1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

Sweet Baby JesusSweet Baby Jesus

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-23-2012)

2.01/5  rDev -46.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Poured bottle into glass. 6.5% abv

Appearance- Very dark, almost black. Two finger head that is chocolate milk brown in color.

Smell- An inviting combination of fresh milk chocolate with a big time aroma of peanut butter. Not unlike that of candy at all.

Taste- Actually quite bland. Taste does not translate from smell. Has a sourness quality about it as well. I can barely taste the chocolate or the peanut butter. Can someone say artificial? Wait, it says that on the front of the bottle.

Mouthfeel- Medium with low carbonation.

Overall- I actually could not finish this one which says a lot from me. Unable to swallow without making a face. As stated, there is a sourness and staleness in the taste. Try it if you were curious like I was but use caution. This bottle was not expired either.

2.03/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Pour from a bottle into snifter glass
pour is dark brown and little head
smell is heavy peanut butter slight chocolate
taste is kind of like reese peanut butter cup but not as sweet
kind of like drinking liquid peanut butter
was smooth but taste horrible
actually split the bottle with my girlfriend she took one sip and drain pour
i was brave and drank a couple more sips than follow her and drain pour
was weird not in a good way and fit for the drain instead of the bottle
would never try again

2.18/5  rDev -42.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: It appears very dark, pretty much black but it is actually a deep reddish brown, which you can see from the light refraction at the bottom of the glass. It pours a standard thin vanilla latte head that has some good lacing.

S: It smells quite good, almost exactly as its description. It is primarily a peanut butter smell, and I actually get more of a PB&J sandwich smell, with a nice hot dark chocolate on the side. The smell is probably the best part, but even though it smells good, the smells are a bit dull and flat. By that I mean, the smell doesn't change or seem to be actively infusing and changing.

T: BURNT! (a little bit of an inside joke that is unrelated) You get this burnt toast taste with the taste of unsweetened cacao hot chocolate (DAGOBA brand), as well as the taste of badly roasted raw peanuts. The malt in it does not help with its off-balance addition of a bit of sweetness. There isn't a single thing that I like in this.

M: This is a very smooth beer that almost has no carbonation at all. I'm not sure how I feel about this for a porter, even though I am still slightly new to them. I wish there was a bit of a carbonation feel or even a bite.

O: I have previously had a sample of this at a bar when I said I had never had a DuClaw beer. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now. It smells ok, but it doesn't taste anything like it smells. The reason people buy this is the combination of its interesting name and the idea of having a beer that tastes like chocolate and peanut butter (nutella for the most part). This is my first DuClaw and I live in MD. They have just never attracted me, with their graphic design or reputation. I'll stick to Flying Dog. This got a drain pour, since I was already stocked up on beer bread. I probably could have gone with an even lower score.

2.2/5  rDev -41.8%

This gave me a new low in which to measure all other beers. WOW was this sour! not a "raspberry" sour, a "gone bad" sour. Yikes!! The reviews are all over the board, really good to (in my case) really bad. How can 1 beer be so different to so many people?

2.24/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Can't get past the fake/artificial nut smell and taste that comes with this beer (very similar to that which I get from Pumpking). Very off putting. Little to no chocolate on the nose or tongue. Had high hopes for this one but it wasn't executed well.

2.33/5  rDev -38.4%

From what I have sampled, DuClaw seems to be a gimmicky brewery, and this is the king of their gimmicky beers. The insane amount of peanut butter just blatantly jumps the shark. What you can taste about the porter isn't really all that bad, like the pleasant chocolaty malts ... but it's hard to detect anything beyond the obnoxious peanut butter. I do like brewers trying new things and being experimental, and I know several people that love this beer. But for me, this was not enjoyable and I will never be having this one again.

2.33/5  rDev -38.4%

A: Very dark, but not pitch black, with a hint of red. Extremely light carbonation when poured.

S: Extremely powerful nose of peanut butter, a potential slight chocolate aroma but the peanut butter dominates.

T: No shortage flavors going on. Somewhat bitter initially which suggests dark chocolate then finishing with some odd off-tastes. Also, the powerful flavors start to overwhelm the palate so the later sips are not as overpowering as the initial ones. The dark malt body and any hops that may be present are overwhelmed by the syrupy tasting flavor additives.

M: The initial finish is dry and not thick at all in body, but it somehow leaves mouth feeling sweet and sticky.

O: This is a beer that must be drank in small doses. Fine for splitting with a friend at the end of the night but it really does a number on the palate. Certainly infused with chocolate and peanut butter flavors as advertised but the flavors are somewhat harsh and don't seem as balance as they could be.

2.4/5  rDev -36.5%