Accumulation - New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States

Belgian IPA |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: ChrisCBeets on 09-23-2013

This winter, IBUs start accumulating like snow in Colorado with our new Accumulation White IPA. Brewing a white IPA was not only a way to salute the white beauty falling from the sky, but a direct revolt to the longstanding tradition of brewing dark beers for winter. At least that’s what our rebellious brewer Grady Hull likes to claim as he shovels in plenty of new hop varietals and a bit of wheat for a smooth mouthfeel. Stack up a few cases of Accumulation White IPA to keep your long nights glowing blizzard white.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Accumulation Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,550 | Reviews: 244
3.68/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a DFH IPA glass.

Appearance - 4/5
A bright golden orange, with about half a finger of head. Lots of small particles can be seen in the beer, along with a large amount of rising carbonation.

Smell - 3.5/5
A nice light pine aroma, along with hints of citrus and some light malts.

Taste - 3.75/5
A strong citrus taste, grapefruit perhaps, with some slight pine and spruce flavors mixed in. The taste was a lot more citrusy and a lot less piney than I was expecting. But I am glad for that, as I am not a huge "hop head" and I like the strong citrus to balance out the pine. Very fresh tasting overall.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
More creamy than crisp. Slightly bitter. Medium-light bodied. Nice level of carbonation which I though worked well witht the rest of the beer.

Overall - 3.75/5
Overall I thought this was a good IPA, something that I wouldn't mind drinking again in the future.

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

1/3....pours hazy opaque yellow with white foam. Lemon rind nose, citrus bitters. Pine bitter open balanced by a wheaty citrus base. Continue to find white IPAs an odd combination of flavors, and this is no exception.

2.9/5  rDev -21.6%

It's ok, I would not get it again

4.6/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

It was delicious and smooth

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This white IPA is a pale to medium yellow gold in color that starts with s very light haze that clears up to make it transparent and bright. The head is a thick and creamy pure white pillow that leaves a heavy ring of lace followed by patching.
The nose is surprisingly aromatic with a bright bitterness balanced by cracker. There's lots of citrus and lemongrass, maybe light earth and some herb. A bit of pine and sapling ride underneath.
The taste follows suit with a soapy taste building up some as it goes. In the front, it throws a bit of pith and something almost briny. The grossness and herb translate fully along with the dry malts.
The body is bright, light to medium with consistent crispness. It's smooth beginning to middle with a sharpness in the back.

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle. Served in a snifter 1/3/2015.

A- Light golden yellow body. Poured hard; comes up with a nice fluffy 3 finger white head with lots of splotches of lacing. Good retention time, nice longevity.

S- Sticky resin, sweet caramel, a bit of citrus. Not a ton of hoppy flavour here aside from the mineraly yeast flavours and the malt.

F- Sweet caramel, a bit of toffee, minerals, lemon, a bit of nuttiness which is very weird in a beer that looks like this; and of course a decent bit of pine. The pine is the strongest flavour here. This is certainly not a bad beer at all, certainly very different stylistically.

M- Medium bodied, substantial with a nice carbonation to it, a nice pep and smoothness to it. Very interesting mouthfeel with a nice depth of flavour, finishing off with pine and minerals.

O- Interesting Belgian IPA, nice pine finish and not as much of the Belgian yeast flavours but I'm OK with it. This is not bad, but this is not great; however it is different enough that I enjoyed it.

Final score: 3.49

4.13/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I did enjoy this one. As others have mentioned, it did have a piney smell, and absolutely a piney aftertaste. The piney-ness, I oddly enjoyed. It was as if I was drinking a liquid form of my christmas tree this year. The rest of the flavors were mixed, though I did not notice any peanut butter as someone else had mentioned. Then again, I don't catch every little nuance in smell and taste, admittedly. But it was thoroughly enjoyable and a good solid winter ale.

2.38/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

I had this in a borrowed chalice.
The appearance was a pale yellow. A quarter finger white foamy head quickly dissipated leaving a light stringy lacing.
The smell had a pine to grapegruit to lemon with a light soapiness to it, mainly sweet.
The taste took those previously mentioned flavors and then added a light peanut butter (uh...okay, is that intentional?), weird, but ok I'll continue on. The aftertaste was a litttle piney and had the peanut butter again.
The mouthfeel was about a light to medium on the body with a standard sessionability about it. The carbonation was good.
Overall, unsure about this one, I didn't expect the peanut butter and am unsure if that was intentional, the soapy smell wasn't that appealing. I'm not thinking about coming back to this one. Wish I could find a date on this beer, but I know its this season's batch.

3.86/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy pale yellow that makes me think of grapefruit. Nice, thin, creamy head. Very pleasant piney grapefruit fragrance. A very crisp, light hoppy taste with lemon and grapefruit hints. Finishes with a little more prominent piney hop. Actually very refreshing. This one surprised me. I could drink several of these and I would have never guessed it was 6.2 percent. I think more highly of this one as I think more about it. Not super complex.

Not too bad for a mass produced, seasonal IPA.

4.81/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very good with a holiday dinner!

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Very pale yellow. Frothy white head. Leaves a decent lace.
Smell: Pungent pine. Some grapefruit.
Taste: Bitter, spritzy, pine.

Very interesting. The smell is unique in its funkiness, and the taste has a bitter pine something going on. I like it. I don't know if I'd get it again though. It's certainly good, just unique.

3.21/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Interesting beer. Extremely pale, almost watery, complexion. Decent head and lace. The smell is pungent....musty hops....tree ark, mushroom, earth, and grain. Me nteresting, but not great. The taste is dryish, but no overly so. Moderate bitterness. Just okay.

2.58/5  rDev -30.3%

I don't remember being impressed

2.85/5  rDev -23%

A pale yellow, maybe pineapple juice color. Slight haze. Minimal white head. I was expecting maybe something akin to a wit in color, and although it's not real far off, it's not exactly what I was expecting.

Smell is pine and lemon and maybe a touch of Cheez-itz. Some spic e as well, but I can't quite put my finger on it - maybe a bit of clove? Overall, a nice smelling Christmas IPA.

Very carbonated and light bodied.

Taste is fairly subdued. It's somewhat fruity and piney and not much else. Not really digging it. It's not real bitter, but it has some bitterness. Not picking the spice in the taste. Kind of blah.

4.24/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I am a New Belgium fan boy but this is darn good.

2.24/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

1.5/5  rDev -59.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not really what I was expecting. The flavor was pretty bland and poor. Straw yellow color.

3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Over all a decent beer. Kinda felt like I was drinking a light beer rather than a IPA

Discovered my new favorite IPA.

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wheat aroma with soft peach notes.

Flavor is slightly sweet, but finishes bitter. Extremely light and floral. Touch of fruit, but it's subtle.

3.99/5  rDev +7.8%

A very solid beer for $9 a six pack. Nice hop profile and an easy light drink.

4.26/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

3.43/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Doesnt drink like a belgian ipa to me which is a good thing. Nice light hoppy brew with no overly assertive yeast or spice. Not the greatest but for the price it would be something i could take to a holiday party where i dont want to take the best but still want something drinkable.

Accumulation from New Belgium Brewing