1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Divine Retribution - DuClaw Brewing Company

Divine RetributionDivine Retribution

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Strong Ale |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: 321jeff on 01-14-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 40 | Reviews: 10 | Show All Ratings:
stakem

2.21/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

DuClaw event at Als. Draft offering served in a snifter. The brew appears black in color with some big bubble composition that fades fast to thin tan head. Some spotty lace sticks to the glass with a thin penline of bubbles around the edge of the glass.

The aroma has a touch of roasted character before turning all solvent with alcohol that is almost perfume-like with aerosol. Trying to sort through the bad qualities of this brew shows a trace amount of dark fruit like raisons.

The flavor is reminescent of nail polish remover and burnt/solvent alcohol like paint thinner. It is minorly roasty with burnt stale coffee and a hint of raisons. Overall it seems off.

This is a medium to full bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is quite rough going down. I really hope this is just a new blended batch and not indicative of what the bottles are like. I dont understand how this beer/blend is this terrible considering how much I like Colossus and Retribution on their own. Its almost like the worst barrels from Retribution aging were set aside and Colossus was used to try and hide the faults of the aging gone bad. Just my opinion but this is pretty terrible.

10-29-2013 13:17:14 | More by stakem
larryi86

Delaware

3.99/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle, 52 of 168, poured into a snifter

A- Black with a small one tan head.

S- Sweet and boozy, bourbon, dark fruits, chocolate, vanilla.

T- Sweet, sweet, sweet, candied sugar, dark fruits, bourbon, oak, vanilla, chocolate, alcohol, but not overly boozy for being 15.5% ABV. The more I drink this the more I enjoy it.

M- Full body, syrupy, booze are not too harsh.

O- Reading others reviews I think that this is starting to mellow, still a little hot and crazy sweet. I like this a little more than the first batch of Retribution. Down fall of this beer is how sweet it is, but it had mellowed enough by now that I feel I can drink a 22 oz bottle by myself. Wish I had another bottle to age longer because it seem like it could be getting better....

04-26-2013 00:46:37 | More by larryi86
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

2.38/5  rDev -37.2%

On tap at Max's the other day. Initially, I was quite surprised to see this was still available from the rare and obscure BBW event from the previous day. At least until I tried it...

The beer pours a blackish brown color with virtualy no head retention or lacing. This looks like a stout that has seen some serious barrel aging, but even so, I was surprised by the limited amount of carbonation in this beer. Didn't pick up much on the nose initially (it was served pretty cold), but as it warmed, I got a nice aroma of bourbon, dark chocolate and light vanilla. On the palate however, this beer was sweet to the point it was nearly undrinkable (it literally was setting off my gag reflex). There was lots of creamy chocalate and vanilla, but this beer was so sweet and boozy, even a 4 ounce sample glass was more than I could handle (fortunately, some BA friends were near by, and I quickly gifted them my remaining beer) . Frankly, I found this beer disgusting (that's how sweet it was), and I'm a guy who normally enjoys bourbon flavored imperial stouts (by comparison, a glass of BCBS I enjoyed afterwards had almost no noticeable sweetness - which should give you some idea as to how sweet this beer was). Mouthfeel was fairly full, and the beer had a very long, incredibly sweet and boozy finish. Alcohol was very noticeable (as you would expect given this level of sweetness and abv.), and I found this beer to be an undrinkable mess.

Yuck!!!

10-28-2012 18:24:39 | More by johnmichaelsen
BeerThursdays

Delaware

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to Bo for the bottle. #74. Wasn't sure if I'd ever open one.

A - Near black with a thin white head.

S - Lots of alcohol and sweetness. You know this thing is huge just by the smell. Bourbon and chocolate all over this thing.

T - Super sweet and hot. Like SUPER sweet. More times is needed to tame this one. Vanilla figs and rasins. Mellows a TINY bit as it warms up in the sweetness, but then vanilla and chocolate push through.

M - Not much carb. Not too heavy either. For such a big beer, it's drinkable, if you like sugar water. Alcohol is surprisingly well hidden, but I guess that's from the overwhelming sweetness.

O - I see what they were going for, but it's not quite there. I'll revisit this one in about ... 3 years. It can't go bad at this ABV, and it hopefully mellows out.

07-28-2012 05:23:19 | More by BeerThursdays
Rhettroactive

District of Columbia

From 22oz silver wax dipped bottle to Devil's Backbone glass on 5/5/12
*From notes

-- Thanks for the tick, Siege --

A: Like liquid fig juice in my glass. Hints of purple around the rim. A good pour yields a minor head and no lacing or real semblance of a collar.

S: Sweet bourbon. Hints of candied sugar. It's not overly complex, but it's pleasant enough.

T: Like the regular Retribution (and Colossus to a fair degree), this is quite sweet. Of the two, I get more of the Colossus, which stands to reason. The barrel character stands out here, there's a lot of bourbon all over this thing. A little of this goes a long way, as the residual sugar really begins to grate on me. But it's pretty good stuff. Much better then I'd hoped for.

M: Thick and dense. The carbonation is on point, and it's got a real viscosity to it that helps bump the beer up a notch.

O: I liked it. Was it worth driving all the way to Annapolis to then spend $30 to purchase? No, but it's a worthy tick none the less. It certainly exceeded my expectations, and if I had one in my cellar, I'd hold it for at least another eight to twelve months.

05-09-2012 20:47:07 | More by Rhettroactive
billab914

3.6/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Siege06nd for sharing this one the other night. It poured dark brown, almost cola like in color. A thin tan head clung to the edges of the glass.

The aroma shows a lot of sweetness to it with notes of brown sugar and a slight vanilla presence to it. The bourbon is a little boozy, but pretty decent. Some roasted, dark malts are noticeable as well.

The taste is also sweet with the vanilla, brown sugar and some milky chocolate coming through. It has a bit of a sugary fruity sweetness to it as well. It's a little hot in the finish and definitely sweet, but not a bad tasting beer at all.

Mouthfeel is medium with low carbonation. Like regular Retribution, I found it decent but overly sweet, sugary and a little fruity. The barrel and dark malts could have shined through a little more in my opinion. Not a bad beer overall, but not a real outstanding one of the style either. I'd still take Oaked Blackjack over either of the Retribution versions I've had.

05-08-2012 19:35:04 | More by billab914
Thorpe429

Bottle courtesy of yourefragile. Served in a snifter.

Pours near-black with a thin mocha head that quickly turns into a collar. The nose carries some strong bourbon notes plus heavy chocolate and a bit of roast. Really strong barrel notes. A bit of vanilla and oak. The flavor is really quite strong and it surprisingly isn't all THAT boozy considering the ABV. Nice bourbon character throughout. Quite good; I'd have this again for sure.

01-18-2012 23:14:42 | More by Thorpe429
drabmuh

Maryland

3.73/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks Mike. Served in a snifter. Beer is dark brown, hazy, wispy head, tan head. No lacing low carbonation. Looks fine.

Aroma is shockingly good, sweet, boozy, mild roast. Really, shocking how good it smells.

Beer is sweet, a little boozy, thin up front. A little dry, the beer is a little boring and hot but it was better than I expected.

01-14-2012 20:28:48 | More by drabmuh
yourefragile

District of Columbia

3.98/5  rDev +5%

Bottle 4 of 164 shared by Jeff. Consumed while listening to and enjoying Murder by Death's Who Will Survive and What Will be Left of Them. At the time it made sense...

Pours a clear dark brown color with ruby tinged edges and a thin light tan head that settles to a thin bubbly collar. Decadent sweet aroma of caramel, brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, bourbon, plum, figs, and vanilla. Sweet and mildly spicy without being cloying. Light, medium thick body with soft carbonation and a smooth, thick finish; exceptionally boozy but not distractingly so. Flavor is fruity and Colossus like in the front before a surprisingly dry and bitter finish. Similar blend of flavors to nose, but more fruity; plum, raisin, grape, etc dominate. Somehow, this exceeds fresh Colossus, aged Colossus or any barrel of Retribution I've tried; in general the overall experience exceeds the individual parts of this beer. A shame that this was so "rare" but I'm optimistic for future releases in this series.

01-14-2012 07:56:04 | More by yourefragile
321jeff

Maryland

3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottle 4 of 164. 22oz bomber for $30.

Pours a deep ruby brown with just a ring of tan head that hangs around for the duration.

Aroma is full of bourbon with some mild roasty bitterness in the background.

Taste is pretty sweet with a distinct taste of plums, and also hints of cinnamon in the background.

Mouthfeel is not as thick as I would have expected for a beer of this gravity. Carbonation is minimal, but I'm good with that. It's not as frightening as I had expected, it's actually enjoyable.

01-14-2012 04:20:28 | More by 321jeff