Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-23-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweet Baby Jesus Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,930 | Reviews: 329

Delicious.

A - Poured into a tulip glass with some fervor. Tan colored head with pitch black body. Head is fluffy and bubbly, and fades after a few minutes, but never disappears entirely. Thick lacing all around glass.

S - The smell is INCREDIBLE. It smells like a peanut butter cup! I can literally taste the peanuts, so intense. Some hints of milk chocolate and a few hints of salt, but the peanut butter is the big player here.

T - Tastes just like it smells. Huge showing from the peanut butter. Saltiness like salted, roasted peanuts. Flavors of milk chocolate, toffee, some caramel, a hint of hazelnut, some twangs of saltine cracker and maybe even some chocolate fudge heaviness. The peanut butter is heaviest on the way down, like having a mouthful of fresh roasted peanuts, absolutely delicious!

M - Very thick, even a little sticky. Very good, coats the walls of my mouth with chocolate peanut butter goodness and hangs on for dear life.

O - A unique and novel beer. But a unique and novel beer done extremely well. The flavors are intense and natural, the color and look are perfect, and most importantly, it truly lives up to its name. I couldn't resist shouting out its namesake after my first sip. It truly is a wonderful porter, and a must have for any fans of chocolate, peanut butter, and dark beers.

Amazing beer, Duclaw killed it!!

Had a bottle of this delicious-ness fresh and frosty out of a very, very cold fridge while it wore a nice, tall coozy to keep it ice cold. Tastes like melted chocolate ice cream with a peanut butter dip on the outsides edges of your tongue. Brought me back to my childhood at the Soft Serve Ice Cream stand with my first sip in an instant. AWESOME!!! Thanks DuClaw!!!

Amazing porter, definately recommend to anyone

Liquid peanut butter cup heaven, excellent dessert beer

A-very dark brown with amber to red tones (like cola)

S- Peanut shells dominate with some subtle hint of portery sweetness.

T- Peanut first then chocolate mocha followed by some smokey porter sweetness.

M- Nice creamy carb. Not to thick, not to thin, just right.

O- Really surprised that this didn't get a higher rating. World class in my opinion. I find no real flaws. Thanks Dad for this awesome desert find.

4.96/5  rDev +30.5%

I first tried this beer at the Virginia Beach Craft Beer festival. As I walked up to the booth, I was thinking to myself "peanut-butter beer? How good can it really be?" Well as soon as I got my first sip of heaven I knew it could be that good.

There should be a rating of "dangerous" because this is a beer that I can either enjoy and casually sip on, or I could drink all day and all night and not even realize it. It's a bit of a heavy beer, with just a very slight taste of chocolate. To explain exactly how it tasted, it was like a stout, Nutella, and a bunch of Reese's pieces had an orgy and this cup of deliciousness was the orgasmic outcome.

The smell was of Reese's and Guinness, and it was just as smooth as the two of them, although it could have been a bit creamier than watery. I know I'm comparing a porter to stout but I'm still not sure what the damn difference is.

Regardless, this beer is absolutely a 5/5. The only thing bad is the aftertaste, but it's of peanuts. All in all it's still a win-win. At 6.5% ABV this is truly alcoholism in a bottle.

4.95/5  rDev +30.3%

any beer known as sweet baby jesus must be purchased.
the fact that it tastes like liquid reese's is also a big bonus.

4.91/5  rDev +29.2%

Sweet and full of flavor.

4.88/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A couple of (alleged) 16 Oz pints at the Brew restaurant at Bellgrade.
If I could only drink one kind of beer it would be a porter.. Having said that I like my porters plain and simple: session beers - that's what porters used to be.
This stuff is different though.... the tasting notes on the clipboard gave a few hints: Reeses pieces, peanut butter... is this a beer or a candy bar ? Thing is, I hate peanut butter - can't stand the stuff. But, this is allegedly a porter, so....
Well, the first pint glass came with 3/4 " of head over what looked like a porter.
The tasting notes were close. There is an major note of bitter chocolate followed by a hint of roasted peanut kind of like a chocolate satay (?!) and it does feel like I'm drinking a porter despite the other stuff. The first one disappeared in short order to be followed by a second (just for confirmation, you understand)
If I hadn't been driving there would've been more. two pints of 6.5% is my limit.
But I will be back for more.....

4.88/5  rDev +28.4%

One of the best beers I've had.

4.86/5  rDev +27.9%

Exceptional porter. Can really taste the chocolate and peanut butter.

4.84/5  rDev +27.4%

Tastes exactly like chocolate and peanut butter. Would love to get this in the Midwest.

4.84/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Sweet baby yes yes yes. Very subtle peanut butter presence for a rockin porter.

4.83/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

zDjfksg;ao alefsdng;ol lam,dzngf'hbzad /zlekbnh

4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

Smooth and delicious. Lingering aftertaste.

4.76/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Has a very smooth beginning and finish. It has a very good amount of chocolate but not enough to overwhelm the other flavours.

4.76/5  rDev +25.3%

One of the 3 best beers I've ever had. I'm a chocolate stout fan first and foremost. When I smelled the PB i was a little nervous, but it turned out awesome. If you're up for something different it's great.

4.76/5  rDev +25.3%

Strong rich taste for a porter. Deep roasted taste is very.
It has a hint of peanut butter flavor. To be honest I would still like it with out the hint of peanut butter. But it does not in anyway downgrade the beer.
Looks the part and is very strong in appearance.
Had it once and will continue to look for it whenever I can find it.

Definitely moved up my list of favorite Porters.

4.75/5  rDev +25%

Had this on tap in Va. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is there's so much peanut butter, I can't drink it all day long. Otherwise, excellent beer.

4.75/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is very cliquey, for lack of a better term. From what I have experience, few people think it's 'ok'; most of whom that (I know) have tried it either loved it or hated it. Personally, I love the chocolate aroma and taste. It is not very harsh whatsoever. In fact, the beer is somewhat a relief to my tongue as it has an abnormal sensitivity to carbonated drinks. Moreover, the flavour is strong. Though I will say I am biased; this is one of my favourite beers.

4.75/5  rDev +25%

So tasty. Like biting into a candy bar.

4.74/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If you have a piece of dark chocolate cake and this porter you might want to be left alone.

4.72/5  rDev +24.2%

This is a really great porter for anyone who LOVES chocolate and peanut butter. The sweet, smooth chocolate flavor is to die for, then the rich distinct flavor of peanut butter kicks in on the aftertaste and finishes the chocolate off nicely. I only rate it below perfect because I personally, do not like the taste of peanut butter and chocolate. Delusional, I know..

Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw Brewing Company