Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-23-2012

Liquid peanut butter cup heaven, excellent dessert beer

A-very dark brown with amber to red tones (like cola)

S- Peanut shells dominate with some subtle hint of portery sweetness.

T- Peanut first then chocolate mocha followed by some smokey porter sweetness.

M- Nice creamy carb. Not to thick, not to thin, just right.

O- Really surprised that this didn't get a higher rating. World class in my opinion. I find no real flaws. Thanks Dad for this awesome desert find.

4.96/5  rDev +30.9%

I first tried this beer at the Virginia Beach Craft Beer festival. As I walked up to the booth, I was thinking to myself "peanut-butter beer? How good can it really be?" Well as soon as I got my first sip of heaven I knew it could be that good.

There should be a rating of "dangerous" because this is a beer that I can either enjoy and casually sip on, or I could drink all day and all night and not even realize it. It's a bit of a heavy beer, with just a very slight taste of chocolate. To explain exactly how it tasted, it was like a stout, Nutella, and a bunch of Reese's pieces had an orgy and this cup of deliciousness was the orgasmic outcome.

The smell was of Reese's and Guinness, and it was just as smooth as the two of them, although it could have been a bit creamier than watery. I know I'm comparing a porter to stout but I'm still not sure what the damn difference is.

Regardless, this beer is absolutely a 5/5. The only thing bad is the aftertaste, but it's of peanuts. All in all it's still a win-win. At 6.5% ABV this is truly alcoholism in a bottle.

4.92/5  rDev +29.8%

4.92/5  rDev +29.8%

4.88/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A couple of (alleged) 16 Oz pints at the Brew restaurant at Bellgrade.
If I could only drink one kind of beer it would be a porter.. Having said that I like my porters plain and simple: session beers - that's what porters used to be.
This stuff is different though.... the tasting notes on the clipboard gave a few hints: Reeses pieces, peanut butter... is this a beer or a candy bar ? Thing is, I hate peanut butter - can't stand the stuff. But, this is allegedly a porter, so....
Well, the first pint glass came with 3/4 " of head over what looked like a porter.
The tasting notes were close. There is an major note of bitter chocolate followed by a hint of roasted peanut kind of like a chocolate satay (?!) and it does feel like I'm drinking a porter despite the other stuff. The first one disappeared in short order to be followed by a second (just for confirmation, you understand)
If I hadn't been driving there would've been more. two pints of 6.5% is my limit.
But I will be back for more.....

4.84/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Sweet baby yes yes yes. Very subtle peanut butter presence for a rockin porter.

4.84/5  rDev +27.7%

4.8/5  rDev +26.6%

4.76/5  rDev +25.6%

One of the 3 best beers I've ever had. I'm a chocolate stout fan first and foremost. When I smelled the PB i was a little nervous, but it turned out awesome. If you're up for something different it's great.

4.76/5  rDev +25.6%

Strong rich taste for a porter. Deep roasted taste is very.
It has a hint of peanut butter flavor. To be honest I would still like it with out the hint of peanut butter. But it does not in anyway downgrade the beer.
Looks the part and is very strong in appearance.
Had it once and will continue to look for it whenever I can find it.

Definitely moved up my list of favorite Porters.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

Had this on tap in Va. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is there's so much peanut butter, I can't drink it all day long. Otherwise, excellent beer.

Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw Brewing Company