Uerige Doppelsticke - Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Uerige DoppelstickeUerige Doppelsticke

Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2005)
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

Maillard, Jun 07, 2014
3.16/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I poured a bottle into a thistle glass.

Appearance- Cloudy dark brown color with a half a fingers worth of head. Light amount of runny lacing. It has a small amount of chalk like yeast residue in the bottom of the glass.

Smell- Malty sweet smell with caramel, raisin, and fig aromas.

Taste- Very sweet with a strong flavor of figs and raisins. There are also hints of caramel and toffee.

Mouthfeel- Thick and sticky feeling. An average amount of carbonation.

Overall- I didn't care for this beer. The aromas and flavors were good but it was a bit too sweet for me. I also didn't care for the excessively thick and sticky mouthfeel.

scratch69, Jun 01, 2014

drinkAK, May 30, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Undated bottle at 45 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma of malt
Head average (3 cm), light brown, creamy, slowly diminishing to 2 mm layer
Lacing excellent, covering the inside with mostly small bubbles
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor begins with marked sweet malt presence with a burst of hop bitterness which quickly fades back into the malt backbone; no alcohol, no diacetyl. Ends slightly bitter.
Palate medium to full, creamy, lively carbonation.

Definitely sticke – a malt-heavy altbier that I could drink all day. Its appearance is outstanding, saying “Trink” while its flavor makes you want to drain the glass (or bottle or tap). A lovely malt bomb!

Ozzylizard, May 24, 2014

Kerne, May 21, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

Smarty_Pints, May 19, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

nmann08, May 16, 2014
3.3/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I got this 11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle at Lukas Liquor in Colorado. I love the design of it; it's a swingtop with a really narrow neck. Certainly a uniquely shaped bottle. Reviewed as a doppelsticke (not to be confused with an altbier). "Bottled on 10/17/12." That's one of the hardest bottled-on dates I've ever tried to read, and it's curious that they don't use the European dating format. Maybe they label export bottles differently?

Served cold into a Spaten stangenglas in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high; I'll be at Uerige in a couple days so I'm excited to review this before going.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Three fingers in width. Pale khaki colour. Nice soft complexion and even consistency. Fluffy and frothy, to style. Retention is excellent for the high ABV - about 10 minutes. Leaves lacing on the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

BODY: Dark brown amber colour. Nontransparent, nontranslucent. No floating yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Appears well-carbonated. Looks good and malty for sticke. I'm excited to try it.

AROMA: Quite malty, with plenty of German amber malts and brown malts. I get caramel, as well as ample sticky fruitiness. Cream. Toffee. Mulled applesauce. Figs. Mushy raisins. The sticky fruity notes play well with the intense malts. Fruited bread.

I don't find any overt hop character or yeast notes. No alcohol presence is notable.

It's a pleasing aroma of moderate strength. Certainly on the sweeter end, but appealing.

TEXTURE: Smooth and wet, but very thick and heavy on the palate without being syrupy. It's got definite weight and heft, and has a powerful filling presence on the palate. Aptly carbonated. Sticky.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

TASTE: Caramalt, hints of plum, heavy fig, sticky mushy raisins and raisinbread, dark amber malts, and caramel. Kisses of toffee and even some Christmasy spice. It's quite bready - though I suppose that's a product of both its taste and its filling texture. Molasses.

Average depth and duration of flavour. High intensity of flavour for a sticke.

Balanced? Hmm. Not quite. The sweetness is a bit much, and the fig dominance a bit too obvious. There's little in terms of hop bitterness to balance the sweetness. It's a complex, layered beer, sure, but a bit more subtlety would be welcome. Not the most intricate or nuanced beer. I do like it, and it's great to see a rich German ale out there.

Develops as it comes to temperature. The heavy malty element of this beer reminds me of a doppelbock.

OVERALL: It's a very filling rich heavy beer, which limits its drinkability. But I do enjoy it and I'll have no trouble finishing it. Still, it's nice to see a brewery include a swintop on a higher alcohol beer; I wish most American imperial stouts had swingtops. It's far from the best sticke or altbier I've had, but it's well worth trying once, and has a flavour profile that is certainly rare, if not unique. I couldn't pound this by the stange at Uerige, but I think there's a reason they don't serve it there. This would be a nice treat during the wintertime.

Low B-

carlitosbronson1, Apr 20, 2014

Wobbly, Apr 19, 2014

Gregwa, Apr 13, 2014
3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

This brew shows a dark and hazy mahogany color with a decent but delicate light tan head and a sure cascading lace. The aroma offers deep caramel maple malt with a subtle grassy edge. Maybe a little chocolate licorice to boot. Nice. The flavor climaxes with an intense sweet licorice malt and more grassy hops. There's a bit of rhubarb tartness and deep root beer flavor. It is a little sweeter than I normally like but it's tolerable as you enjoy the combined flavors. It finishes a bit harsh at the back of the palate with a modest carbonation and a smooth feel from this medium bodied brew. I would say that there's a cloying quality here that interferes with the enjoyment but they get kudos for big flavor.

Durge, Apr 04, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +15%

afsdan, Mar 23, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Surprise find at Nathaniel Square Corner Store, in Rochester, NY. 2009 vintage, looks like it was released for Uerige's 150 year anniversary. Really excited to try this. Poured into my Rooster Fish snifter.

Pours hard with crackling carbonation, and small amounts of sediment. A inch light fizzy head forms. Random streaks of lacing form on the glass on the way down. Fairly cloudy.

Smells like toasted malt, slight bit of oxidation, must, and grass.

Tastes incredible. Rich, toasty bread, caramel, toffee, grass, slight bitterness, honey, slight dusty must like flavors. The hop flavors 5 years later are basically kaput, with some pleasant light grassiness remaining.

Full mouthfeel, low carbonation. Goes down pretty easily.

This might be the oldest beer I've ever consumed. It was amazing- the strong altbier had turned into a rich barley-wine like ale, almost like a very dry old ale. Some oxidation was present, but it didn't really detract. One of the best beers I've ever had.

GreesyFizeek, Mar 21, 2014
4.23/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 330 ml bottle (with a cool stopper-type closure and a date code that says 04/13) into a pokal.

A-A gentle pour produces about a finger of light-khaki-colored head. Retention is decent as a cap hangs around for a while and leaves spots of lacing. The beer is muddy and the color of swamp water. It is nearly opaque, but I cannot see much carbonation in there.

S-The aroma is huge on the malts with sweet, dried fruit like raisins and prunes, and sugary flavors like toffee, caramel, and molasses. It is very sweet and the alcohol gives just a bit of burn in the nostrils. This is a big beer.

T-The taste follows the smell with malt flavors like caramel, brown sugar, prunes, and cocoa. The fruit component is still here, but is toned down a bit. There is a bit of spice on the finish and a warm alcohol. I do not detect much in the way of hops. The beer reminds me of a quadruple or BSDA.

M-The beer is robust on the palate and very smooth with creamy carbonation. The amount of carbonation here is below average.

O-My limited experience with other altbiers was nothing like this. Whereas those other beers were mellow and lighter in body, this beer is hugely complex and substantial...a real sipper. I kept thinking I was drinking a quad or a hopped-up dubbel because the malt profile was so huge and similar in flavor. I'm not sure how true to style this beer is, but I really enjoyed it and would definitely drink more.

spoony, Mar 21, 2014

thkrb99, Mar 12, 2014
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

From the bottle into the closest glass I had to a stange.

Well, the appearance threw me for a loop with all the sediment, so I had to check the bottle for dates. I see a botted in 12/11 which I assume means this is from November of 2012 and thus almost a year and a half old. Ah well, I'm still going for it. Besides the sediment, there's a quarter-finger of fizzy, cream white head. The beer's got a muddy brown color and looks a bit murky with a slow trickly of carbonation. I'm not too impressed.

Now, are doppelstickes barleywines? I seem to remember reading a suggestion of that sort somewhere. I can smell the similarities here; this smells like a barleywine. I get a spiciness with the strong, bready malt aroma. There's something almost vinous there, or maybe that's just dark raisins. Maybe it's port. It's hard for me to pin down but again, it's similar to many barleywines I've had recently.

I'll finally take a sip, still slightly nervous about the sheer amount of floaties. Well, I'm not dead. I get again, a huge raisin taste, something that again suggests a port to me. There's a highly sweet malt flavor giving off some caramel and toffee notes and contributing to a thick, creamy body. However, the beer finishes very dry, with a slight hint of alcohol much like I'd expect from a wine. Actually, the hop is quite bitter too, making me realize there are more hops in here than I'd have assumed.

My rating will be skewed as a result of the appearance, which really didn't appeal to me, but I otherwise found this beer to be good and presenting a lot of different aromas and flavors. I'd like to try this more often and perhaps much fresher to determine whether my rating reserves an adjustment. Still, I'm a fan.

ONovoMexicano, Mar 11, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -33.4%

Hevkee, Mar 10, 2014

Stoutmeister, Mar 09, 2014

DavidHume, Mar 08, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

xungmound98, Mar 04, 2014
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

It's been a long time in coming to finally get around to my first Uerige altbier. Didn't realize at the time I purchased this that this one is the doppel version. That's okay, but I'll have to make sure I sample the other one too. Still rated #2 in category with a beer with less than 50 samples out scoring it (there should be a higher minimim, IMHO).
Looks like bottled on date of 01.11
Poured into my Pilsner Urquell glass (closest to a stange that I have in my beer glassware).
Heavier malt character with a touch of oxidation on this one. Slightly sweet with a some caramel. Hops quite subdued. Apparent alcohol.
Even with an aggressive pour it is hard to get a head of 1/4 inch, however, it did decide to hang around for a bit. and showed some lacing. Quite cloudy, really with a brownish color overall.
Less aged noted on taste, but it is still there. Nice complex drink. Very smooth blending of complex malt, alcohol and soft but apparent hopping. Some lingering on the finish but it does fade. The middle of the drink is the highlight. Oxidation most noted up front then the malt complexity kicks in with a tough of sweetness, caramel, heavier toast and a stream of hop flavors produce a very enjoyable mix.
Lighter body for bigger beer, with a smooth carbonation and overall smooth feel.
Nice beer. I wish I had a younger sample. The stales distracts on the intake. Yet can still imagine what a fresh version would be. Will seek out a younger one in time.

garymuchow, Mar 02, 2014