2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Oak Old Flame - DuClaw Brewing Company

Oak Old Flame
No picture uploaded.
good

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

Old Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: russwbeck on 05-25-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 13 | Reviews: 1 | Show All Ratings:
russwbeck

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

Enjoyed On-Tap at The Big Hunt for Duclaw's DC Release event!

A: The beer rests in my Repent glass a hazy brown color with a finger of off-white head. The retention is great, and head coats the glass all the way down. 4.5

S: The aroma is full of molasses, malt, and other sweetness. I'm not getting a lot of barrel treatment here, but that could be due to the overwhelming sweetness of the beer. 4

T: The bourbon does NOT hide on the taste! Big bourbon and vanilla hit mix with the molasses and caramel malts in a way that just destroys your taste buds in a great way. The wood is toned down here from the Oaked X1, but I did prefer the X1 to this. It probably goes back to my love for the imperial stout world. This is very good, just not top notch like X1 was. If you love an aggressive molasses and malty Old Ale, grab this right now. 4

MF: The body is lighter than I expected and very sweet. Medium in carbonation and a decent amount of booze. It isn't quite as drinkable for me because I don't think it tastes as good as X1, but overall the barrel aging is pretty nice and plays with the old ale in a good way. 4

Value: This one was graciously picked up by @DuclawBrad, which was awesome. Typically costs around $6 for a little less than 11oz. It was certainly worth it free! I'd still recommend you try it. 5

O: I'm not really into Old Ales, but I enjoyed this one. The barel aging was nice, and the boozy sweetness didn't get to me. 4

05-25-2012 02:10:58 | More by russwbeck