Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Accumulation - New Belgium Brewing

AccumulationAccumulation

good

New Belgium Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian IPA |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: ChrisCBeets on 09-23-2013

This winter, IBUs start accumulating like snow in Colorado with our new Accumulation White IPA. Brewing a white IPA was not only a way to salute the white beauty falling from the sky, but a direct revolt to the longstanding tradition of brewing dark beers for winter. At least that’s what our rebellious brewer Grady Hull likes to claim as he shovels in plenty of new hop varietals and a bit of wheat for a smooth mouthfeel. Stack up a few cases of Accumulation White IPA to keep your long nights glowing blizzard white.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Accumulation Alström Bros
Reviews: 212 | Hads: 1,556

Pours a pale gold with a mild haze. White head forms and leaves tons of sticking lacing. Nose starts with resinous hops, notes of pine, grapefruit, and citrus. Taste starts with a Bit of grainy bread notes followed by grass, pine, and a decent amount of bitterness. This is quite tasty and well balanced. Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Overall, this kind of reminds me of Daisy Cutter in terms of hop profile and malt presence. Quite drinkable! (448 characters)

Accumulation India White Pale Ale – New Belgium Brewing Co. – Fort Collins, CO.

This ale pours a pale yellow and cloudy. Leaves a nice fine head and very nice lacing. The aroma is very fresh and clean. Hops and citrus abound with a prevalent grapefruit overtone. The first sip hits you with hops and then the grapefruit comes through with a smooth slightly malt finish. Very clean mouth feel and quite smooth overall. A nice Winter offering from New Belgium. 6.2% ABV (472 characters)

i tried 2 different new belgium brewery beers this evening ,2nd review
called a white india pale ale on the bottle

sold in single bottles for $1.50 picked up 2

poured into a malt glass 4" head settling down to 1"
exceptional lacing noted when swirled in the glass

nose- citrus from the Amarillo hops , i would guess Simco or other, that's what they say is in this ale
carbonation -fine -appears real not artificially carbonated

color light straw clear , no bottom of vat residuals, some like this some don't figure i'd mention it.
they put alot of work into this one and is quite drinkable, and will purchase it again
nice well rounded IPA , not a bitter nor was it inteneded to be.

dry finish, with a just right hop bite.

no synth. beer after taste
and somewhat better than their fat tire ale (809 characters)

On tap at Lala's, the only interesting beer I saw. Served in a New Belgium globe which was nice, this was a very cloudy yellow color. Aroma was interesting, wheat and spice and hops. Flavor was a really nice citrusy lemon with hint of wheat, this surprised me. (260 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Poured a hazy straw color. Lighter color than I expected, doesn't match the nose off the beer. Pours like a wheat/golden ale, not an IPA. Heavy lacing, head dissipates quickly.

S: Great, fruity/floral hop aroma. Passionfruit, tropical fruits, jasmine/lavender notes. Not a typical hop profile for New Belgium, I like it though. Not a hop bomb either, can pick up the biscuity malts in the nose as well.

T: Hops come through nicely, but are balanced on the finish with a good wheat malt backbone. Bitterness is well balanced.

M: Smooth mouthfeel, pick up a creaminess from the malts and residual yeast. Mouthfeel definitely not typical of a traditional IPA. Not as clean on the tongue as I would have preferred.

O: Labeled a White IPA (a new style for me), I would put in the category of a Pale Wheat Ale. Great fruity hop aroma, hops balanced by good wheat and malts. Balanced and easy drinking, creamy mouthfeel my only drawback. Labeled a Winter Seasonal, I could drink this one year-round though. Nice work New Belgium. (1,038 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pale straw, hazy with a huge three finger head that reduces to a dense cap in time leaving very attractive lacing on the glass.

Peach, pineapple, citrus, tobacco, powder and hay atop a thin pale malt body. Very pleasant aroma with some power to it.

Malt is not sweet at all, pale malt with a noticeable amount of husky grain, some wet paper bag but with some wheat twang that accompanies the hops. Pine and grassy hop character in the flavor, not much of the tropical or citrus in the nose but it matches the beer well. Some wheat and powdery notes from the yeast. Finishes with a steady building bitterness.

Medium bodied, appropriate with no hint of alcohol. Decent carbonation to it. Lacks a high amount of drying and clean malt.

White IPAs were a trend that leveled off this year but this is probably one of the better ones I've had, definitely more assertive with the hops than the masses. Aroma is great, makes for a brighter winter season. Ignore the NB hate and give it a try. (988 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +7%

12oz bottle best by the 9th of may 2014

slightly golden yellow, hazy, big head of foam. smell is lemony and skunky hops... nice and stinky. taste is closer to an american ipa than i expected: reminds me a little of hopalicious. there is a little peppery clove, but its mostly dank pine and citrus.

might be my favorite NB ipa. (328 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

A - cloudy yellowish in a goblet glass, a little like apple cider.

S - citrusy and hoppy

T - marketed as a winter white IPA, but tastes more like a summer brew. Strong hops flavor but not overpowering.

M - nice aftertaste due to the smooth hoppy flavor.

I picked up a 6 of this last winter and forgot about it until 5 months later.. Nice mix of hops and fruit with a fairly high ABA. I'm impressed with New Belgium's IPA offerings and look forward to sampling more. (470 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

A-Pours a hazy, milky yellow color. Body is vibrant. Head is very skinny. It appears as a thin, crooked, patchy film of white fizz. Random islands of lace on the glass.

S-Zesty citrus and lemons with grass and some light tropical fruitiness. Pale maltiness and a slightly spicy yeast character. Cooked light graininess. Some breadiness.

T-The flavor falls a bit flat. I actually found the nose to be pretty inviting. Hops are light pineapple and some clementine (not bitter enough to remind me of a grapefruit or anything like that). More breadiness, pale maltiness and soft peppery spice. Lots of cooked grain. Finishes with a grassy bitterness that isn't very intense.

M-Lighter bodied with a buzzing amount of carbonation. Medium to light bitterness. Drinks easily.

O/D-I enjoyed this brew and find it a bit underrated. Don't get New Belgium in my parts so this was a bit of a treat. White IPAs aren't the most beloved style but I generally enjoy them and this one I would drink again. (992 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Slightly hazed straw color topped with an excellent, tight, frothy head. Nice bright hoppy aroma...clean lemon/lime, floral hop, and a wee bit of spicy pine. Fresh hop pellets on the tongue as well - general citrusy greenness with a sweetness through the finish. Lively, light bodied, and a bit crisp. I like it...very drinkable and fresh. (339 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This a Winter offering from New Belgium. I normally drink thick Belgians, Trappists, Porters, and stouts in colder weather rather than hoppy beers. This white IPA is a surprise though. The label says fruit and citrus, but when first poured the nose is very pine and spruce and the flavor backs this up nicely. When I think "Winter," I think cold, crisp, air and the aroma of evergreens. So to me this ale is like Winter, or Christmas even, in a glass. A good beer to drink while "decking the halls." This clear, white ale has a white head that lasts and there is lacing on the glass. As it sits, more of the citrus aromas come through. (635 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

poured 12oz bottle into snifter.

A - A slight haze and lemon yellow color with a snowy white 2 finger head. Nice smattering of lace clings around the glass.

S - Strong citrus aromas from the Amarillo hops. I get some lemon zest and a light sweet bread flavor from the malts.

T - Bitter citrus and grapefruit with hints of lemon zest up front. A light malt presence gives it a little bready and sweetness quality.

M - It has an appealing mouth feel in that it is lighter and easy to drink. Some bitterness lingers on the palate.

O - I'm not a fan of "White IPAs," but this one is enjoyable. I really like flavor profile of Amarillo hops. (643 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle -> Wine Glass

A: Pale straw yellow/ blonde, mostly clear with a very slight haze, minimal white head, long stringy ring lacing.
S: Citrus - lemon/grapefruit, hops, flinty.
T: Grapefruit, melon, floral, bitter hoppy finish.
M: Light bodied, crisp, tart, good CO2, palate-cleansing effect.
O: Interesting. Definitely an easy drinker that packs good flavor and a nice bitter hop finish. Reminds me of Sav Blanc wine with the grapefruit/gooseberry, melon and flintiness which is pretty cool for a beer. I wouldn't peg this as a winter beer but it is pretty solid nonetheless. I usually like a little more body to a beer but in this case it seems fitting. (663 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: A very golden pale colored beer with some head on the pour that does not disappear. Beer is not clear, but meets the description of a American IPA.

Smell: Big herbal, and citrus aroma from this beer. This is exactly what i'd expect. Doing great so far!

Taste: Very bitter hoppy taste. Not as bitter as some IPAs can be but it balances it rather nicely. A citrus flavor is noted towards the end of the beer. I really enjoy this.

Mouthfeel: highly carbonated, but the beer is smooth and light. This has short of a nice feel to it other than the high lip puckering feel you get when first sipping the beer.

Overall: I really liked this beer, and it makes up for the fall seasonal beer that i had from this brewer. I would definitely recommend this as a good American IPA. (784 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12ozbottle BB 020214

A- pours a slight hazed yellow color with a brilliant 1 finger head that recedes to reveal lacing and a fresh collar
S- lemon citrus and tropical smells along with wet wheat
T- mellow tropical hops with a nice citrus zing lemon grass and slight spice a wheat and somewhat bitter finish
M-crisp with good carbonation a bit of bitterness
O=as others have said this is a hopped Witbier tropical and fruity if you look at it as such its a good brew (468 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter from a twelve ounce bottle.

Cloudy straw colored body and a pale white, creamy head a finger thick. Good lacing. 4.25

Smells of Belgian yeast and sweet citrus. 4

Sweet malt, citrusy and floral with a touch of peppery yeast. Dank finish. Not bad at all. 3.75

Smooth and creamy with a bitter dry finish. I like. 4

good beer, I'm surprised by the overall rating. Should be higher, I'd say. (414 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +4.6%

A bit of a rarer New Belgium beer, I think this refers to the "accumulation" of snow on winters' nights.

Appearance (4) : Tall, white, fluffy three fingered head with lots of large bubbles on top. The body is a harvest golden color, with the density and hue of a Witbier. The head sticks around quite awhile, fluffs on top, and leaves webs of lacing around the glass.

Aroma (3.75) : Lots of grapefruit, lots and lots of grapefruit. Behind that a little lemon and orange peel, but mostly just plain grapefruit. I get the sense I'm about to eat breakfast and I'm reaching for Splenda. Obviously it's from the hops - but aroma is by and large, grapefruit. Bouquet is strong.

Taste (3.75) : Complex, buttery, fruity, and hoppy. The hops are a given, but around that, I'll describe the taste. On the tip of the tongue, the taste is salty, towards the middle is a more melted butter with fruit flavor, and as it hits the back of your tongue you taste the generous hops and citrus/grapefruit rind. The finish is pretty good on this, it's very dry and complete. Although I am not a fan of IPA's in general, this one is pretty decent. Swishing and rolling around the middle of the tongue yields some faint salty, buttery popcorn. In fact that's most of the flavor if you keep it in your mouth for around 10 seconds. Burps are orangey and grapefruity. I would say it tastes pretty good.

Mouthfeel (3.75) : By and large, this is a light bodied, lightly creamy beer. There's a stab of carbonation to keep things interesting. Dry and complex finish.

Overall (3.87) : This one had been sitting on the shelf for awhile (maybe 1+ year) before I purchased it. It was a bargain at roughly $1. I'm wondering if some fermentation didn't happen and now I've got some diacetyl going on here. Overall though, it is an enjoyable beer and even though I don't like IPA's, I can see myself finishing this one. (1,887 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a New Belgium globe glass.

The beer is a slightly fuzzy soft muted golden color. A white foamy head recedes to a thick film, and solid lines of lacing mark the glass. The aroma is spicy, minty, and piny. I swear a cocoa note is in there too. The taste is more on the piny side with notions of tropical fruits. A faint spice is found in the finish. The mouthfeel is dry, medium in weight.

Overall, I'm slowly getting used to the idea of holiday or winter beers being something lighter or hoppier. This one is refreshing while still offering notions of holiday flavors. (581 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured this into a Samuel Smith Imperial. The body has a hazy, lively carbonated, ultra light golden hue. The head is a gorgeous pillow of frothy white foam.
The aroma is sweet, crisp, and citrusy like a mountain of white sugar on a grapefruit. Underneath lurks a lot more malt sweetness then I expected--I was judging a beer by it's color. My bad.
The taste is sweet and fruity with hints of biscuity malt. The hop mix of Target, Centenial, Mosaic and Amarillo, balance's things out perfectly.
The mouthfeel is smooth with light carbonation.
Overall a great IPA. (563 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy pale yellow that makes me think of grapefruit. Nice, thin, creamy head. Very pleasant piney grapefruit fragrance. A very crisp, light hoppy taste with lemon and grapefruit hints. Finishes with a little more prominent piney hop. Actually very refreshing. This one surprised me. I could drink several of these and I would have never guessed it was 6.2 percent. I think more highly of this one as I think more about it. Not super complex. (457 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Why does New Belgium toy with my winter seasonal emotions? Was a big fan of 2 Below before they changed it to Snow Day...now it's Accumulation....c'mon maaaan!

12 oz bottle pours a barely-hazed pale straw color with an ample cap of stark white head. Nice retention and lace.

Nose is an earthy hop, lemon and light nuttiness from the yeast I find often in NB beers. Interesting blend of aromas and it works for the most part.

Taste is lemon zest, hazelnuts, grainy malt and an underlying grassy hop. It is more simplistic than both Snow Day and 2 Below, and I fear I dont like it as much as either. The hop profile is pretty good, but it lacks depth...not surprising with the pale malts used. Its not a bad beer by any means...in fact, tasty enough for me to buy another sixer at least. But I miss my 2 Below something fierce. (828 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a twelve pack of New Belgium's Accumulation a few days ago for $16.99 at Krogers. I'm in the mood for something hoppy tonight and since this is New Belgium's new winter seasonal I thought I should I give it a try, so lets see how it goes. Best before February 23rd 2014. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice winter look to it, but it isn't too eye catching. It poured a fairly clear pale yellow color that took on more of a golden color when held to the light with twp fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice and sticky rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice mix of earthy, light floral, spicy and fruity hop aromas with the fruity hop aroma sticking out the most imparting a nice citrus and tropical fruit like aroma. Up next comes a citrus rind aroma followed by some grainy, bready and wheat like malt aromas. This beer has a pretty good aroma, I have no complaints.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of hops that impart those same hop aspects that I got in the aroma with the fruity hops still sticking out slightly more then the spicy hops and imparting a nice mix of fruit flavors with a little bit of tangerine seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a citrus rind flavor followed by some lightly bready, grainy, and light wheat like malt flavors. On the finish there's a lower amount of high bitterness with a fruity, grainy, and citrus rind like aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting beer, but it's more IPA tasting than White Ale and could have been balanced a little better.

M Fairly smooth, clean, crisp, slightly oily, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer has a pretty nice mouthfeel, it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a nice example of an IPA, as a Wheat Ale it's not that great and as hybrid of both which is what the brewer intended, it's just ok, the two style aren't as balanced as they could be and it comes off pretty IPA like and not that recognizable as a White Ale. This beer had good drinkability, it was fairly smooth, crisp, clean, not filling, and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these without getting bored or tired of it. What I like the most about this beer is the aroma and appearance, I thought they were both pretty good and worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the the White Ale aspect wasn't more apparent, if it was more noticeable I think it would balance out some of hops and make it more of truer hybrid of an IPA and a White Ale. I would buy this beer again, I already got a 12 pack so I don't know if i'll buy anymore this season but I wouldn't rule it out and if they choose to release it again next year I;m sure I will buy at least a six pack. I recommend this anybody who likes hoppy beers. All in all I was happy with this beer, I wasn't flawless, but it still had enough aspects that made this a good beer. Good job New Belgium, keep up the good work. (3,412 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz.

A: Pours a clear straw gold with a moderate white head.

S: Mosaic dominates in the nose, bring sticky mango and pineapple, a bit of piney, leafy bitterness, slightly uric.

T: Taste is relatively dry, with notes of bitter grapefruit, lightly sweet orange peel, a hint of vanilla and malted wheat, mint leaf.

M: Light-bodied with a little bit of heft from the wheat and moderate carbonation.

O: A pleasant wheat IPA that brings across that unique Mosaic character nicely. Nothing to go crazy about but solid. (517 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a hazed glowing yellow/gold with a finger of bright white dense head. Good retention, great lacing in my Weyerbacher Tulip!

S - Light pear and lemon aromas, almost grainy, and light spice. Pretty faint.

T - Decent bitterness doesnt linger long as pear/lemon/light citrus notes come forward, minimal spiced qualities until the aftertaste where spice and resinous hops linger for more than a few seconds

M - Light bodied, good carbonation, very refreshing.

O - Decent white IPA, especially at this pricepoint (520 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Single 12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic. A hazy pale lemon yellow with a thin layer of foamy white bubbles on top and leaving concentric rings of lace on the sides of the glass. Bright and fresh aroma of lemon and pineapple, grass, something else faintly tropical or gummy candy-like, coriander seed, a ghost of pine needles. Palate is refreshing, citric, subtly sweet ... I get more of a session IPA vibe than the expected witbier base, at least initially, although there is a solid undercurrent of Belgian seed spice and dry phenols. Grapefruit, lime, and some mango complement the lemon on the nose. The combination of Belgian yeast and citrus hops recalls ginger root, in a way. Body on the low end of medium with moderate carbonation. Finishes rather dry, with lingering citrus rind, clove, and coriander notes. I stand by my earlier "session" assessment, flavorsome yet light and drinkable. Good balance between American hop and Belgian flavors, with the former front and center and the latter playing a competent supporting role. (1,037 characters)

Accumulation from New Belgium Brewing