Accumulation - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Belgian IPA |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: ChrisCBeets on 09-23-2013

This winter, IBUs start accumulating like snow in Colorado with our new Accumulation White IPA. Brewing a white IPA was not only a way to salute the white beauty falling from the sky, but a direct revolt to the longstanding tradition of brewing dark beers for winter. At least that’s what our rebellious brewer Grady Hull likes to claim as he shovels in plenty of new hop varietals and a bit of wheat for a smooth mouthfeel. Stack up a few cases of Accumulation White IPA to keep your long nights glowing blizzard white.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Accumulation Alström Bros
Reviews: 224 | Hads: 1,648
3.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a DFH IPA glass.

Appearance - 4/5
A bright golden orange, with about half a finger of head. Lots of small particles can be seen in the beer, along with a large amount of rising carbonation.

Smell - 3.5/5
A nice light pine aroma, along with hints of citrus and some light malts.

Taste - 3.75/5
A strong citrus taste, grapefruit perhaps, with some slight pine and spruce flavors mixed in. The taste was a lot more citrusy and a lot less piney than I was expecting. But I am glad for that, as I am not a huge "hop head" and I like the strong citrus to balance out the pine. Very fresh tasting overall.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
More creamy than crisp. Slightly bitter. Medium-light bodied. Nice level of carbonation which I though worked well witht the rest of the beer.

Overall - 3.75/5
Overall I thought this was a good IPA, something that I wouldn't mind drinking again in the future.

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

1/3....pours hazy opaque yellow with white foam. Lemon rind nose, citrus bitters. Pine bitter open balanced by a wheaty citrus base. Continue to find white IPAs an odd combination of flavors, and this is no exception.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This white IPA is a pale to medium yellow gold in color that starts with s very light haze that clears up to make it transparent and bright. The head is a thick and creamy pure white pillow that leaves a heavy ring of lace followed by patching.
The nose is surprisingly aromatic with a bright bitterness balanced by cracker. There's lots of citrus and lemongrass, maybe light earth and some herb. A bit of pine and sapling ride underneath.
The taste follows suit with a soapy taste building up some as it goes. In the front, it throws a bit of pith and something almost briny. The grossness and herb translate fully along with the dry malts.
The body is bright, light to medium with consistent crispness. It's smooth beginning to middle with a sharpness in the back.

3.48/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle. Served in a snifter 1/3/2015.

A- Light golden yellow body. Poured hard; comes up with a nice fluffy 3 finger white head with lots of splotches of lacing. Good retention time, nice longevity.

S- Sticky resin, sweet caramel, a bit of citrus. Not a ton of hoppy flavour here aside from the mineraly yeast flavours and the malt.

F- Sweet caramel, a bit of toffee, minerals, lemon, a bit of nuttiness which is very weird in a beer that looks like this; and of course a decent bit of pine. The pine is the strongest flavour here. This is certainly not a bad beer at all, certainly very different stylistically.

M- Medium bodied, substantial with a nice carbonation to it, a nice pep and smoothness to it. Very interesting mouthfeel with a nice depth of flavour, finishing off with pine and minerals.

O- Interesting Belgian IPA, nice pine finish and not as much of the Belgian yeast flavours but I'm OK with it. This is not bad, but this is not great; however it is different enough that I enjoyed it.

Final score: 3.49

4.13/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I did enjoy this one. As others have mentioned, it did have a piney smell, and absolutely a piney aftertaste. The piney-ness, I oddly enjoyed. It was as if I was drinking a liquid form of my christmas tree this year. The rest of the flavors were mixed, though I did not notice any peanut butter as someone else had mentioned. Then again, I don't catch every little nuance in smell and taste, admittedly. But it was thoroughly enjoyable and a good solid winter ale.

2.38/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

I had this in a borrowed chalice.
The appearance was a pale yellow. A quarter finger white foamy head quickly dissipated leaving a light stringy lacing.
The smell had a pine to grapegruit to lemon with a light soapiness to it, mainly sweet.
The taste took those previously mentioned flavors and then added a light peanut butter (uh...okay, is that intentional?), weird, but ok I'll continue on. The aftertaste was a litttle piney and had the peanut butter again.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a standard sessionability about it. The carbonation was good.
Overall, unsure about this one, I didn't expect the peanut butter and am unsure if that was intentional, the soapy smell wasn't that appealing. I'm not thinking about coming back to this one. Wish I could find a date on this beer, but I know its this season's batch.

3.86/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy pale yellow that makes me think of grapefruit. Nice, thin, creamy head. Very pleasant piney grapefruit fragrance. A very crisp, light hoppy taste with lemon and grapefruit hints. Finishes with a little more prominent piney hop. Actually very refreshing. This one surprised me. I could drink several of these and I would have never guessed it was 6.2 percent. I think more highly of this one as I think more about it. Not super complex.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance: Very pale yellow. Frothy white head. Leaves a decent lace.
Smell: Pungent pine. Some grapefruit.
Taste: Bitter, spritzy, pine.

Very interesting. The smell is unique in its funkiness, and the taste has a bitter pine something going on. I like it. I don't know if I'd get it again though. It's certainly good, just unique.

3.21/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Interesting beer. Extremely pale, almost watery, complexion. Decent head and lace. The smell is pungent....musty hops....tree ark, mushroom, earth, and grain. Me nteresting, but not great. The taste is dryish, but no overly so. Moderate bitterness. Just okay.

2.85/5  rDev -23.4%

A pale yellow, maybe pineapple juice color. Slight haze. Minimal white head. I was expecting maybe something akin to a wit in color, and although it's not real far off, it's not exactly what I was expecting.

Smell is pine and lemon and maybe a touch of Cheez-itz. Some spic e as well, but I can't quite put my finger on it - maybe a bit of clove? Overall, a nice smelling Christmas IPA.

Very carbonated and light bodied.

Taste is fairly subdued. It's somewhat fruity and piney and not much else. Not really digging it. It's not real bitter, but it has some bitterness. Not picking the spice in the taste. Kind of blah.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wheat dominates the aroma, followed by soft peach notes.

Flavor is slightly sweet, but finishes bitter. Extremely light and floral. Touch of fruit, but it's subtle.

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Doesnt drink like a belgian ipa to me which is a good thing. Nice light hoppy brew with no overly assertive yeast or spice. Not the greatest but for the price it would be something i could take to a holiday party where i dont want to take the best but still want something drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Accumulation of snow is not a problem here, but a white IPA? Something extraordinary, lets give it a whirl. Popping the top I get a huge citrus waft of lemon, orange and grapefruit oils with a nice sweetness in the background. Pours into my trusty SAPP to a slightly cloudy watery bright yellow with a massive white pillowy head that stands for what seems like forever, On the taste this brew has a nice citrus hop bite that is well balanced with a citrusy sweetness. The taste transitions to a more bitter middle with sweet and bitter finish that is mostly clean. Mouthfeel is light but insignificant due to overall flavor. Head holds up all the way through the brew, a nice light drinker with a good flavor kick, definitely a keeper.

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Aroma: Fresh lemon zest up front. Light piney character and a bit of stone fruit aromas all soft and understated.

Appearance: Hazy straw colored pour with a moderate tan and batter-like head. Head retention is good.

Flavor: Slight lemon flavor persists with mild peppercorn notes. Underlying cracker-like malt character. A firm earthy bitterness asserts to bring some balance to the lemon and crackery sweetness. Balance is to the earthy bitterness. Finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate-high carbonation. No alcohol heat or hop-derived astringency.

Overall impression: A bit restrained for a Belgian IPA. Needed more of "something" but not bad. Probably won't seek out again.

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

Finally, a winter beer that isn't Ultra Dark Night Coffee Bourbon Stout. And a solid IPA to boot. Medium bodied and pale yellow, big head initially then persistent lacing. Pine and citrus in the hop profile, which are my favorite hop notes. Very faint wheat. Big fan and my *light* winter ale of choice (the "dark" one going to Sierra Nevadas Celebration).

2.06/5  rDev -44.6%

Poured a bottle bought 2014-12--07. Very pretty straw color though none of the touted unfiltered cloudiness. Smell: absent (and I don't have a cold). Taste: about as much character as your typical mall store chain. Seriously. Every single time I go back to New Belgium cuz I want to give a good bicycle- and environment-advocating company some shouts, I am always so disappointed and angry that I wasted cash and calories. Where is the wheat? I can barely taste it but it takes closing my eyes and searching for the wheat. Bitterness is present, but has no character (not grassy, not floral, not esterly, so ... just, bitter?). The carbonation is good and fizzy; the body is solid and not thin. But that just doesn't warrant the drinking.

Accumulation India White Pale Ale – New Belgium Brewing Co. – Fort Collins, CO.

This ale pours a pale yellow and cloudy. Leaves a nice fine head and very nice lacing. The aroma is very fresh and clean. Hops and citrus abound with a prevalent grapefruit overtone. The first sip hits you with hops and then the grapefruit comes through with a smooth slightly malt finish. Very clean mouth feel and quite smooth overall. A nice Winter offering from New Belgium. 6.2% ABV

4.23/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "enjoy by" date 3-8-15.

APPEARANCE: pours a beautiful, slightly hazy, light golden color with one-finger white head that dissipated slowly until a thin layer of bubbles remained, significant lacing. If this beer was a chick she would be a "super model". Nuf' said?

SMELL: this beer has a pleasantly assertive pepper and pine resin smell, there are some citrus and floral notes as well.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet and floral then a nice pepper and piney hop blast that lingered in a most pleasant way.

PALATE: medium carbonation and body for the style.

OVERALL: this is my favorite winter seasonal beer so far, I like it better than SN Celebration. This is high praise because I really enjoyed that one as well. This beer will become a yearly tradition for me going forward. New Belgium is an excellent brewer and I'll be trying more from them in the future.

3.41/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - This beer poured a very light yellow; I wouldn't say it was cloudy, but more hazy, it retained a very thin head

S - Good mixed scents with a hint of citrus

T - This beer was very typical to me for IPAs with a strong bitter aftertaste

F - Very thin in the mouth with a mild but smooth carbonation

O - Decent

Disclaimer: I'm generally not an IPA fan; I don't order them when out, but my curiosity keeps me tasting, so I try to temper my feelings when evaluating

3.87/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter from a twelve ounce bottle.

Cloudy straw colored body and a pale white, creamy head a finger thick. Good lacing. 4.25

Smells of Belgian yeast and sweet citrus. 4

Sweet malt, citrusy and floral with a touch of peppery yeast. Dank finish. Not bad at all. 3.75

Smooth and creamy with a bitter dry finish. I like. 4

good beer, I'm surprised by the overall rating. Should be higher, I'd say.

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

Presentation: Tulip Glass

Appearance: A light golden color w. a haziness.

Smell: A great floral, hoppy, fruity, citrus, wheaty wonderful aroma.

Taste: It has a powerfully floral taste with a bite of hop. A wheat undertone makes the beer taste more rounded.

One of my favorite beers I wish i could get all year-round. Has a delightfully balanced floral/hop taste that makes for a great "have to try beer".

Initial flavor and aroma is IPA, but the white beer element gradually sinks in after a few more sips. Plenty of citrusy hops--mostly lemon and lime--in the aftertaste, but there's a good malt body as well. The coriander and wheat is really nicely integrated with the hops.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a tulip
A: Hazy pale yellow with a one-finger head
S: Generic citrus/tropical fruit/yeast/wheat
T: Citrus/spice/yeast, a hint of grass & tropical fruit
M: Light to medium-bodied with a bit of spice
O: No flaws but nothing outstanding. Glad I tried it but not at the top of the re-buy list

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

A: poured into a tulip to a cloudy pale yellow with a half finger of dense white head that fades to a collar around the glass and leaves decent lacing
S: smells of citrus, yeastyness and some slight fruity esters
T: taste is citrusy hops, fruity esters, spicy yeast, and cracker malt. swallow is juicy citrusy hops with some lingering spice and fruitiness.
M: fairly light on the palate but not watery with slightly prickly carbonation and a refreshing finish
O: A good beer with a decent hop profile and some nice yeast driven aspects. solid complexity and good flavors.

Accumulation brewed by New Belgium Brewing, with an ABV of 6.20% This brew pours out a nice cloudy amber color with a nice white head. Accumulation is a unfiltered brew. This brew is cloudy you can not see thought it. The smell is citrus, with some grains and malts. There is nothing bad so far. Now for the taste, it is rich with citrus and hops. You pick upon some grains at the end of this brew. New Belgium Brewing did a nice job with this one. Accumulation has a nice balance to it there is nothing overpowering in this brew. The mouthfeel is bold and clean. At first it is citrus with some bitterness ,then it is smooth. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again. Thank You New Belgium Brewing.

Accumulation from New Belgium Brewing