Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 1,869 | Reviews: 310
Reviews by cmq103:
1.4/5  rDev -63.2%

This beer is another example of how people's taste buds must vary wildly, perhaps based on individual DNA. For me, the smell and the taste both made me slightly nauseated. While there WAS an odor of peanut butter and chocolate, I found it cloying. Right from that point, it was a bit of a struggle to take the first sip. With that first sip, and the few I took thereafter, my mouth involuntarily grimaced and my body actually briefly shivered.

I can only blame myself. I bought this bottle - just the one thankfully - because the name cracked me up. A friend who had tried it previously warned me - but I figured what the heck?

As I write this, the beer is sitting next to the keyboard looking all ominous. Of the 12 ounces, I think I have sipped through maybe 3. I can continue torturing myself by forcing myself to finish this to avoid the waste of the purchase price. Or I can pour it and just accept the loss. I just closed my eyes and inhaled from the glass once again, trying to be less biased. It smelled more of chocolate milk with a bit of peanut butter. But then opening my eyes and seeing this black ale again is making me feel vaguely sick.

Obviously, a fair number of reviewers LIKE this. So, like most beers, it has hit the mark for some folks. But I cannot finish it. I just can't. The only other beer I have had to pour in recent memory was some horrible chile beer from Mexico. Honestly, I find this beer to be at least as bad as that was, and I never thought I would ever react so negatively to another beer after I tried that one.

Kudos to the brewer, though, DuClaw makes some very fine brews! Normally, I really like "out of the box" experiments with beer styles and flavors. This one just didn't work for me.

And now, I must regretfully take this glass over to the kitchen sink....

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep muddy brown, with a caramel colored head - good retention.

Smells of peanut butter, chocolate, and malt.

Taste is peanut butter followed by bitter chocolate rounded out with some faint coffee notes. It has an almost yeasty malt after taste. This is a solid Porter, but not great.

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a deep-deep brown color with a one finger of tan colored head. The head has a good level of retention, slowly fading to leave a moderate level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is quite heavy of a roasted malt smell mixed with a whole lot of a milk chocolate aroma. Other sweeter smells of caramel and a rather potent showing of a roasted peanut butter smell also are in the aroma. A bit of coffee is there as well, producing an overall aroma of a somewhat drier peanut butter cup nature.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweet milk chocolate taste with a moderate roasted malt and light coffee flavor. While little peanut butter taste is present upfront, it begins coming in soon after the initial flavors hit the tongue. All while this occurs, the sweeter flavors seem to get even sweeter with more milk chocolate and caramel coming to the tongue and with some of the coffee flavors dwindling. A little bit of a roasted bitter flavor joins the flavor at the very end of the taste leaving a nice and sweet chocolaty and moderately peanut buttery flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – For a porter of 6.5 % abv. this one is a little on the thinner side with a carbonation level that is a bit on the higher side. For the sweeter milk chocolate and peanut butter flavors, a bit of a thicker body may have created a slightly better and more dessert like feel, but even said the higher carbonation was actually quite nice for the sweet flavors and made for a more easy drinkability in the beer. So with that the feel was fairly nice overall.

Overall – A nice sweet chocolate peanut butter cup brew with a good drinkability and abv. If the body was only a little bit thicker this would be spot on for a dessert brew. Even so this is really a quite nice brew overall.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: A medium to dark brown color with a one finger light brown head. Slight glass lacing.

S: Wow, peanut butter? For sure! I got lots of peanut butter and chocolate on the nose, some roasted notes and slight sweetness. Great smelling brew!

T: Well, I'm a little let down here based on the outstanding smell. The peanut butter flavor is really way more just plain nutty rather than peanut butter. Loads of hazelnut mix with dark chocolate flavors and some roasted flavor. Some toffee sweetness mixes with the nuttiness and chocolate as the finish turns slightly bitter with hops. Roasted flavor seems to linger in my mouth.

M: Medium, a little thin actually. Good carbonation, no alcohol.

O: I really wish the beer could have followed through with the peanut butter flavor as much as it had it on the nose, but alas it didn't. Still it was a very solid porter that was enjoyable.

Solid beer that I will buy again to have when I want something different, but not a beer I would drink regularly.

3.8/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to the few people who have thrown this in as an extra in trades... I haven't had many "peanut butter" beers, but I always love trying new and off-the-wall things, so I was very happy to have a few bottles of this stuff. It pours a dark brown that appears nearly black once it's sitting in the glass. The tan head fades quick but leaves a few small patches of spotty lacing in its path. Translucent only at the beer's extremities.

Mushy, dense, and creamy peanut butter clouds the aroma, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The helping hands of the deeply roasted chocolate malts meshes with the peanut butter to remind us of the combination that has become so popular today. A slight bit of char and roast on the tail end keeps that "stout-y" smell alive, while still being decadently sweet from the soft peanut butter addition.

The first sip tells me that the peanut butter is a bit heavier on the aroma that it will be on the palate, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The taste has a bit more cocoa to it; kind of sweet, soft, and creamy with a bit of roast on the back end. Peanut butter is still an important piece to this puzzle, however - even peanut butter in small amounts can be a powerful statement.

At times, Sweet Baby Jesus can be a bit astringent, with a darting, slightly acidic bitterness that most likely manifests from the roast. It's got that "burning cola" feel. Nothing to be too alarmed about, although it does take the drinkability down just a notch. The finish contains a touch of nutty peanut butter and a light dusting of sweet cocoa. The body on this is a bit thinner than I would have liked, especially for the flavors involved; sharp carbonation, kind of brash and dry in the finish.

I'm trying to think of any other peanut butter porters/stouts that I've had and the only other one that immediately jumps into my head is Odd Side's Peanut Butter Cup Stout. I like that one a little better; the feel the peanut butter is integrated a bit more successfully, giving off a more authentic "peanut butter cup" feel, not to mention the astringency is a non-issue. Either way, this is still a nice peanut butter beer and I'd definitely get it again if it were available to me.

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #74 (Mar 2013):

Artificial flavors? Seriously? Doesn’t that take the “craft” out of “craft beer”? Is this cheating? Pretty much impossible to get past these flavor additions, and the base of the beer is pretty generic as well. While the concept is great, using artificial flavors in beer never works—unless of course your consumers are used to consuming artificial flavors. Really surprised DuClaw went down this road. Barely passable.

STYLE: Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter
ABV: 6.5%
AVAILABILITY: Seasonal

LOOK: Dark brown, nearly opaque, solid head

SMELL: Odd, sweet cordials, artificial, roasty, faux peanut butter, vague chocolate, brownies

TASTE: Smooth, slick, medium bodied, artificial peanut butter, generic chocolate fudge syrup, roasty, modest hopping, kiss of alcohol, a little thin; grainy, dry, toasty finish

Our Score: 70
BA Overall: 88

3.69/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark but not pitch black, just as a porter should be

S: Very interesting, it smells of peanut butter but its got a metallic smell as well which is why I cannot rate it higher

T: Actually tastes like peanut butter without making me want to throw up. Very well done for this style

M: Solid

O: I am rating this beer for what it is, it isn't something you would drink 4 of in one night but it is good when drinking one here or there. Usually gimmicky/novelty beers like this gross me out but this one was not bad, I am a sucker for peanut butter!

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Poured a very small, cream colored head that dissipated quickly. Very dark in color but held to light appears red.

S: Strong peanut butter smell with some chocolate notes underneath. The mixture of the two remind me of coffee.

T: An excellent balance of chocolate and peanut butter flavors, but no other dominant flavors.

M: Not as thick and creamy as you might expect a chocolate stout. The carbonation is just right despite the low head.

O: While the combination of chocolate and peanut butter is not universally unique, it is unique for beer. I think the balance in the two flavors is excellent, but this unique beer is not one I will drink often.

4.41/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

If you like or love Reese's peanut butter cups this is your beer. Chocolate and peanut butter in a very nice porter. I will definitely be purchasing more and recommending to friends. This is a delightful after dinner drink, that satisfies the sweet tooth and beer craving after a nice meal. Very smooth taste, and finish. Pick some up if you can find it!

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

An excellent combination of roasty malts with peanut butter. The peanut butter is pronounced and adds to the flavor of the beer. One of the better beers I have had in some time.

3.22/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 11/5/13 -- first real experience with a Porter beer --- tried to keep an open mind. Good body and taste - heavy chocolate smell and felt good in the mouth. Got better and contained much better with stonger flavor over time. Really liked the apperance.

4.36/5  rDev +14.7%

Exponentially better on tap, but the bottles have some serious peanut aromatics and flavors going on. This was bottled on 1/29/14, guess what it looks ruby cola deep brown, with a nice tan mocha head forming nicely. Fine speckled bands of lacing, great looking beer sitting in my glass. Aromatics are peanut butter to the core, think peanut skins and Jiff. Wonderful smell A+ there's not a better smelling beer around with this much similarity to a Reese's peanut butter cup!!! Flavor is dry finished with the peanut butter/dark dry chocolate notes coming forth, I'm glad it has these flavors without stepping into the dessert beer/diabetes realm like some of the Southern Tier Choklat and Crème Brule overt sweetness. There's a natural roasted malt finish with lingering salty peanut notes between sips, man I dig this beer. The first time I had it was a couple months back at Caliente in Bloomfield. Nice to see they are getting distribution in PA at Giant Eagle Market District. Mouthfeel is slick with peanut butter oils and medium bodied with even flowing carbonation it just works, I drained my glass faster than I should but damn it's so good and I thankfully have 5 left!

3.84/5  rDev +1.1%

12 oz bottle.
Loads of peanuts in the nose. Plenty of peanuts in the flavor too but enough dark roasted grain to have a clear presence. Trace of char on the aftertaste.

Slight astringency in the medium-high body.

O: not quite as balanced and refined as the Terrapin Liquid Bliss I had soon after.

3.8/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Poured a dark brown, opaque color, with a two-finger light tan fluffy head that quickly dissipated to a thin film with some nice lacing
Smell: I thought I opened a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! Nice chocolate notes, with some earthy peanut aromas.
Taste: The taste didn't really come to the level of the aroma, the roasty malt flavors overpowered the light chocolate notes, and the peanut flavors seemed pretty subdued when compared to the smell.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel was thinner than I expected, but not dissapointing.
Overall: This beer was OK, I guess I was expecting more flavor after experiencing the smell. Good brew, but nothing out of this world.

4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

Smooth and delicious. Lingering aftertaste.

4.37/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a deep dark brown/black color with a 1 ½ to 2 fingers of creamy dark caramel colored head. Great example of what a porter should look like.

Aroma: It’s called a chocolate peanut butter porter, and boy, are they not kidding! The beer has strong aromas of roasted peanuts and chocolate and roasted malt and dark bread and the usual roasted coffee smell that most porters have. Smells absolutely fantastic.

Taste: Again, the name isn’t lying. This is very much peanut butter and chocolate! Roasted peanuts and slightly bitter chocolate are the first tastes I get, followed by strong roasted malt presence and dark bread, followed by a slight saltiness that goes well with the chocolate. What surprises me is that this isn’t a sweet beer, which you would think it would be, no, this is a nice savory beer. The beer certainly has that roasted malt/coffee flavor that porters should have, it just also has an extra dimension, depth really, that the peanut butter and chocolate provides. Great taste!

Mouthfeel: Not as carbonated as the head of the beer led me to believe, but that’s a good thing as I like my porters and stouts to have very little carbonation. However, the beer isn’t overly smooth either, there’s a chewiness present that I really like.

Overall: I really liked this beer. It’s very drinkable on its own, but with food, it’s even better! Deserts are the obvious paring, brownies, etc., and it makes an unbelievable ice cream beer float, but I really liked it with pretzels and other salty snacks.

3.82/5  rDev +0.5%

DATE TASTED: December 18, 2014... GLASSWARE: Guinness classic pint... OCCASION: a Blackish marathon... APPEARANCE: dark black body with creamy brown head that laces and traces well; head is steady throughout... AROMA: burnt toffee and what can only be described as scratch'n'sniff peanut butter; oats, chocolate and vanilla provide a balance of undertones... PALATE: rich, creamy and medium-bodied; slightly warming at 6.5% ABV; agreeable...TASTE: more peat than peanut; roasted malty goodness--a bit grainy and gritty, as a lunchbox brew should be... OVERALL: expectations were impossibly high here, and unfortunately, the beer could not meet them--but to be fair, its mild chocolate and peanut butter compliments the earthy mouthfeel, and a solid porter is worthy of being sought out...

3.36/5  rDev -11.6%

Appearance - Pours a deep, near black cola brown with a khaki colored half finger head. Sub-par retention results in a broken layer of suds across the surface. Little in the way of lacing; mostly small spots here and there.

Smell - Smell is simply fantastic. Smells like a Snickers or Nutrageous bar. Peanut Butter, Milk Chocolate and underlying caramel.

Taste - Does not follow the nose, unfortunately. Peanut / peanut butter character is predominant, but is met with a faint roastiness that binds in an odd, ill-fitting way. Seems to lack sweetness. Somewhat earthy. Finishes with a bit of dirt.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium in body with low carbonation. Kinda dead; not much going on here.

Overall - Disappointing after such a wonderful aroma. Seems to have been caught in the middle between being a dessert beer or being a legit porter, and came away with being a fair but forgettable brew in either category.

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Suprisingly delicious and tasty beer. You actually taste the chocolate and peanut butter.

Delicious.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Smells like peanut butter!! oh, and chocolate. very tempting.
Appearance- Pours a reddish brown with a small beige head.
Taste- Tastes ;like beer with peanut butter and chocolate. Pretty good.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Has a thick texture.
Overall- A pretty good stout.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Enjoyable in small quantities. I don't think I could drink more than one bottle in a sitting.

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12-oz bottle poured to tulip. Consumed 10-15-2013. Acquired in trade with reidjoshua.

dark, coffee brown appearance. medium carbonation with 1-finger tan head fading to a minimal collar. very little lacing

there is roasted malt at first, but the peanut flour and milk chocolate appear quickly. there is a faint red grape fruitiness as well.

the taste does not match the pb cup aroma, unfortunately. it is roasted malt bitterness primarily, more astringency than typical for the style. actually more fruit than expected.

moderate carbonation, less creamy than hoped-for

3.3/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Pours a deep brown. No head. Just a thin collar. Pretty transparent.

Smell - Lots of nuttiness, not what I'd call distinctly peanut-y though. Some vanilla. Kind of an artificial aroma. Like a hazelnut coffee additive, but more generally nutty.

Taste - Chocolate up front. More of that artificial tasting nut flavor. Some roast here and even a moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Thin body. More body and thereby more beer flavor would mask a lot of the strangeness of the nut flavor. Medium carbonation.

Overall - If I can get past the artificial nature of the flavors, it's pretty good. Certainly nothing offensive going on, just not the best.

4.27/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

So knowing what I know about DuClaw I go into this knowing its a gimmicky type of beer. Pour dark brown to black with an unremarkable head. Nothing too impressive about the look.

The smell on the other hand is great if you go into it looking for a dessert beer. Smells like a liquified Reese's peanut butter cup.

The taste is exactly the smell. Heavy chocolate malts with a peanut butter aftertaste. Again for a dessert beer, it is great.

Overall, many brewery's label there beer this and that like donut or pretzel but it early tastes like it says it should. Here's a case where it tastes exactly what the label says. So if you buy a chocolate peanutbutter porter and complain that it tastes sweet and chocolately and peanutbutter then it's your own dumb fault. It might be a little thin for a beer but it's a very nice dessert beer from time to time.

to view more.