Mysterium - DuClaw Brewing Company

MysteriumMysterium

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Imstillthegman on 08-17-2008)
3.38/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Once more, my local, in-person trader, tone77 has provided me with a beer that I might have otherwise glossed over. Cool!

From the bottle: "A mystical blend of chamomile, grains of Paradise, cardamom, and fruit flavors from Belgian yeast, this Belgian-style spiced ale is a mystery, and a bottle, you'll never want to get to the bottom of. Have a sip and ... transcend ordinary."; "Respect the Fluid"; "Belgian-style spiced ale"; "Ale brewed with spices".

My pour initially resulted in a fizzy finger of tawny head, but with limited retention. Color was a beautiful deep-amber with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to see into the future. It looks like rain, darn it! The nose reminded me of potpourri, a bit too much like perfume. It was certainly spicy, but there just seemed to be too many things going on in it. Mouthfeel was medium and the initial taste was honey-like, followed by a melange of spices, but my palate was not refined enough to discern one from another. Finish was dry, thanks to all of the spices as well as their interaction with the yeast. It was interesting, but just not my cup of tea.

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Tastes like a christmas beer with the tons of cinnimon used.
Darker amber color and a small head.
Aroma is lots of spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and that sort of thing.
Taste is bascially the same. loads of spice that more for Christmas then June.
Maybe around the holidays I might feel different but today ... I don't like it.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

3.48/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle > Pint Glass
A - Pours a clear gold color, minor head, absent lacing.
S - Huge belgian yeast smell that is coated in spices, cinnamon is really pronounced, some banana scents as well.
T - Sweet bready malt with a flowery finish, the cinnamon smell you get you dont really taste but its there, some other spices I cant bother to pick out right now.
M - Bland and thin feel, minor sweetness lingering.
O - Its alright, I love the aroma, but taste and feel fall wayyy short on this beer. I really wish you tasted that good cinnamon flavor that you smell. Might just have to create a take on this style myself.

1.78/5  rDev -48.3%

I see...I see a drainpour in my future.

I don't get what the goal was here. Wads of spices, and that would be my diagnosis for the beer as a whole. Nose is soapy and floral with the ton of spices. Ick. It's just too much. Definitely no balance. Definitely nothing interesting or worth visiting. This is the type of Belgian ale that American breweries put out that don't know what they're doing. And on that note: this brewery is starting to move towards the bottom of my list.

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

3.04/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Duclaw variety pack bought at Bryn Mawr beverage a few weeks ago, finally tried this one.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm an IPA guy so this is not my genre of beer at all, but I figured I'd give it a taste and see what it's all about.

Poured into a nonic. Amber/orange color, like a typical belgian beer would look.

Wow, the spices take over the scent immediately. We've got ginger, chamomile, citrus, lemon, maybe some mint, clove, wow....a lot going on.

The taste carries over from the scent, big time. It's like drinking an herbal tea.
As i said, this isn't my type of beer, so for what it is, it's probably not bad, but I almost fee like this is a summer tea drink masked in a beer bottle.

It's a light mouthfeel which is appropriate for this beer.

So overall, the redeeming qualities in my rating is it seems like Duclaw accomplished exactly what they were attempting with this brew. But I am not a fan, personally.
If you like the spiced beer and like ginger/chamomile, this will be right up your alley.

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

Enjoyed this brew on tap at Duclaw in Bowie out pint glass.

A: Pours an amber hue with absolutely no head (like almost every brew at Duclaw).

S: Spicy fruit and honey aroma.

T: Spicy flavor with a great caramel flavor and hints of ginger and cinnamon in the backgroud.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: I like this beer al lot – great flavors and aromas.

1/20/13 Had this out of the bottle - just as good.

Mysterium from DuClaw Brewing Company