Uerige Altbier - Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Uerige AltbierUerige Altbier

Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  4.70% ABV

Uerige Alt ist das an Bitterstoffen reichste Bier Deutschlands. Trotzdem (oder gerade darum) ist dieses legendäre Düsseldorfer Altbier so vollmundig, aromatisch und bekömmlich.

Gebraut wird unsere obergärige Spezialität seit 1862 aus Gerstenmalz, Caramelmalz, Röstmalz, Doldenhopfen, Wasser – und mit unserer ganz besonderen Uerige-Hefe.

Unser Uerige Alt wird regelmäßig unter die zehn besten Biere Deutschlands gewählt. Es hat einen Alkoholgehalt von 4,7% und ein Mindestfrischedatum von acht Wochen.

(Beer added by: Longstaff on 10-01-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Mitchster

1.63/5  rDev -59%

$3.49 for a 11.2 oz bottle at Merchant's. Pours out to a medium amber, burnt orange, forming a modest off-white soapy head with poor retention and absent lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is difficult to pick up as it is quite weak, bit there is lightly soured caramel and sweetened condensed milk with an otherwise clean ferment. The mouthfeel is smooth and light bodied with a woody dry finish. The taste is quite odd..there is a wierd chemical taste to it that I haven't tasted in a beer before...it tastes very medicinal and perfumy and soapy. Moderate woodsy bitterness.

I don't know what to make of this beer, but it's not good. I wouldn't buy it or recommend it. This beer tastes like carcinogens and death. Down the drain 1/3 of the way into it.

08-12-2006 21:54:35 | More by Mitchster
Jimbo87

1.68/5  rDev -57.8%

I didn't notice this until after I drank it. But it says bottled on 05.03. Regarless of whether that is month then year, day then month, etc, this is old. But if either of those stands for year, then this is insanely old, and that could explain my experience. Here is what I wrote as I drank this:

"Dark but somewhat clear. Smells of sweet chocolate, grain. Smells very sweet.

Taste is surprisingly dry. Not sweet. Can taste chocolate note. Followed by a medicinal, bitterness. Bitterness nearly unpleasant. Medicinal aftertaste lingers in a bad way. It almost seems like something is wrong with it.

As I sip on, I'm realizing I hate this. It's making me nauseous. I understand that drain pouring seems wrong, but I feel like I'm drinking poison. Such a bitter aftertaste but not from hops. Now I feel it smells overwhelmingly of a sickly sweetlike smell that I hate. Nauseating. But honestly, I might be hating the smell now just because I'm associating it with this awful taste.

OK, I think I've settled down. I'm not going to die. This is probably not dangerous to drink, but I have an extremely strong feeling that this is not what this is supposed to taste like. I feel like this beer went bad. But it's not skunked. The "skunked" taste is delicious next to this nasty poison aftertaste."

That was a few hours ago. I was actually worried that some crazy person poured snake venom or something into this and that I might die. The only reason I don't really think that's possible is that there was such a fresh pop sound as I opened the bottle. The bottle is awesome, by the way.

I really wanted to like this. Honestly. I almost ordered an altbier glass just for this. I was looking forward to tasting a new style. But this ended up being the worst beer experience I've ever had, by far. This must have gotten infected or something. Or maybe age just makes this beer revolting.

I don't think many people will ever have this experience. It wasn't like "I hate the taste of this beer because it's too hoppy/sweet/sour/etc," it was truly "I'm not sure if this is toxic or not."

I'll try it fresh one day. But I'll be extremely nervous when I do.

03-05-2009 04:48:54 | More by Jimbo87
jstilwell

1.73/5  rDev -56.5%

Tried a sample at Bogies Beer and Wine beer -n- chocolate tasting.

Stepped out last minute with a buddy to pick up a few things and grab some samples. Its actually been a while since I offered up a negative review...Here goes:

Pour is clear amber copper with an off white head. Not much aroma here, a bit peppery with maybe some mild nut undertones. Time for the taste, not good. My pal greg spontaneously uttered, "Tastes like a telephone pole" which was agreed upon by some surrounding sippers. This is dry, thin, unpleasant, and unique...in a bad a way. There is a taste in there somewhat reminiscent of rye, but almost like chemicals or shoe polish or something. No drain to dump 3oz. sample so we sucked it up.

As I look at the postive reviews, I can only imagine this does not hold up well, and is far better fresh or on tap.

drinkability? HAHAHAHAHAHA

ygtbsm94

01-10-2014 07:55:12 | More by ygtbsm94
JLeege

2.1/5  rDev -47.2%

From notes. Poured into a stange.

Appearance- Hazy brown, with a large foamy head. Decent retention and a little lace. The color of this beer is pretty unattractive.

Smell- Caramel, slightly toasty, a touch grainy, and a bit sweaty.

Taste- Raison, slight caramel, dirty earth, a hint of chocolate, and a sweaty almost salty dirty sock taste. Not too good.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and carbonation. The major off taste made it tough to swallow.

Overall- Perhaps a bad or old bottle, but I have had this before and remember the same qualities. I know it is the classic altbier, but it does not agree with me at all.

08-16-2011 23:32:08 | More by JLeege
Gamemako

France

2.25/5  rDev -43.5%

From a cask at the Uerige building and umbrella area in Düsseldorf.

Absolutely the worst of the Düsseldorf altbiers I tried today. The nose isn't so bad. Doesn't exactly explode at you, but the subtle malt and hops also doesn't particularly disappoint.

Its fatal flaw is that it is just far, far, far too bitter. Some beer lovers may look right past this (judging by the previous reviews, they most certainly have), but the first taste really gives this one away. You first taste, start sorting the flavours, and then get blasted into oblivion with mouth-puckering bitterness. It is incredibly undrinkable. It is among the most bitter beers I have ever tasted. I am not particularly bothered by a bit of bitterness at the end. Adds character, most of the time, and can be beneficial to the overall feel of the beer. However, this is just far too much of a kinda-sometimes-good thing. The flavours are more or less what you'd expect from an altbier. To be honest, it reminds quite thoroughly of the Schlösser for a brief moment before you lose track of any flavour at all.

For mouthfeel, it's not too carbonated and not too watery, but it's relatively unimpressive.

Recommended for those who like chewing lemon rinds.

Serving type: cask

06-21-2008 20:51:45 | More by Gamemako
tjthresh

Indiana

2.55/5  rDev -35.9%

Bottled on 04.18. Served in a tall cylinder glass.
Aroma: Very strong, rich caramel aromas. Some roast.
Apperance: Crystal clear, copper orange, with a dirty white head.
Flavor: There is something about this beer that I do not like. It really hits the sides of my tounge. It is very bitter, but that fades fast, and there is some roast character there.
Palate: Very drying, and that my be what I don’t like the most about it.
Overall: I would prefer a fuller, rounder drink from an alt. Is that off base?

08-25-2005 12:49:03 | More by tjthresh
MarkSCCOT

South Carolina

2.93/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured from a typically interesting Uerige bottle into a pint glass. Didn't have a stange.

A. A dark brown color with little to no lacing.

S. Not very impressive. I have wanted to try this style for awhile, but this was a very mild and bland smelling beer.

T. Much as bland as it smelled. A mild malt backbone with little to no hop profile.

M. Mildly carbonated with a clean finish.

D. Perhaps this will be more drinkable in person. I will have to make an effort to have it on tap in Deutschland next year.

10-20-2007 00:46:00 | More by MarkSCCOT
corby112

2.93/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a cloudy dark chestnut color with ruddy mahogany edges and a two finger frothy beige head that quickly settles into a lasting ring. Minimal lacing.

Sweet dark fruit aroma with hints of licorice, peppery spice and chocolate malt.

Slightly watered down mouthfeel with some nutty/chocolate malts, sweet dark fruit notes, licorice, saaz hops and a slightly dry metallic finish.

11-07-2009 07:04:19 | More by corby112
shippos

2.95/5  rDev -25.9%

thanks to luckysevens82 for the opportunity

poured with a honey amber color and average dense white head.
sweet malty aroma with dark fruits making hints at you, plums and figs mainly very appetizing. hops aren't present ot me at all. very clean and dry tasting somewhat dissapointing the aroma leads to expect so much more from this beer. obviously it doesnt' seem to travel to well. thin mouthfeel with a dry center and a rather silent finish. very drinkable but If it tasted as good as it smells fresh than I'd give it a 5. it's ok to try once but nothing I get regularly unless i was at the source.

08-21-2004 00:22:02 | More by shippos
Brubaker

08-03-2012 19:11:39 | More by Brubaker
JBogan

Nevada

3.13/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a medium/dark brown with a beautiful creamy one finger head which leaves moderate lacing. Nice looking beer.

The aroma was hard to define. Some malt sweetness and spice, but in a very mild way. Nothing really stood out.

Like the smell, the taste was very subdued. I had a hard time picking anything out really. It's not that it had bad taste, it's just that there wasn't much at all. Maybe some mild spices and again sweet malts, but I really had to strain to even make mention of those. Honestly, I can't recall a beer that tasted so "flat". Not carbonation-wise, but it's just that there was nothing that really stood out here.

The mouthfeel was thin bodied and prickly. Plenty of carbonation which was nice.

Overall I was expecting a bit more from this beer. A definite letdown in that it just didn't have much, if any, character. This was not a terrible beer or anything like that, but it's just not worth another visit.

12-24-2008 00:49:40 | More by JBogan
MrMcGibblets

3.18/5  rDev -20.1%

A: chestnut/deep amber color, really nice creamy off-white head and lacing, served in it's own branded glassware.
S: caramel and lightly roasted nuts.
T: lightly sweet dark bready malts to start, but there's a sourish character which is off-putting. can't believe that this one is off or that the taplines are bad, because this was served at the bavarian lodge, which is meticulous in it's service of proper beer.
M: frothy and would be nice but the astringency from the sourish aspect hurt here as well.
D: same theme here.

07-25-2010 14:25:30 | More by MrMcGibblets
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.2/5  rDev -19.6%

Very nice brown color with a very generous level of carbonation. Malty aroma with a hint of sweetness-almost a touch of cinnamon in the backround. Flavor is mostly malt-slight hop bitterness in the finish. A very slight metallic aftertaste but its not unpleasant. Good body. A drinkable beer-well worth trying after hearing about it for years. I would love to get to Germany for the real thing on tap.

11-04-2004 01:30:59 | More by lackenhauser
winomark

Missouri

3.2/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a nice deep copper with a small but persistant bone-white head. Mild tropical tones with a malty sweetness on the nose. Not much flavor in the front of the palate, but some sweetness and tannic flavors take control of the finish. Mild, crisp mouthfeel. A decent session beer for me. Nothign too exciting, but very drinkable. Worth a try.

10-24-2004 13:37:31 | More by winomark
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.23/5  rDev -18.8%

25-11 is the date on the bottle...

Pours amber with a 2 fingers offwhite head. Okay lacing & average head retention

S: Ever slight whiffs of malt & hops

Taste: Big grapefruitty/woody taste up front. Slight malt sweetness & a hint of tobbaaco as it warms. Slight astrignecy also perimiates the body. Finishes slightlty sweet with woody notes

MF: Medium bodied, slightlty under carbonated & skews too hoppy for the style IMO

Drinks okay. Maybe this beer is tired? I do know this tasted much malty & sweeter the on one evening I spent at the brewery in Duddeldorf. Would try again if I was sure I getting fresher beer

09-15-2006 03:28:52 | More by russpowell

Rhode Island

08-18-2012 01:25:15 | More by disemgrowler
B967ierhunter177

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Uerige Alt (Classic) pours an auburn color with a thin head that lasts. The aroma is a mix of caramel, chocolate, and toast that leads to a flavor with caramel, dark chocolate, and anise notes. Very well balanced. It's got a medium-full mouthfeel that is very filling. This is a good altbier. Recommended.

03-06-2011 09:15:27 | More by B967ierhunter177
scruffwhor

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear and almost lager like amger. But not a lot of bubbles and a crappy head and no residual foam during the drinking. A par mix or toasted malts. Byt very hard to pick up in the nose. The taste is just a bit easier to pick up. A very lagery bread crust tase with some carbonation that is tasted but not seen. A very lager feel to the palate as well. Crsip and refreshing.

09-21-2006 06:03:28 | More by scruffwhor
Phatz

3.4/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Presentation: Very cool swing-top bottle. Most of the label is in German and therefore foreign to me however it does say bottled on 25.11. (whatever that means).

Served chilled in a stange glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper color with lots of suspended particles in the body. a huge head in the stange has decent retention and leaves plenty of lacing.

Smell: The smell is simple yeasty caramel malts.

Taste: The taste is dry with both fruit and vegetable attributes. It has a caramel malt base with some smokey flavors and grain. There are hints of apples and carrots and finally some grassy hops. The aftertaste and the burp a vegetal.

Mouthfeel: really quite dry and lingers on endlessly.

Drinkability: Maybe it isn't fresh or maybe that is the way this beer is built. It is enjoyable for one but not really my cup-o-tea so one is enough for me.

Hope this is helpful.