Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-23-2012

First brewed in 2011, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is jet black in color with a tan, rocky head, full body and creamy, luxurious mouthfeel. Its lightly sweet, malty flavor is accented by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee and peanut butter, and balanced by a subtle hop character and moderate 6.5% abv. Sweet Baby Jesus finishes smooth, dry, and roasty with lingering notes of chocolate and peanut butter so savory, you will exclaim its name!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweet Baby Jesus Alström Bros
Reviews: 319 | Hads: 2,132
4.45/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Really nice peanut butter aroma and taste. More than my favorite from willoughby. Not as much chocolate, though. Really great dessert beer. Could not multiple in a row but will definitely be drinking again.

4.44/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Not the first time I've had this. This is one of the beers that got my excited about craft beer.

Look: Black, but with very dark tint of red when held to the light. Very light tan colored head. Starts to slowly dissipate.

Smell: Man oh man, the smell might be the best part. Like snuffing your nose into a jar of Jif. The chocolate is there, but the peanut butter is dominate. Almost salty, like a sweet and salty granola bar!

Taste: Identical, in every way, to the smell.

Feel: Very creamy and smooth.

Overall: What's strange is, I was never a really big chocolate/peanut butter fan until I drank not only this, but Big Gruesome. Then anytime I had a brownie or any chocolate dessert, I added a dollop of peanut butter. I want to say I prefer Big Gruesome over this, which I have also reviewed, but I'd really have to try them back to back.

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

To me it's a good porter. Flavors of roasted nuts and earthy notes backed by a light tone of cocoa fused with just the right amount of hops. The beer it selfs is not as thick as I thought it'd be. It didn't give me a full feeling and went down quite easy. Again another DuClaw beer I like...Now I'm hungry for a peanut butter cup lol

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As a fan of Belching Beaver's Peanut Butter Milk Stout, I was excited to find a Maryland version of a peanut butter dark beer. DuClaw's version came from the taps of Max's Taphouse. On to the beer:

This beer is black, and there's a slightly tanned colored head sitting on top. Lots of webbed lacing around the glass. I came for a beer, but with the aroma, I got a big kick of dessert! WOW! That aroma is wicked! It's incredibly rich in chocolate and peanut butter, in fact reminding me of a peanut butter chocolate brownie that I had recently. The aroma will be tough to beat, but even the flavor is easy to fall into. The beer starts roasty, then quickly moves towards a semi-sweet chocolate, peanut butter filled milkshake. I think I'll stop before I start to drool over my notebook.

4.41/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

If you like or love Reese's peanut butter cups this is your beer. Chocolate and peanut butter in a very nice porter. I will definitely be purchasing more and recommending to friends. This is a delightful after dinner drink, that satisfies the sweet tooth and beer craving after a nice meal. Very smooth taste, and finish. Pick some up if you can find it!

4.37/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a deep dark brown/black color with a 1 ½ to 2 fingers of creamy dark caramel colored head. Great example of what a porter should look like.

Aroma: It’s called a chocolate peanut butter porter, and boy, are they not kidding! The beer has strong aromas of roasted peanuts and chocolate and roasted malt and dark bread and the usual roasted coffee smell that most porters have. Smells absolutely fantastic.

Taste: Again, the name isn’t lying. This is very much peanut butter and chocolate! Roasted peanuts and slightly bitter chocolate are the first tastes I get, followed by strong roasted malt presence and dark bread, followed by a slight saltiness that goes well with the chocolate. What surprises me is that this isn’t a sweet beer, which you would think it would be, no, this is a nice savory beer. The beer certainly has that roasted malt/coffee flavor that porters should have, it just also has an extra dimension, depth really, that the peanut butter and chocolate provides. Great taste!

Mouthfeel: Not as carbonated as the head of the beer led me to believe, but that’s a good thing as I like my porters and stouts to have very little carbonation. However, the beer isn’t overly smooth either, there’s a chewiness present that I really like.

Overall: I really liked this beer. It’s very drinkable on its own, but with food, it’s even better! Deserts are the obvious paring, brownies, etc., and it makes an unbelievable ice cream beer float, but I really liked it with pretzels and other salty snacks.

4.37/5  rDev +16.5%

Recommended to me, so I bought one as part of a mix 6. Pours black as night, but where it really gets interesting is the smell. Massive peanut butter smell. Love it. But hen the taste is mostly chocolate, and the peanut butter takes a back seat. Delicious dessert porter. Still, one at a time is enough. Reese's peanut butter cup as a beer.

4.36/5  rDev +16.3%

Exponentially better on tap, but the bottles have some serious peanut aromatics and flavors going on. This was bottled on 1/29/14, guess what it looks ruby cola deep brown, with a nice tan mocha head forming nicely. Fine speckled bands of lacing, great looking beer sitting in my glass. Aromatics are peanut butter to the core, think peanut skins and Jiff. Wonderful smell A+ there's not a better smelling beer around with this much similarity to a Reese's peanut butter cup!!! Flavor is dry finished with the peanut butter/dark dry chocolate notes coming forth, I'm glad it has these flavors without stepping into the dessert beer/diabetes realm like some of the Southern Tier Choklat and Crème Brule overt sweetness. There's a natural roasted malt finish with lingering salty peanut notes between sips, man I dig this beer. The first time I had it was a couple months back at Caliente in Bloomfield. Nice to see they are getting distribution in PA at Giant Eagle Market District. Mouthfeel is slick with peanut butter oils and medium bodied with even flowing carbonation it just works, I drained my glass faster than I should but damn it's so good and I thankfully have 5 left!

4.35/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Majorly brown body, thin head.

Aroma: One of the more intense peanut noses i've seen on a beer like this. Maybe some waffle cone. Light chocolate.

Flavor: More harsh roast character than the nose would believe, great peanut, notes, very light chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied true porter body, touch of some drying quality to the roast.

4.35/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Not sure the low score. Thought it poured a nice black color with moderate tan head. Amazing nose. Medium bodied. Great flavor might have been just a tad bit salty buy one of the better chocolate peanut butter beers I've had

4.35/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It pours black with a brown head and plenty of lacing. It has a strong aroma of peanut butter with roasted malts and nuts. It is fairly highly carbonated with peanut butter, roasted malts, some coffee, and hints of floral hops. It does have a creamy texture, but the high carbonation breaks it up some. It does have a bitter coffee kick on the palate.

4.34/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours a very dark brown color with some small, deep amber/ruby highlights when held up to the light. Has a slightly tan head that is about 2/3 or so of an inch thick when first poured and it settles to a thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with a nice big surface area of a film foam cover layer. Pretty good lacing too. Aromas of roasted nut, roasted caramel malt sweetness, chocolate notes, and a nice hint of black coffee are all certainly present. Tastes pretty much the same way it smells, with roasted nuts and caramel malt sweetness that gives way to some chocolate notes that is rounded out with some nice black coffee and slight hop bitterness. A very good balance of the flavors, and I do think the sweetness does dominate just slightly. Has a crisp, yet smooth and frothy, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. One of the best American Porters I have had in awhile.

4.34/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A-It pours a dark opaque color with light tan head that disaopears quickly.

S-It smells like the scratch and sniff sticker (if they don't have one they should get one) for the DuClaw beer company! Like a deep smell of chocolate candybars with a hint of nuts. Tasty!

T-Very chocolaty med-heavy feeling lingers to the nuttiness flavor. What complex mixture that blends so well.

O-What a great treat for an "every once in a while" beer. Very filling and just enough ABV to enjoy a growler with your wife. A recommended treat trust me!

4.33/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle pours a near-black color with an abundance of tan head. Nice retention and lace.

Ive seen Reese's Peanut Butter Cups as an aroma descriptor, but Im going to say it is more the cheaper Palmer Peanut Bunny Bites. Either way, it is amazingly like sugary Peanut Butter and chocolate. Maybe a bit more fudge brownie with nuts upon further inspection.

Taste is heavier on the chocolate than peanut butter as expected, I cant imagine it is easy to get that flavor in a beer...chocolate on the other hand...manageable. Its really more of a nutty presence than peanut butter, but a nice touch nonetheless. I like the fact they steered clear of hops for the most part, it would have ruined the nice sweet, chocolaty profile they were aiming for. Mouthfeel is decent, but I wouldnt mind a little more viscosity. Low carbonation is about right for this kind of beer. I like this, quite a bit actually...I would definitely recommend this.

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dark and opaque with a beige foamy head. Looks rich when it pours. Nose is sweet and nutty..lots of banana as well. Very mild .. Definitely hazelnut in there on a major level. Flavor follows through with the sweetness and develops into peanut butter and sugar wafer. Mouthfeel is typical of a porter on the creamier side. Overall I love what this beer delivers..but you gotta have a sweet tooth to really dig it

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

My second DuClaw offering and was I impressed. I am partial to porters and stouts, but I have had my fill of less than stellar brews - but Sweet Baby Jesus wasn't one of them.

From the look, smell, and tasted - all of it was amazing. A great dark beer with a beautiful tan head and great lacing. Both smell and taste has a great roasted caramel smell and taste - and it is truly a great bonus when they both match. I wasn't too impressed with the feel as it was more carbonated than I liked, but it was something I could overlook from an big picture perspective. Very good porter and a delicious way to celebrate a nice relaxing evening.

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

For those of us who have always dreamed of drinking a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, the 13 proof adult version is here!

Seriously though, this is a fantastic dessert-style porter that isn't too sweet, yet tastes totally and completely as advertised.

If I'm nit-picking, I'd like it a little less carbonated. That 6-pack I have show be NO problem to finish off.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours near pitch black with a finger of mocha foam. Aroma is overwhelmingly peanut butter... it smell just like a Reese's Peanut Butter cup.

First sip is a rush of peanut flavor, with a dry, slightly bitter finish. Bitterness lingers on the tongue. I wish there was more than that, but this tastes like roasted peanuts. The burnt roasty finish complements it well.

This is an interesting change of pace beer. At first I was skeptical, but this really pulls off the peanut butter flavor well, and somehow makes it seem like it has always belonged.

4.29/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Got this beer in a bottle after several people have recommended it to me.

Appearance - 4.5 - Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thick creamy head lands exactly at the top of the glass and takes a while to dissipate. The beer is almost black

Smell - 4.25 - Smells like peanut butter with some chocolate. If I was blindfolded I would have guessed that I was smelling a Resese's cup, not a beer.

Taste - 4.5 - Somewhat bitter. The chocolate taste is not overwhelming. Some roasted malt character, with a little bit of hop character - just enough to help the malts, chocolate, and peanut butter balance with each other. Not very bitter. The peanut is all in the aftertaste and lingers a while. It blends well, still having a small amount of chocolate to it.

Mouthfeel - 3.5 - Medium bodied mouthfeel. Much of the taste comes after it's swallowed.

Overall- 4.25 - This is a great beer. I would definitely drink it again. I don't usually like chocolate in my beers, but when it's mixed with peanut butter and not too much, like Sweet Baby Jesus, it's pretty good. This is my second favorite peanut butter beer so far, next to Spring House Big Gruesome. I would love to try this on tap.

4.27/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

So knowing what I know about DuClaw I go into this knowing its a gimmicky type of beer. Pour dark brown to black with an unremarkable head. Nothing too impressive about the look.

The smell on the other hand is great if you go into it looking for a dessert beer. Smells like a liquified Reese's peanut butter cup.

The taste is exactly the smell. Heavy chocolate malts with a peanut butter aftertaste. Again for a dessert beer, it is great.

Overall, many brewery's label there beer this and that like donut or pretzel but it early tastes like it says it should. Here's a case where it tastes exactly what the label says. So if you buy a chocolate peanutbutter porter and complain that it tastes sweet and chocolately and peanutbutter then it's your own dumb fault. It might be a little thin for a beer but it's a very nice dessert beer from time to time.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Haw River Farmhouse Ales teku glass. Bottleneck says Bottled 12/30/14.

A- Pours a 99% opaque black color with a 1/2 inch tan head that retains well before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a half sheet of sheer surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves small clots behind.

S- Big hazelnut aroma that's very sweet with notes of milk chocolate and caramel and peanut oil. Basically smells like Nutella.

T- Flavor is more peanut heavy with less sweetness than the aroma. Slight bitterness with the dark roasted malt complementing the rest of the profile. More chocolate plus some vanilla.

M- Has the viscosity of your usual porter with medium carbonation and a fullish body.

O- As someone who enjoys a good dessert beer, this one does the job very well. Very easy drinking and is sure to satisfy a peanut butter lover's tastes.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into Stone Snifter

Looks like a solid porter upon initial pour. Smell is something similar to boutique chocolate and candy shops. Smells incredible - especially if you have a sweet tooth. Sweet milk/cream, peanut butter, chocolate, almonds, Reese's peanut butter cup to be exact. Taste carries over much of the peanut butter chocolate and sweetened milk/cream. Not as great as the nose, but certainly still delicious.

4.26/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a snifter

This beer pours black as night. It is topped with two inches of mocha head.

It smells like dessert. Chocolate and peanut butter come through as advertised.

The flavors of chocolate and peanut butter work very nicely in this porter. The chocolate flavor is not too sweet and there is enough peanut butter to taste it and not just smell it like in other peanut butter beers that I have tried.

Thick, full, creamy are all words that come to mind when I think of the mouthfeel.

This has been a long time want for me. They finally made it to Ohio, and I am pleased.

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: The body is a very dark amber brown color topped off with a small soapy tan head. It’s head quickly settles down to a ring of foam at the edge of the glass with a wispy thin film in the center. Lacing is minimal.

Smell: It’s big nutty notes hit me right as I opened the bottle. In the glass I get loads of sweet peanut butter and cocoa powder like notes.

Taste / Palate: The flavor tastes just like a peanut butter sandwich covered in cocoa powder. Its sweet overall but not overly so. The feel is smooth and softly carbonated.

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Smells like peanut butter!! oh, and chocolate. very tempting.
Appearance- Pours a reddish brown with a small beige head.
Taste- Tastes ;like beer with peanut butter and chocolate. Pretty good.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Has a thick texture.
Overall- A pretty good stout.

Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw Brewing Company