Uerige Altbier - Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Uerige AltbierUerige Altbier

Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei visit their website

Altbier |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Longstaff on 10-01-2002

Uerige Alt ist das an Bitterstoffen reichste Bier Deutschlands. Trotzdem (oder gerade darum) ist dieses legendäre Düsseldorfer Altbier so vollmundig, aromatisch und bekömmlich.

Gebraut wird unsere obergärige Spezialität seit 1862 aus Gerstenmalz, Caramelmalz, Röstmalz, Doldenhopfen, Wasser – und mit unserer ganz besonderen Uerige-Hefe.

Unser Uerige Alt wird regelmäßig unter die zehn besten Biere Deutschlands gewählt. Es hat einen Alkoholgehalt von 4,7% und ein Mindestfrischedatum von acht Wochen.
4.44/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a stange glass from a flip top bottle.. Pours hazy copper with a thin, off-white head that doesn't hang around for very long. There are some visible bubbles rising in the beer, but not many. Lacing is left down the side of the glass during consumption. The aroma is nice and malty (caramel with some brown bread) with some woody and grassy notes from the hops. The rich, yet delicate maltiness of this beer is up front with the hops providing some of that woody and grassy flavor from the hops. The malt character of this beer is bready with some mild caramel sweetness. Like a previous reviewer, I would agree there is more hop bitterness than you would expect from the aroma, but it is well-balanced with the malt backbone. There's a lot of flavor in this sub-5.0% ABV beer. The body is medium with moderate carbonation. This beer has high drinkability and a dry finish. This is an excellent beer.

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

Uerige Alt (Düsseldorf-Altstadt) is best served at cool cellar temperatures (40-50°F) and enjoyed from a traditional short, straight-sided glass called a Stangen (pole) or Reagenzglas (test tube). Uerige Classic pours up sublime with a very light, bubbly carbonation that creates a low, off-whitish head atop a bright, copperish body. The head dissapates rather quickly leaving a ring of Düssel lace in its wake. The decidely malty & lightly grainy/nutty aroma has some fruitiness/esters (e.g. Bosc pear, peach pit) with a nice touch of spiciness from the traditional 'Noble' German hops. The taste starts off with a solid graininess/maltiness that gives way to a marked bitterness which carries into a crisp, dry, slightly nutty & decidely bittersweet finish. This firm, medium bodied indeginous beer of Düsseldorfer-Altstadt (Old Town) is undoubtedly one of my favorite styles to enjoy...as it lends itself nicely to quaffing in mass quantities. Enjoy this one anytime and if you find yourself getting hungry... try pairing a glass or two with some salty, freshly baked European (soft) pretzels w/ Düsseldorfer mustard (of course!) & "Spreewaelder" (pickled gherkins). Here's to "Grumpy" Wilhelm Cürten and his "Classic" Düsselbier!

PROST! Beertracker

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

Reddish in color with a copper hue. Medium white head floats above. Lacing is minimal. Smell is more sweet than bitter but I get some hops there along with a bready yeasty flavor. But in the taste the hops are the dominate flavor. These hops are not bitter at all but really, really flavorful. They have a floral taste and a piney flavor. Honey sweetness lures behind the hops. A hazelnut base flavor comes from the yeast. Finish is dry and crisp but leaves just enough hoppiness for me to want more. To me, this is the ultimate session beer. The hops are very flavorful but not overly so. The balance is quite amazing and more flavors seem to come out the more I try this. I can see why this is a classic!

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

A 11.2 oz bottle that is dated as being bottled on 4/14/04. Pours a cardboard brown leaving a three finger head that is quite pillowy and foamy. First sip - Wow! A wonderful hops taste that remains on the edges of the tongue. Not a bitter hops taste but a green taste. I had a local version of Alt beer and it was much more watery and thin with little hops flavor. This has a little more depth and something going on with the hops. When I take a bit more of a bigger sip and swish it around I get a malty taste that is present but goes away much more quickly. I have avoided getting some imports lately as they seem to go stale by the time they get here but this one tastes very good in spite of being stored out of a cooler.

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

11.2oz. bottle poured into a slender altbier glass. It pours a brilliant deep copper color with three fingers of head. Sticky lacing is left all over the glass. The smell is rich and malty. Lots of sweet caramel aromas coming through. Just the slightest hint of hops as well. The taste is full of caramel maltiness at first, slightly toasty. The finish is very hoppy. I was really surprised at the amount of hops in this one, considering the sticke has more hops. Very nice. The mouthfeel is decent for the style. The drinkability is fantastic. I really need to get my ass to Düsseldorf to try this super fresh!

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

Wickedly cool bottle (will save for homebrew). My first Uerige product and I hope to try the stronger versions of this as well. Pours a slightly cloudy dark orange-copper, topped by a firm, thick cushion of light brown head, flecked with bits of darker yeast. This is a good looking beer. Nose is full of cookie dough malts and molasses backed by a spicy, kind of vegetal twang that balances nicely. Doughy sweet malt flavors flash up front, but quickly give way to toasted grain and spicy, bitter, dry hops. The most bitter alt I've had and probably the driest finishing. Nice. The hop bitterness is tasty too: floral and herbal. The finish, as I've mentioned, is dry with winks of cookie-ish malt over bitter minerals. Medium-bodied. Exceedingly drinkable. I'd love to try this on-tap at the source...

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

I love the shape of these bottles and I love the muffled gunshot that results when cracking the swing-top seal. Soft, gauzy ochre that could also be described as weather-worn bronze. The cap is modest in size, sandstone in color and awash with geological features. Small pits, larger divots, slopes, precipices, hummocks and bridges of foam from head to glass... it's all here and it all looks great.

The one word that occurs to me when assessing the aroma is earthy. I don't remember what Uerige Sticke smelled like, but I do remember that I liked the way it smelled. Must be the yeast; I'm sure these two beers have that in common. In fact, my impression is that Sticke is simply Uerige Altbier with more malt, more hops and more alcohol. This one smells of toasted grain and considerably musky, overripe fruit. I like it, yes I do.

Whether it contains a lesser quantity of ingredients or not, Classic doesn't take a backseat to any altbier, not even its bigger brother. There's a toasted malty brown bread base, with more lucious hoppiness than expected. In fact, it tastes a lot like some English pale ales, the ones that are especially tea leafy. That's a good thing. I can also appreciate a wonderfully bold spiciness that gives the flavor profile an added measure of complexity. Not that it needed it.

With warming, the flavors meld even more seamlessly and the hoppiness is enhanced. I find myself taking smaller and smaller sips in order to appreciate more incredible 'finishes' before all 11.2 ounces are gone. Double-sizing these bottles would be a great idea. The mouthfeel is light-medium, pillowy soft and feels great throughout the entire journey from lips to points south.

"Bitter and full of flavor is what the tongue signalises, but also moreish" is the tortured translation that appears on the Uerige website. I couldn't have said it better. After learning that Classic is the lower malt, lower hops, lower alcohol version of Sticke, I envisioned myself saying something along the lines of 'it's good, but I'll sticke with the bigger beer'. Well I'm here to say that the little guy has nothing to apologize for. As far as I'm concerned, Uerige Obergarige Hausbrauerei brews the definitive versions of the altbier style.

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

Dated 25.11 on the bottle

A - Hazy, raisin, chectnut color with a thin tan head the fades immediately.

S - Robust aroma, caramel and grainy malts, nutty, raisins, figs and a hint of honey.

T - Caramel malt with a herbal quality, slightly nutty, fruity, hint of grapes.

M - Somewhat thin and tea like but it works well. Balanced with a dry finish.

D - I liked this one the best of the 3 and found it the most complex.

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a hazed yet glossy amber of indistinct colors - quite messy, but altbiers can be a bit strange. The head is the eeriest looking swiss cheese I’ver seen, slip-sliding around without leaving any lace on my glass.

Smells of minty hops, lots of minty hops, then something I'd have to call dirty cross-country running shoes, and dry smoked wood. Now I mean those in a good way, but I'm sure just quite different from when it first came shore. It settles into more crazy malt scents, the strangest roast and caramel sorts that I'm at a complete loss to describe. That and the minty hops were enough to make me quite happy.

To describe the flavor, for me, is easy because its piles of beautiful hops, minty, drying, luscious hops. So much flavor in those hops with of course requisite bitterness but a lecture in what low alpha-acid German-style hops can do. They throw off flavors like pepper and such, moving into the malts which are roasty yet very smooth at the same time. I guess because its an ale-ish lager, a hybrid of perfect balance like great baltic porters, that the malt runs back in forth between rugged roastiness of an ale and the rounded ease of a lager - the malty malts are roasty but not roasty, ya catch?

OK, now I think I understand altbiers, this is much better than anything I’ve yet had but I’ll take a wild guess its taste is extravagantly even better fresh in Dusseldorf. Yeah, so this bottle ain’t fresh, but I’ll be damned if it aint good.

4.41/5  rDev +11.1%

11.2ozer purchased as a single from the Spirit Haus, Amherst, MA, in a cool-looking swing-top. Date Code is 14 04.

Poured into a Middle Ages imperial half pint glass, formed a thick 1/2" light toffee head over a clear, caramel-hued brew. Laced well. Aroma is lightly of yeast and malts. Taste is light malts upfront, with hops dominating the latter portion of the flavor. Expected a bit deeper malt character, but what do I know? (Note - As it warmed, a nutty characteristic became more pronounced, nice.) Mouthfeel excellent, and drinkability is endless. Maybe I can get a friend stioned in the Air Force in Germany to bring me back some fresh Uerige, so I can see how it can possibly be even better...

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Fantastic tall and compact beige head fills the glass. After a while the liquid appears as the head starts to dissipate. The color is lovely glowing brown. Nice lacings.

S: Roasted malt, kind of dry. Suttle hoppiness brings fruity notes; ripe oranges and pears as well as dark dried fruits. Sweet.

T: Toasty malt, roasted and bready. Yeast and quite spicy. Rich fruit; follows the smell. Sweet, but also dry. The bitter hops are strong but very well balanced. An metallic back-bone (like in every Altbier I've ever had).

M: Aftertaste is rather long and bitter (cherry kernel-like). Body is so smooth and medium full, while the strong carbonation is very modest and un-aggresive.

O: This is a very well crafted and balanced Altbier - probably the best I've ever had.

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from an 11.2oz swing-top bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light brown color with a thin off-white head that leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of robust, smoky, caramelized malts along with some nuts and spice and a decent background of hops.

T: The taste is nicely balanced with flavors of caramel, nuts, spices, some smokiness and good hearty malt character. The hops presence is mild but it exactly at the level it should be for the style. The after-taste is bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is very clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, excellent representation of style, mild kick, this is a very good beer in a style that many brewers seem either reluctant to do or unable to do well. If I want a beer with some substance that isn’t going to be overpowering, this is an excellent choice. Too bad it’s such an expensive one.

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Hazy, deep amber hue, solid, creamy white head.
Nose is a fine blend of hops, fruit, and malt, with sly, herbal, spice hints as well..nice.
Taste: yum. Yeah, that'll do it...hope I've hit the character minimum already, because that will do. Just ...yum.
Nice little, brisk hops, sweet, dusky flavor, a harmonious blend of the malty and fruity flavors, perfectly smooth and actively tasty. Dries out on the palate in a very reserved and classy fashion, leaves the palate whetted for another taste. Very tidy. Delivers the flavor, then heads out the door. This is a sophisticated, but un-showy ale, and I can see it being easily imbibed by the herren and damen back at the biergarten.
Nice, nice, nice!

Gratitude aplenty towards moulefrite for the bottles!

4.34/5  rDev +9.3%

Great big fluffy off white head drops very slowly to reveal good lacing. Healthy brown color with a slight haze, this one is bottle conditioned so I'll let it slide.

Crisp malty aroma, faint spicy hops in the nose, subdued fruity esters.

Sharp clean bitterness up front followed by a clean dry cracker like malt profile. Super dry middle with subtle spicy hops. Faintly fruity but very clean at the end.

Very well carbonated, very drinkable and well balanced. Great example of the alt style and I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

The swingtop popped loudly and I thought I might have a gusher so I quickly poured this ale and it revealed a rich nut-brown color with a white head that was thin yet resilient. It has a caramel aroma and a very interesting flavor. It begins very smoothly with sweet malt flavors which, slowly segue into a strong hop background that lingers and leaves the most wonderful hop flavor. This beer has a very nice flavor and I was surprised by the delicate earthiness of the German hops

4.31/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

custom 330ml bottle into POM stange. bottled on 05.03, code 0406 (whatever the hell that means).

A - this beer is a bit explosive, a lot of head forms when pouring, so watch out. this looks almost exactly like the Sticke: dark copper colour, highly effervescent. there is some haziness caused by yeast, but that is the only ostensible difference from the Sticke. same great head and lacing, as with retention.

S - nose is nowhere near as strong as the Sticke. the nose is very light, but is a pretty balanced combination between the hops and malt varieties. if anything was to particularly stick out it would be the caramel malts.

T - despite the nose, the body is quite dynamic and tasty. almost every one of the hops used makes a debut in some part of this beer. initial taste is the hops, roasted and barley malts duking it out for majority. the taste comes off slightly more malty than hoppy. the hops are a simple bitter taste, maybe a bit like grapefruit rind. the finish has a spurt of alcohol comes out, though hardly much in comparison to the other. the majority of the finish is sweeter caramel malts, not a really big hop presence here; finish is also a bit dry, which is a good touch. the aftertaste is a very subtle malt flavour, some hops, and a good chunk of yeast, lending the beer to have almost bready characteristics at certain moments.

MF&D - they nailed the feel on this one, it is a solid medium body with a medium amount of carbonation. bingo, right on the mark. the drinkabilty is also very exceptional, but maybe this is because I dont particularly enjoy this style, I would be hard pressed to have another. other than that fact, no aspect of the beer hampers the drinkability, which is the main important thing here.

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

I will preface this review with this, I have never had an Altbier before and also this is my first BA review. So with that said, I had this wonderful beer at the Brickstore Pub in Decatur GA yesterday. It was served to me in proper glassware a .2L glass with the breweries name printed on it. Small was of sweet malt which is something I normally don't like. I would also say that I was almost put off cause it had a hint of skunkyness to it. Once I tasted it thought the thought of that was quickly gone. It had a very nice caramel taste with just enough bitterness to round it out. The aftertaste was something I can't put my finger on, some kind of warm fruit that's just not distinguishable to me. Overall a wonderful beer that I will be wanting again soon. I might have to find a homebrew recipe for this, so I can always have some on the shelf!

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

Hazy, deep amber with a reddish hue. A fairly vigourous pour resulted in 3/4 inch of dense, off-white foam. Good retention with a bit of clumpy lacing. Malty aroma with a bit of grain, caramel, dried fruit and herbal hops. Malt forms a solid flavour base that allows other characters to be build up. Bitterness is easily an equal to sweetness and the hop flavour starts of herbal and builds almost to the point of being medicinal before the finish, where is switches to lingering mint. Very distinctive and quite tasty. Dried fruit provides some additional sweetness in the middle. Refined, well-integrated carbonation with a good body that dries out by the finish. I really enjoyed this beer. It's easy to drink and has a really interesting flavour. I'll definitely have this again.

4.29/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Has a foamy, decent, long staying head, while its color is defined by a lovely dark brown color, in which red glowing hints are visible.

Nose is full of malt defined aromas, very bready with hints of tobacco and a slightly sour peak of fresh yeast.

Beginning is very soft on the palate, with lots of earth and whole-grain bread, while a subtle biscuit touch adds sweeter hints to it. Malt body then turns particular bitter for an Alt, still accompanying the malts. Finishes with slightly sour, soft yeasty hints, while a dry, bitter hop note becomes more present. Inconvenient bitter, very complex, with a distinct flowery, dry hop note amongst a bready malt body.

4.28/5  rDev +7.8%

On tap at Gourmet Haus Staudt, served in a .2 liter Uerige stange. The beer itself appears a hazy copper color, and arrives from the tap with a finger of thick cream colored foam.

The nose is hop forward, earthy and herbal, faintly toasted and metallic. Berry-like fruit notes come out with a little agitation.

Incredibly flavorful for the low ABV, it washes the tongue with bitter herbal hops, flavors of earth and mineral, toasted malt and light fruity tartness. It's a complex beer, difficult to wrap the mind around but immensely enjoyable. The finish has a big hoppy bite, quite bitter but also faintly metallic and sour. This is a beer I'll have to revisit a few times before I can fully grasp every nuance.

4.28/5  rDev +7.8%

Sampled from a bottle.

This altbier poured a slightly hazy, copper color with creamy, off-white foam that was very persistent and clung to the glass. There was a good, steady carbonation from the bottom of the glass. The smell was nicely malty with a hint of cocoa and a touch of hops. The taste was hoppy up front with a strong malt backbone. There were some fruity, malty flavors and a slight bitterness and hoppiness in the finish. The mouthfeel was smooth with medium body and good carbonation. The aftertaste was both malty and hoppy, and it lingered pleasantly. This was a very nice altbier.

4.27/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

11 oz growler poured into a stange. pours a hazy chocolate brown color with a couple fingers of loose off-white tannish head. no lacings.

aroma is very sweet and malty, with a grainy character. malts incluse caramel and pale. fruity ale yeast is also prevalent, with notes of apricot, grapes, and a touch of apple. a floral aroma is also in and among the other aromas.

taste is malty and sweet up front, with a slightly vinous character. caramel malts come foreward a bit, but remain among the other flavors. taste is mostly synonomous with the aroma, only with a decent alcohol presence. very smooth on the way down.

aftertaste is semi-dry and lightly fruity. alcohol stays in and around the throat. more apple comes out as one makes their way through the bottle.

mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with a silky texture and a bite from the carbonation.

drinkability is decent. a solid alcohol presence will not sit right with new beer lovers, but the brew is very rich, well balanced, and has perfect concentration. cheers!

4.26/5  rDev +7.3%

On cask at the brewery in dusseldorf in .25 L glasses. Reviewed 7-5-2009.

Ar: Malty, sweet, nutty and caramel, toffee hints, light candy sweetness, mild fruitiness, very light roast hints, light herbal hop

Ap: Clear amber with dark copper highlights, frothy off white head, great retention, lace

F: Rich and malty, dark fruit (prune), clean bitterness from hops, caramel (slightly lighter than C-60) Floral, crisp nuttynes at end, dry finish, *earthy hints, floral strengthens as it warms, honey hints (good amount, not too much) good balance

M: medium mouthfeel but light enough to be easily drinkable, light smooth carbonation, refreshing

O: darker with malt and floral/fruit complexities, good malt character, sweetness and body, the floral character is nice

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

a very drinkable and elaborate alt. dark amber with a mild head. clean with consistent bubbles coming up. nose is malty brown sugar with a smoky quality. palate is that with a bold bitter leather quality that is a bit sour smoky. this could be a big turn off seeing as this one doesn't seem as malty as others. not particularly sweet going down but earthy bitter with a oily resin quality in the malt. i don't know if the crisp quality does the style justice. the sweetness seemed to hide the bitter smoke before. this is well. just as drinkable but in a different manner. very flavorful but very light weight. dry and oily too. walnut. apple and a pilsner bitter finish. a must for the style. a great 'lighter' beer to go with must food... particularly seasoned poultry.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours out a cloudy golden brown and sits muddy amber-brown in the glass with a large off-white head, fading to a thick skim and some decent lacings.

Smells rich, full of caramel and toasty, biscuit aromas. Dusty wooden floors and wet grassy fields. Hints of dates and walnuts.

Tastes lightly sweet up front and immediately puts forth a big dosage of sharp, grassy hops. Beneath are a quiet mix of caramel, raisins, mushy apples and a bit of oak. Well-bittered and holds on long into the finish, hop oils throuroughly soak the mouth.

Initially crisp, this beer softens a great deal, revealing a smooth, creamy center, filled with flavor. Medium carbonation, medium bodied.

Definately one of the best Altbiers I've had, and truly a solid example of this often overlooked style.

Uerige Altbier from Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei