Comet Tail Pale Ale - Blue Hills Brewery

Comet Tail Pale AleComet Tail Pale Ale

Blue Hills Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: morebeergood on 03-03-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by GoBIG:

4.33/5  rDev +26.2%

It honestly is a real treat every time I get to drink a beer from the Blue Hills Brewery. I have taken a few tours and have hiked the Blue hills many times and is a pleasant experience whenever I get the opportunity to visit the area. As far as I know this is a new beer by the Blue Hills, so lets dig in.

A: This beer pours a hazy, golden, lager color with a solid 1-in soapy white head that is slow to dissipate, so hard to tell any lacing at this point.

S: I get some sweet malts and earthy notes up front that consists of a slight hint of passion fruit and clove with some spice at the end.

T: Taste up front is a strong, sweet herbal flavor like a basil or parsley flavor. Through the middle I get some spice, a little malt, and some citrus hops. The finish is of dry yeast and gives off a bready aftertaste.

M: Very earthy with an enigmatic variety of flavors, full bodied but not much carbonation to speak of. Very drinkable for me.

O: A very good pale ale, not too dry and very full with its flavors. I only got a 12oz bottle, but I would definitely love a bomber of this. Prices for these beers are more expensive in stores, but if you get a chance to visit the brewery, you can get a 220z for $3.00. Never had a bad beer by this brewery which is very underrated. Once again, another solid brew from the Blue Hills!

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

4.03/5  rDev +17.5%

Bomber that my wonderful wife brought me home from the brewery.

Pours orange with a good clarity. Big head that dissipates slightly faster than average. Moderate lacing.

Light malts are very prevalent in the smell. Not picking up much beyond that, but I like it.

Initial taste matches the smell... aggressive light malt flavor. Caramel in the midtaste and the hops show up at the end. Not overpowering in any sense and goes down very easy.

Really like the smooth, slightly creamy mouthfeel.

I really like this beer. The assertive malt character is different from a lot of APAs. A pleasant surprise for a guy who likes malty Oktoberfests and such. Very nice addition from a favorite local brewer.

3.2/5  rDev -6.7%

I purchased this in a 22 oz. bomber at my local package store in Dorchester. I poured it into a pint glass.

Appearance is a golden brown to orange color with no head to speak of. It is rather opaque and appears to be unfiltered. This is not the nicest looking pale ale.

Fragrance is mostly of the dirty malts, with a hint of coconut fruitiness sneaking through that is actually quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel is smooth with carbonation at a minimum.

Tastes very malt forward with hints of caramel and dirt. The hops are sneaking just slightly at the finish along with the coconut again. The fruitiness of the esters along with the hops at finish is very pleasant even if I would have preferred a bit more hop flavor.

This is my first BA review and without thinking too hard about this beer I might have dismissed it as being not hoppy enough. Thinking more I enjoyed the simplicity of the malt and the slight sweetness along with the muted hop finish. It's not perfect, but I enjoyed it.

2.25/5  rDev -34.4%