Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-23-2012

First brewed in 2011, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is jet black in color with a tan, rocky head, full body and creamy, luxurious mouthfeel. Its lightly sweet, malty flavor is accented by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee and peanut butter, and balanced by a subtle hop character and moderate 6.5% abv. Sweet Baby Jesus finishes smooth, dry, and roasty with lingering notes of chocolate and peanut butter so savory, you will exclaim its name!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweet Baby Jesus Alström Bros
Reviews: 319 | Hads: 2,121
1.18/5  rDev -68.6%

Im sorry but porters are my favorite style. But I found this beer undrinkable. The peanut butter smell and taste are overwhelming and just nasty. Not even worth the price .

1.37/5  rDev -63.6%

Cloying as hell. Tastes like they squirted a few pumps of Reese's flavoring into each bottle before capping it. DuClaw usually has solid offerings, I don't know what this was supposed to be.

1.4/5  rDev -62.8%

This beer is another example of how people's taste buds must vary wildly, perhaps based on individual DNA. For me, the smell and the taste both made me slightly nauseated. While there WAS an odor of peanut butter and chocolate, I found it cloying. Right from that point, it was a bit of a struggle to take the first sip. With that first sip, and the few I took thereafter, my mouth involuntarily grimaced and my body actually briefly shivered.

I can only blame myself. I bought this bottle - just the one thankfully - because the name cracked me up. A friend who had tried it previously warned me - but I figured what the heck?

As I write this, the beer is sitting next to the keyboard looking all ominous. Of the 12 ounces, I think I have sipped through maybe 3. I can continue torturing myself by forcing myself to finish this to avoid the waste of the purchase price. Or I can pour it and just accept the loss. I just closed my eyes and inhaled from the glass once again, trying to be less biased. It smelled more of chocolate milk with a bit of peanut butter. But then opening my eyes and seeing this black ale again is making me feel vaguely sick.

Obviously, a fair number of reviewers LIKE this. So, like most beers, it has hit the mark for some folks. But I cannot finish it. I just can't. The only other beer I have had to pour in recent memory was some horrible chile beer from Mexico. Honestly, I find this beer to be at least as bad as that was, and I never thought I would ever react so negatively to another beer after I tried that one.

Kudos to the brewer, though, DuClaw makes some very fine brews! Normally, I really like "out of the box" experiments with beer styles and flavors. This one just didn't work for me.

And now, I must regretfully take this glass over to the kitchen sink....

1.43/5  rDev -62%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Appearance-dark brown but can see through the beer when held up to the light. No head to speak of.

Smell-the best thing about this beer. Smells like a peanut butter cup.

Taste-artificial/chemical peanut butter taste and not much else. The PB dominates here. An astringent quality is present.

Mouthfeel-thin beer, basically watery. The astringency/acidity can be felt on the tongue.

Overall-a crime to call this a Porter. Roasted malts are weak, if present at all, no head, watery, artificial taste. If you want a "crafted" Porter grab a Samuel Smith Taddy Porter or Founders Porter. This reeks of mass production.

1.47/5  rDev -60.9%

12 oz bottle @ 45F poured into Nonic glass. Dark brown with ruby highlights and light tan head dissipated fairly quickly. Aroma of roasted peanuts--off to a good start! Body is a bit thin but not too bad for a porter. Well what do you know --it tastes like chocolate and peanut butter!!! ...and then the harshly bitter, artificial flavor qualities kick in!!! Can't take more than a few more sips of this. When I bought it I didn't know that artificial flavors had been added -- that's cheating in my opinion. Worse than that, it just tastes bad. My first non-infected drainpour...EVER! I've always finished my beer, even when it was nasty, because I had assumed that it had been made honestly. I can't say that in this case.

1.48/5  rDev -60.6%

This brew could be the poster child for the "Anti-Craft Beer" people.

Pure gimmick. Too sweet, too fake tasting. Two sips in, and I'm feeling sick to my stomach from the cloying heaviness. Add to that an aftertaste that refuses to go away, and you have a perfect example of why some people laugh at the craft-beer industry.

*This* should have been the beer that Bud mocked in their infamous ads ...

1.59/5  rDev -57.7%
look: 4 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Nope. Not for me. Sounded like a good idea on paper, but the flavor seems like random squirts of extract, there is just nothing real or organic about this beer, in my humble opinion. I am sure I am wrong, and your mileage may vary. I guess it has its place (dessert?), but four sips in, it's place was "down the drain" at my house. Considered grabbing a different beer to cleanse my palette, but after SBJ, I did not want any more beer that evening. If this were the only thing to drink on a desert island, I'd drink salt water.

1.84/5  rDev -51.1%

I love just about anything with peanut butter, so I was really excited to try this. It looks like a decent porter in the glass and smells really good! The peanuty nose got my expectations really high! And then I tasted it....oh god.. it's like burnt toast drizzled with acid... not even remotely like peanuts or chocolate for that matter. Prickly carbonation and unnatural chemicaly flavors feel like they are leaving mild burns in my mouth. It gets worse as it warms up. The smell is only there to tease me as to how good this beer could/should have been juxtaposed with this abomination. I got about halfway through the bottle and couldn't take it any more... one of my very few drain pours. I'll give it this much, it's unique, but that doesn't make it any good. If your curiousity compels you to try this make sure you buy it as a single.

1.95/5  rDev -48.1%

Cracked this open thinking it would be a fun, dessert-like experience, but was sorely disappointed. The main thrust of whatever chocolate or peanut butter that existed was in the initial aroma upon opening, but then quickly dissipated, as did the meager 1/4" foam head. (No lacing with this one whatever.) NOT at all sweet. Very dry, with a big boozy and lingering bitter finish. There's perhaps something very faint in the smell or taste that I kept trying to pin/attribute to chocolate or peanut butter, but couldn't make that real. The one thing I did like was the creamy/bubbly in-mouth texture, but again, the bitterness/booze in this one just off-putting for me. It may have become slightly more tolerable as it warmed, as after the initial sips, I thought it might be drain-bound, but did finish. Glad I didn't purchase a 6.

1.96/5  rDev -47.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

the smell was nice peanut butter and chocolate porter but that was it the taste was fake like artificial flavoring the three flavors didn't go together at all though i would loved this on but i feel it missed the mark.

2.06/5  rDev -45.2%

If super sweet beers and peanut butter are your thing then go for it. Otherwise stay away. I would hesitate to call this "beer". It is about as much a beer as limerita, flavored malt beverage at best.

2.08/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

There's a term in psychology for behavior control called "flooding" which is used to cure smokers of their addiction to tobacco or kids of their addiction to pinball (or video games, since I just remembered I'm not a 60 year old). Basically, you overwhelm the senses and supersize the experience until the patient cries uncle. Do it 'til you hate it.

SBJ is the chocolate/peanut butter beer that does just that. You know how cough syrup is flavored like cherries to hide the nasty flavor, but the cherry is so overdone that it still makes you want to vomit. Well SBJ does that too.

I've heard both glorious praise and vengeful anger about this beer for a long time, so I was curious about what the arguably most controversial beer in America is.

And in the end, I could barely finish the bottle. Too much! Too much sweet chocolate, too much rich peanut butter, too thick and sticky so that not only is the flavor overdone, but it refuses to leave your mouth for 5 minutes until you get a chaser. That's right, this beer needs a chaser. And I never use a chaser.

I will admit that what this beer sets out to do, it does well, or rather, thoroughly, so overall extra points for that. It's very much a porter, and if I were only committing to a 4 oz taster, I'd be okay. But having to down a whole bottle of bubbly, yeasty, melted Reeses is not my idea of a good time.

In conclusion, this stuff tastes like diarrhea expelled from its namesake.

2.09/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Pour from a bottle into snifter glass
pour is dark brown and little head
smell is heavy peanut butter slight chocolate
taste is kind of like reese peanut butter cup but not as sweet
kind of like drinking liquid peanut butter
was smooth but taste horrible
actually split the bottle with my girlfriend she took one sip and drain pour
i was brave and drank a couple more sips than follow her and drain pour
was weird not in a good way and fit for the drain instead of the bottle
would never try again

2.14/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Poured bottle into glass. 6.5% abv

Appearance- Very dark, almost black. Two finger head that is chocolate milk brown in color.

Smell- An inviting combination of fresh milk chocolate with a big time aroma of peanut butter. Not unlike that of candy at all.

Taste- Actually quite bland. Taste does not translate from smell. Has a sourness quality about it as well. I can barely taste the chocolate or the peanut butter. Can someone say artificial? Wait, it says that on the front of the bottle.

Mouthfeel- Medium with low carbonation.

Overall- I actually could not finish this one which says a lot from me. Unable to swallow without making a face. As stated, there is a sourness and staleness in the taste. Try it if you were curious like I was but use caution. This bottle was not expired either.

2.19/5  rDev -41.8%

This is my first, and last, Sweet Baby Jesus. I'm currently judging those who have recommended it to me.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a glass.
Look: Great dark color, nearly black. Tiny head that stuck around and got creamy after a while.
Smell: Initially straight up peanut butter. Pleasantly interesting! Then it hit...a fake chocolate smell. Smells like a chocolate scratch-n-sniff sticker I had in first grade. Not a good smell.
Taste: No peanut butter, a little toasty, lots of that fake, chemical-like taste. Part chocolate scratch-n-sniff sticker, part hot credit card. When that mixes with a lingering bitterness, something unpleasant happens in the aftertaste department. There might be a decent porter hiding under there, but I'm having trouble finding it.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, fairly smooth, borderline cloying.
Overall: Though the concept could work, this isn't it. I won't be rocking this baby again.

2.26/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Can't get past the fake/artificial nut smell and taste that comes with this beer (very similar to that which I get from Pumpking). Very off putting. Little to no chocolate on the nose or tongue. Had high hopes for this one but it wasn't executed well.

2.27/5  rDev -39.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: It appears very dark, pretty much black but it is actually a deep reddish brown, which you can see from the light refraction at the bottom of the glass. It pours a standard thin vanilla latte head that has some good lacing.

S: It smells quite good, almost exactly as its description. It is primarily a peanut butter smell, and I actually get more of a PB&J sandwich smell, with a nice hot dark chocolate on the side. The smell is probably the best part, but even though it smells good, the smells are a bit dull and flat. By that I mean, the smell doesn't change or seem to be actively infusing and changing.

T: BURNT! (a little bit of an inside joke that is unrelated) You get this burnt toast taste with the taste of unsweetened cacao hot chocolate (DAGOBA brand), as well as the taste of badly roasted raw peanuts. The malt in it does not help with its off-balance addition of a bit of sweetness. There isn't a single thing that I like in this.

M: This is a very smooth beer that almost has no carbonation at all. I'm not sure how I feel about this for a porter, even though I am still slightly new to them. I wish there was a bit of a carbonation feel or even a bite.

O: I have previously had a sample of this at a bar when I said I had never had a DuClaw beer. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now. It smells ok, but it doesn't taste anything like it smells. The reason people buy this is the combination of its interesting name and the idea of having a beer that tastes like chocolate and peanut butter (nutella for the most part). This is my first DuClaw and I live in MD. They have just never attracted me, with their graphic design or reputation. I'll stick to Flying Dog. This got a drain pour, since I was already stocked up on beer bread. I probably could have gone with an even lower score.

2.29/5  rDev -39.1%

This gave me a new low in which to measure all other beers. WOW was this sour! not a "raspberry" sour, a "gone bad" sour. Yikes!! The reviews are all over the board, really good to (in my case) really bad. How can 1 beer be so different to so many people?

2.31/5  rDev -38.6%

From what I have sampled, DuClaw seems to be a gimmicky brewery, and this is the king of their gimmicky beers. The insane amount of peanut butter just blatantly jumps the shark. What you can taste about the porter isn't really all that bad, like the pleasant chocolaty malts ... but it's hard to detect anything beyond the obnoxious peanut butter. I do like brewers trying new things and being experimental, and I know several people that love this beer. But for me, this was not enjoyable and I will never be having this one again.

2.31/5  rDev -38.6%

A: Very dark, but not pitch black, with a hint of red. Extremely light carbonation when poured.

S: Extremely powerful nose of peanut butter, a potential slight chocolate aroma but the peanut butter dominates.

T: No shortage flavors going on. Somewhat bitter initially which suggests dark chocolate then finishing with some odd off-tastes. Also, the powerful flavors start to overwhelm the palate so the later sips are not as overpowering as the initial ones. The dark malt body and any hops that may be present are overwhelmed by the syrupy tasting flavor additives.

M: The initial finish is dry and not thick at all in body, but it somehow leaves mouth feeling sweet and sticky.

O: This is a beer that must be drank in small doses. Fine for splitting with a friend at the end of the night but it really does a number on the palate. Certainly infused with chocolate and peanut butter flavors as advertised but the flavors are somewhat harsh and don't seem as balance as they could be.

2.47/5  rDev -34.3%

Little to no head- sweet synthetic chocolate scent. The peanut butter part is subtle. I'd recommend drinking this from the bottle to avoid smell. Still a good porter. Would advise to try

2.54/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

I have to say I really dislike the nose on this beer. It smells like dehydrated peanut dust with a roasted tone that just makes it kind of, eh. Flavor, unfortunately, tastes like gobs of peanut butter that is too highly processed with some chalky cocoa on there as well.

This doesn't work for me. Not smooth. Not pleasant to drink. Tastes completely artificial. I think it's going to end up being a drain pour. I think I just don't care for much of anything from this brewery. At least nothing that I can recall at this point.

2.69/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Ba Review #265
Served On: 4/05/2013
Glassware: Duvel Glass
Labeled ABV: 6.5%
Date/ Code: -

This was from a 6 pack I found at Evergreen Liquors in Frederick ($8.99).

Look: Projected a very dark color with no real transparency. The head was a thin film that quickly reduced to nothing. Lacing was random and probably accidental.

Smell: Pungent smell of artificial peanut flavoring and not too much else.

Taste: Again, the peanut flavoring completely dominated upfront until an unexpected bitterness slammed the palate. Then nothing.

This was a very 1-dimesnional beer that just screamed artificial. I can’t imagine much thought really went into this one. –Disappointed...

2.71/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

- Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter.

A: Rich hersey chocolate pour produces a saddle brown tinted head of one inch magnitude. Average retention rate yields a slight circular pattern of lace on the vessel.

S: Strong aroma of peanut butter freshly opened, toasted peanuts with some dark, rich chocolate with some dry cocoa on the trial. The peanut butter is really dominant here and stands out, really odd, but nice if you enjoy peanut butter, smells very natural, even if the label states artifical.

T: The flavor takes a nose dive and the artifical flavoring becomes apparent. Stale chocolate, cocoa while the peanut butter aspect is dry, faint and not as fresh, more so stale. There is some tinny and metallic nature to the drink as well, some creamer and donought batter as odd as that may seem. Weak, watery coffee, tart plums with some hazelnut contributes with a watery peanut-coffee flavor odd fade.

M: creamy, dry, lightly bitter of medium bodied with a reserved carbonation factor.Stale chocolate and lack of depth body wise per style hurts this.

O: Overall while the idea is intriguing, the aroma not bad, the execution here flavor wise fails miserablely and didn't translate for me. Seemed a bit stale, thin, with some tinny off flavors and the peanut butter though enticing on the nose, was stale and hardly recoginizable in the flavor. Really not an enjoyable drink and one that i struggled to finish. You can probably get a sample of this at a growler station, even a single purchase will make you doubt judgement later. Im pretty close in scoring to the ba average for a great deal of time, but this one i just cant agree with. A gimmick beer with an interesting concept that was poorly executed and a whole heartly avoid unless you just have to see if the schrodingers cat is really alive in the box.

2.71/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Super creamy head - not huge, but if you gaze long enough, you can convince yourself it's a layer of tan marshmallow fluff. The body is exceptionally dark for a porter, with zero light coming through.

Remember those peanut butter Halloween candies that were wrapped in orange or black wax paper? This beer has strong peanut butter on the nose, but in a "bad Halloween candy" sort of way - like sticking your head in a cheap plastic pumpkin full of them. Acrylic, chemical, peanut butter factory.

Forcing myself past the disappointing nose, that's a really well made beer - creamy, roasty, malty, balanced, but still with that over-riding peanut butter. Subtlety is not the goal here - like they intended a beer that screams, "And don't you forget it's peanut butter!"

Really very good - great mouthfeel, low carbonation.

Can't get past the heavy peanut butter to enjoy it. Reducing that some would help this beer a lot.

Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw Brewing Company