Accumulation - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Belgian IPA |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: ChrisCBeets on 09-23-2013

This winter, IBUs start accumulating like snow in Colorado with our new Accumulation White IPA. Brewing a white IPA was not only a way to salute the white beauty falling from the sky, but a direct revolt to the longstanding tradition of brewing dark beers for winter. At least that’s what our rebellious brewer Grady Hull likes to claim as he shovels in plenty of new hop varietals and a bit of wheat for a smooth mouthfeel. Stack up a few cases of Accumulation White IPA to keep your long nights glowing blizzard white.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Accumulation Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,550 | Reviews: 244
1.25/5  rDev -66.2%

Tastes like you are gnawing on the needles of a pine tree.

Though it pours well and has acceptional colour, one cannot come to the determination that since pumpkin-based beer is good for Halloween, then tree-based beer must be good for Christmas.

The initial taset (if you can ignore the smell) is actually quite curious and demands a second taste to try and figure it out - but you soon regret it. The after taste lingers and makes it all that much worse.

I know it is not particurally professional to "slam" a beer - but potential victims and the brewers must know that, thouth other beers from New Belgium are fantastic, they completely missed the mark on this one.

1.5/5  rDev -59.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not really what I was expecting. The flavor was pretty bland and poor. Straw yellow color.

1.85/5  rDev -50%

Sampled back on 11/23/13. Chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler. Poured into a brandy snifter.

Pours a pale yellow with a 2-finger foamy white head. Left lots of lacing when sipped. Above average carbonation. The aroma is of some grassy grains with some citrus with not much of spice. The taste was OK at first was was VERY bitter with a harsh after taste. After a few more sips, the bitterness lingered and got worse. This is WHY I don't like I.P.A. types of beer and actually bought this by mistake. Couldn't drink it and poured it out after a few more sips! First time in a long time time I poured a brew out.

2.06/5  rDev -44.3%

Poured a bottle bought 2014-12--07. Very pretty straw color though none of the touted unfiltered cloudiness. Smell: absent (and I don't have a cold). Taste: about as much character as your typical mall store chain. Seriously. Every single time I go back to New Belgium cuz I want to give a good bicycle- and environment-advocating company some shouts, I am always so disappointed and angry that I wasted cash and calories. Where is the wheat? I can barely taste it but it takes closing my eyes and searching for the wheat. Bitterness is present, but has no character (not grassy, not floral, not esterly, so ... just, bitter?). The carbonation is good and fizzy; the body is solid and not thin. But that just doesn't warrant the drinking.

2.24/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Outlier detected. Please enter a review.

2.35/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Decent brew, however I expect better from New Belgium. I can respect them for thinking out of the box in terms of an IPA. Regardless I just found the taste rather strange.

2.37/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Remember Christmas 1992? Right after Sonic 2 had come out and Mom said she just didn't think Santa was going to be able to bring you a Sega Genesis? Accumulation is kinda like that, everything awful about the holidays, all wrapped up in a neat little package.

2.38/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

I had this in a borrowed chalice.
The appearance was a pale yellow. A quarter finger white foamy head quickly dissipated leaving a light stringy lacing.
The smell had a pine to grapegruit to lemon with a light soapiness to it, mainly sweet.
The taste took those previously mentioned flavors and then added a light peanut butter (uh...okay, is that intentional?), weird, but ok I'll continue on. The aftertaste was a litttle piney and had the peanut butter again.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a standard sessionability about it. The carbonation was good.
Overall, unsure about this one, I didn't expect the peanut butter and am unsure if that was intentional, the soapy smell wasn't that appealing. I'm not thinking about coming back to this one. Wish I could find a date on this beer, but I know its this season's batch.

2.45/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle straight into a wide-bodied goblet. Pale straw (2) with a two-finger, fluffy white head with a lot of staying power and significant lacing. Nose is very light with big hints of pineapple, funky yeast, and light sweet malt. Taste is very bready, which seems to be a tendency with several New Belgium brews, and, it’s worth admitting, is not a flavor profile I enjoy all that much in my beer. Also present are light grassy hints, very mild lemon citrus, light toasted cereal grains, generic sweetness, and french fries. The hop presence is there in terms of light bittering, but not in any larger sense of flavor. Finish is mildly bitter, toasted wheat, and subtle sweet citrus. Mouthfeel is light and somewhat slick with low carbonation. All in all, this just doesn't do much for me, which is about par for the course in terms of how I feel about New Belgium products in general. As a white IPA, I was also expecting a bit more in terms of both a fuller hop presence and some Belgian yeast notes, such as coriander, neither of which is present. As it stands, this reminds me of a clumsy wheat beer and not something I’ll be drinking again anytime soon.

2.52/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: I poured Accumulation from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, and it is a hazy golden color. Not to put you off, but it did remind me strongly of the color of urine. There is a nice, white, fluffy head that has good retention and leaves strong lacing in the glass.

S: Accumulation has a very weak odor. I get some roasted malt, but I really had to put my nose into the beer.

T: Equals the smell, which is to say, weak. I get a very sour flavor (and, no, the beer isn't skunked) with a dry finish. Not a whole lot going on here.

M: Again, not very pleasant. I found myself craving a glass of water after every sip. I usually love drier beers (stouts and IPAs), but this has an unpleasant dryness to it that lingers.

O: Definitely not my favorite beer from New Belgium (that would still be Fat Tire). I can't say I recommend this seasonal brew. Drink Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale instead.

2.58/5  rDev -30.3%

I don't remember being impressed

2.65/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a goblet.

A: Clear, pale golden color with less than one finger of diminishing white foam. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Hops qualities are prominently featured, but not overpowering. Citrus qualities are bright while savory features also develop in the form of onion/garlic notes. Subtle bread requires some straining to detect.

T: Begins almost dry, with pungent green herbaceous hops aromatics and clumsy malt that is doughy and like corn starch. Flavors become thin and seltzery into the middle, like a soft drink cut with water. Bitterness is pure and chemical in the finish, clinging stubbornly to the palate and clearly outdistancing other flavor qualities.

M: Thin viscosity, slightly resinous and acidic on the palate, with brisk carbonation.

D/O: This seasonal offering from New Belgium seems like a rush job, struggling to find any of the Mosaic hops cultivar's wonderful qualities. Amarillo is well-represented, but cannot right the ship all on its own--not in the face of such a fumbled development of malt qualities.

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

A bit too fruity tasting for my liking. Grapefruity, bitter finish. Rather have a Bud than this.

2.85/5  rDev -23%

A pale yellow, maybe pineapple juice color. Slight haze. Minimal white head. I was expecting maybe something akin to a wit in color, and although it's not real far off, it's not exactly what I was expecting.

Smell is pine and lemon and maybe a touch of Cheez-itz. Some spic e as well, but I can't quite put my finger on it - maybe a bit of clove? Overall, a nice smelling Christmas IPA.

Very carbonated and light bodied.

Taste is fairly subdued. It's somewhat fruity and piney and not much else. Not really digging it. It's not real bitter, but it has some bitterness. Not picking the spice in the taste. Kind of blah.

2.86/5  rDev -22.7%

Easy drinking but not that flavorful. Hop presence on the nose though. Enjoyed smelling it more.

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%

It's ok, I would not get it again

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Pretty ok IPA from new Belgium. Not much mouthfeel or smell but a distinct hoppy fruity balance. Very drinkable. One that I could have afew in the night and not get sick of. Needs a bit more hops but a good beer for non IPA drinkers to enjoy. It's drinkability makes it appeal to me for sure

2.92/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours a very light beer tone, faint yellow, a tad shallow, you can see the carbonation rise, with about a 1 1/2 finger head that disappears fairly quickly.

S - At first I could smell the carbonation, reminded me of a mineral water. A very mild orange, grapefruit, mildly hopped. Not much malt, no bread; however, the sweet undertones do make up in this aspect.

T - Taste is very bland, subtle, no complexity from the hops. Subtly sweet and a mild dryness towards the end.

M - Very light bodied, carbonation exhausts the palate from tasting.

O - I will not be having this again. Purchased a 6 pack of this for $10, kinda upset I'm stuck with 5 more bottles... definitely not worth the price. The smell is subtly awesome; however, drinking this was reminiscent of drinking a bud light. No taste and carbonation that drowns the palate. The only thing I liked was the smell and finish. Other than that, this was extremely disappointing.

Why mess with a good thing? Snow Day was a great beer and im disappointed you replaced it with Accumulation. Accumulation is a good beer also but no were near as good as Snow Day. Its a Disappointment it is not returning as I was looking forward to it in 2013. Bring it back please

Poured golden straw yellow with a nice creamy head. It was a lot lighter than I expected. Nose was faint hops with some very slight cereal notes, lackluster nose. The taste is well balance and the alcohol is hidden, this beer is quite a bit lighter than I expected. I give it a C.

3.05/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a clear, pale yellow color with a tight, white head that leaves chunks of lacing.

Smells of grassy hops and a bit of pale malt.

Tastes of the pale malts with a bit of hops on top. Pale malts come through with bread and a bit of grainy sweetness. This is then cut by some fruity hops with tropical notes and some grassy notes as well. Slight bit of citrus to it.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, this has me scratching my head. I think the individual flavors are nice, but the combination presented doesn't do it for me.

3.05/5  rDev -17.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very light straw color, and disappointingly, isn't that hazy for a white beer. There's two fingers worth of white-colored head. While it's not the most dense affair, it retains well and leaves good lacing behind.

S: Hrm, there's something off about the aroma. Basically, it smells like deviled ham. Sure, I pick up some lemon and citrus notes (and it tries like hell to give off a fruity scent, too), but if you blindfolded me, I'd swear this involved a devil and the word "Underwood" on the paper covering the can.

T: This works a lot better. The Underwood deviled ham goes away, and is replaced by...well, lemon and citrus notes. Malts are pretty much imperceptible except for some finishing sweetness. All in all, it definitely brings the lemon flavors, and even tries to bring a bit of layered depth (not a lot, though.)

M: Really light in body, which is good. I do miss the crispness I would have gotten from an unfiltered white IPA, though. As a result, there's a bit too much lingering sweetness for me.

O: I'm pretty sure my experience with the nose was an anomaly, but still, I can't really get over the crap aroma. Everything else is pretty solid, though. I'd reckon it is worth trying.

3.1/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is a good beer but it has a few problems that keep it from being great.

Accumulation is a white IPA that pours a flat straw color with white head. The head laces and retains well. The aroma is up front and hoppy! Floral and bitter. Not much of the wheat malt coming through or the yeast. This is the problem with the beer imo. The taste, which follows the nose, is entirely hop based. Now that isn't a bad thing but it leads to an unbalanced beer that is only fun to drink if you want a hop only beer experience. I'd like a more balanced beer with this same hop profile. Something with a more biscuit and caramel flavor. As is the wheat based malt bill and yeast are just too shallow with the overpowering hops this brew has.

Check it out if you're a hop head but this isn't worth a six pack purchase imo. Just another IPA on the market. le sigh.

3.13/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

New Belgium Accumulation has a thick, white head, with soapy bubbles at top, a semi-clear, yellow appearance, lots of bubble streams, and some lacing left behind on the class. The aroma is of citrus, hop oil, a little pine, and biscuit. Taste is of very bitter, lemony and grapefruit hops, sugar, and white bread. Mouthfeel is light and slick, and New Belgium Accumulation finishes dry and decently drinkable. Overall, this is good, and I think it’s worth checking out.

RJT

3.13/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a hand glass.

A: Hay coloration. Pours a 1 finger, bubbly, white head. Continuous rising carbonation. Dissipates slowly, but not completely. Decent beer ring lacing, mostly retreats back into the body of the brew.

S: Hay, yeast, clove, and oregano.

T: Yeast, lemon pith, and construction paper.

M: Light and crisp. Really steely finish that lingers with you throughout.

D: Session.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Pretty nice persistent head, and some fair lacing. Nose is yeasty with some savory spice. Yeast and citrus, with something of a paper or cardboard characteristic and a really steely finish. Overall, this is a pretty good quaff.

Accumulation from New Belgium Brewing