Repent - DuClaw Brewing Company

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  14.00% ABV

Beer added by: Hefe on 09-02-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 56 | Reviews: 24

3.83/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to Adam (the fellow who reviewed this beer just before me) for sharing that aged beauty of a bottle. This review however is from a fresh bomber secured the same day. Poured into a snifter and shared with my father in law who is the #1 fan of Colossus.

The brew appears a burnt copper color that is sticky with haze. When held to the light, it has some ruby hints towards the thickest parts and almost a yellow to greenish tint towards the outside edges. A finger of tan froth sits atop and slowly fades but it remains with impressive retention considering the strength of this brew. Rising bubbles of carbonation help to support the thin cap that resides atop.

The smell of this brew is all about the caramelized sugars. It is sweet and sticky smelling with caramel, toffee, some yeasty spice, candied orange slices and a hefty waft of solvent booze. The alcohol has almost a perfume essence to it that brings out a floral hop quality. As the brew warms up, there is a very mild touch of oxidation which is interesting. This was also present in the aged version (as expected) but to find it here in a fresh bottle was unexpected.

The taste is sticky and sweet with burnt sugar tasting of toffee. An immediate boost of alcohol makes itself known but the sheer amount of sugar keeps the booze in check. A flavor of orange zest comes into play mixing with a faint herbal hop touch that formulates a hint of floral quality across the back of the tongue. More sips reveal almost a candy-like sweetness that is similar to vanilla as it warms up. Speaking of warming up, wow does that alcohol come out almost to the point of burning your nose if you hold it in your mouth too long. I can't help but get a bit of medicinal quality from this.

This is a thick brew with a modest level of carbonation. The alcohol is there for sure. Dont kid yourself, this beer is to be respected and treated like a sipper. If you are a fan of big sticky-sweet boozy beers, you will love this. It would best be served after a hearty meal or hell even as a meal itself. Fans of aged DFH 120 or Colossus will find this mini-me version a pleasant substitute.

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

A 1L swingtop; I've been holding on to this bottle for approximately 5 years. #257 of 500 from that fall 2006 release. Patiently stored since then. Shared with Al, Nate, Ed, Tierney, Jeff, Jeannine and others at the DuClaw unveiling.

A: A deep caramel color. Even with six years under its belt, the bottle opened with an audible pop. Not unsurprisingly, though, all forms of carbonation were missing from the ale. After breathing for a few minutes, the ale sat still like a fine port. I'm really anxious for this one.

S: The nose is spicy, intense with raisins, brown sugar and caramel, with plenty of booze to keep things lively. As compared to the current version (on tap), the ale has lost its sugary sweetness and fortified itself, strengthening over time. Amazing beer; age has done it well.

T: While not a sugary sweet malt bomb, the ale still carries plenty of fruits. Caramel and apple butter flavors mix with the brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon; plenty of booze keeps things hot too. Very complex, no one flavor dominates. That allows every aspect to take a small turn in the sun. A booze bomb when fresh (I still remember drinking this at Arundel Mills on release night), the ale has aged nicely. I really, REALLY wish I had another bottle. This beer should easily last another few years.

M: A perfect beer to share with a large group of people. It has aged well, turning into an excellent Belgian strong ale. Wow, just wow.

2.66/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

No head really or lacing on a slightly hazy copper and crimson body. Aroma is super sweet and tart and so far this is more like a barley wine than a Belgian dark strong at this point. Flavor is ridiculously sweet with caramel toffee and brown sugar. This one definitely overwhelms. Oily body and light to moderate carbonation. I do not recommend buying a bottle unless it is to share with many people.

2.85/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A poured with a small head if off white foam on a hazy, dark amber body, low retention and lace.

S sweet fruit with notes of red apple and plum as well as caramel.

T really sweet toffee and raisins up front. Some syrupy caramel in the middle and a spicy, fruity alcoholic finish.

M a thick, syrupy body, moderate carbonation, and a very sweet finish.

D wow, this is over the top, and unfortunately not in a good way. Too big and too sweet, but at the same time kind of one dimensional.

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours a hazy, orante-ruby to ruby depending on the light, with a 3 finger head in my Duvel tulip. Light lacing that shortly vanishes, leaving a ring around the glass.

Smell of bubble-gum, dried fruits and alcohol.

Possibly the sweetest beer I've ever tasted. Very grapey and vinuous. Not far off from a Port or Sherry.

Medium-thick bodied. Very little bite of carbonation, but the high ABV makes it very warming.

I liked this beer from the start, but by the time I was midway through, I liked it a lot. This would be a great winter time beer.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Enjoyed On-Tap at Duclaw's DC Release event! I must say, I was quite spent after this monster.

A: The beer pours a hazy deep brown in color with about a finger of off-white head. The retention is great but lacing is lacking. 4

S: The aroma is of booze and Belgian yeast. It smells like an extremely boozy quad, perhaps the barrel aged beers are wearing on my ability to smell. 3.5

T: The taste is extremely boozy, but it isn't undrinkable. Certainly Belgian, the extreme level of malt and dark fruits is something I've never experienced before. Its roasty too, which I must say I did not expect. The definition of the big beer, it's just a bit too boozy for me. 3.5

MF: Heavy body with a big hit of booze. Make sure you're sitting down when you try it. It is pretty drinkable, which is a good and bad thing at 14%. 4

Value: $6 for 11oz, which was a lot of this beer. If you haven't yet, I'd say try it once and tell me what you think. 4

O: Overall this was an interesting experiment. Certainly not on the level of Quads or BSDA I've had before, but I did like it. Duclaw tries to push the limits with their beers, and they definitely did just that here. I'd say it was a success. 4

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

4.47/5  rDev +20.2%

OK, it's sweet - yeah, but I like it a lot! This is a super boozey beer at 14.6% ABV but I'm a fan of BIG beers. Nice color, sweet ripe-fruit smell, though high in alcohol I don't find that to be an overwhelming factor. Great beer to wrap up an evening. You can't drink a lot of it but man is it good.

4.42/5  rDev +18.8%

I've had many Duclaw beers in the past. I got a sample pour of this beer last week and they did a great job with it! I only had 2 ounces of the beer, but a serving size is 9 oz. in a snifter.

The color comes to you as a dark brown with a thin tan head. Aroma of huge malt and dark fruits. Flavor matches this with big delicious flavors and sweetness. The body is moderate and mouthfeel was smooth and fresh. Almost unbelievable at 14% ABV! Lacking any hop flavors, aroma, or bitterness but it really hit the spot at the end of the night

A great after dinner dessert drink or a heavy malt bomb to pair with some hearty/foods. Try some!

3.82/5  rDev +2.7%

On Tap @ DuClaw Pub

2012 Edition / Release of this Beer.

A: Pours a cloudy deep deep amber color with no head, just a everlasting thin foam ring around the glass. Massive alcohol legs cling to the glass, at 14.6% ABV this is no surprise.

S: Sweet, lots of ripe dark fruit, raisins, candy sugar, bready yeast and alcohol. Lots of alcohol.

T: This beer is quite sweet . It is smooth but I think that it would definitely benefit from age from the age. Given the ABV you could put 3 - 4 years on this one with no problem and it would be smooth as glass. Following the nose ripe dark fruit raisins and candy sugar fill you mouth just before the big but not overly hot booze comes in and washes it all away leaving a sweet taste behind.

Ml: Thick and syrupy no carbonation to speak of. As mentioned above in this this could be a really smooth beer.

O: With some age the beer will smooth out and be more of a pleasure to drink. I don't know that I will seek this out again, but if offered it I would not decline. Give it a try if you are in a Baltimore are a pub or one of the DuClaw company pubs.

Cheers!

Glass: Snifter.

3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

This was the 2005 version, on-tap at Max's. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy mahogany color with no head to speak of.

Smell: Sweet with lots of ripe dark fruit and some brown sugar.

Taste: This is a really sweet beer. Quite smooth from the age, especially given the abv. Overly ripe dark fruit and brown sugar. The finish is slightly bitter but really sweet.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy. This one is almost flat with a dry finish.

Overall: I was really excited to get to try this. The age smoothed it out really well (I assume it didn't start this way) I don't know that I would want any more

3.67/5  rDev -1.3%

Sample tasted from growler provided by jeffin7 (thanks!).

Poured a dark copper color with smaller sized off white head. Aromas and tastes of dark fruits, grapes, cherries, chocolate and some caramel and spices. Alcohol content completely hidden. Definitely a sipping beer. I found this one to be way too sweet for my tastes though.

Notes from 10/9/05

3.13/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Jeez Loueez DuClaw, what are you trying to do with this? The smell and taste of this beer is so sweet it's almost overwhelming. Lots of cherries and candied raisans in this one, maybe some honey as well.

This beer tastes exactly what it is, which is a mammoth, sweet and malty alcohol bomb. The alcohol (all 14.6% of it) is pretty noticeable, so maybe it's a good thing the beer is so sweet. I cannot imagine drinking a 12 oz. glass of this stuff; my palate was worn out just after a tasting sample.

Maybe others will like this beer, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Edit from 4/15/12. For good or for bad, DuClaw has decided to re-release this beer. Not sure if the recipe has changed, but I do see that the abv. is the same as before (14.6%). As this was one of the first reviews I wrote on BA, it seems only fair to revist it. Sampled at Max's today.

Apearance - same as before
Nose - the beer smells sweet and boozy, but I can't say I'm as overwhelmed by it as I was previously.
taste - Jesus Christ, this stuff is disgusting. As before, the beer is incredibly sweet, syrupy and boozy, with some noticeable heat in the finish. Frankly, my initial score was generous and I've had to lower it. Really, this beer is almost nauseatingly sweet and boozy.

Everything else is the same... this is seriously not a very good beer, and I'll be damned if I can figure out why DuClaw decided to make it again. I guess it will be popular with the frat boy crowd, as at 14.6%, it clearly will get you fucked up pretty quickly. However, that's not what I'm looking for in a beer, and I've scored this beer accordingly.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Repent from DuClaw Brewing Company