Colossus - DuClaw Brewing Company

good

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Strong Ale |  17.30% ABV

Brewed in 2006, 2011, and again in 2014 to push the limits of our own skills and imagination, Colossus is dark amber in color and full-bodied with a perceptively sweet flavor profile accented by notes of apple, and a surprisingly tame alcohol presence on the palate in light of its staggering 17.3% abv. This astounding alcohol content is achieved through fermentation alone; no alcohol is introduced at packaging nor it distilled. Multiple grains are used in conjunction with three different yeast strains to produce a beer that simply defies classification… and most laws of nature. One sip of this behemoth brew and you’ll agree: Sometimes size does matter!

2011 Batch - 21.92% ABV
2014 Batch - 17.3% ABV

(Beer added by: Kegatron on 04-01-2009)

1.33/5  rDev -63.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Pours a odd murky reddish brown color with a very thin head. Pretty much no head just a few bubbles and no lacing.

S- A bit of darker fruits, incredibly sweet smelling and alcohol.

T- BAM! Smashed in the face with sweetness. A totally stupid amount of sweetness. That's all there is to this beer.

M- Medium in body with a syrup like feel to it. Carbonation was pretty low.

O- I'm struggling to drink this glass. Way too sweet.

1.5/5  rDev -59%

1.5/5  rDev -59%

1.65/5  rDev -54.9%

Yikes! Not what I expected at all. Tastes like corn syrup with maple flavor added. If Aunt Jemima brewed a beer I imagine this is what I think it would taste like. The beer has good carbonation and a nice look to it but there is way too much unfermented sugar left in this beast. The reason the alcohol is hidden so well is because of the sugar. I don't have a problem with sweet beers either...this one just missed the mark for me.

2.11/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Poured into a snifter on 6/1/12

A second contribution from Buggy. Keep 'em coming old bean.

A) Burnt, rusty brown. Not much head, of course.

S) Super sugary. Mostly burnt molasses with some maple syrup. Booze heat. Some caramel and, for some reason, vanilla.

T) This tastes truly sugary. What the hell? I've never had a beer this sugary. Molasses, caramel, cane sugar, high fructose corn syrup. Sugar candy s**t.

M) Thick, sweet, sugary feel. Carbonation is low and simply cannot hold up to the weight of the beer.

D) Even a little bit is too much.

2.25/5  rDev -38.5%

This is really just a mess of a beer. Too many high fermentable sugars results in a thin bubbly boozy brew with little identity. Lots of cider notes, astringency and fusels. For the price, it should be avoided...certainly are better versions of an American strong ale out there. I have another bottle, so might revisit it and revise this if I have even a slightly better experience, but as of now, this was a drain pour for me...

2.25/5  rDev -38.5%

2.34/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle poured into Chimay Chalice

A: hazy dark copper color almost the color of rust hard pour no head

S: cloves spices

T: Apple cinnamon sweet disgustingly so and booze lots of it

M: cloying as shit

O: this is like drinking gasoline with a ton of sugar added, it's absolutely awful

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

This beers pours a golden color with a foamy white head. I was surprised how light this beer was in color as I would expecting a thick dark colored ale with low carbonation.

The beers is thick and syrupy. It is sweet, boozy, medicinal, and solvent like. It can best be described as cough syrup or syrupy running alcohol.

Overall it is a very poorly done beer and not one that I will be trying again.

2.52/5  rDev -31.1%

2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

I tried this once before, more than a year ago for the first time and didn't like it at all so I saved a second bottle for nearly a year to both improve its taste and my appreciation. Fail.

The pour is a deep golden that collectively looks like brown bottle color with only a slight crescent of head around half the rim.

Raisins primarily and alcohol with something like coconut in the nose. Very sugary.

Tastes more like a sweet barley raisin liquor than anything in my mind. It would be a good mixer in another drink; like a Colossus and ginger ale but now I'm just imagining. Sickly sweet that gets very bready is the syrup subsides and succumb to the underlying alcohol scrubbing. The finish is dry but not clean.

Mouthfeel is syrupy, with little carbonation. This should be a sipper but you'll want another drink on the side.

I'm having trouble finishing a single glass. This might make a good marinade or other cooking ingredient. Not a beer.

2.76/5  rDev -24.6%

2.79/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a clearish amber color - honestly, I expected something darker here. The head is a finger high, with a white shade. Since the texture is bubbly like soda (and since the gravity is so massive, natch), retention just plain sucks. No lacing either, but there are some impressive alcohol legs. (3)

Smell: Whoa, this is spiced? I'm definitely picking up some notes of cinnamon here. And booze. Wow, I can't believe it, a 17.3% beer smells boozy! Aside from the booze, there are also huge amounts of sugar, alongside some fruit punch, apple, white grape, brown sugar, and a little diacetyl. While it doesn't smell particularly appealing per se, it earns brownie points just for being so damn unique. (3)

Taste: This is intensely sweet. And intensely spicy. And intensely hot. It starts off with massive notes of apple cider before gaining a cinnamon-laden middle and a boozy finish. After many sips, caramel flavors start appearing in earnest. Normally, cinnamon in a beer bothers me if it's not ballasted by a load of sweetness - well, that's not a problem wit this beer, that's for damn sure. It's starting to dawn on me...the initial flavor is apple cider, and the finishing flavor is cinnamon whiskey...HOLY CRAP THIS IS LIKE A 12 OZ BOTTLE OF ANGRY BALLS. Though the alcohol presence is strong, it's well restrained - unlike the sweetness, that is. This is one of those brews where I need a drink in between sipping this to cleanse my palate. I never like doing that while drinking beer, but it genuinely works in making this beer seem (slightly) less cloying. (2.75)

Mouthfeel: Since it's so sweet, it leaves behind huge amounts of residual sweetness on the palate, while the back of the throat and esophagus are heated by the alcohol presence. On the tongue directly, booziness is suppressed (more like smothered) by the huge sweetness. There's a small prickle of carbonation to help will it down more easily. (2.5)

Overall: I like to think that I get this beer. I don't necessarily like it, but I get what DuClaw was shooting for here. The main problem here is that it's way too sweet without showing much in the way of nuance or depth. I fear my subjectivity against monster beers like this is hurting my score, but even still, I wouldn't buy it again. (2.75)

2.79/5: Rather unsophisticated, but if you enjoy mixing apple cider with Fireball, you'll probably love this

Colossus from DuClaw Brewing Company