Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Uerige Sticke - Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Uerige StickeUerige Sticke

Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei visit their website

Altbier |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: yen157 on 02-27-2004

Uerige Sticke gibt es zwei Mal im Jahr im Ausschank - am jeweils dritten Dienstag im Januar und Oktober. Dieses Bier wird mit mehr Malz und Hopfen gebraut und ist deutlich gehaltvoller als Uerige Alt: Hinter dem intensiven, eleganten Aroma verbergen sich 6% Alkohol.

Der ungewöhnliche Name leitet sich davon ab, dass man in früheren Zeiten "stickum" ("hinter vorgehaltener Hand") weiter erzählte, dass der Braumeister wohl etwas zu großzügig beim Abwiegen der Zutaten war.

Der höhere Alkoholgehalt gestattet Lagerzeiten, die beträchtlich über das von uns garantierte Mindestfrischedatum hinausgehen.
4.02/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a reddish brown with a dissipating head. The color is a deep brown/garnet with a substantial amount of yeast in suspension. Sweet malt aroma rises from the glass. The taste is of a very attenuated hefeweizen with a long aftertaste of toasted malt. Very cleansing and satisfying session beer.

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%

From the 1-11 bottling. Poured into a tall weizen glass as it was the closes thing to a stange I could come up with since my stange was STOLEN earlier this evening.

Cloudy raisin brown pour, off-white massive head that requires a delicate pour.

Bready malt, some sweetness, herbs, some spice. Interesting nose on this one.

I wouldn't call this one complex in the same way I would a BSDA. But there is a heckuva lot going on. Bready malt backbone. Some sour lemon juice and then spicy yeast. Herbs. It would take a long time to really sort this out. Some black tea-like flavors underpinning everything. A little bit of booze in the aftertaste.

Decent carbonation, smooth mouthfeel. Medium bodied.

Nice beer and a unique style.

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%

Popping the cool swing-top bottle produces a wisp of smoke and a whiff of sweet, dark fruits and cookie dough. Semi-cloudy mahogany sits beneath a rocky 1-finger head which rolls vigorously but soon leaves only gossamer wisps of bubbles on the surface.
Nose is big on sweet cookie dough and whole wheat bread-crusts with some sultana and plum. A sweet, malty nose, but clean.
Upon supping, palate is smacked with more malty goodness: a big, caramel malt presence mingled with plums, dates and raisins. Actually, many ingredients of a good bread pudding and the cookie-dough–like character is still there as well. Cookie-dough in a bread pudding? Why not! A fine thread of faint herbal hoppiness comes around before powdery grain husk brings in the finale. Moderate carbonation cleans and dries out the finish further – its effervescence creates subtle, earthy notes that were perhaps missed in the initial nose. A semi-light, creamy mouthfeel keep this very drinkable, and I’m sad this cool bottle is so very small. A very easy to drink Ale with plenty of depth and character to keep you coming back for more. Will definitely pick this up again.

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours a dark amber color with slightly hazel-colored foam and a little haziness.

Wow, the nose on this beer is complex. Immediately loads of dried fruit shines through, dried figs, apricot and raisins, but not in a cloying or overly sweet sense. It is beautifully balanced against a fairly hoppy backdrop, absolutely perfect malt, hops and complexity.

After I take my first sip, I wonder what the heck happened? I was expecting a rich and perhaps even sweet beer, coating my palate but oh no, this beer literally and figuratively blows up, it is so light, so refined and the best way I can describe it is "explosively evaporating". The malts are light and airy, leaving a long sensation of light fruits, apple, apricot and nuts with a wet-granite like mineral character on the finish.

I could go on and on about this beer, but suffice it to say that this is in the top 3 of the best beers I have ever tasted. If you can find it, drink it!

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured a bit hazy. Probably got bottom residuals in pour. Slightly off white, slight tan two fingered head that dissipates as expected. Leaves quite a bit if lacing and a thick top foam. Brown, clear.

S - sweet, malty with low hop aroma. No diacetyl or DMS. Caramel aroma, low roasted malt.

T - bitter. Just noticed that this bottled on 03.09. Is this old?
Sharp taste of alcohol because it is a sticke. Should be malty and a touch sweet. This tastes new. No off flavors but it is warming which seems odd. Roasted malt notes.

M - clean finish. Rounded and pleasant.

I have to compare this to another bottle with a different code.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Brilliantly clear deep amber beer with a billowing tan head floating on top. Large bubbles slide down the glass leaving a nice lacing on the glass. Surprisingly clear for a bottle conditioned brew.

Great sweet roasted malt aroma, with faint figgyness. I pick up a little spice in the nose but its very subtle.

Slightly sweet flavor is almost balanced by a crisp spicy bitterness. Roasted malt, caramel, toffee, cinnamon. Finishes dryish and very clean despite the sweetness up front.

Quite drinkable, very nice but a little sweet for my taste. I prefer the Uerige standard over this special version but both are quite good.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Nice bright copper in color with just enough head to keep me happy. Beautiful hop/malt nose. Good and malty up front with a drying bitterness which is unusual from the others I have tasted. Great balance in a good beer, plus it has a nice story...best alt since I lived in Germany.

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz bottle bottled 10/2008.

A: Amber, slightly cloudy (due to my error) with a huge taupe colored head. Excellent amount of lacing down the glass.

S: Smells of hops and wort. A bit of an earthy character mixed with caramel and wort notes. Smells as if the beer would be underattenuated.

T: Immediately hit by green apples with a note of peach pits. A very grainy, kind of slightly roasted character. Some definite earthiness in the hops with a bit of a bite.

M: A bit lighter and more carbonated than I expected. Hop presence coats the tounge and the beer seems quite dry.

O: An interesting beer. I had never tried the style and since my company is based in Dusseldorf figured I'd give it a shot. Surprised by the hop bitterness, but not a bad beer. Interesting bottle to say the least.

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

How to judge a beer so unique? Other than Frankenheim - which I liked very well - my expirience with alts has been limited to a few micros and homebrews.

The head was thin but the individual bubbles were very fine. At first glance the beer appears dark brown but if held to the light it is closer to carmel. It's apparently bottle conditioned and so is somewhat cloudy. The nose is fruity and malty. The taste is somewhat sweet at first, then malty-toasty and finally some bitterness.

I've enjoyed the real alts I've had, but I can't say I'm an expert on the style - there dosen't seem to be many german alts available and I'm not sure the micros are true to form. Of course I liked it.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance: Sort of a burnt umber in color. Initially had a 3/4" head which disappeared quickly. Leaves very little trace of lacing. Still, a very nice color.

Smell: A very nice, smooth malt with fig and very faint citrus undertones.

Taste: Goes down like a very mild PA or Bitter. Reminds me of Belk's ESB. Tastes of a very clean, bready malt with just the right touch of bitterness in the back of the tongue.

Overall: This was my first with this legendary beer and I expected more. Still, I enjoyed it, but it definitely wasn't worth the price tag. OK, maybe it was because of the cool bottle. . . I'd like to try it on tap sometime.

Note: after it warmed up, the complexities started to shine. Raisins, Biscuit came through in the taste and the smell become slightly more alcoholic.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Cool-looking flip-top bottle poured into the closest approximation I have to a Stange glass.

Solid brown in color. Hazy, though the bottle may have been agitated a little. Excellent head retention.

Smell is subtle, malty, a little sweet though not incredibly so. Taste is quite pleasant, again lots of caramel malt, still less "biscuity" than the Altbiers I'm used to but then again, those were all American so who knows. Alcohol comes through a bit, and there is some hop bitterness towards the end. Mouthfeel is very moderate, neither light nor heavy.

Overall, this is quite a good beer. Were it not for the label I would have pegged it as a slightly strong English brown ale by appearance and flavor. This bottle was a gusher probably due to mishandling so I will try to seek out another and update my review.

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

This was a great beer. Great amber almost cherry wood color to the beer. Had a great head in the beginning but quickly faded to a thin film. Lacing was very evident and great throughout. Taste was perfect for an Alt with little alcohol flavor. Would want many more!!!

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured out of a most interesting-looking bottle into my stange...

A: I was going to say amber from the start, but stopped because something felt wrong about using that term. I took another good look and realized it was because, although it is indeed amber, leaning towards brown, it's cloudier and thicker than most amber beers I'm used to (this must be the yeast, I'm sure). Got a good finger or two of eggshell off-white head, with a minimal amount of lacing. Looks inviting...

S: Quite interesting. Sweet maltiness but accompanied by a strong, bitter hoppy character. Molasses, maybe dried fruit. Good combinations all around, very strong, and definitely pleasing.

T: Very bready, sweet maltiness that runs parallel to this beautiful bitter hoppiness. Nutty, with a lot of dried fruit to it. I personally lean towards malty beers, but the combination here, especially the strength of the malts and the hops, playing off of and alongside each other, is nothing short of glorious. This is damned good.

M: Medium bodied, light-to-medium carbonation, and pretty smooth. No harsh bite from the hops, and all around it's kind of bready.

D: Can't say much else other than this is tasty enough to keep me going back for more.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

This was another birthday gift. Have to admit, I had never seen this beer before, so thanks friends. I'm pretty sure they picked it out because of the bottle, but their system worked.

Nice pour into a pint glass with a great head. Really foamy and unusually stiff foam. The color was inviting and the carbonation had really small and effervescent bubbles that never ended.

Some cinnamon in the nose. Crisp and complex browned butter taste with a clean finish and nice mouthfeel. Very representative German tasting beer.

On the take-home scale I would rate this as a six pack. Not your everyday beer unless you are a German beer kinda person.

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%

This has been quite hyped on the site as of late, so I was excited to try it when I finally found it ($4/ bottle). Sampled @ cellar temperature in a Rapscallion snifter.

Have to agree wtih others that this is one of the coolest bottles I've seen. However, I was a little disappointed when the swing of the top yielded only a tiny "pfft".

Poured hard for a head which died quickly but left a small lace ring around the circumference of the glass. The color is a crystal clear iced tea-like deep red-brown. Very little carbonation can be seen.

Aromas of woody alcohol, malty candy sweetness, and vanilla. Up front the taste is of liquor, malt and caramel. Then at the end the hoppiness comes out for a nice balance.

The mouthfeel is rich and creamy with little carbonation.

Overall, a great package, great taste, and a highly drinkable brew. However, with all the hype, I was expecting something that was going to blow me out of the water. This didn't and I would certainly drink it again, but wouldn't go too far out of my way to get it.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Presentation: A very distinct and neat looking 11.2 oz. brown flip-top bottle from Once Upon A Vine. The bottling date on the upper label reads “31.01” with a code of “03.02.” It might be worth keeping the empty bottle as a collectible.

Appearance: The coloration of this beer is dark and coppery. It is clear and appears to be of a light to medium body. Initially, it has a strong, off-white head, but it soon dissipates, leaving scarcely a hint of white lace. Eventually, it begins to look more and more like iced tea.

Smell: At first, the aroma of the beer is very subdued, but as it gets warmer, the smell of caramel malts, toffee, and berries becomes apparent. An undercurrent of oak, roasted nuts, and floral hops may also be detected. Overall, it is mellow but complex.

Taste: Upon the first sip, one might note the brew’s delicate and well-balanced flavor. It begins with notes of caramel and toffee, moves into a mixture of roasted malt and dark fruit, and finishes with a satisfying hop bitterness that lingers long after the last sip. A hint of honey-like sweetness finds its way into the aftertaste as well.

Mouthfeel: The brew is medium in body and is very smooth. I say it is medium in body, because although it seems light-bodied at first, there seems to be a slight stickiness to it. The finish is long but satisfying.

Drinkability: It is far more drinkable than I had originally anticipated. I had no trouble getting through my glass and if the bottle had been bigger, I’m sure it would have been equally easy. Still, I don’t think I’d want more than one of these, because it one is more than satisfying.

Note: Although I’ve had the opportunity to have some before, this is the first altbier I’ve sampled. I can see myself buying this again someday, but it also makes me want to branch out and try other altbiers. Hopefully the others can stand up to my first impression.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Look- A medium- dark amber seems to have slight haze, hard to tell with the amber hue, cleared slightly as it warmed. Full off white head, did not subside much.

Aroma- a clean refreshing aroma, slight malty sweetness, above average hop bitterness, picked up minor fruitiness as it warmed.

Taste- a smooth sweetness from the malt, slight caramel or biscuity, high hop presents in the finish, nothing to intense very enjoyable. A light to medium mouthfeel, the smooth clean aroma plays out in the taste.

Overall- a very enjoyable beer nothing to crazy jumping out at you which on most days is very enjoyable, would buy again, really nice packaging as well, will reuse the bottle for sure.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

I had only tried a few alts before this one, and I was always disappointed. They weren't bad, but I just couldn't get the style. I had to try this one, figuring if Im going to like an alt, this will be it. And, what do you know, I do. I think I also get the style now, either that or Sticke transcends a weak style to make a great beer.

In bottle, 11.2 oz serving. Pours a medium to dark amber with very little head but plenty of carbonation bubbles. The smell was caramel and lightly hopped, mostly smelled like something that was going to taste good. But in a generic beer kind of way. The taste was smooth. Is smooth a taste or a mouthfeel. There was no overpowering flavor, it just all worked together, little bit o' hops, nice maltiness, a touch of the caramel. Balanced. Mouthfeel was smooth (as Ive already written) and clean. This beer is amazingly drinkable for a 6% beer. Gone instantly, was looking for more, could drink this all night. If Im ever in Dusseldorf, I know what I will be doing for at least one night.

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

Didn't have a stange to pour into but will be getting one soon since I found a place close to buy this beer.

A - caramel coloring with large lingering off-white head.

S - Fruity aromas with hints of maltiness

T - Malty sweetness with dry hoppy after effects.

M - A little light side but close to medium bodied.

D - Just waiting to get the glass

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from bottled with bottle date 02.10 into pint glass.

Pours a mildy hazy brown with amber highlights. An inch of cream colored head rises and then quickly settles into a nice ring leaving traces of lace on the side.

The aroma is mild with notes of caramel and roasted malt and noble hops.

The flavor has a beautiful balances that begins with the caramel and roasted maltsand then smoothly finishes with a nice cleansing hop bitterness. It is very smooth and seamless and this is why it is one of my favoite beers. It also has a very nice, almost sily mouthfeel .

Overall I love this beer. This version bring just that extra touch of robustness to the style that makes it a beer that is both satisfying and complex, worthy of the price it carries compared to other domestic craft altbiers.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked up from Sam's in D-Town this afternoon for a reasonable price.

I decided to pour into my new Ommegang goblet, since it looks so nice! This Alt is rather dark, almost brown ale-ish. Very nice!

The aromas are primarily deeply toasted malt, with a little sweetness. Hops are there in a minimal fashion.

The flavor is quite good. It's toasty and bready in the way that only a beer with Munich malt can be. What's surprising is the hops - they add a definate leafiness to the finish and provide enough bitterness to balance the initial bread/caramel sweetness.

The mouthfeel is modest with a bit of prickly carbonation. Not too much, though. This one is a quaffer - I could drink a few quarts of this stuff!

Well, this is my first experience with German Alt, and I'm impressed. This, being a Sticke Alt, is a bit high in alcohol to be a session beer, but it's very flavorful and drinkable enough for seconds. I need more now!

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from bottle with a nice head that quickly disappeared. Nice copper color with a sweet malt, syrup aroma. Taste is sweet with a dry peppery finish. Not very bitter, the malt flavor is dominant right up front. A nice beer. Very unique bottle. Worth a second round.

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%

The look of the beer is Brownish/amber almost Carmel color vary hazy that gives it a thick look, frothy, creamy white head that dissipates fairly fast. I could smell that fruity goodness when my glass was put on the table, once I stuck my nose in the glass I was hit with lots of sweet malt aroma. The fragrance of this beer is pleasurable. Taste is malt right up front balanced nicely by hops. I would call this is an easy, smooth drinking beer, and would use the word mild but that would not do it justice. The mouth feel is medium with a crisp finish. Once again the hop and malt balance is almost perfect. Good lacing down the glass. I am defiantly recommending this beer to everybody if you can find it order it you won't be disappointed.

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer comes in an 11.2 oz, very long, thin-necked brown bottle with a Hutter style stopper. Bottling date is indicated.
Appearance: It pours a hazy, reddish copper color with a thin, one half inch head. After a few minutes a thin cap remains with a few lacy patches clingling to the glass.
Aroma: This beer has a significantly stronger aroma than a typical Alt beer. There is a caramel presence with a combination of coriander and a barbacue sauce like flavor.
Taste: The caramel maltiness hits first, followed by a hoppiness that is well balanced with the malt. Hop bitterness finishes and lingers on the back of the throat.
Body: Medium full with a mild syrupy mouthfeel. Carbination is low but just enough to give a spritzy sensation.
Drinkability: As someone who developed his love for beer in the Zum Uerige brewpub in 1968, I was anxious to try this "secret" offering. I was not disappointed. This brew is eminently drinkable with a maltier and hoppier character than the usual Alt beer offered by Zum Uerige.

4.04/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a hazy brown with 1/2" of head.
Smells of sweet caramel malt with a balanced hop base.

Tastes of sweet caramel and toffee up front, then finishes with a lingering and welcome bitterness.
Moderate mouthfeel. Perfect carbonation.
If it wasn't $4 a bottle, I could drink it all day.

Overall, nothing hugely complex or mindblowing here. But Wow is it tasty and drinkable!

Uerige Sticke from Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei