Uerige Sticke - Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Uerige StickeUerige Sticke

Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  6.50% ABV

Uerige Sticke gibt es zwei Mal im Jahr im Ausschank - am jeweils dritten Dienstag im Januar und Oktober. Dieses Bier wird mit mehr Malz und Hopfen gebraut und ist deutlich gehaltvoller als Uerige Alt: Hinter dem intensiven, eleganten Aroma verbergen sich 6% Alkohol.

Der ungewöhnliche Name leitet sich davon ab, dass man in früheren Zeiten "stickum" ("hinter vorgehaltener Hand") weiter erzählte, dass der Braumeister wohl etwas zu großzügig beim Abwiegen der Zutaten war.

Der höhere Alkoholgehalt gestattet Lagerzeiten, die beträchtlich über das von uns garantierte Mindestfrischedatum hinausgehen.

(Beer added by: yen157 on 02-27-2004)

Having consumed a large amount of Hannen and Diebels I was excited to try this artisan Dusseldorfer Alt. Ohmygod. This is great.

Bronze and drip coffee-brown there is a silky curve to the line of fine fizz that slowly accretes to the surface. The nose is spectacular - reminiscent of Tadcaster products like Nut Brown Ale and Imperial Stout, there is a subtle trace of vanilla and blue fruits buried beneath the impressive load of roasted, crushed walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts. Also noted are aromas of ethereal Palo Cortado barrels and dates.

This is a chiseled dry beer in spite of the evidence of serious malt content. On the palate it stings lightly with Champagne fizz then weighs down the midpalate with velvety textured, earthy tannins before finishing on a hard, clean, peppery note of raw iron.

Perfect to drink while listening to Coltrane, John or Alice.

putnam, Mar 10, 2004

kurt65, Apr 10, 2013

IsaacHarris, Dec 07, 2011

Rochefort10nh, Dec 01, 2011
4.98/5  rDev +20.9%

appearance; about 1cm of an off white head, a bit sticky, leaving beautiful rings. Body is a slightly dusty cherry brown.

smell; dusty malts, a bit of sweetness and husk powder balance. Sour mash oders blend nicely with lemony hops. Well balanced and appetizing. Some roasted caramelized characters come out as well. Alcohol soaked cherries come to mind.

taste; just like the original, not much alcohol is perceived, well hidden but it's their. Sharp bitter rind hops in the aftertaste are easily tamed and mellowed out by a maltyness that is almost sweet but grainy enough to be far from moderately cloying. Slightest bit of dark chocolate in the aftertaste.

mouthfeel; a very crisp and refreshing and at the same time, dry beer. Classicly medium bodied with a light, wet finish. Some slight puckering in the aftertaste.

overall; a higher alchol version of the original, all in all, one of the best!

Sachsenfreude, Jun 18, 2012
4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a dark amber color with slightly hazel-colored foam and a little haziness.

Wow, the nose on this beer is complex. Immediately loads of dried fruit shines through, dried figs, apricot and raisins, but not in a cloying or overly sweet sense. It is beautifully balanced against a fairly hoppy backdrop, absolutely perfect malt, hops and complexity.

After I take my first sip, I wonder what the heck happened? I was expecting a rich and perhaps even sweet beer, coating my palate but oh no, this beer literally and figuratively blows up, it is so light, so refined and the best way I can describe it is "explosively evaporating". The malts are light and airy, leaving a long sensation of light fruits, apple, apricot and nuts with a wet-granite like mineral character on the finish.

I could go on and on about this beer, but suffice it to say that this is in the top 3 of the best beers I have ever tasted. If you can find it, drink it!

mj001jk, Nov 19, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

Shoe leather brown, with a ½ inch bubble bath texture like head. The nose is a beauty—sweet malts, molasses, notes of hops, figs and nuts. The complexity of the aroma intensifies during warming, and as the sticky patches form in the glass. One word can summarize the Sticke—sweet; sweet everything—bready malts, nuts and caramel. The body is oily slick, a nice malt-based bitterness comes to play towards the end. Medium bodied and loaded with joy—a winner, a top ten beer in my book. Savor and enjoy; this one is easy to drink!

GeoffRizzo, Nov 19, 2006
4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

From the first time I got on this site my mouth watered to get my hands on this beer. My first cousin, best friend, and fellow BA Chatter found it in Virginia Beach. All I can say is it didn't let me down. It's hard for me to say, but I tried to find something wrong with this beer because I know a perfect 5 is supposed to be impossible.

The pour was a dark copper/amber with a good amount of chill haze, this was the only thing I could find wrong with it. It has a good half inch head that quickly dissapated and left a small white ring around the beer that held on throughout the drink.

The smell heavy spice and malt with a light apple hint.

The drink started with a fast kick of malt sweetness that was followed with a clean middle. It finished with a strong hop kick that didn't linger. Even with the strong hops it finished almost watery.

This is one of the most drinkable and refreshing beers I have ever encountered. Michael Jackson said in his Pocket Guide to Beer, "...it's the most assertive, complex and characterful of the Alts." I have to agree with him, I will have to go a quest to get more bottles, much less make it to Germany to have it on tap.

coasterfreak75, Apr 12, 2004
4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

Unique bottle, longneck style w/ fliptop. Pinkish hue around the edges of an otherwise light copper color, Carbonation clings to the sides of the glass. White oily head that retains ring style lacing.

This beer has subtle flavors that have tons of depth, very intriquite. Light and fruity, aromatic and sweet, but not for long as the hops dry this baby up quick like, finishing dry and lingering. Beautifully done and a perfect mix. I haven't had a ton of Alt's but this goes right to the head of the class. It's almost bubble gum candied up front, mellow and smooth towards the middle and then whammm a big dry zap of citrusy hops smacks me around and lingers reminding me I need to buy this by the case. For how good this is and how far it travels its reasonably priced as well.

Notes: When you see this grab a bunch. Usually around $4-5 a bottle....If I lived in Germany this would most definately be in my stable at all times in high quanity, outstanding.

DogFood11, Mar 02, 2006
4.93/5  rDev +19.7%

Have you ever had a beer that made you break down and cry? Well, I haven't either, but this one pushed me almost to that limit.
I guess somewhere between my last DIPA and barleywine I forgot it was supposed to be about BEER, not pushing my tastebuds to the extreme of their tolerance.
This beer has EVERYTHING. It could satisfy the most stringent beer-snob, yet be readily enjoyed by the BMC crowd. It opens up with a delightfully hoppy smell. Not crazy insane hoppy, but just enough there to blend with the malt and roasted smells and produce an experience that was truly singular.
Then you put your lips to it . . . and what a sweet moment that is. The taste matches the smell perfectly, only the roles are now reverse. The malt and roast dance around your tongue while the hops provide sublime accompanyment.
The body is thick and full . . . the only thing lack in this beer is carbonation, but it doesn't need the extra help.

And then the moment is over. The aftertaste is quite clean, with just a faint remembrance of what a wonderful experience it was. Just try not to quaff it down too fast. What a beer, what a beer!

shbobdb, Jan 25, 2006
4.93/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured half of the 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Reissdorf Kolsch stange. Served at 50F. Bottled on Nov. 25. Ceramic/rubber topped long-necked bottle is a unique shape with braille letters near the bottom and raised letters and logo in the surface.

Created very little head on the first pour which faded quickly. Golden honey clear brown body. Second more vigorous pour created three fingers of frothy off-white head.

Smell was of sweet malts. Syrup. Earthy. Leafy hops. Biscuits with honey. Yum.

Tasted, not surprisingly of malts. Caramel. Slightly metallic/mineral. Malts are the star here but they allow the clean hops to shine as well. A nice duet. Complex and rich.

Mouthfeel was full-bodied and smooth. Mildly carbonated. A very nice, rewarding, highly drinkable alt.

Cresant, Sep 26, 2006
4.93/5  rDev +19.7%

What an aroma! Assorted soft, gourmet nuts. Emerged straight from the bottle and "with authority" as the swing-top popped open. Ground vanilla bean. Cinnamon covered pecans. Woody. Liquor. Good.

Smooth, balanced flavors. Malty sweet, of course. But the hops in this brew are one-of-a-kind. Flower petal bitterness that's simultaneously spicy, leafy, dry, sharp, and lingering. And just slightly citric. A remarkable achievement, really. I've never gathered so much simply from the finish of a beer. This is quite a great brew.

marburg, Mar 14, 2004
4.91/5  rDev +19.2%

Probably my all time favorite alt, Uerige Sticke has just a little more complexity than the other (nearly equally fine) examples from Uerige.

Wobbly, Oct 25, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

No detail of this bier was left to chance. From the beutiful bottle to the product inside. An extremely fine hand crafted brew.

The color is an amazing fluid dark copper that reminds one of the proverbial "nectar". The aromas are of well ballanced hops on a complex malt base.

The taste is what gets you. Incredibly complex for this style. "More hops and more malt" proclaims the brewer and with excellent results. Caramel, earthy sweet at its base, finishing beutifully with hops.

The bier is not highly carbonated but far from flat. It glides down very smooth and I find myself enjoying the aftertatse near as much as the bier.

Sometimes the complexity of a bier escapes you and ther is only one thing you can say. "This is damn fine stuff"

John

BierManVA, Mar 14, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured from into a 12 oz straight sided glass from a very unique shaped bottle. Just getting this beer was a coup so I saved it for review 100.
Pours a dark copper with an nice inch tall white head. Smell is of caramel overtones with Jammy fruits and German hops probably Hallertau..Taste is of dark raisiny bread, caramel, at first then an amazing hop twist that dries it out. Somehow finishes sweet and dry. Light carbonation makes the mouthfeel smoother than chinese silk.. Damn this is good. Drinkability is off the charts . I would have no problem having these all night. Why oh why is it limited.. This is one of the tip top beers . A classic. I got in a case where i work and Im not sure I want to share the rest or horde them for myself. Thanks to Mike from Specialty Bev for snagging me the last case. Damn im almost done with the glass..

TinusTime, Mar 14, 2004
4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Uerige has the hands down best altbier. Deep red in color. Rich malt back bone. Hops are there, nice and bitter with little hop flavor just like an alt should be. Spalt hop flavor is mild. Great all around beer, good complex malt notes with balanced bitterness. Top of the heap.

JollyRodger, Nov 26, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured out to a amber/bronze/copper color in the glass. I couldn't pick one color, so I am putting all three in this review. The aroma was interesting with almost a fine bourbon smell mingling with malt. The taste had notes of caramel and spices and was extremely easy and soothing to drink. The hops are there, but not overdone and blend nearly flawlessly with the malt. This is a special beer. I bet on-tap it would be even better.

proc, Mar 14, 2004
4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours out a rich copper color, pretty much the color of a penny. A nice frothy tan head appears. Smells of rich caramel and molases. Kind of a roasty aroma, but not burnt. Taste is of mellow caramel. Sweet and sugary, but not thick and syrupy at all. The herbal hops balance this one out perfectly. Wow is this incredibly smooth. I could really pound these puppies down. Cool bottle, but damn pricey. Is there a comparable alt?

bnuttz, Jul 08, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

Served from a 33cl brown bottle (funny little bugger) and served in my Gordon's Highland Scotch glass. (No proper alt glass.. sorry.. grabbed one that would concentrate aromas.

Beer pours deep brown, but with bright red highlights and no real head, but a strong CO2 nevertheless.

The aroma causes one to come to a complete stop. This malt aroma is the malt equivalent of a big ole American IPA for hops.Large caramel and toffee aromas compete with a grain, toasted nuts and a smidge of smoke.

The flavor is clean at first glance with an exuberiant caramel flavor coating the palate before a fruitiness starts the finish which grows with sharp bite of hops enhanced by a large mineral character.

drewbage, Apr 26, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

A - Hazy, dark burnt orange to brown color with a small off white head that dissipates fairly quickly. Plenty of little floaters. Leaves a bit of lacing down the glass.

S - Raisins, plums, toasted malts and a bit of a barnyard hop aroma. Smells very sweet, and not super complex, but definitely intriguing.

T - Following the nose, a very tasty, fruity blend of raisins, plums, and sweet malt. Also a slight hop bitterness, without much in the way of hop aroma or taste other than a little of that earthy, barnyard smell I was picking up. Also a little toastiness and a touch of yeast. Very well balanced in the way it's presented - simple, yet complex.

M - Fairly heavy, yet crisp. Moderate carbonation. A satisfying snack.

O - My first proper German Alt, and I was blown away. Touched on some of the same things I love about Scotch Ales. I'm sure there are plenty other great ones out there, but there aren't a whole lot available from what I could see, and the couple American versions I've had were much more like standard American Amber Ales. I'll definitely be seeking out more like this and would get this one again in a heartbeat.

gleemonger, Oct 09, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

The beer poured clear medium brown. The head was low and white and lasted to lace the glass.

The aroma was nutty with malty caramel and Munich malt aromas (though the beer does not use Munich malt). Slight hop aroma was also present.

The flavor was nutty and chocolately with a substantial bitterness balanced with a Munich malt flavor (again, no Munich in the beer). The bitterness was aggressive and well done and the maltiness was complex. Slight fruitiness wa present in the flavor.

The finish was nutty, just off dry and bitter into the aftertaste. The body was medium.

11.2 ounce bottle. Neck label says Bottled on 29.01 and Code 29 02 whatever that means.

GCBrewingCo, May 06, 2004

mentaltraveller, Nov 15, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

I love altbier. It has quicly become one of my favorite styles, even given the limited exposure I've had. This is probably the best example of the style that I've had.

The beer pours to a nicely carbonated clear golden amber color with a nice fluffy white head. Retention could be better, as could be the lacing, but it looks quite good.

The smell is quite good. Nice spread of smooth German malts with a healthy dose of noble hops. Since it is fermented with an ale yeast at lager temps, it is hardly estery. An excellent balance. I wish more brewers would attempt the style.

The taste is every bit as great, and then some. It is very easy to see why "Sticke" beer was once considered a secret. Hell, given the esoteric nature of the style, I suppose it still is kind of a secret. I'm just glad I'm on the inside, or rather that this beer is now inside of me. Very smooth malt base with a great balancing herbal, grassy bitterness. Quite floral as well. Very easy to drink.

The body is fairly thin and crisp, but the carbonation is still fairly soft on the palate. The balance really is something to behold. I could drink this all night, which I probably couldn't say for the doppelsticke, even though I quite enjoyed it as well. I will probably revisit this one fairly often, as long as it stays fresh, and I will have to try the Original as well.

neonbrown82, Feb 18, 2007

Mikeadeth, Apr 23, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

The look of the beer is Brownish/amber almost Carmel color vary hazy that gives it a thick look, frothy, creamy white head that dissipates fairly fast. I could smell that fruity goodness when my glass was put on the table, once I stuck my nose in the glass I was hit with lots of sweet malt aroma. The fragrance of this beer is pleasurable. Taste is malt right up front balanced nicely by hops. I would call this is an easy, smooth drinking beer, and would use the word mild but that would not do it justice. The mouth feel is medium with a crisp finish. Once again the hop and malt balance is almost perfect. Good lacing down the glass. I am defiantly recommending this beer to everybody if you can find it order it you won't be disappointed.

TEXTONE, Feb 08, 2009