2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Uerige Sticke - Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Uerige StickeUerige Sticke

Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  6.50% ABV

Uerige Sticke gibt es zwei Mal im Jahr im Ausschank - am jeweils dritten Dienstag im Januar und Oktober. Dieses Bier wird mit mehr Malz und Hopfen gebraut und ist deutlich gehaltvoller als Uerige Alt: Hinter dem intensiven, eleganten Aroma verbergen sich 6% Alkohol.

Der ungewöhnliche Name leitet sich davon ab, dass man in früheren Zeiten "stickum" ("hinter vorgehaltener Hand") weiter erzählte, dass der Braumeister wohl etwas zu großzügig beim Abwiegen der Zutaten war.

Der höhere Alkoholgehalt gestattet Lagerzeiten, die beträchtlich über das von uns garantierte Mindestfrischedatum hinausgehen.

(Beer added by: yen157 on 02-27-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »
Ratings: 413 | Reviews: 324 | Show All Ratings:
waughbrew

3.73/5  rDev -9.5%

Pretty clear dark amber. Nice off-white head with little retention and lacing. Smells yeasty, smoky, and resiny. Deep piney spicy hoppage is great. Dull caramel maltiness leaves something to be desired despite a good compexity. A acidic smokiness lingers long after the flavor should have disappeared which is good. Rather low carbonation, feels a bit like spreading plastic over your tongue. odd. Overall an interesting, pleasing brew.

04-07-2004 15:35:47 | More by waughbrew
ybnorml

Rhode Island

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer has a clean dark amber body with a little beige head that disappears quickly. There is a great sweet ( caramel ) malt aroma with just a hint of spicey hops. The malt sweetness starts at the tip of the tongue and gives way quickly to a rush of bitterness at the back of the throat. Which ends in a smooth finish. About half way thru the glass the alcohol warmth starts in your stomach and works it way up to your ears. Yummy.

04-06-2004 21:22:09 | More by ybnorml
CRJMellor

Arkansas

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a deep, clear copper with a minimal off-wgite head. Serious carbonation pop when the flip-top is opened.
Aroma of caramel, toffee, some nuts and tobacco and a medicinal alcohol smell with some dark fruit and subtle earthy floral hops in the background.
Flavor of caramel and burnt brown sugar, roasted malt, a hint of peat and some biscuity notes and then a earthy, hop bitter finish.
Mouthfeel is smooth to start and thickens as it coats the palate. Middle is roasted and slightly smoked and then finish is strong bittering and spicy alcohol.
Drinkability is high. Can only imagine what this german beauty is like on draught at the brewery.
Thanks to trbeer and putnam for saving me a bottle.

04-06-2004 02:08:28 | More by CRJMellor
Bighuge

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

Perfectly clear copper. Big and bubbly cream soda colored head. Lacing is good enough with it's oily and spotty residue. Nose consits of caramel malt, toffee, herbal hops and sweety taffy. The mouthfeel is so appealing. The beers disolves like cotton candy in the mouth. The taste is a thing of beauty. Sweet toffe mixed with lightly carmelized malts and drying hops. This alt is nicely hopped, but has a good malt presence as well. And a really nice sweetness is present. This is gone way too fast.

I had only come across 3 highly impressionable alts in my day (Summit, Sherlock's and Double Bag).

Until today.

Huge thanks for this enlightening experience is thrown out to cokes.

04-04-2004 04:36:44 | More by Bighuge
francisweizen

Arizona

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

11.2oz swing top bottle. minimalistic labelling as well. This pours out a dark brown liquid with chestnut edges and a small tan head. Aromas are strong and consist of cloves, vanilla, tobacco, dark fruits, twigs, berries, and deep malts. The hops are there too in the background. The taste is quite malty and deep upfront with the various spices and flavors working their way into your tastebuds. The middle is very roasty and malty, and the finish provides you with a nice bitter blast, and lingering aftertaste of spicy hops. The mouthfeel is thick, but not too thick for the style and the drinkability is very very good. I'm very glad I got a chance to sample this rare nectar!

03-31-2004 23:51:36 | More by francisweizen
SheepNutz

Kentucky

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. I know, I know, it's not in an Alt glass, but I don't have any. It pours a deep burgundy color with one finger of off-white head. There is a little bit of lacing left on the glass. The smell has lots of fresh hops to it, and some sweet caramel lingering. The taste has toffee and caramel all over it, nice and malty at first. The finish is a brave dose of hops, and just a touch of alcohol. The mouthfeel is as thick and smooth as an Altbier can get! And the drinkability is just perfect. I could knock several of these down. Top notch, not just according to Altbiers, but according to ALL beers!

03-31-2004 19:41:43 | More by SheepNutz
Dogbrick

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

I've been looking for a replacement for the awesome Blimp City Akron/Macon Ale since they went out of business, and I think I have found it! The beer is a dark brown/amber with an ultra thin off-white head. Very little lacing. The aroma is nice and full, with caramel, malt and sweet fruit. Medium-bodied and very drinkable with a pleasing blend of flavors such as malt, raisin, caramel and hops. The finish is the only place it falls off a little. There is a slight metallic tinge to the fruity finish that was out of character with the beer. A slightly bigger hops finish would make it nearly perfect. As it stands though, this is one of the better Alts I have had.

03-30-2004 16:26:45 | More by Dogbrick
goindownsouth

4.72/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can honestly say that when word of this Alt-style brew came my way, I was not all that excited. Thanks to spesh, my thoughts have changed. This tall-bottled beauty streamed from the bottle a wonderful amber-red colour. The head was thick and foamy, probably due to my aggressive pour. Although, in this Bier's defense, the skim head did remain throughout. One whiff of this Altbier and I was hooked. Roasted malty goodness, slightly sweet and perhaps some hints of faint unsweetened chocolate run through my nose. The flavor is deep and rich, with just a slight bite on the back of the tongue. Hoppy in a subtle German way, and I am catching notes of semi-sweet raisins on my tongue. If this Bier had any more than 6.0% ABV, the drinkability score may have suffered. An amazing Altbier. I think one would be hard-pressed to find one better. I drink this, and I may as well be sitting in a Biergarten in the Fatherland.

Zum wohl!

03-29-2004 22:47:29 | More by goindownsouth
cokes

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Shadow-laden copper, infused lightly with red. Lacy, beige head on top. It whittles to a skim, but remains.
The aroma is exactly how it needs to be. Sweet and nutty and bitter. Think caramel-coated walnut, settled on drying grass.
In fact, continue to let that "caramel-coated walnut, settled on dry grass" image resonate in your mind. Because that is what the flavor is. But one mere sentence cannot sum up what's happening here. Toasty sweet upstart. Toffee, nougat, and cream. All heated until a crust forms. Raisin bread notes. With frosting. Nuances of vanilla. It begins to dry and becomes nuttier. Pecans and almonds and walnuts. Now add some purple fruit. Invigorating, lagered sense of cleanliness. Clean air and clean water. Ends powerfully bittered, with herb-encrusted flowers. Lightly astringent closure.
Drinks like liquid silk. A 5L keg would not be enough. Nothing would. Not Gallons...not oceans.
This is fucking killer stuff.
I had my doubts, and now I feel foolish.
This is refined beyond description. Altstanding.

03-28-2004 04:57:56 | More by cokes
mikeys01

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a very cool tall brown swingtop bottle with a long thin neck. Bottle opens with quite a pop and wisps of vapor. No visible head, the tiniest wisps of bubbles float on top for a bit. Color is a crystal clear polished brown suede. Aroma is very sweet and caramely, just a hint of alcohol and hops. Taste is very sweet and malty, nice caramelization and a bit of nutty/woody flavor, alcohol is noticeable up front as well. Maltiness gives way to a startling hop bitterness that becomes more apparent as the beer warms a bit, leaving it just a bit dry at the finish. Mouthfeel is on the thinner side, but that's OK, it helps balance the malty sweetness. A very good alt I'd say, glad I had the opportunity to try it.

03-24-2004 03:04:07 | More by mikeys01
IrishRedRock

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

I am going to have to disagree with my fellow BA's on the excellence of this brew. I am quite surprised to see that all the reviews thus far have given it such high marks. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but I don't think it's as good as the reviews make it out to be. I'm glad I didn't read them before or I would have been really let down.

I've let it warm, hoping that more flavors will come out, but that just does not seem to be happening. Has a sweet malty nose with very noticeable notes of alcohol despite the relatively low ABV. Copper in color with hardly any lace or head at all. Flavor is malty but very thin...traces of oak, alcohol, and caramel, but the the whole flavor profile just seems to be missing something. It's slightly above cellar temp now, and the mild hop bite is just that, very verrrry mild. Maybe I just expected something a little more robust. Carbonation level is very nice. Highly drinkable, but I can think of many other beers I would rather have a few of that are just as drinkable AND have more flavor. Sorry everyone, but this looks like it'll be the first sub-4 review for this brew. I'll expect a pile of angry beermail ;-)

I am glad I got to try this, given that it is the real deal straight from Germany, and it is so difficult to find. Cheers to yen157 for letting me in on this secret.

03-24-2004 02:41:52 | More by IrishRedRock
sprinkle

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Nice bright copper in color with just enough head to keep me happy. Beautiful hop/malt nose. Good and malty up front with a drying bitterness which is unusual from the others I have tasted. Great balance in a good beer, plus it has a nice story...best alt since I lived in Germany.

03-22-2004 19:52:25 | More by sprinkle
Jon

4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

A firm pour yields a dark copper liquid with a quickly fading taupe-hued head. Sparse trails of lace remain on the glass.

Roasted, nutty malt aromas persist and are accompanied by an assertive hop presence. Very nice.

Hoppier than any altbier I've tried, woody, caramel and slightly roasted malt flavors struggle to maintain balance. A coffee liqueur character appears, though the hop flavor (Hallertau I'm guessing) persists very nicely and creates a very well-rounded, mildly bitter character overall. No complaints.

Full, perfectly carbonated mouthfeel lends very well to this beer, especially in the bottle.

Drinkability, due to the refreshing qualities of the hop bitterness that persists, is near perfect if not totally.

Very nice altbier. Certainly the most outstanding I've sampled. I just wish it were more readily available, especially on draught.

03-22-2004 03:22:00 | More by Jon
dannyvee

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

This has been quite hyped on the site as of late, so I was excited to try it when I finally found it ($4/ bottle). Sampled @ cellar temperature in a Rapscallion snifter.

Have to agree wtih others that this is one of the coolest bottles I've seen. However, I was a little disappointed when the swing of the top yielded only a tiny "pfft".

Poured hard for a head which died quickly but left a small lace ring around the circumference of the glass. The color is a crystal clear iced tea-like deep red-brown. Very little carbonation can be seen.

Aromas of woody alcohol, malty candy sweetness, and vanilla. Up front the taste is of liquor, malt and caramel. Then at the end the hoppiness comes out for a nice balance.

The mouthfeel is rich and creamy with little carbonation.

Overall, a great package, great taste, and a highly drinkable brew. However, with all the hype, I was expecting something that was going to blow me out of the water. This didn't and I would certainly drink it again, but wouldn't go too far out of my way to get it.

03-21-2004 21:47:54 | More by dannyvee
PatandDavid

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

This was pretty darn good! Dark clear amber, very still. Carbonation is very low with this one. Aroma is like bread rising, and even a whiff of alcohol coming off. The taste is very interesting. When I first started drinking it (out of the fridge), it was very malty, and the hops weren't that present. Now about an hour and a half later, the hops are asserting themselves. You have this thin sliver of malt to taste, then it gets surrounded by bitter, but not overpowering hops. It's hard to describe, it's like the well-rounded bitterness of the hops predominates more than their taste or aroma. Good Stuff, glad I bought a few bottles. I think the 6% alcohol is detectable.

The bottle is nice as well, dark brown, it has a lot of detail: Braille on the bottom. There is even a saying on it: Dat leckere droeppke, which I think is dialect for the tasty drop. Swing top adds to the charm.

03-17-2004 01:05:33 | More by PatandDavid
BierManVA

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

No detail of this bier was left to chance. From the beutiful bottle to the product inside. An extremely fine hand crafted brew.

The color is an amazing fluid dark copper that reminds one of the proverbial "nectar". The aromas are of well ballanced hops on a complex malt base.

The taste is what gets you. Incredibly complex for this style. "More hops and more malt" proclaims the brewer and with excellent results. Caramel, earthy sweet at its base, finishing beutifully with hops.

The bier is not highly carbonated but far from flat. It glides down very smooth and I find myself enjoying the aftertatse near as much as the bier.

Sometimes the complexity of a bier escapes you and ther is only one thing you can say. "This is damn fine stuff"

John

03-14-2004 21:58:00 | More by BierManVA
marburg

4.93/5  rDev +19.7%

What an aroma! Assorted soft, gourmet nuts. Emerged straight from the bottle and "with authority" as the swing-top popped open. Ground vanilla bean. Cinnamon covered pecans. Woody. Liquor. Good.

Smooth, balanced flavors. Malty sweet, of course. But the hops in this brew are one-of-a-kind. Flower petal bitterness that's simultaneously spicy, leafy, dry, sharp, and lingering. And just slightly citric. A remarkable achievement, really. I've never gathered so much simply from the finish of a beer. This is quite a great brew.

03-14-2004 19:30:11 | More by marburg
proc

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured out to a amber/bronze/copper color in the glass. I couldn't pick one color, so I am putting all three in this review. The aroma was interesting with almost a fine bourbon smell mingling with malt. The taste had notes of caramel and spices and was extremely easy and soothing to drink. The hops are there, but not overdone and blend nearly flawlessly with the malt. This is a special beer. I bet on-tap it would be even better.

03-14-2004 04:30:52 | More by proc
TinusTime

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured from into a 12 oz straight sided glass from a very unique shaped bottle. Just getting this beer was a coup so I saved it for review 100.
Pours a dark copper with an nice inch tall white head. Smell is of caramel overtones with Jammy fruits and German hops probably Hallertau..Taste is of dark raisiny bread, caramel, at first then an amazing hop twist that dries it out. Somehow finishes sweet and dry. Light carbonation makes the mouthfeel smoother than chinese silk.. Damn this is good. Drinkability is off the charts . I would have no problem having these all night. Why oh why is it limited.. This is one of the tip top beers . A classic. I got in a case where i work and Im not sure I want to share the rest or horde them for myself. Thanks to Mike from Specialty Bev for snagging me the last case. Damn im almost done with the glass..

03-14-2004 03:52:08 | More by TinusTime
avylover

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%

Came in an impressive looking flip top bottle.Clear ruby mahogony color with a very small snow white head. Very little carbonation. Aroma of sweet bread, fruit cake, and a clean caramel maltiness. Plums show up in there too. OK, you have my attention. What separates this beer is the finish. There are all sorts of flavors going on here, with fruity esters and malt fused together perfectly. The finish is almost like a cider, with apples and a champagne type tastes showing up. Mouthfeel is very smooth but dry, with a slight bittering hoppiness. Drinkability is top notch, especially with just 6% ABV and this much taste.

03-13-2004 01:55:23 | More by avylover
putnam

Having consumed a large amount of Hannen and Diebels I was excited to try this artisan Dusseldorfer Alt. Ohmygod. This is great.

Bronze and drip coffee-brown there is a silky curve to the line of fine fizz that slowly accretes to the surface. The nose is spectacular - reminiscent of Tadcaster products like Nut Brown Ale and Imperial Stout, there is a subtle trace of vanilla and blue fruits buried beneath the impressive load of roasted, crushed walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts. Also noted are aromas of ethereal Palo Cortado barrels and dates.

This is a chiseled dry beer in spite of the evidence of serious malt content. On the palate it stings lightly with Champagne fizz then weighs down the midpalate with velvety textured, earthy tannins before finishing on a hard, clean, peppery note of raw iron.

Perfect to drink while listening to Coltrane, John or Alice.

03-10-2004 23:41:15 | More by putnam
ark57

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

The bottle is a nice swing top style with a long thin neck and is only 11.2oz. It is a clear, dark copper with a thin head. The aroma is of roasted nuts and hops. The nutty maltiness has some caramel in the taste. The finish is a big hop bitterness. The hops are noble and floral. This is a great beer to quaf, though it is a bit expensive at almost $4 for not even 12oz.

03-10-2004 17:04:20 | More by ark57
cretemixer

Indiana

4.58/5  rDev +11.2%

.33 litre longneck swingtop. This really cool bottle opens with an explosive "pop".
Clear auburn in color with an ivory colored head that fades to a thin collar rather quickly.
Extremely clean aroma. Caramel malts with a hint of alcohol. A sweet fruitiness comes though too.
Very clean taste with a metalic tinge. The malt is very well balanced by the hop presence that kicks in towards the finish.
Soft mouthfeel with crisp carbonation.
Undeniably drinkable.

03-09-2004 14:14:57 | More by cretemixer
yen157

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

Very deep orange in color topped by a surprisingly lightweight frothy head that seemed sticky. Floral (but not fruity) hops in the nose with notes of lemon oil and dry grass. The body is light considering the amount of malt that went into this 7% beer, but it not at all inappropriate for the style. Carbonation is perfect. This is a pleasure to have in my mouth. The bubbles are the perfect size and prick my tongue at just the right rate. Wow. Tastes about what you would expect from a good alt plus a little more. Good malt presence made up of a simple caramel flavor and fairly straightforward snappy, fine grained bitterness. There is also an unexpected wet earth, mineral quality that's probably derived from the hops and really sets the tone of the beer. As it warm, a slightly buttery toffee note came out along with a hint of toastiness. Good stuff.

I hope everyone who wants to try this gets a chance while it’s here in the States. Because it is so limited, that will probably not be the case. Anyway, snap ‘em up!

02-27-2004 03:22:19 | More by yen157