Repent - DuClaw Brewing Company

good

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  14.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Hefe on 09-02-2005)
valarking

08-01-2012 03:30:30 | More by valarking
kylehay2004

2.65/5  rDev -28.6%

No head really or lacing on a slightly hazy copper and crimson body. Aroma is super sweet and tart and so far this is more like a barley wine than a Belgian dark strong at this point. Flavor is ridiculously sweet with caramel toffee and brown sugar. This one definitely overwhelms. Oily body and light to moderate carbonation. I do not recommend buying a bottle unless it is to share with many people.

07-26-2012 02:32:27 | More by kylehay2004
nickfl

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%

A poured with a small head if off white foam on a hazy, dark amber body, low retention and lace.

S sweet fruit with notes of red apple and plum as well as caramel.

T really sweet toffee and raisins up front. Some syrupy caramel in the middle and a spicy, fruity alcoholic finish.

M a thick, syrupy body, moderate carbonation, and a very sweet finish.

D wow, this is over the top, and unfortunately not in a good way. Too big and too sweet, but at the same time kind of one dimensional.

07-26-2012 02:26:25 | More by nickfl

06-18-2012 13:31:31 | More by mjaggers
2dogbrew

06-16-2012 20:35:43 | More by 2dogbrew
obywan59

Pours a hazy, orante-ruby to ruby depending on the light, with a 3 finger head in my Duvel tulip. Light lacing that shortly vanishes, leaving a ring around the glass.

Smell of bubble-gum, dried fruits and alcohol.

Possibly the sweetest beer I've ever tasted. Very grapey and vinuous. Not far off from a Port or Sherry.

Medium-thick bodied. Very little bite of carbonation, but the high ABV makes it very warming.

I liked this beer from the start, but by the time I was midway through, I liked it a lot. This would be a great winter time beer.

06-13-2012 01:07:33 | More by obywan59

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

05-28-2012 12:41:04 | More by greyghost86
russwbeck

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

Enjoyed On-Tap at Duclaw's DC Release event! I must say, I was quite spent after this monster.

A: The beer pours a hazy deep brown in color with about a finger of off-white head. The retention is great but lacing is lacking. 4

S: The aroma is of booze and Belgian yeast. It smells like an extremely boozy quad, perhaps the barrel aged beers are wearing on my ability to smell. 3.5

T: The taste is extremely boozy, but it isn't undrinkable. Certainly Belgian, the extreme level of malt and dark fruits is something I've never experienced before. Its roasty too, which I must say I did not expect. The definition of the big beer, it's just a bit too boozy for me. 3.5

MF: Heavy body with a big hit of booze. Make sure you're sitting down when you try it. It is pretty drinkable, which is a good and bad thing at 14%. 4

Value: $6 for 11oz, which was a lot of this beer. If you haven't yet, I'd say try it once and tell me what you think. 4

O: Overall this was an interesting experiment. Certainly not on the level of Quads or BSDA I've had before, but I did like it. Duclaw tries to push the limits with their beers, and they definitely did just that here. I'd say it was a success. 4

05-25-2012 02:15:26 | More by russwbeck
Patrickbrusil

05-21-2012 18:15:53 | More by Patrickbrusil
Lee_Hancock

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

05-17-2012 21:53:16 | More by Lee_Hancock
HopHead1951

4.48/5  rDev +20.8%

OK, it's sweet - yeah, but I like it a lot! This is a super boozey beer at 14.6% ABV but I'm a fan of BIG beers. Nice color, sweet ripe-fruit smell, though high in alcohol I don't find that to be an overwhelming factor. Great beer to wrap up an evening. You can't drink a lot of it but man is it good.

04-27-2012 00:07:55 | More by HopHead1951
Foolmonkey

4.43/5  rDev +19.4%

I've had many Duclaw beers in the past. I got a sample pour of this beer last week and they did a great job with it! I only had 2 ounces of the beer, but a serving size is 9 oz. in a snifter.

The color comes to you as a dark brown with a thin tan head. Aroma of huge malt and dark fruits. Flavor matches this with big delicious flavors and sweetness. The body is moderate and mouthfeel was smooth and fresh. Almost unbelievable at 14% ABV! Lacking any hop flavors, aroma, or bitterness but it really hit the spot at the end of the night

A great after dinner dessert drink or a heavy malt bomb to pair with some hearty/foods. Try some!

04-14-2012 00:00:34 | More by Foolmonkey
djbow

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

On Tap @ DuClaw Pub

2012 Edition / Release of this Beer.

A: Pours a cloudy deep deep amber color with no head, just a everlasting thin foam ring around the glass. Massive alcohol legs cling to the glass, at 14.6% ABV this is no surprise.

S: Sweet, lots of ripe dark fruit, raisins, candy sugar, bready yeast and alcohol. Lots of alcohol.

T: This beer is quite sweet . It is smooth but I think that it would definitely benefit from age from the age. Given the ABV you could put 3 - 4 years on this one with no problem and it would be smooth as glass. Following the nose ripe dark fruit raisins and candy sugar fill you mouth just before the big but not overly hot booze comes in and washes it all away leaving a sweet taste behind.

Ml: Thick and syrupy no carbonation to speak of. As mentioned above in this this could be a really smooth beer.

O: With some age the beer will smooth out and be more of a pleasure to drink. I don't know that I will seek this out again, but if offered it I would not decline. Give it a try if you are in a Baltimore are a pub or one of the DuClaw company pubs.

Cheers!

belgiancentury

12-14-2011 14:49:16 | More by belgiancentury
oline73

3.45/5  rDev -7%

This was the 2005 version, on-tap at Max's. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy mahogany color with no head to speak of.

Smell: Sweet with lots of ripe dark fruit and some brown sugar.

Taste: This is a really sweet beer. Quite smooth from the age, especially given the abv. Overly ripe dark fruit and brown sugar. The finish is slightly bitter but really sweet.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy. This one is almost flat with a dry finish.

Overall: I was really excited to get to try this. The age smoothed it out really well (I assume it didn't start this way) I don't know that I would want any more

12-04-2011 03:20:21 | More by oline73
DBoone

11-30-2011 14:45:39 | More by DBoone
hopdog

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

Sample tasted from growler provided by jeffin7 (thanks!).

Poured a dark copper color with smaller sized off white head. Aromas and tastes of dark fruits, grapes, cherries, chocolate and some caramel and spices. Alcohol content completely hidden. Definitely a sipping beer. I found this one to be way too sweet for my tastes though.

Notes from 10/9/05

11-12-2008 14:41:16 | More by hopdog
John_M

3.08/5  rDev -17%

Jeez Loueez DuClaw, what are you trying to do with this? The smell and taste of this beer is so sweet it's almost overwhelming. Lots of cherries and candied raisans in this one, maybe some honey as well.

This beer tastes exactly what it is, which is a mammoth, sweet and malty alcohol bomb. The alcohol (all 14.6% of it) is pretty noticeable, so maybe it's a good thing the beer is so sweet. I cannot imagine drinking a 12 oz. glass of this stuff; my palate was worn out just after a tasting sample.

Maybe others will like this beer, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Edit from 4/15/12. For good or for bad, DuClaw has decided to re-release this beer. Not sure if the recipe has changed, but I do see that the abv. is the same as before (14.6%). As this was one of the first reviews I wrote on BA, it seems only fair to revist it. Sampled at Max's today.

Apearance - same as before
Nose - the beer smells sweet and boozy, but I can't say I'm as overwhelmed by it as I was previously.
taste - Jesus Christ, this stuff is disgusting. As before, the beer is incredibly sweet, syrupy and boozy, with some noticeable heat in the finish. Frankly, my initial score was generous and I've had to lower it. Really, this beer is almost nauseatingly sweet and boozy.

Everything else is the same... this is seriously not a very good beer, and I'll be damned if I can figure out why DuClaw decided to make it again. I guess it will be popular with the frat boy crowd, as at 14.6%, it clearly will get you fucked up pretty quickly. However, that's not what I'm looking for in a beer, and I've scored this beer accordingly.

03-06-2007 15:05:41 | More by John_M
Higravity

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Served in a snifter and it was almost completely flat, a deep red brown body was sparkling clear. Very malty and sweet sugar like molassas with some rum and port characteristics, alcohol was also present. The sweetness kind of turned my stomach in a way but I went in for a sip. The fruit-berry molassass syrup was a bit much and the alcohol of all things seemed to lend balance. The finish is cola like, as if I was drinking a reduction of a sweetened up cola. Still for such a big beer it had a great body, just not sure if I would want more, until it got about 5 years on it.

03-13-2006 14:13:53 | More by Higravity
NeroFiddled

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

Appearance: Crystal clear; blood-accented mahogany with ruby and orange highlights. No head.
Aroma: A wine and malty combination; alcohol; summer fruit (berries, apple, lightly tart grape)
Taste: Sweet, berry-like. Alcohol is clearly present but it's more back-bone and drying than obtrusive or interfering. It receeds from the palate with grace, leaving behind some floral and fruity notes that linger.
Mouthfeel: Full.
Drinkability: As a sipper, this is one tasty little mother! It's sweet but not overly done, and the fruitiness is quite nice. You could drink more than one, which goes greatly towards drinkability.

01-13-2006 17:59:00 | More by NeroFiddled
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Partying candi sugar create all kinds of molasses and fat chocolate aromas, highly candyish and insanely sweet, but leaning toward the fine liquor or port wine more than the aggressive high alcohol cheap beverages. It passes through a rainbow of fruits before hitting you with its alcohol content all at once, the sweetness becoming hard to tolerate for me. It doesn’t just feel like an unjustified beast, but I’m not the biggest fan of port either, due to a limited tolerance to extreme sugariness. It remains complex and uncommon rather than a caricature, a bit like the upscale Dogfish Head products, so you know what to expect, thick syrupy malts showing you their muscles. Full bodied, light carbonation, long finish.

11-08-2005 01:32:18 | More by Rastacouere