Mysterium - DuClaw Brewing Company

MysteriumMysterium

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Imstillthegman on 08-17-2008)

1.78/5  rDev -48.3%

I see...I see a drainpour in my future.

I don't get what the goal was here. Wads of spices, and that would be my diagnosis for the beer as a whole. Nose is soapy and floral with the ton of spices. Ick. It's just too much. Definitely no balance. Definitely nothing interesting or worth visiting. This is the type of Belgian ale that American breweries put out that don't know what they're doing. And on that note: this brewery is starting to move towards the bottom of my list.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

On tap at BWI, the glass arrived with a hazy amber colored brew and a thin head. The beer is spiced--and I mean spiced in every sense of the word--with cardamon. It so dominated the aroma that nothing else could get through.

A little chewy on the palate. Just like the nose, cardamon is everywhere. I am having trouble distinguishing this beer from a Scandinavian dessert. A touch of caramel lends some sweet balance.

This beer has no apparent relation to a "Belgian Style Ale" which is how it was advertised. A heavy hand of cardamon makes this beer feel contrived--lest I say gimmicky.

3.04/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Duclaw variety pack bought at Bryn Mawr beverage a few weeks ago, finally tried this one.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm an IPA guy so this is not my genre of beer at all, but I figured I'd give it a taste and see what it's all about.

Poured into a nonic. Amber/orange color, like a typical belgian beer would look.

Wow, the spices take over the scent immediately. We've got ginger, chamomile, citrus, lemon, maybe some mint, clove, wow....a lot going on.

The taste carries over from the scent, big time. It's like drinking an herbal tea.
As i said, this isn't my type of beer, so for what it is, it's probably not bad, but I almost fee like this is a summer tea drink masked in a beer bottle.

It's a light mouthfeel which is appropriate for this beer.

So overall, the redeeming qualities in my rating is it seems like Duclaw accomplished exactly what they were attempting with this brew. But I am not a fan, personally.
If you like the spiced beer and like ginger/chamomile, this will be right up your alley.

Mysterium from DuClaw Brewing Company