Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Uerige Altbier - Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Uerige AltbierUerige Altbier

Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei visit their website

Altbier |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Longstaff on 10-01-2002

Uerige Alt ist das an Bitterstoffen reichste Bier Deutschlands. Trotzdem (oder gerade darum) ist dieses legendäre Düsseldorfer Altbier so vollmundig, aromatisch und bekömmlich.

Gebraut wird unsere obergärige Spezialität seit 1862 aus Gerstenmalz, Caramelmalz, Röstmalz, Doldenhopfen, Wasser – und mit unserer ganz besonderen Uerige-Hefe.

Unser Uerige Alt wird regelmäßig unter die zehn besten Biere Deutschlands gewählt. Es hat einen Alkoholgehalt von 4,7% und ein Mindestfrischedatum von acht Wochen.
firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
4.1/5  rDev +3%

A: Hazy brown ale with a thin creamy head.

S: Roasted malt, caramel, toffey, resiny/spicey hops.

T: From the aroma, I was expecting a sweet malty ale, but this one is quite dry. Really no sweet at all. Roasted grain and somewhat smokey tones come through first, followed by some hops bitterness in the finish.

M: Quite light and dry feeling. Carbonation is good.

D: This is a fairly light easy drinking beer, but the bitterness from the roasted grain, and the hops may be a turnoff to some. I like it.

4.04/5  rDev +1.5%

11.2 oz brown flip top into a shaker. Gorgeous bottle.

A - Light brown, hazy, with a copious tan head. Carbonation appears appropriate for style. Significant lacing noted.

S - Plum and other dark fruits. Apricot? Bready background. Very pleasant.

T - Front is quite bitter with noble hops. Complex mid with caramelized sugar notes, dark fruity esters, floral-herbal hops and very mild roast. Finish is quite dry, almost black-pepper like.

M - Medium to heavy body with brisk carbonation. Outstanding.

O - What a fascinating style.

1.7/5  rDev -57.3%

I didn't notice this until after I drank it. But it says bottled on 05.03. Regarless of whether that is month then year, day then month, etc, this is old. But if either of those stands for year, then this is insanely old, and that could explain my experience. Here is what I wrote as I drank this:

"Dark but somewhat clear. Smells of sweet chocolate, grain. Smells very sweet.

Taste is surprisingly dry. Not sweet. Can taste chocolate note. Followed by a medicinal, bitterness. Bitterness nearly unpleasant. Medicinal aftertaste lingers in a bad way. It almost seems like something is wrong with it.

As I sip on, I'm realizing I hate this. It's making me nauseous. I understand that drain pouring seems wrong, but I feel like I'm drinking poison. Such a bitter aftertaste but not from hops. Now I feel it smells overwhelmingly of a sickly sweetlike smell that I hate. Nauseating. But honestly, I might be hating the smell now just because I'm associating it with this awful taste.

OK, I think I've settled down. I'm not going to die. This is probably not dangerous to drink, but I have an extremely strong feeling that this is not what this is supposed to taste like. I feel like this beer went bad. But it's not skunked. The "skunked" taste is delicious next to this nasty poison aftertaste."

That was a few hours ago. I was actually worried that some crazy person poured snake venom or something into this and that I might die. The only reason I don't really think that's possible is that there was such a fresh pop sound as I opened the bottle. The bottle is awesome, by the way.

I really wanted to like this. Honestly. I almost ordered an altbier glass just for this. I was looking forward to tasting a new style. But this ended up being the worst beer experience I've ever had, by far. This must have gotten infected or something. Or maybe age just makes this beer revolting.

I don't think many people will ever have this experience. It wasn't like "I hate the taste of this beer because it's too hoppy/sweet/sour/etc," it was truly "I'm not sure if this is toxic or not."

I'll try it fresh one day. But I'll be extremely nervous when I do.

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

Very cool swingtop bottle, great for the collection.

Poured a dark brown color with copper highlights evident in the light, with a nice thick tan head that stayed around for quite some time. Left some real nice lacing too.

Malty aroma, sweet, with a hint of spicy hops in the finish, nice and pleasant, appetizing.

Pleasant, lightly roasted flavor, a bit earthy and nutty, well balanced finish with only a slight hop bitterness lingering, making you want another sip. Nice and flavorful for a session beer.

Velvety and medium bodied, a pleasant drinking experience, and quite drinkable.

A well done beer and good example of the style.

4.34/5  rDev +9%

Great big fluffy off white head drops very slowly to reveal good lacing. Healthy brown color with a slight haze, this one is bottle conditioned so I'll let it slide.

Crisp malty aroma, faint spicy hops in the nose, subdued fruity esters.

Sharp clean bitterness up front followed by a clean dry cracker like malt profile. Super dry middle with subtle spicy hops. Faintly fruity but very clean at the end.

Very well carbonated, very drinkable and well balanced. Great example of the alt style and I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

4.16/5  rDev +4.5%

I have had both the bottle and a gravity fed cask (at the Old Bay in New Brunswick). Have to say that I think both were outstanding. This brew has a nice deep orange color, with a tannish head. The aroma has that peppery character that you get with a true Alt yeast strain. Flavor is very big for a 4.5% beer, with the malt and hops doing battle to the end. Easy to drink, if not tough to find.

poured from a swing-top to a clear stange: yields a fluffy off-white head. actually poured a bit too aggressive and needed to settle a bit before i could get the rest in. the body is a nice deep copper color, with some sediment rocking around from the bubbles streaming to the top. some lacing is evident.

smells like some bready and crisp malt. not too much in the nose for hops. a touch of caramel or honey (some sweet type of smell) is there, subtle yet nice.

the taste is interesting. the initial malt and caramel, which is not too sweet, is then followed by ample hop bitterness. a nice dry finish to it as well. it's simple in it's purpose, but well balanced.

the mouthfeel is medium to nearly light body. the carbonation is nice and tingly. keeps things moving and a feeling of refreshment.

i could drink this kind of beer in a session without much issue. if only it weren't so pricey... and more available.

4.22/5  rDev +6%

Appearance: Good. Orange amber color. Nice head. Good lacing.

Smell: Very good. Lots of stuff going on. Starts off with pronounced hop aroma. As it warms, I get a little Belgian Ale spice kick.

Taste: Good. Well-balanced between malt and hops. Hops gives the beer a nice, long finish.

Mouthfeel: Good. Smooth.

Drinkability: Very good. Keep 'em coming.

What a wonderful session beer. If only it was not $4 a bottle.

3.98/5  rDev 0%

Bottled: 02.10

11.2 oz bottle poured into glass, careful to avoid the sediment.

A- Deep, rich copper color with a thin head that dissipates quickly leaving a thin ring that hangs on for the remainder of the review.

S- Rich malt with a slight toffee aroma lingering in the background, fresh bread and biscuity malt appear after the beer warms a bit. Raisins appear in the aroma as well.

T- Loaded with rich malt, slightly tart and then a nice hop bitterness rolls in. The finish dries slightly leaving just enough malt and hops to linger between sips.

M- Light body, slightly watery, carbonation is barely there but seems to give a nice lift to the beer helping to add a little bitterness and accentuate the malt.

D- Very drinkable, loaded with malt flavor. Very easy to have more than one in an evening. Recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +8%

I will preface this review with this, I have never had an Altbier before and also this is my first BA review. So with that said, I had this wonderful beer at the Brickstore Pub in Decatur GA yesterday. It was served to me in proper glassware a .2L glass with the breweries name printed on it. Small was of sweet malt which is something I normally don't like. I would also say that I was almost put off cause it had a hint of skunkyness to it. Once I tasted it thought the thought of that was quickly gone. It had a very nice caramel taste with just enough bitterness to round it out. The aftertaste was something I can't put my finger on, some kind of warm fruit that's just not distinguishable to me. Overall a wonderful beer that I will be wanting again soon. I might have to find a homebrew recipe for this, so I can always have some on the shelf!

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottled 03.09.

Nice pop on the hinged cork. Dark amber to copper color. Producing 1cm creamy off-white head, that quicky faded to modest covering. Slight bit of lacing. Small amount of sediment present in the pour.

Floral hops with bright citrus, and overall fruity, refreshing nose.

Well balanced hop bitterness. Bit of sour apple. Mild yeast and bread malts.

Carbonation is moderately heavy. Making it a little bit crisp and refreshing.

Overall, this is very good, and easily drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Batch 02.10 which means that this beer is probably past it's prime, but as far as I can tell I was lucky to find it in the States at all. Anyway, here goes.

Pours a deep brown, almost like a dark sand. Much darker and richer color than I was expecting. Head is modest but lingering, lacing is noticeable.

Smell is pretty mild at first, some bready malt and that's about all I'm getting for now.

Interesting flavor - some earthy hop bitterness mixed with a mild malt - definitely less "biscuity" than some of the American-made altbiers (Otter Creek, Southampton, etc) that I am more familiar with. As it warms the malt shines through a little more - bready, even a bit sweet. Really unusual spice flavor, almost some black pepper in there.

Overall, a nice beer. Probably tastes better fresh, and I realize finding that will be an uphill battle, but I will try.

4.1/5  rDev +3%

Another great beer from Uerige! Its a little bit thinner than their Sticke, but thats to be expected. Little to no head on the beer but good lacing. Great amber color with great taste, mouthfeel and drinkability. This is a great session beer where you can have many without getting full

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

This was a good example of what a beer can be in its most simplistic terms. There were two distinct tastes: the hops and the malt. The aroma was very true to taste and it was a simple, good beer. It was a pleasure to drink and could easily be used in comparison with other beers to describe what both hops and malt taste like.

Great Alt!

2.32/5  rDev -41.7%

From a cask at the Uerige building and umbrella area in Düsseldorf.

Absolutely the worst of the Düsseldorf altbiers I tried today. The nose isn't so bad. Doesn't exactly explode at you, but the subtle malt and hops also doesn't particularly disappoint.

Its fatal flaw is that it is just far, far, far too bitter. Some beer lovers may look right past this (judging by the previous reviews, they most certainly have), but the first taste really gives this one away. You first taste, start sorting the flavours, and then get blasted into oblivion with mouth-puckering bitterness. It is incredibly undrinkable. It is among the most bitter beers I have ever tasted. I am not particularly bothered by a bit of bitterness at the end. Adds character, most of the time, and can be beneficial to the overall feel of the beer. However, this is just far too much of a kinda-sometimes-good thing. The flavours are more or less what you'd expect from an altbier. To be honest, it reminds quite thoroughly of the Schlösser for a brief moment before you lose track of any flavour at all.

For mouthfeel, it's not too carbonated and not too watery, but it's relatively unimpressive.

Recommended for those who like chewing lemon rinds.

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear copper-brown with a white head that clings to the glass in a white ring. Leaves some lacing behind.

I get a pecan/walnut nuttiness, toffee, and breadcrust on the nose. I perceived the aromas being sweeter than the actual beer itself.

Right up front I get toasted malt and breadcrust. There seems to be a growing caramel sweetness with a touch of prunes that gets balanced out by some tea-like hop bitterness. There's a lingering dry finish with some very slight roast to it, maybe some pine-like resins. Smooth mouthfeel.

There's just something very sessionable about this beer. I think it's that up front sweetness and dry finish with a smooth mouthfeel. Not sure, but I like it.

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last