Uerige Doppelsticke - Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Altbier |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2005

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
2.24/5  rDev -45.6%

cool fliptop with purple and silver labels.. bottling date is so faded or poorly printed that its unreadable.

clear red beer with some orange-to-yellow highlights. no head, virtual webby coating on the surface with more density around the edges. aroma is puzzlingly bizarre.. glue, bandaids, and cereal left in the sink overnight. sour malts. weird. excessively malty taste that evokes maple syrup with a hard bitterness.. waxy. pretty hot for 8+% as well. aftertaste leaves a puckering tart bitterness.. taking uerige sticke, a decent beer, and making it way too big for gluttonous american pigs. not sure this experiment is a successful one. had the chance to taste this at a b united event and liked it more then. i have one more bottle and will re-review in a few.. right about now, this is not one of my favorite beers. won't revisit unless this was a fluke. (867 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -40.8%

Bottle 06/04, which is either 4-2006 or 6-2004.

Tan silky head and brown color with red tints.

Tart cherries, sweet malt and caramel. A funky aromas makes me wonder. Should this alt bier smell like a Belgian brown ale? I think not, but...

For sure skunked and well past its age. Sour fruit, stale malts and moldy hops.

Good full body with ample carbonation. I found it odd that the beer still has good head and fizz when the taste has gone so bad.

Down the drain we go. I tried to let it warm and open up, but no go. Wow, that tasting was well worth the $5... NOT! I would like to try a fresh bottle as this has potential. Does not age well, but then again, most beers go to shit after a year anyway.

Note: I really need some westy to revive my hope in beer. (766 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -35%

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a brandy snifter. Bottled on 10.06. Code 11.05. I'm a little confused, because the bottle of Uerige Sticke I just drank was stamped "Bottled on 04.10." I assumed month/year, but if that is the case, then that would make this beer five and a half years old. I suppose they could have changed reversed the numbers, which would mean this was bottled May 2010.

A: It pours a dark chocolatey brown, opaque and dense, with scattered lacing and virtually no head.

S: The yeast smells musty, with a touch of sweet malt. Not much depth.

T: So strange that I feel there must be something wrong with it...Perfume. It tastes like perfume, which is pretty nasty, but also has some interesting floral notes. But also an astringent alcoholic chemical maintaste, followed by a touch of hops and a splash of fruit on the endtaste. The undercurrent of what I describe as perfume makes this beer damn near undrinkable, but at least it fades quickly.

M: Hard to focus on, so I'll go with average.

O: I don't want to say terrible, but what could have been really cool is absolutely ruined by whatever the hell is going on. I'll put up another bottle in the future, but as it is, stay far, far away. (1,213 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -34%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served at cellar temp from unique brown fliptop bottle into a Boston Lager glass.

Pours a hazy dark brown with very little head. Just a touch of tan bubbles.

Aroma is darkly fruity, malty, with something sharp I can't identify.

Taste is really heavily sweet, underlying flavor isn't bad, there's just too much of it. Reminds me of Samiclaus, which is a 13% beer. Not a clean beer.

Mouthfeel has decent bitterness, but not a "doppel' worth. Maybe no more bitter than a plain alt, hence the imbalance towards sweetness. A little bit of alcohol burn, not welcome in an 8% beer.

Bought it because I like altbiers and thought a "double secret" alt would be even better. Nope, bigger is not better. Some styles don't amp up well, maybe? (735 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -33%

It tastes like Victory Ten Years Alt, or rather, Victory Ten Years Alt tastes like this beer.

That isn't a compliment. Terrible, just terrible,

Have you ever done a partial boil while making a homebrew and drank some? Yeah, this tastes like a concentrated wort has mistakenly been fermented. There are strong notes of concord grapes, sticky slick malts, and waaaay too much caramel.

It smells like the terrible, aborted mess that it is.

While I was drinking this beer, I was debating adding water to it. I figure maybe a 1:1 mix with water would make a mighty fine brew. Oh, wait, it does.

A poster child for the Bigger is Not Better movement. (658 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Looks like chocolate milk. Very dark hazy brown. Lacing is there but not extremely prominent. Some sediment floating around.

Smells of plums, raisin, and wine with a pungent alcohol smell.

The taste is almost exactly like the smell. Very deep raisin/bread taste. Theres a hint of smokiness as well. The alcohol is there but not overpowering. Mouthfeel is very sticky, slightly carbonated. The taste lingers LONG after you've swallowed.

This beer is a bit hard for me to drink. But, I can't say it's really my style of beer. I can appreciate it for what it is, though. I'd like to try some other beers of this style. (621 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -32.3%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

The beer pours a medium to dark brown with a very light tan head that rises half an inch is gone within in seconds. The lacing is very light and watery to boot. The beer itself is surprinsgly clear, especially in the light.

The aroma very strong dominated by a toffee note with light hops.

The taste is surprinsingly bitter with a lingering bitter after taste. You don't get much of the sweet malts you get from the aroma so it really confuses the senses and doesn't make for an enjoyable experience

Mouthfeel is heavy and it sticks to your mouth for minutes. Not very drinkable. (628 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-murky brown body with slight yeast sediment and weak beige head. Slight orange hues through light.

S-Deep raw maltiness in the nose. Slight hints of cocoa and vanilla with the slightest hop aroma deep in the background.

T-Sharp acidic chocolate taste right up front followed by a thick maltiness. The finish is bitter and dry with a chalky aftertaste. Under attenuation seems to have added an unwanted sweetness and unbalanced finish. The bittering hops seem out of place.

M-Rough around the edges with a gritty mouthfeel.

D-Not what I was expecting from this beer. Tough to drink and enjoy. The balance is just not their and nothing seems to blend well. A bit disappointing. (682 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -31.8%

Flip-topped into a pint glass. Thick, low translucence, a touch of maroon where the light fights the brown, and a thin cream head that dissipated quickly but left some lacing. Noted that the cloudiness was apparent even in the thin ribbon of beer as it was poured.

I found the smell pointedly unappetizing. There was certainly the backbone of a german malted beer, but something lightly astringent, and certainly metallic came through.

The taste was characterized mostly by an overwhelming sweetness. I should admit I am less privy to the style than I am to the American styles; I understand the style does warrant recognizable sweetness. Since this isn't one of the flavor attributes I usually hope for, I didn't love this one, but precision of the flavor was surprising considering the beer's appearance and viscosity.

Mouthfeel was enjoyable; and energetic and active beer.

Overall, one of the neater bottles I've held, and I was happy to go for a few more experience points in a lesser known style, but I didn't love it. This, certainly, could purely be personal preference. (1,085 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -31.6%

A: Hazy brown, little head.

S: Sweet, figs, malts, smoky

T: Raisins, too much as a matter of fact. Some bitterness, sweet. Almost too complex, each taste spins my buds a round. No balance.

M: oily coating, little carbonation.

D: Tough to finish the whole bottle. I much prefer the Alt. Doesn't do it for me at all. (319 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -27.9%

A - Crystal clear auburn brew with a 1.5 finger light tan head. Visable carbonation and no lacing.

S - Strong caramel malt and candied sugars with a touch of floral hops (lillies and roses). Pretty nice.

T - An unfront mild malty caramel sweetness with an aftertaste of bitter hops and alcohol. Lots of alcohol.

M - A bit harsh, yet slick and thick. Initially refreshing, but the lingering alcohol on the tongue makes it a bit drying. Interesting, though not desireable.

D - Not great. I wouldn't mind having it again sometime, but it isn't too easy to drink. The mouthfeel more than anything gives problems. It is unsessionable. As for food, it is strong alcohol ad sweet. If a Jack and coke would work, so would this. (731 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -26.7%

11.2 oz. bottle tried 19 Dec 2007. Bottle code 10(?)04.

Medium tan head. Well carbonated. Almost bronze in color. Smells chocolately and like candied pineapple. Taste is cocoa and earth. Fairly sweet. Alcohol noticeable upfront. Coats your tongue almost like cocoa powder.

Looks like the bottle must've cost at least a dollar... (330 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -26.5%

I mostly bought this for the supercool German hand grenade style bottle with the long neck and swing top. Sexy. The bottle, incidentally, reads "bottled on 06 04", which, being German, likely means April of 06, but who can say for sure?

Pours a hazy, red-orange. The head is fast fading and off white. Few bubbles in the glass and some fine particulate suspended in the ale.

As it warms, the glass surrenders notes of sweet malts, candy sugar, raisins and alcohol. Very sugary. The smell gets more intense over time, eventually becoming a sugary mess that is a bit sickly. Not my thing, really.

Taste is interesting… a Doppelbockish malt upfront; lots of raisins and higher fusel alcohols – sort of like a watered down Samichlaus, very alcoholic, the 8.5% seems more like 10%… not terribly complex and sort of watery, with a big boozy malt presence and little else… minor harsh citrus hop bitterness, but it’s all very vague.

Mouthfeel is thin. A fine, sharp carbonation gives this a bit of a kick. Aftertaste is dark malts and alcohol with some sugary caramel sweetness and a bittersweet, citrus rind flavor. Finishes dry.

I didn't like this at first, but it eventually grew a bit on me. Was it to style? Likely. Did I enjoy it? Only marginally. Uerige Doppelsticke is just too sweet for my general consumption, but it's interesting and would probably be a lot better if I wasn’t drinking it on a sweaty 85 degree night in South Carolina. Try it and form your own opinion. At the least you’ll come away with a swell swing top bottle. (1,557 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -25.7%

bottle shared courtesy of JohnathanL. Thanks!
Pours a light muddy brown color with light head. Smell is thin and caramel like malt mostly. Taste is toasty, creamy caramel, with a tart edge to it, in the way an Oktoberfest might be. Somewhat thin, but smooth. Very drinkable but didn't stand out too much. Still enjoyable. (321 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -23.8%

Serving type: bottle.

Pours a cloudy brown almost cocoa color with a thin beige head that fades qickly without leaving any lacing. Week aroma that is malty with some hops. A little watered down for my taste. ABV well hidden with a nice balance of maltiness and hops s well as a slight nutty caramel presence. (309 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I poured a bottle into a thistle glass.

Appearance- Cloudy dark brown color with a half a fingers worth of head. Light amount of runny lacing. It has a small amount of chalk like yeast residue in the bottom of the glass.

Smell- Malty sweet smell with caramel, raisin, and fig aromas.

Taste- Very sweet with a strong flavor of figs and raisins. There are also hints of caramel and toffee.

Mouthfeel- Thick and sticky feeling. An average amount of carbonation.

Overall- I didn't care for this beer. The aromas and flavors were good but it was a bit too sweet for me. I also didn't care for the excessively thick and sticky mouthfeel. (636 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -22.3%

Bottle

A: Dark brown, clear, minimal tan head

S: Earthy, dust, sweet malt, wood, bready

T: Strong etoh presence, dirt, little wood, cardboard

M: Thin, but not too thin. Burns.

D: Too strong of etoh

Overall: Feels much stronger than ABV. More bite than I prefer. Utopias probably drinks better. (299 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

330ml swingtop bottle. bottled on date stamped on the lable, but it is illegible.
Pours cloudy brown, with a thick sticky head.
Rich, sweet aroma. lots of caramel, some dark fruit, and alcohol.
Flavor is sticky sweet, with some roastiness and green leafy hops in the middle. A little too sweet for my taste. steep $4.50 price tag makes it one I probably wouldn’t visit again. (379 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

Hard to review this beer. It smells fantastic; all the rich malty notes from quality dark european beers like toffee, raisin, molasses, etc. The taste follows the aroma but it's just too sweet for me to drink the whole bottle. Mouthfeel is full, a little syrupy. Sweetness lingers after the swallow. So although I couldnt finish the bottle because the sweetness was a bit cloying, I can tell its well made, and is what it is, really. I can others enjoying it if you have a sweet tooth. I imagine it would go well with game meat. (528 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -20.9%

brown, copper.
Smells boozy, like an old ladys perfume and some raisins
Taste like fugde (very sweet butter) with some ogange zest and a quite nice bitter finish. (162 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -20.6%

Interesting looking swing-top bottle. Garnet body with a white head, leaves abundant lacing.

Sweet malt aroma with a little nuttiness and carmel is abundant.

Lots of roasted malt and a nice carmelized malt finish. Very very sweet, almost too sweet for me. Nuttiness and a nice bitter hop bite towards the middle.

Medium body with little carbonation. Not very easy drinking. (383 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I got this 11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle at Lukas Liquor in Colorado. I love the design of it; it's a swingtop with a really narrow neck. Certainly a uniquely shaped bottle. Reviewed as a doppelsticke (not to be confused with an altbier). "Bottled on 10/17/12." That's one of the hardest bottled-on dates I've ever tried to read, and it's curious that they don't use the European dating format. Maybe they label export bottles differently?

Served cold into a Spaten stangenglas in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high; I'll be at Uerige in a couple days so I'm excited to review this before going.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Three fingers in width. Pale khaki colour. Nice soft complexion and even consistency. Fluffy and frothy, to style. Retention is excellent for the high ABV - about 10 minutes. Leaves lacing on the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

BODY: Dark brown amber colour. Nontransparent, nontranslucent. No floating yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Appears well-carbonated. Looks good and malty for sticke. I'm excited to try it.

AROMA: Quite malty, with plenty of German amber malts and brown malts. I get caramel, as well as ample sticky fruitiness. Cream. Toffee. Mulled applesauce. Figs. Mushy raisins. The sticky fruity notes play well with the intense malts. Fruited bread.

I don't find any overt hop character or yeast notes. No alcohol presence is notable.

It's a pleasing aroma of moderate strength. Certainly on the sweeter end, but appealing.

TEXTURE: Smooth and wet, but very thick and heavy on the palate without being syrupy. It's got definite weight and heft, and has a powerful filling presence on the palate. Aptly carbonated. Sticky.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

TASTE: Caramalt, hints of plum, heavy fig, sticky mushy raisins and raisinbread, dark amber malts, and caramel. Kisses of toffee and even some Christmasy spice. It's quite bready - though I suppose that's a product of both its taste and its filling texture. Molasses.

Average depth and duration of flavour. High intensity of flavour for a sticke.

Balanced? Hmm. Not quite. The sweetness is a bit much, and the fig dominance a bit too obvious. There's little in terms of hop bitterness to balance the sweetness. It's a complex, layered beer, sure, but a bit more subtlety would be welcome. Not the most intricate or nuanced beer. I do like it, and it's great to see a rich German ale out there.

Develops as it comes to temperature. The heavy malty element of this beer reminds me of a doppelbock.

OVERALL: It's a very filling rich heavy beer, which limits its drinkability. But I do enjoy it and I'll have no trouble finishing it. Still, it's nice to see a brewery include a swintop on a higher alcohol beer; I wish most American imperial stouts had swingtops. It's far from the best sticke or altbier I've had, but it's well worth trying once, and has a flavour profile that is certainly rare, if not unique. I couldn't pound this by the stange at Uerige, but I think there's a reason they don't serve it there. This would be a nice treat during the wintertime.

Low B- (3,194 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -19.7%

A: Pours a dark brown w/ ruby-red hues around the edge of the glass; head pours a mocha/cream 1 inch head that dissipates quickly, leaving a frothy lacing on the surface that remains

S: Sour first, no doubt from the aging process; sweet notes of raisin; malty, but no roasted notes; definite boozy smell

T: sour and musty up front; gives way to a sweet, dried fruit flavor (raisins, prunes); hints of malt, becomes a roasted malt flavor as the beer warms; alcohol definitely here throughout

M: sticky, makes my lips stick together; a touch of metallic and astringent feel; definite warming notes on the back of the throat from the alcohol; body is medium; almost no carbonation present

O: not my favorite; don't really like the flavor of aged brews, old ales, etc... As this was an aged version of an Altbier (Doppelsticke), it didn't quite do it for me; however, considering the style of beer it is, it was very well done, and remained true to its characteristics (968 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -19.4%

stange bottle found @ oak tree buy rite, edison nj

eyes...
wierd bottle, rare style, the only other time I have had the style is the Victory 10th year Alt...
siszzling white head starts out at 2 fingers, rapidly settles down, lacing is a bit spotty, very dark brown with ruby hightlights, light does pass through but it slows it down... the head actually dissapears completely.. not a great looking brew.

nose...
licorice ? sambuca? you can smell the alcohol under the malt, some star anise, this almost smells more like a spicy soup than beer.. really hard to put my finger on everything here, some toasted malt tones.. there is alot going on but for some reason it doesn't thrill me.

taste etc...
thick and very coating on the mouth, the carbonation is non existent almost in the mouth aside from a little prickly sensation on the back of the tongue.. this almost drinks like a barleywine with some toasted malts. you can taste a touch of the alcohol as well. mouthfeel is medium. drinkability? this one is good to split with friends after dinner.. might go nice with some chocolate.

verdict?
not bad, not great. not much to this one imo... (1,159 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19.2%

Quick notes from Tigris Beverage/g.housen Tasting earlier today. Classic tall swing-top.

Pours a pale tawny color with almost no head at all. Nose is spicy and intriguing. Spicy with lots of dark caramel, molasses and black pepper. Reminds me of a marinade (minus the vinegar aspect) for beef. Palate is a bit wanky and sharp from the alcohol and does not deliver what the nose promises. Moved on from this one quickly.

I don't think I'm a big fan of Uerige beers as this is my second mediocre reaction to them. (513 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last