Join our email list →

Germany | website

Altbier | 8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2005

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

0.33L
Bottled on 11 04

Release of the swingtop resulted in a resounding deep pop
Poured into my Ayinger Weizen glass since I didn’t have a stange
Here is one heck of a glorious bottle. Its art in glass.

Appearance – dark amber body with ever-present rising carbonation; 2.5-inch thick, creamy-topped, off-white head sets back but it always guarded the beer; lace is commendable

Smell – wow; doughy sweetness and prune interwine; bit of molasses, spice and candy; subtle hop

Taste – earth, dark fruit and light candy with a subtle hop tinge; seems to have mellowed nicely with a few months under its belt; barely any alcohol present; aftertaste is a balance of dark fruit and hop early with an added bitterness reminiscent of Hallertauer winning late

Mouthfeel – low carbonation is used to the max to create a rich and lush feel; resoundingly dry at close

Drinkability – the dry close has me immediately diving for more but it does detract somewhat from the overall experience; the smell/taste/feel package comes together nicely

Yes! Now this is an incredible brew. Two thumbs up to Uerige!

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: dark cloudy amber with thick lacing on top.

Smell: Assertive malt character: nuts, toffee, brown sugar. Also some light fruit esters.

Taste: Smooth and complex malt character up front. Nice and thick, flavor comes in layers of toffee, chocolate, amber malts.

Drinkability: One of the best beers I've ever had; easy to drink and complex.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance: Pours with half-finger head that quickly settles into a quarter-finger. White color. Lacing is very spotty, and fairly transient. Body is an extremely dark brown that resists light.

Smell: Nuts, deep roasted malts, raisins, figs, vinousity. Some woody funk. Alcohol. Pepper, basil or thyme, can't discern which. Overall very Old Ale-like, and fairly bold and strong. Not too subtle.

Taste: Raisins, vinousity, mild bittering hops. Yeasty funk. Wood. Dates. A fairly strong mix of flavors, but it does a good job at balance.

Mouthfeel: A little flat, but still bodied enough to make a difference.

Drinkability: Not too hard to drink, surprisingly, given its strength.

A- pours a dark brown with a white creamy head, that did not retain exceptionally well but in turn did lace nicely

S-Smells of primarily of sweet malt, along with a light yeast smell as well, little bit of raisin in there as well

T- at first a noticable taste af sweet malt followed by a nice hoppy bite, very balanced in both aspects

M- low carbonation, moderate heavy body as far as thickness goes, sticky mouth feel

D-I like it, its full of flavor, and fairly easy to drink, will most definitely pick up more of these

4.52/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A: pours a muddy brown, very sudsy 1/2 finger head
S: roasted malts, subtle hints of powdered cocoa, heavy general malt presence, the strongest aroma here is that of a funky dry cheese I could swear it smells just like pecorino Romano (oddly not a bad thing), subtle hints of pine and lemon
T: prominent hoppy bitterness and astringency (though not astringent in a negative sense), dry, roasty, malty, somewhat funky in keeping with the Romano aroma, pine, a lemon aftertaste
M: dry and astringent, full bodied, powdery
O: great, the first wow beer I have had in a long time, quite strange really, not something you would think you could drink often (and you probably shouldn't) but I could drink this frequently, in a word ... Excellent

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Really interesting bottle with a bottled date of May 2007.
Poured a deep mahogany with small head that thinned quickly.
Smelled caramel malt and raisins. I could smell the sweetness.
The taste was sweet with caramel and raisins maybe some ripe dark fruits. The alcohol was prevalent and more so as the beer warmed.
Had medium carbonation.
I will try this again but I was a little disappointed as far as the experience didn't live up the expectations.

4.34/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Won't tell you how long this has sat in my fridge. It's just criminal.

Cola colored. Pancake batter head that came up half an inch and shrunk down to a persistent ring. Doesn't lace, but slides down the glass slooowly. Smells like prunes, booze, smoke and some sharp chillies.

Powerful flavor. Hoppy? Didn't see that coming in such strength. Quite bitter in a resinous way. Well and malty. I suppose we're pulling some bitterness from malt, too. A wee nutty and smoky. The alcohol warmed my sinuses nicely. It bites a little, but not in a bad way.

Thick and viscous. Very little carbonation. I'll be looking for more, and pretty damn interested in trying the other alts from Uerige.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Labeled as 8,5% Alc./Vol. Code 09.09 (bottling date?)

A bit on the hazy side, this beer pours a rich chocolate brown with heavy sediment. Any head quickly collapses to nothing. Aroma is definitely malty sweet bordering on vinous. Alcohol is subtle but mostly hidden behind fig, plum, sour fruits and a heavy malt-centric backbone.

Sweet hits the tongue first and the palate is then bombarded by a complex malt stew. It's tough to describe exactly what is going on here. It's certainly enjoyable though. Figs and roasty plums come to mind. A bit earthy but so sweet that it seems impossible to discern various flavors. Reminiscent of a young barleywine, this Alt has me grabbing at straws trying to describe it. Sweet yet bitter. Complex yet simply smooth. High alcohol shows no signs other than after effects.

A bit of a mouth takeover in it's flavor and mouthfeel. It seems to coat everything that it touches. Delightful but not sessionable. This beer makes me wish to get in touch with more Alt style beers.

4.02/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a hazy chestnut with a two finger white head that soon dissipates to a ring around the glass, then dissolves altogether. Smell is pretty identical to a doppelbock, besides a latex like smell which isn't real appealing. Maple sweetness and bready malt sweetness combine with a coffee smell and a nuttiness to create a very sweet, yet earthy aroma. A little detectable alcohol is there.

Taste is pretty similar to the smell. It's very difficult to distinguish this from a doppelbock. There are hardly any ale-like characteristics at all actually, as I don't detect any fruit, and the finish is very clean and lager-like. A nice nuttiness lingers on in the finish. The mouthfeel is pretty crisp but loses carbonation toward the end of the glass and becomes too watery, which hinders the drinkability a bit. Overall this is a very solid offering.

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

This beer is mother's milk to me!

brought to me courtesy of brentk56...THANK YOU!

poured a beautiful deep amber/rust color into my HB stick.

The smell is rich with raisins, molasses, and sweeter malt.

The taste is all molasses, toffee, raisins, plum, and a little red apple.

mouthfeel is super creamy and smooth.

Fantastic beer. just absolutely awesome.

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours like a dark amber maple syrup from Vermont. Smooth yet viscous. The aroma is a killer and as soon as I popped the swing top, I was hit with a wall of caramel malt with a nice hop backing. Quite nice.

This is certainly a large bier and one that will do well in the US market for which it was made. It is much sweeter and hopier than the normal Uerige. Balance-wise, a little too sweet if I must say. Approaching a Dopplebock in style, like a Salvator.

This has great potential and even though I am enjoying this very much, I would assume that some tinkering will be done in susequent years to balance this a little better.

Still an amazing bier.

4.07/5  rDev -1%

Nice big pop from top. Poured with a glug,glug,glug from the long neck bottle. Look was very dark red to black. Nice frothy head. Good lacing.

Smell was burnt biscuit, sweet malt, Belgium candi sugar, spicy hops, fruity notes from yeast.

Taste woody notes, perfect sweetness, toasted malts, Nice hop profile lends a great bitterness. Almost perfectly balanced. Alcohol content well hidden.
Mouthfeel Silky smooth. Medium body.

This was a great beer, I thought it was outstanding and what all altbiers should aspire to be.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured out of a very unique bottle, this beer is about the color of a glass of Coke. As I got down to the bottom of the glass small protein particles were noticeable. It smells malty and bready and the same goes for the taste, with a bit of raisin. It's different from any altbier I've had; it tastes more like a doppelbock. Overall it's an easy drinking beer with a hint of alcohol. It's good but I don't know if I'd go out searching for it again, I'd reach for a quality doppelbock instead.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a dark auburn/brown, topping off with a nice finger and half of head. As the foam dissipates a good amount of sticky lacing is left behind.
The nose is a nice blend of sweet malt, dried fruit, toffee.
The taste is very similar to the nose, sweet dark malts, raisin & prune. There is also enough hoppy bitterness to balance out the sweetness wonderfully.
Very pleasing to drink, the malty sweetness doesn't leave your mouth coated, just enough carbonation to keep the tongue happy.

This is a beautiful Alt. This is a huge beer, that hides its size wonderfully. It balance between the dark and sweet malt flavors and the hoppy undertones marry perfectly. This is a wonderful sipper, that I would buy again without hesitation.

2.77/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Looks like chocolate milk. Very dark hazy brown. Lacing is there but not extremely prominent. Some sediment floating around.

Smells of plums, raisin, and wine with a pungent alcohol smell.

The taste is almost exactly like the smell. Very deep raisin/bread taste. Theres a hint of smokiness as well. The alcohol is there but not overpowering. Mouthfeel is very sticky, slightly carbonated. The taste lingers LONG after you've swallowed.

This beer is a bit hard for me to drink. But, I can't say it's really my style of beer. I can appreciate it for what it is, though. I'd like to try some other beers of this style.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

A- Dark hazy amber, thin head.

S- Caramel, malty, dark fruit, faint wood.

T- Somewhat oakey? Astringent, fruity, faint caramel, vanilla.

M- Good body, crisp carbonation. Slightly astringent aftertaste.

D- A good dark alt, tho I don't recall the astringency in previous samplings. We'll have to compare these notes next time.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

A - Dark dark opaque brown with a small tan foamy head and some lacing. Looks pleasantly syrupy.

S - Resinous, dark fruits. Dates, rasin, plum, bordering on sweet, but not cloyingly so.

T/M - Tastes like it smells, but with a nice thick malty aftertaste. There's some cocoa flavor in there somewhere. Again, there's a very dark fruity flavor, that's almost sweet, but not quite. This beer is very thick and syrupy.

D - Not very. This is a wonderful beer and a pleasure to drink, but I'd have a hard time drinking more than one.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 5- 2014. Poured into a nonic.

A- Thick off-white head, about one finger, tight bubbles. Murky red and brown appearance.

S-Heavy molasses and prunes. Dark chocolate-covered cherries

T- Malty, pleasantly bitter. Lots of roast flavors- but I expected more based on the variety of aromas. To me, not overly sweet.

M- Needs more carbonation. Smooth feel, but maybe a little flat. The hop bitterness lingers for a long time on the back of the tongue.

O- Great aromas and appearance, but a little disappointing in the mouth. Stick with the regular alt- I had a much better experience with that one.

4.9/5  rDev +19.2%

This bottle is so freakin' cool. I can't stop looking at it.

Popped the top and didn't shoot my eye out. Oh wait, maybe cuz the stopper is attached. Those Germans think of everything.

Dark walnut liquid with a super thick, dense, creamy head that will not dissipate. Sip after sip it retains it's consistency.

The aroma of this beer reminds me of a bakery. Sweet caramel, figs, almonds, toffee.

Malty, sweet raisins, caramel, and brown sugar with just enough bitterness to keep it in check. Huge mouthfeel. Thick, chewey.

Outstanding!

4.48/5  rDev +9%

I love the Uerige swingtops, they are as attractive as the brew within!

Pours a dark brown with some red highlights and a nice thick head.

Smell is malty, floral, with honey-caramel tones.

Taste is bitter up front, followed by a very creamy and bready malt taste that coats the mouth. Finishes with more bitterness followed by sweet lingering malt. What an amazing body, with very little evidence of the high alcohol.

Very drinkable, very very tasty indeed.

Initially bought this bier because of the cool bottle...and I'm a doppelsticke fan.
A: pours a dark amber color, mild carbonation, no sediment noted. A small, 1-inch head is formed that dies down after a few minutes. Nice looking bier.
S: A soft sweet smell. A little chocolate mixed with something else I cannot name. No real coffee smell or hint.
T: A nice, sweet (not too much), almost chocolate milk taste with no after taste. With the higher alocohol content (8.2), you don't get the hard liquor taste that you do with others like this. Pretty easy to drink, which can be dangerous.
M: Nothing bad about this bier.
D: Overall, this is a bier I would recommend to my friends. It packs a punch, but tastes good, is easy going down, and a pleasure to enjoy. Plus the bottle is cool.

Enjoy one, Prosit!

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

A- very nice. I poured into a lambic glass but hey, big tan head. deep brown, slightly red in the light.
S- yummy. very sweet, honey, dark fruits, brown sugar.
T-carmalized, slightly burnt, dark fruits, honey, brown sugar.
M-ok, the sweetness could become cloying, medium body. I could always go for less carbonation so...
D- one was good

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

~ Purchased this bottle from Big Z Beverage in Huntington, NY. This beer pours a dark brown with almost no head. The aroma consists of dark fruits, caramel, malt sweetness, and some spices. The taste is very similar to its smell. At 8.5% ABV, this went down surprisingly very smooth.

All in all, this is a beer that is rich, bold, flavorful, and tastes great- what more could you ask for? ~

So I've never really been much of a German beer drinker. I would always get turned off on trying them because I would always hear people talking about how German beer were the best. I did not want to feel like I was just jumping on the band wagon. Seeing this unique bottle in the store caught my eye. When I saw "Product of Germany" on the label I felt that I needed to pick it up since it wouldn't be my normal beer choice. I mean a brewery thats been making beer since 1862 can't be making bad beer. I also got to mix it up now and then as there are too many beers out their to stick to just a few. So lets get on with it then.

So popping the gasket and puring this thing in a glass leaves me with a nice full glass of a dark amber beer. Not a lot of head forms and the little that does fades away quite quickly. Taking a whiff and does this thing smell nice. There is a very alluring sweet malty smell and I cannot wait to take a sip. Wow, this beer is mighty tasty. This beer is hard for me to describe in terms of flavor. In order to describe it somehow I would have to say this beer is very sweet and malty very much in sync with the smell but a little more complex. The first couple of sips have a nice bitterness to it that quickly fades as you progress though the beer. There is also a sharp finish that is hitting me in the rough of my mouth. The mouth feel is nice as this beer does not have much carbonation to it.

Overall I really like this beer. It has a nice flavor, even if I cannot describe it properly, and is a full bodied beer. I like everything about this beer even down do the funky gasket bottle. I'm definitely going to be picking up another one of these. So this is definitely not my first German beer and definitely not my last. Germans can make a great glass of bubbly brew. My local beer store is selling these for $5.99 a bottle. Pick one up.

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottled on 06/03 which means this is 8 years old. Dark mahogany color, creamy head. Sweet smell of malts, supposedly this is an Altbier but it smells like a Dopplebock. Taste is great and exceptional, fruits maybe raisins. Nice caramel malts and a great sweet brew. Outstanding.

Uerige Doppelsticke from Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei