Uerige Doppelsticke - Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Uerige DoppelstickeUerige Doppelsticke

Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2005)

The pour was a dark amber/red with a two finger head that slowly dissapated to a thin head on top of the beer that held on throughout the drink.

The smell was quite a complex mix of fruit and nuts with just a slight hint of hops.

The drink started with a heavy fruit taste followed by a nutty middle and a hoppy end that finished clean and crisp. Little or no aftertaste.

This is one of the best beers I've ever tried. I will buy more of these just to keep them for special occasions. If you want a good example of the style this is one to look for.

4.96/5  rDev +20.4%

4.95/5  rDev +20.1%

11.2oz swing top, slender bottle poured into a white wine glass · bottled 10.06, whatever that means · fridge temp

Appearance: Pours a cloudy brown with red highlights. The head make sits way to an inch tall, light tan in color. The head surface looks like pancake batter as it gets heated in a pan. Not much lacing.

Smell: Rum, raisins, brown sugar, slight alcohol, creme brulee. Loaded with an arsenal of aromatics. Maybe some licorice in there as well.

Taste: Oh, wow. This is spectacular. Excellent brown sugar sweetness is followed by a cherry nib flavor. It is so dense with flavor that it carries that umami (deliciousness) factor. Next there is a hop flavor that really dries out in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Sweet, sticky, medium bodied, bitter and finishes dry. This is mouthfeel perfection. The alcohol is there, but isn't overt.

Drinkability: Again, this beer defines umami. It is so delicious because it covers so many flavor components, and covers them all very well. It is complex, fruity, sweet, bitter and GERMAN. This is the best German beer I have ever had, and it rivals many of the overall beers I have ever had. As close to perfection as it gets.

4.9/5  rDev +18.9%

This bottle is so freakin' cool. I can't stop looking at it.

Popped the top and didn't shoot my eye out. Oh wait, maybe cuz the stopper is attached. Those Germans think of everything.

Dark walnut liquid with a super thick, dense, creamy head that will not dissipate. Sip after sip it retains it's consistency.

The aroma of this beer reminds me of a bakery. Sweet caramel, figs, almonds, toffee.

Malty, sweet raisins, caramel, and brown sugar with just enough bitterness to keep it in check. Huge mouthfeel. Thick, chewey.

Outstanding!

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

This beer is like the fruitcake at Christmas that you actually want to eat. This is, by far, the best beer of this style I have ever tasted.
Nice and dark the head quickly disappears after pouring. The smell is mouthwatering and is a good representation of the taste to come. Malty and sweet with just a touch of bitterness, this coats the mouth and fills the stomach. A must-have for dark german beer lovers.

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

Bottled on 2nd June 2011

Received in a trade with Erzengel, cheers mate!

Served into a Frankenheim Alt stange.

A- Dark mahogany body with excellent clarity. Tan toffee 3 finger head that has excellent retention and lacing.

S- Peppery slight floral aroma up front with a rum/raisin/ vanilla fruit cake sweetness.

T- It has the strong floral citrus hop notes thats classic to the regular Uerige alt, but it has a much greater malt backbone in the form of a rich dark fruit cake sweetness. Malt is dominant in the finish although not overpowering that it results in a sticky finish. Hops still manage to surface with some bitterness in the aftertaste.Smooth, alcohol well hidden.

M- Low to medium carbonation, medium body.

D- A superb alt. Reminds me of Adnams broadside. Lots of hop and malt presence that balance well but still manage to hold their own indivdual characteristics in both palate and nose. A beer to warm the soul.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

I must admit that I purchased this beer based off of the appearance of the bottle, lame I know. I can read about 2 or 3 words on the front label. I guess this doesn’t have any effect on how this beer will taste. I guess curiosity got the best of me so I hope that I am not disappointed, not that I think I will be.

Gorgeous dark ruby red in color, with a tall off white head that stands for awhile. Good lacing on the side of my glass as well. Appears clear, with little visible carbonation bubbles. I must say that out of the bottle this adult beverage sparks my curiosity as much as the bottle itself.

Smells nice and malty, with hints of dark fruits, cherries, and figs come to mind. Hop aroma is present but not too strong, on the herbal, earthy side. Slight alcohol aroma in the nose. I was in the mood for a fairly sweet malty brew, and by the smell I think I choose the right one.

One word comes to mind upon taking my initial few sips, delicious. Not disappointed in the least in the taste department. I do not like an overly sweet brew and this one was perfect. The fruit malt combination was perfect. The herbal/earthy hops lend a generous hand but not drawing much attention at all. Some alcohol bite and warmth. Finishes nice as well.

As expected, mouthfeel is great as well. A great full bodied beer that is not too “heavy”. Carbonation works well with the other elements of the brew. I know it sounds schizophrenic of me, but this beer talks to me. It causes the words “drink me” to be uttered from my own mouth. MAKE IT STOP!

I am sure I do not need to go into overall drinkability after reading the above comments on this great Alt. I think it was a great easy drink. I would love to pick up a case or two or three of this wonderful nectar.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

A stunning new beer from one of the worlds best hausbraueries. Displays all the wonderful aromas and flavors of the classic and Sticke Altbiers from Uerige. What surprised me most was the ability to preserve the house character of Uerige but balance all those flavors in a totally poundable 8.5% beer. This beer does not drink like a bock bier at all, much less a Doppelbock. Its clearly a product of top fermentation followed by cold conditioning.

Can an 8.5% beer be a session beer? This one sure seemed that way as each time I finished the 0,2 litre glass I was pulled back for another one. Thats what world class beers do and its not often one finds a beer this strong this drinkable. Well done!

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: dark cloudy amber with thick lacing on top.

Smell: Assertive malt character: nuts, toffee, brown sugar. Also some light fruit esters.

Taste: Smooth and complex malt character up front. Nice and thick, flavor comes in layers of toffee, chocolate, amber malts.

Drinkability: One of the best beers I've ever had; easy to drink and complex.

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

Ah doppelsickle, as my wife calls it from the doppelsticke on the bottle, what a wonderful beer.

Appearance: Lovely dark copper color, with a light, white head comes from the tall, slender 333ml bottle. A beautiful thing to look at. Very inviting caramel color that seems to say, inside this glass lay pure malty goodness.

Smell: More inviting malt characteristics. Rich caramel, roasted malt, and toasted nut aroma combined with some German hop notes. Just a bigger invitation.

Taste: Big, thick roasted malt, caramel, and nutty flavors finished by crisp hops and a very clean, pure finish. Almost chewy at first the malt is so thick, yet the hops clean it nearly complete from the palate. Very crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Slightly crewy, then crisp and clean. Very enjoyable.

Drinkability: Wonderful, I would love to have this with a thick filet, some ribs, roasted chicken, braised lamb. Fantastic pair with meat.

So glad this is now in my market.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a stange glass. Pours dark copper with a near finger-length off-white head. The beer is mostly opaque, but there is some light visible along the bottom of the glass. The head dissipates, leaving a thin cap of lace atop the beer. The beer smells of dark roasted malt, toffee, plum, and raisin. It's a very rich and inviting aroma. Like their standard alt, the beer has more hop notes than you would expect just from the nose. There's a strong bready malt backbone with some toffee sweetness, plum, and raisin. There's some earthy and woody hop notes in this beer that come through rather well to balance everything out and provides some satisfying back end bitterness. I can't taste the 8.5% ABV because it is masked very well. The body is full with moderate carbonation. The beer goes down smoothly and has a dry finish. This is pleasantly drinkable for such a big beer. This is an excellent beer.

Uerige Doppelsticke from Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei