Uerige Doppelsticke - Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Uerige DoppelstickeUerige Doppelsticke

Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2005)
3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

This brew shows a dark and hazy mahogany color with a decent but delicate light tan head and a sure cascading lace. The aroma offers deep caramel maple malt with a subtle grassy edge. Maybe a little chocolate licorice to boot. Nice. The flavor climaxes with an intense sweet licorice malt and more grassy hops. There's a bit of rhubarb tartness and deep root beer flavor. It is a little sweeter than I normally like but it's tolerable as you enjoy the combined flavors. It finishes a bit harsh at the back of the palate with a modest carbonation and a smooth feel from this medium bodied brew. I would say that there's a cloying quality here that interferes with the enjoyment but they get kudos for big flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Surprise find at Nathaniel Square Corner Store, in Rochester, NY. 2009 vintage, looks like it was released for Uerige's 150 year anniversary. Really excited to try this. Poured into my Rooster Fish snifter.

Pours hard with crackling carbonation, and small amounts of sediment. A inch light fizzy head forms. Random streaks of lacing form on the glass on the way down. Fairly cloudy.

Smells like toasted malt, slight bit of oxidation, must, and grass.

Tastes incredible. Rich, toasty bread, caramel, toffee, grass, slight bitterness, honey, slight dusty must like flavors. The hop flavors 5 years later are basically kaput, with some pleasant light grassiness remaining.

Full mouthfeel, low carbonation. Goes down pretty easily.

This might be the oldest beer I've ever consumed. It was amazing- the strong altbier had turned into a rich barley-wine like ale, almost like a very dry old ale. Some oxidation was present, but it didn't really detract. One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 330 ml bottle (with a cool stopper-type closure and a date code that says 04/13) into a pokal.

A-A gentle pour produces about a finger of light-khaki-colored head. Retention is decent as a cap hangs around for a while and leaves spots of lacing. The beer is muddy and the color of swamp water. It is nearly opaque, but I cannot see much carbonation in there.

S-The aroma is huge on the malts with sweet, dried fruit like raisins and prunes, and sugary flavors like toffee, caramel, and molasses. It is very sweet and the alcohol gives just a bit of burn in the nostrils. This is a big beer.

T-The taste follows the smell with malt flavors like caramel, brown sugar, prunes, and cocoa. The fruit component is still here, but is toned down a bit. There is a bit of spice on the finish and a warm alcohol. I do not detect much in the way of hops. The beer reminds me of a quadruple or BSDA.

M-The beer is robust on the palate and very smooth with creamy carbonation. The amount of carbonation here is below average.

O-My limited experience with other altbiers was nothing like this. Whereas those other beers were mellow and lighter in body, this beer is hugely complex and substantial...a real sipper. I kept thinking I was drinking a quad or a hopped-up dubbel because the malt profile was so huge and similar in flavor. I'm not sure how true to style this beer is, but I really enjoyed it and would definitely drink more.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

From the bottle into the closest glass I had to a stange.

Well, the appearance threw me for a loop with all the sediment, so I had to check the bottle for dates. I see a botted in 12/11 which I assume means this is from November of 2012 and thus almost a year and a half old. Ah well, I'm still going for it. Besides the sediment, there's a quarter-finger of fizzy, cream white head. The beer's got a muddy brown color and looks a bit murky with a slow trickly of carbonation. I'm not too impressed.

Now, are doppelstickes barleywines? I seem to remember reading a suggestion of that sort somewhere. I can smell the similarities here; this smells like a barleywine. I get a spiciness with the strong, bready malt aroma. There's something almost vinous there, or maybe that's just dark raisins. Maybe it's port. It's hard for me to pin down but again, it's similar to many barleywines I've had recently.

I'll finally take a sip, still slightly nervous about the sheer amount of floaties. Well, I'm not dead. I get again, a huge raisin taste, something that again suggests a port to me. There's a highly sweet malt flavor giving off some caramel and toffee notes and contributing to a thick, creamy body. However, the beer finishes very dry, with a slight hint of alcohol much like I'd expect from a wine. Actually, the hop is quite bitter too, making me realize there are more hops in here than I'd have assumed.

My rating will be skewed as a result of the appearance, which really didn't appeal to me, but I otherwise found this beer to be good and presenting a lot of different aromas and flavors. I'd like to try this more often and perhaps much fresher to determine whether my rating reserves an adjustment. Still, I'm a fan.

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

It's been a long time in coming to finally get around to my first Uerige altbier. Didn't realize at the time I purchased this that this one is the doppel version. That's okay, but I'll have to make sure I sample the other one too. Still rated #2 in category with a beer with less than 50 samples out scoring it (there should be a higher minimim, IMHO).
Looks like bottled on date of 01.11
Poured into my Pilsner Urquell glass (closest to a stange that I have in my beer glassware).
Heavier malt character with a touch of oxidation on this one. Slightly sweet with a some caramel. Hops quite subdued. Apparent alcohol.
Even with an aggressive pour it is hard to get a head of 1/4 inch, however, it did decide to hang around for a bit. and showed some lacing. Quite cloudy, really with a brownish color overall.
Less aged noted on taste, but it is still there. Nice complex drink. Very smooth blending of complex malt, alcohol and soft but apparent hopping. Some lingering on the finish but it does fade. The middle of the drink is the highlight. Oxidation most noted up front then the malt complexity kicks in with a tough of sweetness, caramel, heavier toast and a stream of hop flavors produce a very enjoyable mix.
Lighter body for bigger beer, with a smooth carbonation and overall smooth feel.
Nice beer. I wish I had a younger sample. The stales distracts on the intake. Yet can still imagine what a fresh version would be. Will seek out a younger one in time.

4.16/5  rDev +1%

Uerige doppelsticke on tap served in snifter

Dark mahogany brown with a one finger foam cap that quickly settles into a ring around the edge.

Aroma of fig, deep rich malt

Full mouthfeel, smooth, fig and tobacco , malt , gentle carbonation , can taste the alcohol

Good beer

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

3.5/5  rDev -15%

3.5/5  rDev -15%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.56/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Before I review this, I must admit that I totally screwed up my enjoyability for this - I purchased this so long ago, I cannot for the life of me even remember the month. There's no bottling date or best by date on this, so double lose. Nevertheless, this has an 8.5% ABV, it is bottle conditioned, and should still provide me plenty of malty goodness this late in the game. Poured into a stange glass from the coolest looking 12oz bottle there probably is. My first authentic altbier that's from Dusseldorf.

Thanks to the bottle conditioning, this pours a rather thick, cloudy mofo of a beer - dark amber, almost bronze, with a thick, creamy off-white head that is about three fingers high. It's hard to tell when holding it against the light (lots and lots of sediment and yeasty cloudiness), but the carbonation is definitely at full force here as these kinds of beers tend to be. Doesn't look too viscous, but the lacing is massive on this one. Doesn't leave any substantial stickiness, so here's hoping I can have this on tap, fresh (preferably at the brewpub).

The aroma is a malty intensity with, at this point, barely any hoppy characteristic, and with the extra ABV, shows signs commonly seen in a barleywine. Caramel, honey, raisins, dates, figs, and plums are common flavors right at the front, while clove, black pepper, and a bit of rosemary follow afterwards. The sherry notes are super obvious at this point, and while it's nothing to necessarily complain about, I always like to get a better frame of reference on how a beer like this is fresh. It's a honeyed, malty good one here, but definitely oxidized and a bit dulled. Still nice to see how's it's held up, however.

Gosh, this is a sweet one - big notes of caramel and honey immediately hit the palate, alongside the raisins and dates, but luckily it's not as oxidized as I suspected it to be. Not that I mind - the sherry (or Madeira) sweetened phenols are still full at the finish, but there's a fuller focus on the malt profile at hand. Other than the dried, sweetened fruits, there's some butterscotch, clove, hibiscus, and green tea notes at the finish. Quite herbal and earthy in the aftertaste, which makes this more on the medicinal side than preferable. Creamy, yeasty, and well carbonated. The ABV is extraordinarily well hidden thanks to the sugars, but it becomes more noticeable as it warms up. Tastes a lot like a homebrew, which usually can be a good sign in my book, and yet in this case, lacks a refined quality that I expected a little bit more given the brewery's standards.

Definitely as malty as I expected, and without a doubt a far purer altbier - a polar opposite in so many respects from the rival kölsch recipe across the Rhine. Nevertheless, I doubt we get these as fresh as I'd like in the US. The oxidized notes are obvious, and the malts are far more on the sweetened, honeyed side more than I personally enjoy it to be. Here's hoping fresher German altbiers will come into the US - for now, I will sip on this let it lay me down like the boozy malty elixir that it has become.

2.5/5  rDev -39.3%