Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

Sweet Baby JesusSweet Baby Jesus

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-23-2012)

dpool, Mar 24, 2014

dreichus, Apr 08, 2014

Paydr0, Sep 21, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -66.8%

HellAwaits, Jan 25, 2014
1.35/5  rDev -64.2%

This beer is another example of how people's taste buds must vary wildly, perhaps based on individual DNA. For me, the smell and the taste both made me slightly nauseated. While there WAS an odor of peanut butter and chocolate, I found it cloying. Right from that point, it was a bit of a struggle to take the first sip. With that first sip, and the few I took thereafter, my mouth involuntarily grimaced and my body actually briefly shivered.

I can only blame myself. I bought this bottle - just the one thankfully - because the name cracked me up. A friend who had tried it previously warned me - but I figured what the heck?

As I write this, the beer is sitting next to the keyboard looking all ominous. Of the 12 ounces, I think I have sipped through maybe 3. I can continue torturing myself by forcing myself to finish this to avoid the waste of the purchase price. Or I can pour it and just accept the loss. I just closed my eyes and inhaled from the glass once again, trying to be less biased. It smelled more of chocolate milk with a bit of peanut butter. But then opening my eyes and seeing this black ale again is making me feel vaguely sick.

Obviously, a fair number of reviewers LIKE this. So, like most beers, it has hit the mark for some folks. But I cannot finish it. I just can't. The only other beer I have had to pour in recent memory was some horrible chile beer from Mexico. Honestly, I find this beer to be at least as bad as that was, and I never thought I would ever react so negatively to another beer after I tried that one.

Kudos to the brewer, though, DuClaw makes some very fine brews! Normally, I really like "out of the box" experiments with beer styles and flavors. This one just didn't work for me.

And now, I must regretfully take this glass over to the kitchen sink....

Shade1951, May 07, 2014
1.36/5  rDev -63.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Appearance-dark brown but can see through the beer when held up to the light. No head to speak of.

Smell-the best thing about this beer. Smells like a peanut butter cup.

Taste-artificial/chemical peanut butter taste and not much else. The PB dominates here. An astringent quality is present.

Mouthfeel-thin beer, basically watery. The astringency/acidity can be felt on the tongue.

Overall-a crime to call this a Porter. Roasted malts are weak, if present at all, no head, watery, artificial taste. If you want a "crafted" Porter grab a Samuel Smith Taddy Porter or Founders Porter. This reeks of mass production.

mmars010, Oct 11, 2013

DanParsons37, Jul 07, 2014

VinoGuy, Jan 05, 2014

Argion, Oct 09, 2013
1.7/5  rDev -54.9%

I love just about anything with peanut butter, so I was really excited to try this. It looks like a decent porter in the glass and smells really good! The peanuty nose got my expectations really high! And then I tasted it....oh god.. it's like burnt toast drizzled with acid... not even remotely like peanuts or chocolate for that matter. Prickly carbonation and unnatural chemicaly flavors feel like they are leaving mild burns in my mouth. It gets worse as it warms up. The smell is only there to tease me as to how good this beer could/should have been juxtaposed with this abomination. I got about halfway through the bottle and couldn't take it any more... one of my very few drain pours. I'll give it this much, it's unique, but that doesn't make it any good. If your curiousity compels you to try this make sure you buy it as a single.

Ranbot, Jun 23, 2014