2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

Sweet Baby JesusSweet Baby Jesus

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-23-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 916 | Reviews: 151 | Show All Ratings:
Justin23060

A-very dark brown with amber to red tones (like cola)

S- Peanut shells dominate with some subtle hint of portery sweetness.

T- Peanut first then chocolate mocha followed by some smokey porter sweetness.

M- Nice creamy carb. Not to thick, not to thin, just right.

O- Really surprised that this didn't get a higher rating. World class in my opinion. I find no real flaws. Thanks Dad for this awesome desert find.

02-01-2014 04:25:19 | More by Justin23060
jennalee

Had a bottle of this delicious-ness fresh and frosty out of a very, very cold fridge while it wore a nice, tall coozy to keep it ice cold. Tastes like melted chocolate ice cream with a peanut butter dip on the outsides edges of your tongue. Brought me back to my childhood at the Soft Serve Ice Cream stand with my first sip in an instant. AWESOME!!! Thanks DuClaw!!!

02-03-2014 02:09:13 | More by jennalee
undeadozzy

A - Poured into a tulip glass with some fervor. Tan colored head with pitch black body. Head is fluffy and bubbly, and fades after a few minutes, but never disappears entirely. Thick lacing all around glass.

S - The smell is INCREDIBLE. It smells like a peanut butter cup! I can literally taste the peanuts, so intense. Some hints of milk chocolate and a few hints of salt, but the peanut butter is the big player here.

T - Tastes just like it smells. Huge showing from the peanut butter. Saltiness like salted, roasted peanuts. Flavors of milk chocolate, toffee, some caramel, a hint of hazelnut, some twangs of saltine cracker and maybe even some chocolate fudge heaviness. The peanut butter is heaviest on the way down, like having a mouthful of fresh roasted peanuts, absolutely delicious!

M - Very thick, even a little sticky. Very good, coats the walls of my mouth with chocolate peanut butter goodness and hangs on for dear life.

O - A unique and novel beer. But a unique and novel beer done extremely well. The flavors are intense and natural, the color and look are perfect, and most importantly, it truly lives up to its name. I couldn't resist shouting out its namesake after my first sip. It truly is a wonderful porter, and a must have for any fans of chocolate, peanut butter, and dark beers.

02-13-2014 00:53:07 | More by undeadozzy
jp610

4.8/5  rDev +27.3%

Strong rich taste for a porter. Deep roasted taste is very.
It has a hint of peanut butter flavor. To be honest I would still like it with out the hint of peanut butter. But it does not in anyway downgrade the beer.
Looks the part and is very strong in appearance.
Had it once and will continue to look for it whenever I can find it.

Definitely moved up my list of favorite Porters.

02-03-2014 00:59:21 | More by jp610
greyghost86

Delaware

4.7/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Loved the advertising for this beer and it was everything as advertised by DuClaw Brewery!!!! You knew what you were getting when you ordered it, a chocolate peanut butter porter.

Appearance: A dark, nearly black pour with a off white but not quite brown head that lasted a few minutes before disipating.

Smell: You get what you expect. A lot of chocolate with a peanut butter...someone else described it as smelling like peanut butter fudge and I totally agree. The aroma alone would sell me on this!!!

Taste: Right off the bat the chocolate come through, a roasted cocoa followed quickly by a dark chocolate taste as the peanut butter come in and lingers until the last bitterness fades. I totally loved it and I like big hop beers.

Mouthfeel: I expected it to be really thick but was pleasantly surprised it was full body and not syrupy. Very well done porter.

Overall: I totally looked forward to this when it was first advertised and it didn't disappoint in my opinion. It's not one that I would drink all night, but for a starter or a after dinner beer it hits the spot. I make a special trip down from Delaware every few months to try DuClaws brews (hopefully they start shipping to upstate Delaware soon) and they might miss on one or two, but this one was just as advertised and a home run in my opinion!!!

02-09-2013 13:51:15 | More by greyghost86
ZorroZ

4.56/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I asked the bartender @ McMenamin's Tavern in Mount Airy (Philadelphia) which was his favourite beer on tap, and he recommended this one. Just 2 words: OH, WOW. A chocolate-peanut butter stout. Basically, this felt like I was drinking an alcoholic, fizzy peanut butter cup.

Appearance: Lovely, just lovely- deep, dark black.

Smell: To be honest, the smell didn't really hint too much as to what was coming.

Taste: Here's where I said OH, WOW. You get a bit of maltiness with just a hint of hops, but the dominant taste is of the chocolate and, yes, peanut butter. I would never have dreamed that this would work, but, WOW, does it ever.

Mouthfeel: Amazingly, this beer didn't have anywhere near the heavy mouthfeel that I'd expected, given the taste.

I'm not sure I'd want to drink too many of these at a time- despite the reasonable ABV, it's definitely a dessert beer, not a session one. But, I'll DEFINITELY be ordering another one next time I see it on tap.

03-03-2014 00:51:00 | More by ZorroZ
cyclonece09

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured on tap into a pint glass. Pours pitch black with a tiny off white head. Smells of chocolate and coffee just beautiful. Tastes of Reese's peanut butter cup, coffee, and nice dark malt. Beer light/medium bodied goes down nice light carbonation. Overall a very good beer.

11-19-2013 23:58:26 | More by cyclonece09
THFCBeerBQ

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought a 6-pack of 12oz bottles at my local Wegman’s supermarket. No drink/fresh by date on bottle.

Poured semi-vigorously into a pint glass

A- Black in color with some deep red hues when directly held up to the light. Foam produces about a inch-and-a-half khaki colored head. Adequate head retention and lacing on the glass.

S- Smells like a Reese’s cup! The nose is dominated by roasted peanuts, smooth peanut butter and chocolate. Slight cocoa and lactose smells in the background.

T- The taste is simple and straightforward but it delivers exactly what it advertises, a chocolate, peanut butter porter. The taste isn’t as strong as the smell would let on but I think this is what makes this brew so good. Roasted grain and cocoa hit the palette first. The swallow releases notes of salted peanuts and finishes with a dry chocolate taste

M- slightly less than medium in body. Creamy but light mouthfeel (kind of like a fluffiness)

O- This is a unique brew that has been executed pretty damn well. The smell is spot on and the flavors and mouthfeel make this a surprisingly refreshing and drinkable beer. Definitely belongs as a winter night’s brew or after dinner alongside a large slice of chocolate cake. My only improvements would be for a slightly more complex taste and better lacing.

92/100

12-10-2013 23:27:42 | More by THFCBeerBQ
Hendry

Vermont

4.49/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sweet Baby Jesus was an extra in my last trade, and I had relatively low expectations, but was intrigued by the novelty of a chocolate peanut butter porter.

Pours an opaque brown that when held up to the light has a deep auburn glow.Little in the way of head or lacing.

Aroma is that of beer candy: the chocolate & peanut butter are prominent and well blended with the malt. The nose is inviting in every way, it smells delicious.

Taste nails the concept of infusing a Reese's peanut butter cup with a well crafted porter quite well. The sweetness stops just shy of cloying, and the alcohol is completely undetectable.

Mouthfeel is somewhat thin, but this is a porter, and I do not agree with previous reviewers that insist a thicker, heavier consistency would carry the flavors better. Sweet Baby Jesus is smooth as silk and quite quaffable (this 12 oz. bottle disappeared quickly).

This is an eye opening beer, the aroma and flavor are delectable, and novelty or not, this just works. Thumbs up on this effort from DuClaw: I'm quite impressed and very pleasantly surprised.

11-02-2013 04:06:36 | More by Hendry
DrStiffington

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Recommended to me, so I bought one as part of a mix 6. Pours black as night, but where it really gets interesting is the smell. Massive peanut butter smell. Love it. But hen the taste is mostly chocolate, and the peanut butter takes a back seat. Delicious dessert porter. Still, one at a time is enough. Reese's peanut butter cup as a beer.

01-11-2014 22:56:45 | More by DrStiffington
Jeffreysan

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a deep dark brown/black color with a 1 ½ to 2 fingers of creamy dark caramel colored head. Great example of what a porter should look like.

Aroma: It’s called a chocolate peanut butter porter, and boy, are they not kidding! The beer has strong aromas of roasted peanuts and chocolate and roasted malt and dark bread and the usual roasted coffee smell that most porters have. Smells absolutely fantastic.

Taste: Again, the name isn’t lying. This is very much peanut butter and chocolate! Roasted peanuts and slightly bitter chocolate are the first tastes I get, followed by strong roasted malt presence and dark bread, followed by a slight saltiness that goes well with the chocolate. What surprises me is that this isn’t a sweet beer, which you would think it would be, no, this is a nice savory beer. The beer certainly has that roasted malt/coffee flavor that porters should have, it just also has an extra dimension, depth really, that the peanut butter and chocolate provides. Great taste!

Mouthfeel: Not as carbonated as the head of the beer led me to believe, but that’s a good thing as I like my porters and stouts to have very little carbonation. However, the beer isn’t overly smooth either, there’s a chewiness present that I really like.

Overall: I really liked this beer. It’s very drinkable on its own, but with food, it’s even better! Deserts are the obvious paring, brownies, etc., and it makes an unbelievable ice cream beer float, but I really liked it with pretzels and other salty snacks.

06-12-2013 22:58:08 | More by Jeffreysan
biggiet

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A-It pours a dark opaque color with light tan head that disaopears quickly.

S-It smells like the scratch and sniff sticker (if they don't have one they should get one) for the DuClaw beer company! Like a deep smell of chocolate candybars with a hint of nuts. Tasty!

T-Very chocolaty med-heavy feeling lingers to the nuttiness flavor. What complex mixture that blends so well.

O-What a great treat for an "every once in a while" beer. Very filling and just enough ABV to enjoy a growler with your wife. A recommended treat trust me!

Serving type: growler

10-22-2013 00:26:44 | More by biggiet
WVbeergeek

4.31/5  rDev +14.3%

Exponentially better on tap, but the bottles have some serious peanut aromatics and flavors going on. This was bottled on 1/29/14, guess what it looks ruby cola deep brown, with a nice tan mocha head forming nicely. Fine speckled bands of lacing, great looking beer sitting in my glass. Aromatics are peanut butter to the core, think peanut skins and Jiff. Wonderful smell A+ there's not a better smelling beer around with this much similarity to a Reese's peanut butter cup!!! Flavor is dry finished with the peanut butter/dark dry chocolate notes coming forth, I'm glad it has these flavors without stepping into the dessert beer/diabetes realm like some of the Southern Tier Choklat and Crème Brule overt sweetness. There's a natural roasted malt finish with lingering salty peanut notes between sips, man I dig this beer. The first time I had it was a couple months back at Caliente in Bloomfield. Nice to see they are getting distribution in PA at Giant Eagle Market District. Mouthfeel is slick with peanut butter oils and medium bodied with even flowing carbonation it just works, I drained my glass faster than I should but damn it's so good and I thankfully have 5 left!

11-20-2013 19:06:01 | More by WVbeergeek
JD_Lombardi

4.31/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

For those of us who have always dreamed of drinking a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, the 13 proof adult version is here!

Seriously though, this is a fantastic dessert-style porter that isn't too sweet, yet tastes totally and completely as advertised.

If I'm nit-picking, I'd like it a little less carbonated. That 6-pack I have show be NO problem to finish off.

01-11-2014 04:31:35 | More by JD_Lombardi
blameo

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Got this beer in a bottle after several people have recommended it to me.

Appearance - 4.5 - Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thick creamy head lands exactly at the top of the glass and takes a while to dissipate. The beer is almost black

Smell - 4.25 - Smells like peanut butter with some chocolate. If I was blindfolded I would have guessed that I was smelling a Resese's cup, not a beer.

Taste - 4.5 - Somewhat bitter. The chocolate taste is not overwhelming. Some roasted malt character, with a little bit of hop character - just enough to help the malts, chocolate, and peanut butter balance with each other. Not very bitter. The peanut is all in the aftertaste and lingers a while. It blends well, still having a small amount of chocolate to it.

Mouthfeel - 3.5 - Medium bodied mouthfeel. Much of the taste comes after it's swallowed.

Overall- 4.25 - This is a great beer. I would definitely drink it again. I don't usually like chocolate in my beers, but when it's mixed with peanut butter and not too much, like Sweet Baby Jesus, it's pretty good. This is my second favorite peanut butter beer so far, next to Spring House Big Gruesome. I would love to try this on tap.

11-21-2013 19:40:44 | More by blameo
FickleBeast

4.29/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours near pitch black with a finger of mocha foam. Aroma is overwhelmingly peanut butter... it smell just like a Reese's Peanut Butter cup.

First sip is a rush of peanut flavor, with a dry, slightly bitter finish. Bitterness lingers on the tongue. I wish there was more than that, but this tastes like roasted peanuts. The burnt roasty finish complements it well.

This is an interesting change of pace beer. At first I was skeptical, but this really pulls off the peanut butter flavor well, and somehow makes it seem like it has always belonged.

03-02-2014 03:41:11 | More by FickleBeast
hops202

District of Columbia

4.26/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into Stone Snifter

Looks like a solid porter upon initial pour. Smell is something similar to boutique chocolate and candy shops. Smells incredible - especially if you have a sweet tooth. Sweet milk/cream, peanut butter, chocolate, almonds, Reese's peanut butter cup to be exact. Taste carries over much of the peanut butter chocolate and sweetened milk/cream. Not as great as the nose, but certainly still delicious.

03-14-2014 02:14:31 | More by hops202
MadCat

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a nice black color with a brownish head, leaves some lacing

Smell: Nice peanut butter up front, like peanut butter cereal, then chocolate

Taste: Again, peanut butter cereal and chocolate, roasted malts, earthy hops. Not too sweet either

Mouthfeel: A good light to medium body, good carbonation

Overall: Fantastic brew... will gladly pick up more of this. It is a bit different of flavoring, but something I could drink every day.

01-27-2014 01:23:55 | More by MadCat
TappaKeggaBrew

4.24/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark, red-brown mahogany hue, and clear. The head is medium-brown, but thin; it dissipates quickly, leaving hardly any lacing.

S: Dark roasted malt comes first, then... Peanut butter - and lots of it! There's faint milk chocolate as well, but peanut butter dominates. The aroma of Reece's Pieces comes to mind.

T: The malt is moderately sweet, with a little acrid flavor typical of darker beers. I definitely get the peanut butter flavor, but it's much subdued compared to the aroma (which is a good thing - this is supposed to be a beer, after all); there's also some bitter cocoa and even coffee notes as well. Hops are there to give the finish a mildly bitter flavor, which fades to bitter chocolate and burnt grain in the end.

M: A little thin and moist, but nicely carbonated. Very easy to drink.

O: OK, I admit I got this one for the unusual name and the fact that it contains peanut butter. It smells better than it tastes, but it still tastes good. I like that it's nicely balanced, not too much of any flavor, and still a beer first. Too unusual to be a session beer, but tasty and easy to drink nonetheless.

03-19-2014 01:07:52 | More by TappaKeggaBrew
ChrisL24481

New Hampshire

4.21/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a dark brown color with a thin tan head that quickly dissipated into a thin ring of bubbles. Big chocolate and peanut butter/nutty flavors throughout both the aroma and taste. This beer reminded me of a peanut butter snack food that I used to eat as I kid, but I just couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was. It was a medium body with some carbonation. Some stickiness lingered on the lips afterwards. Overall, a tasty treat and it was a great surprise as an extra in a trade!

03-10-2014 16:37:13 | More by ChrisL24481
Knapp85

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to MillerBuffoon for letting me try one of these. This poured out as a very deep brown color with a brown head on top. The retention is thin, the lacing is scattered. The smell of this beer is loaded with roasted peanuts and dark malts. The taste of the beer is chocolatey with a really good peanut flavor in there too. The mouthfeel of the beer is smooth, kind of light bodied and smooth. Overall this beer was pretty good. It's more of a dessert beer but it's not overwhelmingly sweet. It's interesting though. I like it.

01-26-2013 02:10:11 | More by Knapp85
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.19/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic.
6.5% ABV,

A - Sweet Baby Jesus pours without a sound, filling the nonic with a beer as black as 95% dark chocolate and a sturdy light khaki head that leaves dots of lace on the glass.

S - Without even pouring the beer, Sweet Baby Jesus' robust chocolate-covered peanut aroma bursts out of the manger. Smooth milk chocolate and dusty cocoa share the dark spotlight with cocktail peanuts following up nicely, all overtaking it's "beeriness".

T - More beer-like than the aroma lets on, Sweet Baby Jesus has a cocoa-heavy, dry malty base balanced by earthy English hops which cuts through the milk chocolate presence the nose offers while maintaining some peanut flavor, though artificial like the label states.

M - Exuberant carbonation dances on the tongue while Sweet Baby Jesus washes over with loads of dry, dusty cocoa presence and a subtly sweet, medium-bodied finish.

O - Sweet Baby Jesus is unique, do doubt about that, but this flavored porter's taste and finish, while good, show obvious signs it's brewed with artificial flavor. Like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, chocolate-covered peanut filling is abounding and, during most of the beer's consumption, keeps it from really being like a "beer". In the end, it's a nicely crafted brew that's one hell of an experience.

12-11-2013 00:12:55 | More by BeerFMAndy
stephenjmoore

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Dark brown body with some amber highlights around the bottom. Big frothy mocha colored head.

S- Smells really close to a Reese's cup. Chocolate, peanut butter and some faint roasted malt.

T- Roasted malt, chocolate malt, peanut butter. A toasted malt note as well.

M- Medium bodied, medium-high carbonation. Very drinkable.

O- I like it. Different and would try again.

12-23-2012 18:18:36 | More by stephenjmoore
themind

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The aroma of this beer is awesome! chocolate, roasted malts, peanut butter just a very appealing aroma. Pours pitch black into a nice DF goblet. The taste was very good but did not live up to the aroma and the mouthfeel was a little thin. With a little work this brew could be Legendary. If the aroma and taste matched with a little more thickness this beer would be stellar. In the end it is still very good.

Bottom Line: Excellent beer!

09-23-2013 23:01:51 | More by themind
BB1313

4.14/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 11/1/13. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours black with just a little light getting through; small khaki head that fades quickly and leaves nice retention and decent lacing. The aromas are wonderful. Lots of hazelnut. Lots of chocolate. Lots of peanut butter. Lots of expresso. Some cocoa malts. Tastes really good. Lots of vanilla and coffee. The chocolate and peanut butter are noticeable. Once again, lots of hazelnut. Slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with smooth active carbonation. Alcohol goes unnoticed. This makes a great dessert beer.

If Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar was a porter, you'd get DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus. This is a very unique take on the style. Well done. Recommended.

01-06-2014 00:07:25 | More by BB1313