineapple, clove, maybe a touch of licorice, and a rich and sweet hefe. The hefe comes through pretty well among the boisterous flavors and competition.

Mouthfeel is pretty wonderful. A creamy, medium to heavy body. The carbonation is very complimentary and the alcohol gives a nice warmth to the mouth that flows evenly with the warmth of the cayenne and curry. Not what I might consider refreshing, but weighing in at 8%ABV, this is a great body for such a hefe.

Overall, pretty aggressive. Aggressive keeps coming to mind. It really drives it home and lets you know what it has in store for you. A part of me likes it, a part of me kind of wants another. But at the same time, I have a hard time picturing myself 'in the mood' to drink this kind of thing. Even if I were dying for Indian food, I just don't know. It was quite well accomplished though, it wasn't gross whatsoever and it was interesting and pretty easy to drink all the way through. I can't think of how you could makes such a strange thing better, but at the same time I am left with the same crushing thought of, "When might I want to drink this again?" Maybe a camping trip in the spring?

Ah! Great job to New Belgium for pulling it off! It was good overall.

09-07-2013 02:15:34 | More by Misanthropy_Sipping
Beerlover

4.39/5  rDev +31%

I was soooo excited when I saw our store had gotten this one in, im sure I will be as disappointed with one as I have with most of "experimental" beers I have tried lately... but I hope not, Indian cuisine is one of my favs only proceeded by thai!

a: extremely cloudy!! its easy to see this is a true UNFILTERED hefe styl, I think I even saw some rather large chunks/floaties in the bottle. color is a almost glowing apricot color with a quickly dissipating foamy white head, which under lies some noticeabley sized goobers which I would guess to be curry perhaps?

s: not getting much coconut here, the curry aromas are there though, not getting any hop aromas and getting a bunch of wheat.

t: whoa!! I can't believe it!! this is great!! I thought for sure this was going to be a bomb! the coconut is very faint and in the background, not the focus at all, at least not in this bottle. You really get punched in the face with the curry though!! I LOVE curry. "Curry! Curry!!" I;m also tasting very significantly what reminds me of a giant bowl of steamy white sticky rice!? maybe this was brewed with rice and wheat, idk but whatever it is its great. I could go for some indian and or thai to go with this RIGHT NOW! The crazy thing about this beer is that its totally a hefewiezen, the wheat is there all the way but not too strong, it also leaves a warming sensation in your stomach!

o.v. Its for the times and experiences like this that I love beer so much, this one caught my completely by surprise and I love that. if you like hefewiezens, curry and or coconut TRY THIS! I did drink this abnormally cold for an ale, and it didn't seem as good as it warmed which is uncharacteristic for an ale.

09-05-2013 22:38:24 | More by Beerlover
KVNBGRY

4.13/5  rDev +23.3%

Bottle

Appearance - Classic light gold, cloudy Hefeweizen. very thin white head.

Aroma - Banana, and clove are there but they're quite muted. I get a bit of sweet banana nut bread, and maybe even a bit of curry.

Taste - Banana nut bread, sweet coconut, and a slight bite of curry / cayenne on the back end. This is incredibly refreshing.

Mouthfeel - Thick, chewy, and a bit under carbonated.

Overall - I don't see why people are rating this negatively (especially if they're not fans of curry... or indian cuisine) the beer is amazing for the style they're going for. Well done! I hope to one day see NB age this in a barrel of some sort... maybe "new oak" or even tequila.

09-03-2013 02:42:05 | More by KVNBGRY
n8opot8o

1.25/5  rDev -62.7%

I love experimental beers--I even liked the BEET BEER New Belgium served on tap at the brewery awhile back. Now, with the beet beer, a pint is about all you can handle and all that you need to really appreciate and bask in the weirdness. It's great to try, smile and nod, and know that you're enjoying something truly unique--and, doggonit, good for New Belgium for thinking outside the box. I'd drink that beet beer by the barrel-full before ever having even a sip of this "Coconut Curry" tragedy again.

For starters, the appearance is gross. Flat-out gross. There are chunks of who-knows-what (coconut? lime? plastic? disease?) bobbing at the top and floating all around the glass. Initially the chunks were trying to hide in a foamy, white head, but as that quickly dissipated, there they are, staring at me. There's so much of whatever it is floating around in there, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to scrub out my glass when done. And the mystery floaters certainly don't look anything like any coconut I've ever seen. The beer, itself, is opaque and the color of dehydration urine.

I don't know if the bottle I got was infected but it smells like melting plastic mixed with a very faint, artificial car-freshener coconut smell. I don't smell curry or anything resembling spices you can buy anywhere, not even the most obscure spice market. It makes me want to gag--this is definitely the first beer I've ever had this experience with. I could use a lot of words to describe the aroma but magnificent is not one of them. If you blindfolded me and told me to smell and drink this, I would tell you to go jump off a bridge.

Just like the smell, it tastes like melting plastic. It doesn't taste anything like a hefeweizen. It doesn't taste like coconut or curry or spice. Melting plastic. As it warms, it only gets worse and I only get more and more sad that I'm giving it so many chances to convince me that it's even a mediocre beer. It leaves an aftertaste that makes me want to sandpaper my tongue and plug my nose with a clothespin until I get the chance to brush my teeth and gargle with gasoline.

The mouthfeel is awful. If it weren't for the chunks, it may have been the only tolerable thing about this beer.

In closing, I'm not joking: there is something majorly wrong with this beer. If a really bad homebrewer was to take a filthy, sweat-soaked sock that he's been wearing for three weeks and threw it into his carboy along with a handful of dirt and a chunk of coconut air-freshener, mid-fermentation, and the carboy had never been sealed from outside air and he didn't even know anything about soap and sanitizing, I imagine that his end-result would be a better beer. I don't drain-pour often, but see ya later.

09-02-2013 23:28:31 | More by n8opot8o
MikeMilanoDesign

4.88/5  rDev +45.7%

a: what you would expect from a hefe. straw yellow and hazy. head has some coconut
oil in it

s: up front hints of lime and coconut then ends with hints wheat

t: starts with light notes of lime and coconut, follows through with the butteriness of
coconut, then flavors of the curry spices. and last but not least the cayenne sneaks
through and ends with a lemony finish

m: smooth and refreshing with a buttery coconut oil hint

overall its great totally recommend it to anyone that likes a bit of spice and something new. however i kinda wish the curry was a bit more prominent and same with the cayenne,maybe not as much as ballast point did with there habanero sculpin

09-01-2013 04:32:49 | More by MikeMilanoDesign
Slatetank

3.91/5  rDev +16.7%

enjoyed chilled from the bomber in two goblets - with octopus87 bottle purchased from Outlet Liquors in Rehoboth beach in DE.

The color is rosy golden with thick haziness and practically no head with what appears to be coconut particles. There is a small bubble ring which dissapears and carbonation is visible as expected. The smell is very interesting with some mild coconut with nutty tropical and slight cumin-like spice scent with a gentle wheat odor with mild floral element augmenting the nutty spice and tropical aroma. The feel is good with semi-full body and moderately high carbonation with light oily tinge and mild spice to bolster the wheat sweetness and there is a creamy wheat essence with mostly dry finish.

The flavor is excellent...it delivers on both the coconut and curry flavors with light tropical fruit from the hefeweizen yeast with the familiar clove element and light blend of coconut creaminess and toasted flavors which meld well with the curry which seems to have a mild cumin/cardamom quality to round out the nice balance of wheat malt and spice with nutty tropical coconut taste into the finish. Overall I think it makes perfect sense and shows the level of creativity New Belgium brings to the craft with coconut in a hefeweizen seeming like a logical combo with the banana you might expect from hefeweizen yeast but coconut curry in the realm of hefeweizen is something else entirely it is almost what I would call a 'food beer' ...on its own it can seem a little much but it works and if you like the idea you will probably enjoy this -well done New Belgium

08-28-2013 01:29:37 | More by Slatetank
Beaver13

Colorado

2.8/5  rDev -16.4%

22 oz bottle. Pours hazy dark golden yellow with a medium fizzy white head that quickly goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is lots of perfumey curry spices with some wheat and a little fruit.

The flavor is a little sweet fruit with a lot of curry spices. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, interesting curry beer but very one-dimensional and over the top with the spice. I didn't really get any coconut.

08-23-2013 05:01:47 | More by Beaver13
cjgiant

District of Columbia

2.13/5  rDev -36.4%

For fans of "oddball" beers, this might be worth a try. The coconut hit up front, and there was a bite of curry later in the taste. There was less "beer" flavor that other flavors, it seemed to me.

The combination didn't work for me, but I am not a big fan of fruit or spiced beer.

08-19-2013 22:46:47 | More by cjgiant
homebrew311

3.89/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served on tap at the Oak Park Micro Brew Review. Pours a cloudy orange with some yeast obviously in suspension. Some white head forms and retains nicely leaving a decent amount of lace. The smell starts with a heavy toasted coconut character which is very nicely presented. This intertwines with notes from the hefe base with the typical banana and bubblegum. Curry also adds a very unique component to the nose and gives a very spicy quality to the nose. The taste is packed with coconut and curry flavor. Coconut remains at the forefront with curry adding a kick towards the end. This brew is begging to be paired with a nice Thai dish, perhaps even get cooked into a nice Thai dish. Mouthfeel features high carbonation and light body. Overall, I am impressed with how well these exotic flavors are incorporated into the beer, a hefeweizen no less. This is the first sign of promise in the Lips of Faith series as it is not an utter mess like the last few I have reviewed have been. This definitely wins points for its uniqueness and its representation of the ingredients listed. Definitely not an everyday drinker, but worth a taste.

08-19-2013 01:10:45 | More by homebrew311
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.63/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Really, a BOISE review is the FIRST?? Christ, I have had this a few times in the last week... Folks are scared to enter this one first... I am too. :-)

The first 2x bottles that were shared with me showed a nice hazy golden brew with a decent short lasting white head... THIS bottle has tons of little flecks of what assume are spice or coconut remnants in it.. They are caking all over inside the glass... no head and no retention.. just specks of lord knows what.

The nose is fine and does deliver on the label's promise (sort of)... there is plenty of curry (garam masala??) with a nice toasty coconut aroma.. the hefe notes are lost and might be picked out as banana, but I am probably imagining things.

Flavor mirrors the nose with an everpresent "bite" from the curry that builds with subsequent sips.. Still the coconut comes up and out. A bit peppery and cardamom builds.. perhaps some cumin and coriander .. The only "hefe" notes I get might be from a bigger ABV fermented out into some banana and "my mind's palate" clove.

Pretty thick across the board with a connoisseur appreciation if done well... The brew delivers on all fronts... but for the "geeks", it is one and done...

3.25/3.5/3.75/3.75/3.5