2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Colossus - DuClaw Brewing Company

ColossusColossus

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Strong Ale |  21.92% ABV

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 04-01-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 106 | Reviews: 44 | Show All Ratings:
Ryan011235

2.11/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Poured into a snifter on 6/1/12

A second contribution from Buggy. Keep 'em coming old bean.

A) Burnt, rusty brown. Not much head, of course.

S) Super sugary. Mostly burnt molasses with some maple syrup. Booze heat. Some caramel and, for some reason, vanilla.

T) This tastes truly sugary. What the hell? I've never had a beer this sugary. Molasses, caramel, cane sugar, high fructose corn syrup. Sugar candy s**t.

M) Thick, sweet, sugary feel. Carbonation is low and simply cannot hold up to the weight of the beer.

D) Even a little bit is too much.

09-26-2013 06:51:30 | More by Ryan011235
cdmillard

4.39/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a deep caramel color. Head? None to be found, but not unexpected. Thick and syrupy looking.

S- Incredibly sweet, with some booziness. Maybe dark fruits and honey. Hard to nail down, but very sweet.

T- Sweet. Much like the nose, dark fruits and honey. Someone mentioned candy apples with cinnamon. Might not be too far off. Not nearly as hot as one would expect at 21% ABV. Don't misunderstand me...the alcohol is definitely there, but I have had beers with much lower ABV that were much hotter. I have a bit of a sweet tooth, so the sweetness doesn't bother me, but I don;t know that I could drink it routinely.

M- Syrupy with no carbonation. This is my least favorite aspect of this beer. A little too thick for me.

O- Overall, I like it. It's tasty and just a pleasant beer to drink. I'm sharing the bottle with my sons, because I think it would be a mistake to try to kill it alone. Enjoyable, but not for you if you don;t like sweetness.

06-05-2013 21:48:42 | More by cdmillard
quirkzoo

Colorado

4.95/5  rDev +29.9%

Reviewed blind with several other BA's as part of Blind BIF 7

4 - Appearance is bright orange with almost no head (as is to be expected[wrapping gave warning that it was 15%+) pours really thick despite the clarity.

5 - Smell is amazing. Tons of sweet fruits, lots of fig at first and as it warms a little it gets even sweeter, honeyed apricots, honeysuckle just a lovely smell, really reminds me of a very good dessert wine. Almost no alcohol on the nose which is surprising.

5 - Taste is equally amazing. More sweet fruits, nice light caramel/honey sweetness, not much bitterness, very sweet but not cloying. Alcohol is very well hidden, most of us agree that it tastes like 11%. Perhaps the longest finish of a beer I have ever had it just sticks to the inside of your mouth.

5 - Mouthfeel is perfect for a big beer like this. Big and bold flavors but it doesn't overwhelm your palate, just enough carbonation to give a good cleanse and leave you wanting more.

5 - Overall this is an amazing beer, I have never had anything like it. The consensus is barleywine but it is much fruitier than any barleywine I have ever had. Another BA at the tasting, ucsbmullet commented that he thought it had some age, he guessed about two years. My first guess was a vintage big bottle of DFH Olde School Barleywine but the bottle isn't the right shape and it had an un-branded cap so I am going with my first instinct which is the only 15%+ beer from MD (where Oline73 is from) and that is DuClaw Colossus.

11-19-2012 05:06:21 | More by quirkzoo
inlimbo77

Delaware

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz, not sure on the date.
Hill Farmstead wine glass

A: Pours a light amber color. No head on this guy, but it's to be expected at that ABV. No lacing as well. Alcohol feet when you swirl, but that is about it.

S: Very sweet smelling. Lots of sweet malt. Bready chewy notes. No hops at all. Some caramel and toffee.

T: Taste follows nose. Amazing how the alcohol is fairly well hidden under that sweetness. But the sweetness is extremely cloying. Tough for me to stomach much more than my 4oz pour. Don't even taste a burn of the alcohol with that sweetness.

M: It's full but a thinner full bodied brew.

10-26-2012 16:34:16 | More by inlimbo77
nrbw23

1.33/5  rDev -65.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Pours a odd murky reddish brown color with a very thin head. Pretty much no head just a few bubbles and no lacing.

S- A bit of darker fruits, incredibly sweet smelling and alcohol.

T- BAM! Smashed in the face with sweetness. A totally stupid amount of sweetness. That's all there is to this beer.

M- Medium in body with a syrup like feel to it. Carbonation was pretty low.

O- I'm struggling to drink this glass. Way too sweet.

07-31-2012 20:52:45 | More by nrbw23
zaphodchak

4.58/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Gradient of red through amber, no head, no lace, some legs.

Nose is lovely fruit punch-type fruit, not in a bad way.

Beer is dangerously sweet, tropical. Notes of pineapple, apricots. Tastes a bit like a mixed drink, but not too boozy. Kinda like the Samichlaus Helles. Some apple and cinnamon as well,a s promised on the bottle.

Thinnish mouthfeel but it sticks with you, almost syrupy glycerin.

Impressive, and not what I was expecting, but I don't know what I was expecting... Sweet, but not malty. Almost like mead.

03-17-2012 02:12:21 | More by zaphodchak
Pencible

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%

A: This poured a nearly opaque light mahogany with bit of white head.
S: It smelled like sweet apple and honey and caramel, with some cinnamon wheat bread and alcohol.
T: It tasted like apple cinnamon and sweet honey, with a little caramel and wheat bread and white grapes. The aftertaste was sweet and lasting, with some alcohol warming.
M: It was thick any syrupy with some carbonation. Huge thick body.
D: This was a very nicely brewed beer, given the alcohol level. Scent and taste weren't too over the top. But the body was like sludge and the alcohol was obvious, so it must be sipped. Could probably age forever, but nice now. Bold and complex, and great to contemplate. Recommended.

03-15-2012 19:48:18 | More by Pencible
Khazadum

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Really has trouble generating and maintaining a head here. The coloration is deep caramel with apple cider nature. No collar, very very minimal bubble-age.

S- Super sweet, apples, bit of sulfur nature that I welcome, some spicing. Cinnamon for sure. Is that honey remnants I smell? Little bit of funk going on in the back end, like hay and saddlebag.

T- BLAM! Apples, caramel, cranberry, fruits, peaches. Some dark fruits help blend it out. Definitely has a honey sweetness on the finish and finishes out tangentially bitter. Just a few spots here and there. Delightfully placed.

M- Full bodied, bit creamy, definitely got a nice heat to it. Nothing near what a 20+% beer should be though. This is insanely drinkable. Like, holy shit if I'm not careful I'm gonna be on my face drunk. Not as syrupy as a huge stout or barleywine, so the heat doesn't hide as well, but I've had hotter 9-10% beers than this. Flavors are sticky, but not too long lasting. Very well put together, and it doesn't have anything disjointed I can complain about.

12-21-2011 00:15:03 | More by Khazadum
clayrock81

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Since I have a sweet tooth I was dying to try this and glad I splurged 30 bones (live a little)...poured a reddish copper with small head that died quick and left tiny lace running down my snifter. A boozy aroma of malts as I pick up hints of roasted but mostly some caramel, syrup/molasses and/or sugary goodness, cinnamom and spicy pepper and a touch of chocolate, and for some reason I'm getting a touch of fruit like cherry (the label says apple but it smells/taste like cherry to me). Taste is more of the same as this is an intense brew yet for all its thick, sticky, syrupy, malty goodness I feel that it is surprisingly smooth and easy to drink. Real sweet as the caramel, cinnamon, touches of chocolate, and cherry-like fruit (although w/ label saying apple one could say this beer resembles a strong apple brandy), but also a dry edge as the spices and cinnnamon come into play. I also get a minor citrusy hop bite on the backend, which gives the slightly boozy and warming finish a little crisp snap. This beer was great to sip on and it took me a long time to sip and I think i had a minor buzz but it was worth the price as the sweetness doesn't get grating and kept going down easy and the warming enhanced the sweetness but the beer doesn't get too boozy.

10-04-2011 11:05:52 | More by clayrock81
Viciousknishs

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

A- pours a granet color with a finger of off white head. Retention is actually amazing for the alchohol content.

S- aromas of baked golden apples with cinnamon. Big malty aromas with a spicy phenolic alchohol on the finish.

T- sweet candied apple and spice with a dominate cinnamon note. Spicey balanced alchohol in the middle. Finishes with a malty caramel, powdery sugar and booze warmth long into the aftertaste.

MF- sticky sugary mouthfeel with a medium body and low carbonation.

D- split a 22 with at least 4 friends and you'll be good any more and your done son.

10-03-2011 02:51:58 | More by Viciousknishs
Mora2000

Thanks to jjfoodie for sharing this bottle. I believe this was the second release because it came in a 22 ounce bottle.

The beer pours a reddish-orange color with an off-white head. The aroma is very sweet with a lot of dark fruit, light tartness, caramel and brandy notes.

The flavor is similar. There is a ton of sweetness in this beer. There are also some dark cherries and brown sugar in the flavor, as well as a lot of alcohol. Even though the alcohol is extremely noticeable, I still think it is somewhat well hidden for a beer of this strength.

Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. Glad I got to try this one.

09-25-2011 19:15:15 | More by Mora2000
joefuzz

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

22oz bottle poured into 2 snifters.

Pours a medium red completely see through with minimal head.

Smells strongly of alcohol which is slighty expected with a big honey presence.

Taste is mostly fruity figs and rasins with a great sweet honey aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin easy drinking with low carbonation.

Overall pretty good sipper not something you can have a whole lot of.

Thanks dyan for the hookup

08-28-2011 23:39:54 | More by joefuzz
maximum12

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

Thanks to yourefragile for providing this bottle in a springtime trade. Of course, this is one I just thought I should try given, you know, the mildly high ABV. Most of these I've had turned out not to be gimmicks, but just good brews. Here's to hoping the trend holds. Split with my wife, thank goodness.

Luckily, I don't have to go to work tomorrow (or for the foreseeable future!). Pours flat & cold as a pre-freeze Minnesota lake in November. Same color, too, a dark clear orange, zero head. Smell is subtle. Alcohol, cinnamon, bit of apple & orange jelly. All faint.

Colossus is sweet enough to cause cavities...in my kids upstairs. Sweet runs riot, then breaks into the arms depot & redoubles the mayhem. Within that are a wellspring of treats: candied apples, sugar-rolled oranges, maple syrup fortified with brown sugar, caramel squares, cinnamon. All followed up with another atomic blast of rolling boiled sugar. Surprisingly, this is a gentle, easy-tempered brew that wouldn't even be stopped at a checkpoint for having alcohol on its breath - it deserves a Nobel for hiding it. The definition of syrupy, this is thick as grade B molasses & almost as carbonated.

I'm going to be sipping this one for a couple of hours. Either that, or be asleep someplace between here & bed. Damn. Good beer that could easily be split 4 or 5 ways.

08-23-2011 02:11:41 | More by maximum12
BlackWednesday

3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

22 oz bomber-clear amber color w/a mohogany tint & no head. Sweet raisin aroma. Very sweet flavors of raisins, toffee, caramel, & some faint candied sugar. Amazingly, the alcohol is not overpowering, but it has quite the warming property to it. A definite sipper, very sweet, almost like a mead or aptiff. Great after dinner drink, but you aren’t gonna drink too much of this. I think it will age well, we’ll see. Long sweet finish.

07-16-2011 07:13:31 | More by BlackWednesday
oline73

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

I had this on-tap at the pints and pancakes even at T-bonz. Poured into a Colossus snifter. They had maple syrup made with Colossus at the event.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish amber with very small bubbles. This beer clings to the glass. There is a layer of off white head that goes away.

Smell: Very sweet. Notes of dark fruit and cherries. Definitely picking up some of the alcohol in the nose.

Taste: Follows closely from the smell. Really sweet with hints of dark fruit, caramel, maple, and cherry. I'm picking in the alcohol, but it's actually really well balanced given the incredibly high abv. The finish is a bit bitter, which only fit alright with the rest of the beer.

Mouthfeel: Body is on the thick side. This one sticks to your mouth. The carbonation is mild and the finish is extra dry.

Overall: Really smooth considering the abv. I think this one was better than the last batch.

07-10-2011 16:43:24 | More by oline73
jayhawk73

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

A- Pours a dark brown w/ a red tinge to it. A sliver of a cocoa head, which quickly disappears to mere bubbles around the edges. Decent carbonation, and almost no lacing.

S- Whoa.. This smells like it's name- impossibly big smells. I'm really starting to wonder what I'm getting myself into here. Malt, fruits, rum, alcohol, plus a lot of other fringe smells I can't identify. Not overpowering though, and somewhat balanced considering the ABV...

T- Wow. The flavor just explodes in your mouth, with different things cycling to the forefront for 5 seconds. Long slow alcohol burn that I can feel all the way to my stomach. Not overpowering burn though. This beer is really tasty, and fairly smooth considering the almost 22% ABV. Definitely a sipper though. Nice work DuClaw.

M- Feels like taking a shot of 151 w/ fruit juice. Doesn't taste like that, but the alcohol presence is similar in the feel department.

O- Really nice beer by DuClaw- and totally lives up to its name. This is a beer to be sipped, savored, respected, and probably shared. I enjoyed this one, and if you like big, bold beers, you will too. Just remember the ABV, or you might end up on the floor!

07-09-2011 23:52:37 | More by jayhawk73
mikesgroove

South Carolina

Glad to have shared this with myself at my nightly tastings in my living room with my wife and my cat.

now this is the definition of a massive beer!!

Poured a deep dark brown, with a big head that fadeed to nothing. Some nice lace down the glass, lots of activity left in the film on top, looks good. Smell was so complex it is even hard to describe. Everytime you went near it you smelled something different. Bready tones the first time, spiceness the second, alchol, some fruitness, a bit of the hops, it offeres a variety in every sense of the word. the taste is big, thick, full of alcohol, which is not even remotely hidden here. Lots of dark fruits and berries can be found in here if you look. Grassy tones, apricot, pear, very complex and lots of flavors seem to be battling each other. Almost tastes like a cross between an american and belgian strong due to al the complex things going on in here

07-08-2011 02:57:27 | More by mikesgroove
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

I had this on tap at the Bowie location while gathering some swag for a beer trade.

"Size does matter!"

A: Almost clear, but not quite, orange-amber color, with a mild bit of sticky lacing. More head than I expected for a beer this strong, but still insignificant overall.

S: Intense sugar bomb, but still intriguing and very surprisingly fragrant. Ultra-ripe banana, more than a tinge of honey, attached to a big malt backbone.

T: You gotta be kidding me? This is about as smooth as it gets for a brew that clocks in at 21.92% The honey takes center stage, but it also had a sort of "Mallow creme" taste (and aftertaste) that I personally found sublime. Cloying, but I'll bet dollars for donuts that that was the brewers' intention!

M: Sticky, uber sweet, and with a slight prickle that subbed as carbonation. Not much lacing, but the mouth coat was substantial.

O: Really nice! To be honest, I had never had any desire to try this beer due to its price and it's gimmicky nature. However, I'm glad I did! This is twice as good as DFH's high octane brews such as: World Wide Stout, Raison D'Extra, and Olde School... for starters.

06-29-2011 19:30:59 | More by Chaney
drabmuh

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

On draft at the brewpub....beer is interesting and probably the best example of a high alcohol beer hiding its alcohol. Seriously.

Beer is amber with a mild haze, small head, no lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is sweet and smells a little like apples, the beer has this fruitiness to it but there is close to no alcohol in the nose.

Beer is thin and super sweet, reminds me of apple brandy. Shockingly not boozy, very sweet, not bitter, mildly dry finish. I'd wager to say I'd have this again. Illogical, very smooth for a beer of this strength. Shocking really.

06-27-2011 03:50:56 | More by drabmuh
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

On tap at the lovely Arundel Mills Mall DuClaw location. Served in a 6 ounce brandy snifter.

The beer pours a slightly hazy, brownish amber color with good head retention and little or no lacing. The nose is enticing, as I pick up brown sugar, calvados apple brandy, vanilla, maraschino cherry and light chocolate. The flavor profile generally replicates the nose, but this beer is so sweet and boozy, it really drowns out all the other flavors. On the other hand, the alcohol is very well integrated into the flavor profile, as this beer is not at all hot or tiring on the palate. Obviously, this beer is very rich and a bit heavy/weighty on the palate, but thats to be expected in a beer with this kind of abv.

An interesting beer, but it took me over a half hour just to drink my 6 ounce serving (my cheeks were starting to warm half way through). In small portions, this would make a nice after dinner drink or liquer. Not sure what I would ever do with an entire bomber of this stuff.

06-20-2011 13:58:15 | More by johnmichaelsen
ckollias

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Enjoyed this draft beer out of a small snifter glass at Duclaw in Bowie, MD.

A: Mahogany – amber ale with a small white wispy lace that quickly disappears.

S: Wow - strong fruity aroma – like a barley wine but stronger.

T: Smooth rich ale with a strong fruity background and generous sweetness. Carmel, spices, cinnamon and syrup are all present. Alcohol is dominant but balanced nicely by the sweetness so it is not too overpowering.

M: Full body and light carbonation

O: This is a sipping beer @ 21 % alcohol by volume. It is strong and robust and amazing! Wow – That is all I can say.

06-18-2011 02:12:53 | More by ckollias
stakem

Thanks to Deuane for sharing this monster at a recent tasting. Talk about bad decisions? Seriously who puts a 20+% abv brew into a 1 liter swingtop wax dipped bottle... And what type of gathering does it take to whip something like this out? Donno but we should do it more often!

Poured into a mini snifter, this brew appears a clear amber orange color with a white cap that fades quickly holding tight around the edge of the glass. Some spotty lace makes it's way along the walls of the glass and sticks. When swirled, translucent legs droop down the glassware.

The smell of this brew is sweet caramel malt that is quite candy-like somewhat reminiscent of candied apples. It has some toasty grain scents that get mixed with a scent of molasses and some spiced aspect like nutmeg. More sniffs reveal some brown sugar suggestions and a bit more fruity alcohol.

The taste of this brew is sweet, very sweet but it needs to be to combat the amount of alcohol that's included. There is a persistent flavor that suggests oxidation with a faint cardboard character but it isn't distracting. The main flavor profile here is candied, molasses and a spicy sort of brown sugar. After the initial shock and awe of sweetness, this brew offers a drying bitterness that is somewhat herbal and had an aftertaste that is lightly smoky like a burnt molasses.

This is a full bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. For the huge abv, it was very approachable and I would certainly drink it again. During the tasting of this brew Deuane made the comment that this tastes like the beer version of Boilo... Honestly, I can't disagree with that. Spot on with that comment Deuane, thanks again for sharing!

04-13-2011 14:05:51 | More by stakem
CuriousMonk

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Had on tap at an Oktoberfest event in MD. Wow. Pours mahogany with a small tan head. Aroma is of fruit, honey, wheat, and spice. There is not much alcohol in the aroma, which is surprising. Taste is of very dry honey, dark fruit especially raisins, and wheat. Lingering taste of sugary, dark fruit. The alcohol is well masked, but you definitely know it is there. It doesn't creep up on you, in facerapes you for the entire beer. Mouthfeel is sticky, but drinks easy. The drinkability given the amount of alcohol is frightening.

02-23-2011 14:59:04 | More by CuriousMonk
emerge077

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to Joe for breaking out this brainbuster... Review from notes.

Ominously large liter bottle with yellow wax, as pictured here. Poured placidly into a small snifter, bright vibrant orange with high clarity. A loose ring of bubbles cluster on the surface.

Aroma was sweet and fruity... plum, apple, slight spiciness in the background. No real hint of alcohol, just fruit syrup sweetness, and little else.

Sticky sweet fruit cocktail of plum, pear, and apple. Malt? Nope. Syrupy body, and rather sweet, which effectively masks the alcohol. Surprisingly drinkable. A 22% booze bomb is the perfect way to end a night, just be sure to split the bottle 8 ways or more... thanks Joe!

02-13-2011 02:50:43 | More by emerge077
hdofu

4.7/5  rDev +23.4%

A whopper of a beer this is. The biggest I've had from duclaws and undeniably huge. Pours an attractive marmalade brown color with a thin orange tan head. Smell is like marmalade as well. Taste starts out like marmalade but breaks down into cinnamon and nutmeg and cloves finally goin to a thin trace of malts. Considering the strength it has this beer is a rather gentle giant not revealing its huge abv in its taste (I barely noticed any burn). The drinkability of this beer is almost scary but luckily it's huge price and low availability inhibits drinking alot of it

02-12-2011 06:32:02 | More by hdofu