Uerige Doppelsticke - Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Uerige DoppelstickeUerige Doppelsticke

Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2005)

utopiajane, Jan 14, 2014

Dirty25, Jul 16, 2014

westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 10, 2013

nodder, Jul 21, 2014

SoCaliC8, Jan 16, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Beer poured a brown color with a thick tan head that quickly diminished. Smells of sweet chocolate and caramel along with some spices and fruit.

The taste was similar, sweet with a slight bitterness. Chocolate and caramel dominate with a fruit and spice aftertaste. There is a slightly noticeable alcohol burn to it.

The beer is very smooth. It looked more carbonated than it felt. It felt like silk (if beer can feel like silk). It caught me way off guard.

I wasn't overly impressed with it, though I would try it again, but perhaps one with less alcohol. The alcohol burn and taste really detracted from the overall experience for me.

RunawayJim, Nov 13, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance - murky brown color which yielded nearly no head whatsoever

smell - cocoa, malt, dark chocolate, dark fruits, little bit of booze

taste - wheat/pumpernickel bread, dark fruits, toasted, almost burnt malt flavor to this

mouthfeel - this one is kind of hard to measure, full bodied, low carbonation, bitter aftertaste, boozy finish

drinkability - at ~$7 for a 500ML bottle, combined with the fact that this is a sipper, I gave this one a grade of 3 on drinkability. Very different beverage when compared to the Pinkus Altbier, which is the only other entrant of this style that I have tried. Good beer.

keithmurray, Dec 04, 2010
3.56/5  rDev -13.6%

Before I review this, I must admit that I totally screwed up my enjoyability for this - I purchased this so long ago, I cannot for the life of me even remember the month. There's no bottling date or best by date on this, so double lose. Nevertheless, this has an 8.5% ABV, it is bottle conditioned, and should still provide me plenty of malty goodness this late in the game. Poured into a stange glass from the coolest looking 12oz bottle there probably is. My first authentic altbier that's from Dusseldorf.

Thanks to the bottle conditioning, this pours a rather thick, cloudy mofo of a beer - dark amber, almost bronze, with a thick, creamy off-white head that is about three fingers high. It's hard to tell when holding it against the light (lots and lots of sediment and yeasty cloudiness), but the carbonation is definitely at full force here as these kinds of beers tend to be. Doesn't look too viscous, but the lacing is massive on this one. Doesn't leave any substantial stickiness, so here's hoping I can have this on tap, fresh (preferably at the brewpub).

The aroma is a malty intensity with, at this point, barely any hoppy characteristic, and with the extra ABV, shows signs commonly seen in a barleywine. Caramel, honey, raisins, dates, figs, and plums are common flavors right at the front, while clove, black pepper, and a bit of rosemary follow afterwards. The sherry notes are super obvious at this point, and while it's nothing to necessarily complain about, I always like to get a better frame of reference on how a beer like this is fresh. It's a honeyed, malty good one here, but definitely oxidized and a bit dulled. Still nice to see how's it's held up, however.

Gosh, this is a sweet one - big notes of caramel and honey immediately hit the palate, alongside the raisins and dates, but luckily it's not as oxidized as I suspected it to be. Not that I mind - the sherry (or Madeira) sweetened phenols are still full at the finish, but there's a fuller focus on the malt profile at hand. Other than the dried, sweetened fruits, there's some butterscotch, clove, hibiscus, and green tea notes at the finish. Quite herbal and earthy in the aftertaste, which makes this more on the medicinal side than preferable. Creamy, yeasty, and well carbonated. The ABV is extraordinarily well hidden thanks to the sugars, but it becomes more noticeable as it warms up. Tastes a lot like a homebrew, which usually can be a good sign in my book, and yet in this case, lacks a refined quality that I expected a little bit more given the brewery's standards.

Definitely as malty as I expected, and without a doubt a far purer altbier - a polar opposite in so many respects from the rival kölsch recipe across the Rhine. Nevertheless, I doubt we get these as fresh as I'd like in the US. The oxidized notes are obvious, and the malts are far more on the sweetened, honeyed side more than I personally enjoy it to be. Here's hoping fresher German altbiers will come into the US - for now, I will sip on this let it lay me down like the boozy malty elixir that it has become.

magictacosinus, Nov 19, 2013
3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Served into my Mad Elf tulip glass from an 11,2 oz brown bottle with a long slender neck flip top.

Very mirky,cider-like color with a reddish hue with a sudsy ring of foam a slight swirl gives it a thin creamy coating. Extra tiny bubbles stringing of the sides of the glass.

Intense malted aromas heavy carmell with a burnt edge. The booziness makes the senses tingle. Earthy with a freshly mowed grassiness.

Heavy malted tastes,lot of very sweet burnt carmell,toffee,very good balance with strong tea-like bitterness. Astrigent with an earthy/mineral feel and very boozy.

Full/thick mouthfeel,syrupy. Complex tastes more drinkable than i would have thought from first impression. Still a sipper,on the filling side. One of these is enough for me.

jcdiflorio, Oct 08, 2007
3.6/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a very dark brown color with a small but dense brown head that dissipated into a light cap. The aroma is of toasted caramel malt, fig, raisins/dates, and a bit of spice. Similar to an old ale. The taste is grainy, lightly roasted, molasses, red wine, an odd lemony twang, and rust. Not what I expected from the aroma. The feel is well bodied with moderate carbonation, finishes slightly sticky with a stale hop bitterness. A malty beverage for sure but it seems past its prime, though I'm not sure that it is. Has both good and bad characteristics, its ok, not sure I would seek out again.

Gmann, Jul 12, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -12.6%

Swingtop bottle brewed April 2006 and sampled the same month but one year later.
Poured with good bubbly, off-white head, that seemed to boil up and then simmer down. Some considerable clarity. Nice auburn and purple highlighting with the darker shades over top the beer. Aroma of esters and roting fruit with a soft malty underscore. Some suggestion of alcohol. The aftertaste lingers with strong malty notes. The flavour note as strong as it should be with the malts faded, the esters weak. The taste showcased alot of exotic fruit notes (like coconut) but oddly left your mouth feeling quite dry. This was alright, but I'm sure alot was lost with age. I'd love to be able to try this fresh (we didn't intend to age it) because I'm sure it's much better than what my first impression was... will re-review!

biegaman, May 07, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

A- Hazy, slightly translucent chocolate brown color with a small, lacy tan head.

S- Roasted malt, molasses, dark fruits - dates & figs.

T- Roasted sweet malt, molasses, dates & figs, toffee, grassy hops. Some bitterness on the finish.

M, D- This dark and weighty brew, with hints of alcohol, slows the drinking pace. The CO2 keeps it from dragging.

WhiteOak, Oct 11, 2011
3.64/5  rDev -11.7%

A- very dark amber, thin white head fades to to a very thin rim. Small flakes floating in the bottom.

S- caramel, raisins, bread, with a very prominent alcohol finish

T- Caramel and raisin, like it smells, but cut with a high bitterness. The Alt background of high bitterness is apparent and also necessary in this beer, helps keep it drinkable and smooth. Slight alcohol heat in finish.

M- carbonation is not very diffused in the beer, it finishes smooth, the alcohol thins it out a bit too

O- very full flavor, glad it only comes in 11 oz bottle

TWHartman, Jul 26, 2013
3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

This is a 33 cL swing-top bottle of Uerige Doppelsticke. I am drinking the beer from a Widmer Bros. weizen glass. The ale is cold.

Appearance: The ale has a deep hazy brown color. There is a great deal of sediment and cloudiness in the glass. There is a bit of head but not a great deal.

Smell: The ale has a musty malt flavor that reminds me of some homebrews my brother used to make. There is not much of a hop presence to balance that out though.

Taste: The flavor kicks in where the nose leaves off. The malt sweetness immediately jumps off of the tongue and provides a pleasing base. After the initial burst, I was hoping for a gradual tone-down in the malt, but the intensity continued, leaving a long sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: The malts are pleasing, but a bit more on the hop side, please.

Drinkability: Again, the maltiness is a bit much, providing too strong of a sweetness at times.

akorsak, May 13, 2006
3.66/5  rDev -11.2%

11oz Bottle received in trade with Phyl21ca - Thanks!

Appearance - Cloudy brown colour with a very small size fizzy beige coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for 1-2 minutes.

Smell - Malts, dark fruits, leather, anise

Taste & Mouth - There is a low amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, anise, and raisins. There is also some herbal notes and a nuttiness and a smokiness. It ends with a malty sweet herbal/earthy aftertaste.

Overall - An interesting beer.. kind of tastes like a dubbel/barley wine but with some gruit like flavours mixed in. Not something I'd drink a whole lot of, but points for originality.

spinrsx, Apr 24, 2013
3.68/5  rDev -10.7%

330mL swingtop bottle to stange. Bottled on 10.06, code 11.05. $7.50 for the experience.

A: Audible upon uncapping. The body is a dark mahogany brown with slightly transparent auburn edges. Two and a half fingers of very light brown foamy head is produced and has excellent staying power. Above average lacing.

S: Big toasted malt aromas and faded hops. Caramel, dark brown sugar and toffee dominate. Resin, light leather and must.

T: Dark fruits of prune with underlying plum. Rich, deep malt sweetness can almost bury the alcohol.

M: Very soft carbonation plays up thick chewy character. Tongue coating and mildly cloying, but extending the life of the flavor.

O: Good but not great. I'll probably chose to spend my money elsewhere in the future.

FeDUBBELFIST, Apr 29, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a brown color with a small head that has poor rentention and leaves little lacing on the glass. The aroma has a lot of caramel sweetness. The flavor is much less interesting than the aroma, but that's not saying much. I really don't enjoy the flavor very much. Lots of caramel. Body is moderate, the drinkability is ok.

clvand0, Jul 19, 2005

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours the expected dark hazy brown color with excellent head retention and lacing. On the nose, I get a lot of brown sugar and chocolate, but with some odd hoppy bitterness and almost a soapy componenet. The hoppy bitterness extends onto the palate - much more so then I recall when I had this beer on cask or in bottle. There is still some brown sugar and chocolate, but it's really dominated in the finish with the hoppy bitterness. It's just a bit off putting from what I normally expect in a German dopplebock. Mouthfeel is still pretty full, with a smooth, long finish. However, the alcohol is a bit more noticeable then I would like, and the bitterness, at least in this particular style of beer, is a bit obtrusive.

Interesting. I really liked this beer on cask and in bottle, but on draft, the hoppy bitterness was a bit more then I would have liked. Still a good solid beer, but not quite what I was expecting.

John_M, Mar 22, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

A: Poured from a bottle to a stange. Had a brownish-red color and a slightly cloudy consistency. There was a half inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head and good lacing.

S: Smelled of rich malts, toffee and hops.

T: Taste consisted of a strong malt presence, toffee and bitter hops in the finish. This flavor can be a little grating - at least to me - but I appreciate its complexity.

M: Well-carbonated with a dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: If you like altbiers this is one for you. This isn't necessarily one I'd return to.

avalon07, May 04, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a light mahogany color, with a one finger head and good retention. Nice lacing on the sides. Gorgeous shaped bottle, one of the coolest I've ever seen.

Aroma is sweet and bready, with notes of rum and caramel. Ripe figs are also present. On the palate, this is malty and slightly tangy. Sweetness up forn gives way to a bit of acidity from the rostmalz, and balance nicely together. Full bodied smoothly carbonated, this ia a pleaser to the toungue. Drinkability is good.

All in all, a great beer. Drinks like a alt, tastes more like a dopplebock. Well rounded, well made, and much enjoyed.

phisig137, Sep 19, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

I'd been meaning to try this for a while, and with the supplies running low, finally pulled the trigger on this lil bugger.
Love the packaging. The dark red pours majestically, a towing head rising, settling eventually with excellent sticke to the glass.
Very malty, delicious caramel aroma with some date-like action and a bit of the booze. Definitely a lot maltier than the Sticke, the bitterness is there but quickly becomes obscured in a fog of sweet malt.
Finishes sweet with a little ethanol heat on the back of the tongue. An interesting beer, the imperial altness is not quite my thing on this hot eve, but I can see its vision in the fall..a glorious glass tempting me.

dragonWhale, Jul 18, 2011
3.71/5  rDev -10%

bottle into a oversized wine glass. bottled 4-12-13

A- A hazy brownish orange. Little head that clears to a slight ring.

S- Bready with some malts.Dark fruits like raisin, prunes, fig, some light sweetness.

T- Starts with some malts, dark fruit in the middle, finish is with some light bitterness and burnt apricots.

M- Medium feel with a nice smooth body. light fizzy carbonation over the tongue

O- Nifty beer, better flavor than the smell. Not my normal style but I did enjoy it. I probably wont purchase again, more because I would rather have a good Stout.

Gryphon69, Sep 15, 2013
3.72/5  rDev -9.7%

mudboneINla, Aug 28, 2014
3.73/5  rDev -9.5%

Flip top bottle. Pours a thick dark mahogany brown with no head. Aroma of caramel malt, some dark dried fruit esters, brown sugar, yeast and bready notes fill the senses. Taste same as aroma with some sweet liquorices flavor, alcohol and mild bitter notes. Palate is a full body, sweet thick sticky mouth feel, mild carbonation. Finish is sweet caramel malt, very yeasty and bread, with some dark fruit, brown sugar, ending with a dry boozy lingering sweet bitter liquorices flavor. Overall a good strong flavorful brew.

Samp01, Jul 09, 2013
3.73/5  rDev -9.5%

A- Dark hazy amber, thin head.

S- Caramel, malty, dark fruit, faint wood.

T- Somewhat oakey? Astringent, fruity, faint caramel, vanilla.

M- Good body, crisp carbonation. Slightly astringent aftertaste.

D- A good dark alt, tho I don't recall the astringency in previous samplings. We'll have to compare these notes next time.

fartingdog, Oct 02, 2007