Accumulation - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Belgian IPA |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: ChrisCBeets on 09-23-2013

This winter, IBUs start accumulating like snow in Colorado with our new Accumulation White IPA. Brewing a white IPA was not only a way to salute the white beauty falling from the sky, but a direct revolt to the longstanding tradition of brewing dark beers for winter. At least that’s what our rebellious brewer Grady Hull likes to claim as he shovels in plenty of new hop varietals and a bit of wheat for a smooth mouthfeel. Stack up a few cases of Accumulation White IPA to keep your long nights glowing blizzard white.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Accumulation Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,550 | Reviews: 244

This is one seasonal that should clearly be sold year round. Already craving the absence of Accumulation.

Discovered my new favorite IPA.

4.92/5  rDev +33%

A very nice wheat style white IPA, very enjoyable.

4.89/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I can't put it in to words the best but smell and flavor are top notch for an IPA! I wish they had this for a summer brew! I've had a decent amount of IPAs but this one easily lands within my top 5!

4.81/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very good with a holiday dinner!

4.79/5  rDev +29.5%

Pours a clear yellow. Nice and foamy and very refreshing. This is my favorite part of winter.

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Presentation: Tulip Glass

Appearance: A light golden color w. a haziness.

Smell: A great floral, hoppy, fruity, citrus, wheaty wonderful aroma.

Taste: It has a powerfully floral taste with a bite of hop. A wheat undertone makes the beer taste more rounded.

One of my favorite beers I wish i could get all year-round. Has a delightfully balanced floral/hop taste that makes for a great "have to try beer".

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

Finally, a winter beer that isn't Ultra Dark Night Coffee Bourbon Stout. And a solid IPA to boot. Medium bodied and pale yellow, big head initially then persistent lacing. Pine and citrus in the hop profile, which are my favorite hop notes. Very faint wheat. Big fan and my *light* winter ale of choice (the "dark" one going to Sierra Nevadas Celebration).

4.73/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.
6.2% ABV, Serve at 45°F, Best before 23FEB14

A - Fluffy sheets of lace coat the glass like wind-blown snow from the lofty pile of white foam, resting gently on the clear pale yellow beer.

S - Bright citrus notes shine with vibrant updrafts of lemon peel, moist apricot, white grape skin, and tropical fruit essence while dry wheat and subtle pale malt lay low.

T - Accumulation's bold citrus character is piled high like a mound of snowballs waiting to be thrown, ripe with tropical fruit smoothie flavor; mango, lemon, peach, white grape, and, though buried in snow, faint earthy grass on the finish.

M - Crisp and refreshing like a brisk breeze, Accumulation has a bright, airy feel that's punctuated by soft wheat and smooth hop bitterness, finishing with a touch of dryness and lingering tingle of citrus.

O - Accumulation is so ripe with fresh, tropical fruitiness you'd swear there was fruit in the beer but New Belgium's flurry of hops generates the whole avalanche of fruit flavor, piling on top of the beer's perfect wit-like base of grainy pale malts and soft wheat. It's incredibly drinkable and refreshing in a sea of spiced, high alcohol, warming winter beers.

4.63/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Favorite beer ever, along with Rolle Bolle from New Belgium. Cant help but love the interesting concoction, since I love IPA's and I love Witbiers. Pours a nice light honey-straw yellow, clear and crisp. If the mark of a good beer is lacing, this is king, since I have a shot's worth of beer lining my glass from top to bottom. All around a great drink, and nice at 6.2 abv to accumulate many beer sweaters for cold weather defense. I drank one of these on the lift at Red Lodge Mountain in Montana and it made for a darn fun ride down the hill.

4.63/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is the type of IPA that I crave. It's not heavy on malts. The peach, pineapple, apricot coating in this beer is what I look for. You don't get much grapefruit tones in this one. The look on this beer is a bright lemon drop color. The smell is orange juice all the way.

Love this IPA by NB. I think their IPA's don't get enough credit. Nice job on this one.

4.6/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

It was delicious and smooth

4.6/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Opened this to very nice grapefruit citrus smell and taste. The beer had a great mouth feel and tasted as good coming in as going down. This should be a year round seller.

4.52/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is coming from a guy who has not had very many WIPAs that he has really liked.

A - A ninety percent clear pale yellow/gold brew, with a head retention that mostly went away within about 5 minutes or so, then stayed to cover the top layer of beer for the entirety. Leaving lace on the glass that was thin and of no particular pattern.

S - Wonderful, I could not figure out the hops, but I really like it. First part of the smell is very much a slap in the face of hops, then ending in obvious bitter bliss.

T - Citrus off the bat with an extra earthy tone, then a split second of light malt flavor with complicated specialties; as the hops set in to a very special bitterness I really enjoy with a subltle fruityness. Followed by a slight throte alcohol taste, but of course not too strong at all. Infact it's very drinkable, smooth, and asking for another drink (gulp) Tasted a slight hint of pine that drink. Yum.

M - Not too much or little carbonation, full bodied, and not too thick. The flavor intrudes my perception of the mouthfeel as its bitterness tingles my tounge, mouth, and throte.

O - Seriously enjoy the S**T out of this beer, the drinkability is high and easy to have more than a few (Look out) it's strong ABV takes it's hold quickly as the third cap is popped off. I will cry the day this beer is no longer brewed, rather hoping for the next winter to roll around. (crosses fingers)

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Outlier detected. Please enter a review.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

Better than good, crisp White IPA Taste is hoppy goodness. Color is Brilliantly golden. Head a good 3/4 inch after the poor. Lacing is good at first but dissipates towards the end. This is a damn good beer. Color is ...oh who cares As I said Damn good beer.

4.49/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very good IPA, great winter beer.

4.44/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful drinkable IPA,my new football watching beer.

4.39/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite winter seasonal!

4.39/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A very solid IPA by a very solid brewery! These guys never disappoint and this one is true to form. A very clean beer with great smell and a taste that builds to a good hop finish. If you like American IPA this is a fine choice. I will enjoy several of these while they last!

4.36/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Clear, pale yellow color. I think this is the lightest beer I've ever seen. Poured a creamy 1/2 finger head. Nice sticky lacing.

S- Very nice. Really strong aromas. Tropical fruits, orange, sweet grapefruit, earthy spice, lemon, and some dank. The malt is in there too.

T/M - I had to ponder throughout... not that it was that complex, but it was definitely a mix I hadn't experienced before. To me, the mouthfeel was more intimately tied to flavors than you usually experience. It has this light/smooth thing going on... almost like the tropical fruits, citrus, pine, spice, caramel, and bready malts are flowing just underneath a thin, resinous, oily cream... I'm guessing that is the influence of the wheat.

O- I was not expecting to like this as much as I did. The 83 rating led me to believe this was going to be something else, entirely. I loved how the mouthfeel, flavors, and aromas played together in this beer! If it comes back around next winter, I promise I will have again.

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

Accumulation of snow is not a problem here, but a white IPA? Something extraordinary, lets give it a whirl. Popping the top I get a huge citrus waft of lemon, orange and grapefruit oils with a nice sweetness in the background. Pours into my trusty SAPP to a slightly cloudy watery bright yellow with a massive white pillowy head that stands for what seems like forever, On the taste this brew has a nice citrus hop bite that is well balanced with a citrusy sweetness. The taste transitions to a more bitter middle with sweet and bitter finish that is mostly clean. Mouthfeel is light but insignificant due to overall flavor. Head holds up all the way through the brew, a nice light drinker with a good flavor kick, definitely a keeper.

4.34/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a straw hazy yellow, half finger of white head. Looks like grapefruit juice.

Smell is 100% citrus, grapefruit, lemon, citrus peels maybe a little grassy hop character.

Taste is really impressive, was not expecting this based on the scores, tropical and citrus are all over this thing, grapefruit juice, lemon juice, light orange and tangerine, just really juicy, slight pepper like spice, like wheat character, pear and yep even more grapefruit in the bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium light but built up do to the heavy carbonation, finishes rather dry.

WOW, was not expecting this based on the score, maybe it is suffering from a little of NB biased... People seem to shit all over them because of there size and whatnot... Which I never understood as SN gets nothing but praise and they are even larger.

If you like a good Citrus, grapefruit, tropical bomb at a even better price scoop it up.

Will be scooping up a 12 or two of this!

4.33/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L (4.25) – Well, this beer is a white IPA, and it is light in color. Not white, but I can see where that comes from. A nice little amount of very white head on top.

S (4.25) – Smells really good. I definitely get the citrusy smells.

T (4.5) – Tastes just like it smells. Get the nice hop presence up front, and lingers a little on the aftertaste. In a good way!

F (4) – Appropriate carb and mouthfeel for the style. Nothing amazing or irritating either way here.

O (4.25) – I’m not quite sure why I bought this beer, but I was pleasantly surprised. I always like New Belgium beers, and this one was above average for sure. Not very familiar with the white IPA style, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will definitely buy again!

4.33/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pale yellow White fluffy head with a Grapefruit aroma. Tangerine and Mango flavor of the hops is upfront. Carried by a light body mouth feel. Very refreshing beer.

Accumulation from New Belgium Brewing