1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Uerige Altbier - Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Uerige AltbierUerige Altbier

Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei visit their website
Germany

Altbier |  4.70% ABV

Uerige Alt ist das an Bitterstoffen reichste Bier Deutschlands. Trotzdem (oder gerade darum) ist dieses legendäre Düsseldorfer Altbier so vollmundig, aromatisch und bekömmlich.

Gebraut wird unsere obergärige Spezialität seit 1862 aus Gerstenmalz, Caramelmalz, Röstmalz, Doldenhopfen, Wasser – und mit unserer ganz besonderen Uerige-Hefe.

Unser Uerige Alt wird regelmäßig unter die zehn besten Biere Deutschlands gewählt. Es hat einen Alkoholgehalt von 4,7% und ein Mindestfrischedatum von acht Wochen.

(Beer added by: Longstaff on 10-01-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 238 | Reviews: 185 | Show All Ratings:
Mitchster

1.63/5  rDev -59%

$3.49 for a 11.2 oz bottle at Merchant's. Pours out to a medium amber, burnt orange, forming a modest off-white soapy head with poor retention and absent lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is difficult to pick up as it is quite weak, bit there is lightly soured caramel and sweetened condensed milk with an otherwise clean ferment. The mouthfeel is smooth and light bodied with a woody dry finish. The taste is quite odd..there is a wierd chemical taste to it that I haven't tasted in a beer before...it tastes very medicinal and perfumy and soapy. Moderate woodsy bitterness.

I don't know what to make of this beer, but it's not good. I wouldn't buy it or recommend it. This beer tastes like carcinogens and death. Down the drain 1/3 of the way into it.

08-12-2006 21:54:35 | More by Mitchster
Jimbo87

1.68/5  rDev -57.8%

I didn't notice this until after I drank it. But it says bottled on 05.03. Regarless of whether that is month then year, day then month, etc, this is old. But if either of those stands for year, then this is insanely old, and that could explain my experience. Here is what I wrote as I drank this:

"Dark but somewhat clear. Smells of sweet chocolate, grain. Smells very sweet.

Taste is surprisingly dry. Not sweet. Can taste chocolate note. Followed by a medicinal, bitterness. Bitterness nearly unpleasant. Medicinal aftertaste lingers in a bad way. It almost seems like something is wrong with it.

As I sip on, I'm realizing I hate this. It's making me nauseous. I understand that drain pouring seems wrong, but I feel like I'm drinking poison. Such a bitter aftertaste but not from hops. Now I feel it smells overwhelmingly of a sickly sweetlike smell that I hate. Nauseating. But honestly, I might be hating the smell now just because I'm associating it with this awful taste.

OK, I think I've settled down. I'm not going to die. This is probably not dangerous to drink, but I have an extremely strong feeling that this is not what this is supposed to taste like. I feel like this beer went bad. But it's not skunked. The "skunked" taste is delicious next to this nasty poison aftertaste."

That was a few hours ago. I was actually worried that some crazy person poured snake venom or something into this and that I might die. The only reason I don't really think that's possible is that there was such a fresh pop sound as I opened the bottle. The bottle is awesome, by the way.

I really wanted to like this. Honestly. I almost ordered an altbier glass just for this. I was looking forward to tasting a new style. But this ended up being the worst beer experience I've ever had, by far. This must have gotten infected or something. Or maybe age just makes this beer revolting.

I don't think many people will ever have this experience. It wasn't like "I hate the taste of this beer because it's too hoppy/sweet/sour/etc," it was truly "I'm not sure if this is toxic or not."

I'll try it fresh one day. But I'll be extremely nervous when I do.

03-05-2009 04:48:54 | More by Jimbo87
jstilwell

1.73/5  rDev -56.5%

Tried a sample at Bogies Beer and Wine beer -n- chocolate tasting.

Stepped out last minute with a buddy to pick up a few things and grab some samples. Its actually been a while since I offered up a negative review...Here goes:

Pour is clear amber copper with an off white head. Not much aroma here, a bit peppery with maybe some mild nut undertones. Time for the taste, not good. My pal greg spontaneously uttered, "Tastes like a telephone pole" which was agreed upon by some surrounding sippers. This is dry, thin, unpleasant, and unique...in a bad a way. There is a taste in there somewhat reminiscent of rye, but almost like chemicals or shoe polish or something. No drain to dump 3oz. sample so we sucked it up.

As I look at the postive reviews, I can only imagine this does not hold up well, and is far better fresh or on tap.

drinkability? HAHAHAHAHAHA

02-12-2010 17:35:18 | More by jstilwell
JLeege

2.1/5  rDev -47.2%

From notes. Poured into a stange.

Appearance- Hazy brown, with a large foamy head. Decent retention and a little lace. The color of this beer is pretty unattractive.

Smell- Caramel, slightly toasty, a touch grainy, and a bit sweaty.

Taste- Raison, slight caramel, dirty earth, a hint of chocolate, and a sweaty almost salty dirty sock taste. Not too good.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and carbonation. The major off taste made it tough to swallow.

Overall- Perhaps a bad or old bottle, but I have had this before and remember the same qualities. I know it is the classic altbier, but it does not agree with me at all.

08-16-2011 23:32:08 | More by JLeege
Gamemako

France

2.25/5  rDev -43.5%

From a cask at the Uerige building and umbrella area in Düsseldorf.

Absolutely the worst of the Düsseldorf altbiers I tried today. The nose isn't so bad. Doesn't exactly explode at you, but the subtle malt and hops also doesn't particularly disappoint.

Its fatal flaw is that it is just far, far, far too bitter. Some beer lovers may look right past this (judging by the previous reviews, they most certainly have), but the first taste really gives this one away. You first taste, start sorting the flavours, and then get blasted into oblivion with mouth-puckering bitterness. It is incredibly undrinkable. It is among the most bitter beers I have ever tasted. I am not particularly bothered by a bit of bitterness at the end. Adds character, most of the time, and can be beneficial to the overall feel of the beer. However, this is just far too much of a kinda-sometimes-good thing. The flavours are more or less what you'd expect from an altbier. To be honest, it reminds quite thoroughly of the Schlösser for a brief moment before you lose track of any flavour at all.

For mouthfeel, it's not too carbonated and not too watery, but it's relatively unimpressive.

Recommended for those who like chewing lemon rinds.

Serving type: cask

06-21-2008 20:51:45 | More by Gamemako
tjthresh

Indiana

2.55/5  rDev -35.9%

Bottled on 04.18. Served in a tall cylinder glass.
Aroma: Very strong, rich caramel aromas. Some roast.
Apperance: Crystal clear, copper orange, with a dirty white head.
Flavor: There is something about this beer that I do not like. It really hits the sides of my tounge. It is very bitter, but that fades fast, and there is some roast character there.
Palate: Very drying, and that my be what I don’t like the most about it.
Overall: I would prefer a fuller, rounder drink from an alt. Is that off base?

08-25-2005 12:49:03 | More by tjthresh
MarkSCCOT

South Carolina

2.93/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured from a typically interesting Uerige bottle into a pint glass. Didn't have a stange.

A. A dark brown color with little to no lacing.

S. Not very impressive. I have wanted to try this style for awhile, but this was a very mild and bland smelling beer.

T. Much as bland as it smelled. A mild malt backbone with little to no hop profile.

M. Mildly carbonated with a clean finish.

D. Perhaps this will be more drinkable in person. I will have to make an effort to have it on tap in Deutschland next year.

10-20-2007 00:46:00 | More by MarkSCCOT
corby112

2.93/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a cloudy dark chestnut color with ruddy mahogany edges and a two finger frothy beige head that quickly settles into a lasting ring. Minimal lacing.

Sweet dark fruit aroma with hints of licorice, peppery spice and chocolate malt.

Slightly watered down mouthfeel with some nutty/chocolate malts, sweet dark fruit notes, licorice, saaz hops and a slightly dry metallic finish.

11-07-2009 07:04:19 | More by corby112
shippos

2.95/5  rDev -25.9%

thanks to luckysevens82 for the opportunity

poured with a honey amber color and average dense white head.
sweet malty aroma with dark fruits making hints at you, plums and figs mainly very appetizing. hops aren't present ot me at all. very clean and dry tasting somewhat dissapointing the aroma leads to expect so much more from this beer. obviously it doesnt' seem to travel to well. thin mouthfeel with a dry center and a rather silent finish. very drinkable but If it tasted as good as it smells fresh than I'd give it a 5. it's ok to try once but nothing I get regularly unless i was at the source.

08-21-2004 00:22:02 | More by shippos
JBogan

Nevada

3.13/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours a medium/dark brown with a beautiful creamy one finger head which leaves moderate lacing. Nice looking beer.

The aroma was hard to define. Some malt sweetness and spice, but in a very mild way. Nothing really stood out.

Like the smell, the taste was very subdued. I had a hard time picking anything out really. It's not that it had bad taste, it's just that there wasn't much at all. Maybe some mild spices and again sweet malts, but I really had to strain to even make mention of those. Honestly, I can't recall a beer that tasted so "flat". Not carbonation-wise, but it's just that there was nothing that really stood out here.

The mouthfeel was thin bodied and prickly. Plenty of carbonation which was nice.

Overall I was expecting a bit more from this beer. A definite letdown in that it just didn't have much, if any, character. This was not a terrible beer or anything like that, but it's just not worth another visit.

12-24-2008 00:49:40 | More by JBogan
MrMcGibblets

3.18/5  rDev -20.1%

A: chestnut/deep amber color, really nice creamy off-white head and lacing, served in it's own branded glassware.
S: caramel and lightly roasted nuts.
T: lightly sweet dark bready malts to start, but there's a sourish character which is off-putting. can't believe that this one is off or that the taplines are bad, because this was served at the bavarian lodge, which is meticulous in it's service of proper beer.
M: frothy and would be nice but the astringency from the sourish aspect hurt here as well.
D: same theme here.

07-25-2010 14:25:30 | More by MrMcGibblets
winomark

Missouri

3.2/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a nice deep copper with a small but persistant bone-white head. Mild tropical tones with a malty sweetness on the nose. Not much flavor in the front of the palate, but some sweetness and tannic flavors take control of the finish. Mild, crisp mouthfeel. A decent session beer for me. Nothign too exciting, but very drinkable. Worth a try.

10-24-2004 13:37:31 | More by winomark
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.2/5  rDev -19.6%

Very nice brown color with a very generous level of carbonation. Malty aroma with a hint of sweetness-almost a touch of cinnamon in the backround. Flavor is mostly malt-slight hop bitterness in the finish. A very slight metallic aftertaste but its not unpleasant. Good body. A drinkable beer-well worth trying after hearing about it for years. I would love to get to Germany for the real thing on tap.

11-04-2004 01:30:59 | More by lackenhauser
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.23/5  rDev -18.8%

25-11 is the date on the bottle...

Pours amber with a 2 fingers offwhite head. Okay lacing & average head retention

S: Ever slight whiffs of malt & hops

Taste: Big grapefruitty/woody taste up front. Slight malt sweetness & a hint of tobbaaco as it warms. Slight astrignecy also perimiates the body. Finishes slightlty sweet with woody notes

MF: Medium bodied, slightlty under carbonated & skews too hoppy for the style IMO

Drinks okay. Maybe this beer is tired? I do know this tasted much malty & sweeter the on one evening I spent at the brewery in Duddeldorf. Would try again if I was sure I getting fresher beer

09-15-2006 03:28:52 | More by russpowell
scruffwhor

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear and almost lager like amger. But not a lot of bubbles and a crappy head and no residual foam during the drinking. A par mix or toasted malts. Byt very hard to pick up in the nose. The taste is just a bit easier to pick up. A very lagery bread crust tase with some carbonation that is tasted but not seen. A very lager feel to the palate as well. Crsip and refreshing.

09-21-2006 06:03:28 | More by scruffwhor
B967ierhunter177

3.35/5  rDev -15.8%

Uerige Alt (Classic) pours an auburn color with a thin head that lasts. The aroma is a mix of caramel, chocolate, and toast that leads to a flavor with caramel, dark chocolate, and anise notes. Very well balanced. It's got a medium-full mouthfeel that is very filling. This is a good altbier. Recommended.

03-06-2011 09:15:27 | More by B967ierhunter177
Phatz

3.4/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Presentation: Very cool swing-top bottle. Most of the label is in German and therefore foreign to me however it does say bottled on 25.11. (whatever that means).

Served chilled in a stange glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper color with lots of suspended particles in the body. a huge head in the stange has decent retention and leaves plenty of lacing.

Smell: The smell is simple yeasty caramel malts.

Taste: The taste is dry with both fruit and vegetable attributes. It has a caramel malt base with some smokey flavors and grain. There are hints of apples and carrots and finally some grassy hops. The aftertaste and the burp a vegetal.

Mouthfeel: really quite dry and lingers on endlessly.

Drinkability: Maybe it isn't fresh or maybe that is the way this beer is built. It is enjoyable for one but not really my cup-o-tea so one is enough for me.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

12-19-2006 04:42:57 | More by Phatz
Gagnonsux

3.43/5  rDev -13.8%

Uerige is dark copper in color with a moderate head size. Rentention is pretty good. The aroma is weak and somewhat uninteresting. A light carmel smell underlies a slightly stronger herbal body. The main taste here is of herbal hops. Caramel malts are faintly tasted in the finish. Mouthfeel is fairly active due to the herbal elements. This is a pretty good beer, however this isn't exactly my cup of tea. I think I liked Uerige Sticke better.

04-23-2005 00:07:07 | More by Gagnonsux
Vancer

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The old beer pours a deep, semi-hazy oaken brown, with a frothy rock chalk head of ivory.

This may be a German beer, but the aroma reminds me of an English bitter - woody, doughy and plenty of resins. Quaff has an odd off-taste of woody wet cardboard, plus the bready backbone.

Not a bad beer, nothing great, but with the import price this is one I'd overlook the next time around.

02-22-2008 01:25:48 | More by Vancer
Thrasher

Oregon

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

The bottle came with a caveat from the vendor (Belmont Station): to be drunk very cold, not to let it warm up. This seemed strange to me, and perhaps the first warning sign that this sample was not all it could be. The beer pours a shadowy waxy amber with a substantial head that melts away and leaves a small amount of intricate lace on the glass. Nearly invisible musty aroma, which had all the fleeting substance of a disremembered dream. Some caramel malts up front, tempered with a winey roundness, a gentle nutty flavor, and a light apple quality. A deep-down roastiness reveals itself reluctantly, but adds a twinge of smoke and perhaps coffee. The taste, in itself, actually seems a bit hollow, with a rolling grassy bitterness in the finish that makes up a large part of the flavor. I found this to be an intriguing, enveloping beer, and was impressed by many of its complexities, but it wasn't as likeable as I hoped it would be. This bottle is the second time I've tried the beer; the first was a disastrously sour cask served at the Horse Brass. Based on the elusiveness of this bottled sample, I can only conclude that the beer is best when absolutely fresh, and travelling across both the Atlantic Ocean and the continental U.S. has done this beer absolutely no favors.

08-02-2004 04:45:43 | More by Thrasher
RedDiamond

Oregon

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Freaky pencil-necked, swivel-capped, yeastless bottle. But lots of vitality when that cap goes *POP*. Poured a honey-brown color with a full finger of soft billowy head. The strange thing was the aroma. It kept shifting accents on me. One moment it smelled like a pilsner, the next I was in the presence of kölsch. The nose was at first bright and malty and accented with floral notes. But is seemed to travel in the direction of a musty lemon scent as time passed.

The taste is curiously both sweet and malty – almost a second cousin to a rauchbier. The flavor also had an unusual lapse. Just before the finish it grew dilute – nearly absent – and then a nice bitter finish latched hold and lingered.

Despite the initial enthusiastic unleashing of trapped gasses, this brew soon lost most of its fizz and remained largely inactive throughout my tasting. This fast release and prolonged stillness goes a long way towards explaining the flux in flavors.

08-08-2004 00:58:28 | More by RedDiamond
mikeg67

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

.33L bottle, 11 month old. Pours amber color with foamy, white, long lasting head. Good lacing, some carbonation. Aroma of hops and caramel malt. Light to medium body, tangy at first then somewhat sweet. Moderate earthy hops dominate the flavor with caramel malt, brown sugar and dark fruit provide some balance. Long earthy hops finish. Decent brew but, personally, I would prefer local hoppy ambers. Maybe I'll try a fresher bottle next time.

12-07-2010 20:42:34 | More by mikeg67
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

Slightly less caramel sweetness and with simplified complexity, this classic altbier carries a strict balance that doesn't tilt toward hop bitterness as do many Dusseldorf altbiers.

Medium amber in color and mostly clear, the beer forms a creme of white foam that's shy on both retention and lace. Inviting and casual, the beer neither impresses nor dissapoints the eye.

Caramel and bread crust aromas remind me of richer Oktoberfest beers. Without deeper malt/melanoidin notes or earthy hops, the nose gives the impressions of caramel, grain, and bread.

Flavors remain caramel focused, but with the added taste of bread crust, mild grain, and malty sweetness. This one-dimensional taste rides through the mid palate until the arrival of hop bitterness to balance in finish. Light herbal or grassy taste accompany the rising bitterness but never overtake the caramel.

Medium textured with medium maltiness and subtle carbonation, the beer has a mild weight that gives it more heaft than Oktoberfests, yet with the bitter balance that's unexpected from other traditional German beers. Mediun dryness in finish help to crispen the beer in preparation for the next drink.

Very drinkable and unoffensive, this beer is meant for large consumption, and done so quickly. A great thirst quencher for food pairings but lacking complexity for deep evaluation. Light graininess and slight over-attenuation gives a mild watery effect late.

06-17-2011 18:49:15 | More by BEERchitect
safaricook

Netherlands

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

From notes, no individual scores for the categories

L dark but very clear

A some yeast, some roasted malts,

T fruity, roasted malts, malt bitterness

F medium light body, fine bubbles

O Do not quite get why this is supposedly better than other Altbier. In my opinion this is middle of the road

09-04-2013 18:57:59 | More by safaricook
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

3.53/5  rDev -11.3%

Small pop-top brown bottle. Somewhat murky amber-orange body with a good inch of head that leaves good lacing. Smells nutty with some other malt. Tastes malty with kind of a peppery/smokey quality to it... Caramel malt is also a big player in the flavor. Rather light in body. Not sure how fresh this one is. Not quite like everyone else is talking about... Nonetheless, not bad, but not great, and I probably won't be triny this one again unless I find it on tap somewhere.

02-04-2007 06:15:19 | More by MrHurmateeowish