1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

Sweet Baby JesusSweet Baby Jesus

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-23-2012)
Reviews by tectactoe:
3.79/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to the few people who have thrown this in as an extra in trades... I haven't had many "peanut butter" beers, but I always love trying new and off-the-wall things, so I was very happy to have a few bottles of this stuff. It pours a dark brown that appears nearly black once it's sitting in the glass. The tan head fades quick but leaves a few small patches of spotty lacing in its path. Translucent only at the beer's extremities.

Mushy, dense, and creamy peanut butter clouds the aroma, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The helping hands of the deeply roasted chocolate malts meshes with the peanut butter to remind us of the combination that has become so popular today. A slight bit of char and roast on the tail end keeps that "stout-y" smell alive, while still being decadently sweet from the soft peanut butter addition.

The first sip tells me that the peanut butter is a bit heavier on the aroma that it will be on the palate, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The taste has a bit more cocoa to it; kind of sweet, soft, and creamy with a bit of roast on the back end. Peanut butter is still an important piece to this puzzle, however - even peanut butter in small amounts can be a powerful statement.

At times, Sweet Baby Jesus can be a bit astringent, with a darting, slightly acidic bitterness that most likely manifests from the roast. It's got that "burning cola" feel. Nothing to be too alarmed about, although it does take the drinkability down just a notch. The finish contains a touch of nutty peanut butter and a light dusting of sweet cocoa. The body on this is a bit thinner than I would have liked, especially for the flavors involved; sharp carbonation, kind of brash and dry in the finish.

I'm trying to think of any other peanut butter porters/stouts that I've had and the only other one that immediately jumps into my head is Odd Side's Peanut Butter Cup Stout. I like that one a little better; the feel the peanut butter is integrated a bit more successfully, giving off a more authentic "peanut butter cup" feel, not to mention the astringency is a non-issue. Either way, this is still a nice peanut butter beer and I'd definitely get it again if it were available to me.

1.35/5  rDev -64.3%

This beer is another example of how people's taste buds must vary wildly, perhaps based on individual DNA. For me, the smell and the taste both made me slightly nauseated. While there WAS an odor of peanut butter and chocolate, I found it cloying. Right from that point, it was a bit of a struggle to take the first sip. With that first sip, and the few I took thereafter, my mouth involuntarily grimaced and my body actually briefly shivered.

I can only blame myself. I bought this bottle - just the one thankfully - because the name cracked me up. A friend who had tried it previously warned me - but I figured what the heck?

As I write this, the beer is sitting next to the keyboard looking all ominous. Of the 12 ounces, I think I have sipped through maybe 3. I can continue torturing myself by forcing myself to finish this to avoid the waste of the purchase price. Or I can pour it and just accept the loss. I just closed my eyes and inhaled from the glass once again, trying to be less biased. It smelled more of chocolate milk with a bit of peanut butter. But then opening my eyes and seeing this black ale again is making me feel vaguely sick.

Obviously, a fair number of reviewers LIKE this. So, like most beers, it has hit the mark for some folks. But I cannot finish it. I just can't. The only other beer I have had to pour in recent memory was some horrible chile beer from Mexico. Honestly, I find this beer to be at least as bad as that was, and I never thought I would ever react so negatively to another beer after I tried that one.

Kudos to the brewer, though, DuClaw makes some very fine brews! Normally, I really like "out of the box" experiments with beer styles and flavors. This one just didn't work for me.

And now, I must regretfully take this glass over to the kitchen sink....

4.18/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a deep-deep brown color with a one finger of tan colored head. The head has a good level of retention, slowly fading to leave a moderate level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is quite heavy of a roasted malt smell mixed with a whole lot of a milk chocolate aroma. Other sweeter smells of caramel and a rather potent showing of a roasted peanut butter smell also are in the aroma. A bit of coffee is there as well, producing an overall aroma of a somewhat drier peanut butter cup nature.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweet milk chocolate taste with a moderate roasted malt and light coffee flavor. While little peanut butter taste is present upfront, it begins coming in soon after the initial flavors hit the tongue. All while this occurs, the sweeter flavors seem to get even sweeter with more milk chocolate and caramel coming to the tongue and with some of the coffee flavors dwindling. A little bit of a roasted bitter flavor joins the flavor at the very end of the taste leaving a nice and sweet chocolaty and moderately peanut buttery flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – For a porter of 6.5 % abv. this one is a little on the thinner side with a carbonation level that is a bit on the higher side. For the sweeter milk chocolate and peanut butter flavors, a bit of a thicker body may have created a slightly better and more dessert like feel, but even said the higher carbonation was actually quite nice for the sweet flavors and made for a more easy drinkability in the beer. So with that the feel was fairly nice overall.

Overall – A nice sweet chocolate peanut butter cup brew with a good drinkability and abv. If the body was only a little bit thicker this would be spot on for a dessert brew. Even so this is really a quite nice brew overall.

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: A medium to dark brown color with a one finger light brown head. Slight glass lacing.

S: Wow, peanut butter? For sure! I got lots of peanut butter and chocolate on the nose, some roasted notes and slight sweetness. Great smelling brew!

T: Well, I'm a little let down here based on the outstanding smell. The peanut butter flavor is really way more just plain nutty rather than peanut butter. Loads of hazelnut mix with dark chocolate flavors and some roasted flavor. Some toffee sweetness mixes with the nuttiness and chocolate as the finish turns slightly bitter with hops. Roasted flavor seems to linger in my mouth.

M: Medium, a little thin actually. Good carbonation, no alcohol.

O: I really wish the beer could have followed through with the peanut butter flavor as much as it had it on the nose, but alas it didn't. Still it was a very solid porter that was enjoyable.

Solid beer that I will buy again to have when I want something different, but not a beer I would drink regularly.

3.12/5  rDev -17.5%

4.04/5  rDev +6.9%

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

4.92/5  rDev +30.2%

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

3.7/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark but not pitch black, just as a porter should be

S: Very interesting, it smells of peanut butter but its got a metallic smell as well which is why I cannot rate it higher

T: Actually tastes like peanut butter without making me want to throw up. Very well done for this style

M: Solid

O: I am rating this beer for what it is, it isn't something you would drink 4 of in one night but it is good when drinking one here or there. Usually gimmicky/novelty beers like this gross me out but this one was not bad, I am a sucker for peanut butter!

3.71/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Poured a very small, cream colored head that dissipated quickly. Very dark in color but held to light appears red.

S: Strong peanut butter smell with some chocolate notes underneath. The mixture of the two remind me of coffee.

T: An excellent balance of chocolate and peanut butter flavors, but no other dominant flavors.

M: Not as thick and creamy as you might expect a chocolate stout. The carbonation is just right despite the low head.

O: While the combination of chocolate and peanut butter is not universally unique, it is unique for beer. I think the balance in the two flavors is excellent, but this unique beer is not one I will drink often.

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

If you like or love Reese's peanut butter cups this is your beer. Chocolate and peanut butter in a very nice porter. I will definitely be purchasing more and recommending to friends. This is a delightful after dinner drink, that satisfies the sweet tooth and beer craving after a nice meal. Very smooth taste, and finish. Pick some up if you can find it!

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

4.5/5  rDev +19%

An excellent combination of roasty malts with peanut butter. The peanut butter is pronounced and adds to the flavor of the beer. One of the better beers I have had in some time.

Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw Brewing Company