Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

Sweet Baby JesusSweet Baby Jesus

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-23-2012

First brewed in 2011, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is jet black in color with a tan, rocky head, full body and creamy, luxurious mouthfeel. Its lightly sweet, malty flavor is accented by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee and peanut butter, and balanced by a subtle hop character and moderate 6.5% abv. Sweet Baby Jesus finishes smooth, dry, and roasty with lingering notes of chocolate and peanut butter so savory, you will exclaim its name!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweet Baby Jesus Alström Bros
Reviews: 293 | Hads: 2,026
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

Your peanut butter is in my chocolate. Ah, two great flavors in my favorite beverage! Who'd have thought something so strange would taste so good? Each balances the other well enough while the subtle sweetness helps pull it all together. A nice aroma reminiscent of a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup greets the nose as you bring the cup to the lips. A very carbonated, soda-like mouthfeel to tickle the tongue rounds it off.
This is a wonderful beer to help conclude a work week.

3.96/5  rDev +5.3%

I poured this outstanding beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was really black and I really had reservations about a beer with pnut butter. The tan head the beer poured was very nice. The beer was really good with just a touch of the pnut butter taste taste coming through a rich afterburner sorghum molasses taste I really liked. I will certainly buy this beer again.

3.69/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark but not pitch black, just as a porter should be

S: Very interesting, it smells of peanut butter but its got a metallic smell as well which is why I cannot rate it higher

T: Actually tastes like peanut butter without making me want to throw up. Very well done for this style

M: Solid

O: I am rating this beer for what it is, it isn't something you would drink 4 of in one night but it is good when drinking one here or there. Usually gimmicky/novelty beers like this gross me out but this one was not bad, I am a sucker for peanut butter!

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dark and opaque with a beige foamy head. Looks rich when it pours. Nose is sweet and nutty..lots of banana as well. Very mild .. Definitely hazelnut in there on a major level. Flavor follows through with the sweetness and develops into peanut butter and sugar wafer. Mouthfeel is typical of a porter on the creamier side. Overall I love what this beer delivers..but you gotta have a sweet tooth to really dig it

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is one of those polarizing beers that you either love or you hate. It pours a dark, dark brown with minimal off-white head. It smells like chocolate and peanut butter and I'm digging it already. Taste is, SURPRISE! - peanut butter and chocolate. Medium bodied - it's basically fizzy Reeses pieces. This is an incredibly unique beer and I'm really digging it. If you can get past the fact that you're essentially drinking a liquid peanut butter cup, you'll probably dig it too - assuming you like peanut butter cups of course. Dessert beer.

Overall, while I wouldn't want to drink this on any kind of regular basis, it's very enjoyable when the mood persists. If this were slightly heavier bodied and frothier, it would be a phenomenal treat. Nitro tap please.

3.61/5  rDev -4%

The smell of this beer is what really gets me. It's perfect. It's a Reese's peanut butter cup straight up your nose. The taste doesn't match it; but it could be that the smell is so good that the taste really disappoints.

I also wish this were a heavier beer. Feels a little thin. I like it a little more than I don't like it, though. And when I paired it with a teaspoon of peanut butter, a little bit of magic happened.

It's okay. Worth a shot.

1.4/5  rDev -62.8%

This beer is another example of how people's taste buds must vary wildly, perhaps based on individual DNA. For me, the smell and the taste both made me slightly nauseated. While there WAS an odor of peanut butter and chocolate, I found it cloying. Right from that point, it was a bit of a struggle to take the first sip. With that first sip, and the few I took thereafter, my mouth involuntarily grimaced and my body actually briefly shivered.

I can only blame myself. I bought this bottle - just the one thankfully - because the name cracked me up. A friend who had tried it previously warned me - but I figured what the heck?

As I write this, the beer is sitting next to the keyboard looking all ominous. Of the 12 ounces, I think I have sipped through maybe 3. I can continue torturing myself by forcing myself to finish this to avoid the waste of the purchase price. Or I can pour it and just accept the loss. I just closed my eyes and inhaled from the glass once again, trying to be less biased. It smelled more of chocolate milk with a bit of peanut butter. But then opening my eyes and seeing this black ale again is making me feel vaguely sick.

Obviously, a fair number of reviewers LIKE this. So, like most beers, it has hit the mark for some folks. But I cannot finish it. I just can't. The only other beer I have had to pour in recent memory was some horrible chile beer from Mexico. Honestly, I find this beer to be at least as bad as that was, and I never thought I would ever react so negatively to another beer after I tried that one.

Kudos to the brewer, though, DuClaw makes some very fine brews! Normally, I really like "out of the box" experiments with beer styles and flavors. This one just didn't work for me.

And now, I must regretfully take this glass over to the kitchen sink....

4.96/5  rDev +31.9%

I first tried this beer at the Virginia Beach Craft Beer festival. As I walked up to the booth, I was thinking to myself "peanut-butter beer? How good can it really be?" Well as soon as I got my first sip of heaven I knew it could be that good.

There should be a rating of "dangerous" because this is a beer that I can either enjoy and casually sip on, or I could drink all day and all night and not even realize it. It's a bit of a heavy beer, with just a very slight taste of chocolate. To explain exactly how it tasted, it was like a stout, Nutella, and a bunch of Reese's pieces had an orgy and this cup of deliciousness was the orgasmic outcome.

The smell was of Reese's and Guinness, and it was just as smooth as the two of them, although it could have been a bit creamier than watery. I know I'm comparing a porter to stout but I'm still not sure what the damn difference is.

Regardless, this beer is absolutely a 5/5. The only thing bad is the aftertaste, but it's of peanuts. All in all it's still a win-win. At 6.5% ABV this is truly alcoholism in a bottle.

3.06/5  rDev -18.6%

This beer is very thin and somewhat watery. The smell is very weak. The mouthfeel is lacking. The taste is disappointing. When I read chocolate peanut butter porter, I am expecting chocolate and peanut butter. The chocolate and peanut butter taste is lacking. I would not drink this again. Maybe I had an old bottle. I bet it tastes great on tap.

3.96/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Black with a fair amount of light coming through. Off white head quickly dissipates. Solid lacing.

S- Straight up Nutter-Butter. Milk chocolate and nutty roasted notes.

T- Interesting to say the least. Lots of roasted nuts, peanut butter, and sweet malts. Some artificial aspects, but not off putting.

M- A little thin for the style. Nice carbonation though.

O- one the better "flavored" beers I have had in a while. PB from the aroma to the flavor. It is a weird mix of flavors, but it all works for me.

2.29/5  rDev -39.1%

This gave me a new low in which to measure all other beers. WOW was this sour! not a "raspberry" sour, a "gone bad" sour. Yikes!! The reviews are all over the board, really good to (in my case) really bad. How can 1 beer be so different to so many people?

2.14/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Poured bottle into glass. 6.5% abv

Appearance- Very dark, almost black. Two finger head that is chocolate milk brown in color.

Smell- An inviting combination of fresh milk chocolate with a big time aroma of peanut butter. Not unlike that of candy at all.

Taste- Actually quite bland. Taste does not translate from smell. Has a sourness quality about it as well. I can barely taste the chocolate or the peanut butter. Can someone say artificial? Wait, it says that on the front of the bottle.

Mouthfeel- Medium with low carbonation.

Overall- I actually could not finish this one which says a lot from me. Unable to swallow without making a face. As stated, there is a sourness and staleness in the taste. Try it if you were curious like I was but use caution. This bottle was not expired either.

3.89/5  rDev +3.5%

12oz bottle into a pint glass

Black body with a pancakes on the griddle type head.

strong smell of chocolate and peanut butter.

Taste as smells, with a good dash of sweey roasted malt.

Mouth is slightly on the thin side, overall, a good porter /stout.

3.89/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with a very light bodied head. The head dissipates very quickly and leaves just a dark brown beer.

Smell: Characteristics of Peanut butter and subtle chocolate with some sweet vanilla. Notes are difficult to pick up off of the smell alone however.

Taste: It does what it's title describes, however, nothing more. Bland on the tail end after subtle notes of peanut butter with very little chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Customary to a porter, however I wish it was thicker since it is a peanut butter beer. That being said, It's true to it's name and has a thin body as expected.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer, but can't say I'd go out of my way for it. That being said, maybe it's just fallen off a little bit since it was bottled in December.

2.71/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

- Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter.

A: Rich hersey chocolate pour produces a saddle brown tinted head of one inch magnitude. Average retention rate yields a slight circular pattern of lace on the vessel.

S: Strong aroma of peanut butter freshly opened, toasted peanuts with some dark, rich chocolate with some dry cocoa on the trial. The peanut butter is really dominant here and stands out, really odd, but nice if you enjoy peanut butter, smells very natural, even if the label states artifical.

T: The flavor takes a nose dive and the artifical flavoring becomes apparent. Stale chocolate, cocoa while the peanut butter aspect is dry, faint and not as fresh, more so stale. There is some tinny and metallic nature to the drink as well, some creamer and donought batter as odd as that may seem. Weak, watery coffee, tart plums with some hazelnut contributes with a watery peanut-coffee flavor odd fade.

M: creamy, dry, lightly bitter of medium bodied with a reserved carbonation factor.Stale chocolate and lack of depth body wise per style hurts this.

O: Overall while the idea is intriguing, the aroma not bad, the execution here flavor wise fails miserablely and didn't translate for me. Seemed a bit stale, thin, with some tinny off flavors and the peanut butter though enticing on the nose, was stale and hardly recoginizable in the flavor. Really not an enjoyable drink and one that i struggled to finish. You can probably get a sample of this at a growler station, even a single purchase will make you doubt judgement later. Im pretty close in scoring to the ba average for a great deal of time, but this one i just cant agree with. A gimmick beer with an interesting concept that was poorly executed and a whole heartly avoid unless you just have to see if the schrodingers cat is really alive in the box.

2.83/5  rDev -24.7%

A peanut butter stout is one of those things i guess where you think it would be a good idea before you try it and then after you tried it you wonder how it good ever be a good idea.

Its not a bad brewed beer, DuKlaw makes some good beers. Just a little ambitious i guess, or perhaps liquid peanut butter is just not a place to go for beers.

The stout body is fine at first but there is an awful reaction i guess from the combination of stout and peanut butter that makes this almost undrinkable while drinking it but the aftertaste is actually not bad. it is drinkable but only because i refused to sandbag a beer.

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into an Imperial pint glass.

A- Poured an oil slick dark brown color, near black. Opaque with visible carbonation. About a 1/2 F of dark mocha colored head thins out quickly. Some spotty lacing.

S- The first thing that came to mind after popping the cap was a squeeze bottle of that Hershey chocolate flavor syrup. Fortunately, that aroma was fleeting and the smell improved when poured into the glass: creamy peanut butter, rich chocolate, and roasted malt.

T- Chocolate-y peanut butter. Roasted malt with the mineral side-effect that I find common to other porters.

M- Thin and tingly. That's ok, it's a porter. Hop bite keeps the sweets in line.

O- Better than I thought it would be. Not too sweet, a big plus; chocolate and PB could've been a sugar bomb.

3.95/5  rDev +5.1%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Poured very black in color with a good fingers worth of head that settles to a thin layer, with wonderful lacing from start to finish.

S: Wow... Peanut butter right upfront, then chocolate, Roasted malts and coffee. Really smells good.

T: Taste is right on with the smell... Peanut butter and chocolate right upfront maybe a little milk mixed in... I'm getting coffee bitterness mid palette. The finish smooth with a hint of peanut butter.

M: Pretty smooth and creamy but oddly thin.

O: Wow... Very interesting brew.... Peanut butter... Really.... Fantastic mix of flavors.... Reese Cup beer. Only down fall was it felt a little thin, but this brew is really worth looking for.

3.61/5  rDev -4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Sweet Baby Jesus pours a black color, with a small lacing head. There is a strong peanut butter aroma. The has a strong peanut butter flavor, with hints of chocolates, tastes like a peanut butter cup. Nice and creamy, no overpowering flavors. Overall a nice creamy well put together beer.

4.1/5  rDev +9%

Appearance is a nice dark brown/black color with a lightly tan head

Smell of peanut butter and chocolate with a hint of hazelnut

Tastes Awesome! Chocolate and peanut butter, both complementing each other

Thin body with a nice amount of carbonation

A great beer with a great taste! Neither flavor is overpowering. I enjoyed this beer!

3.77/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz.

Pours opaque black, brown glow around the edges. Light tan lacing for a head.

Smells of cocoa, hazelnut, peanut butter, and brown sugar malts.

Tastes of toasted cocoa, peanut butter, hazelnut, and dry woody biscuit malt.

Medium to thin body with stinging carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

An interesting and tasty porter, could stand to have a bit more flavor and body. The aroma is quite attractive though. I'd say this one is worth trying and it gets points for innovation.

3.36/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance - Pours a deep, near black cola brown with a khaki colored half finger head. Sub-par retention results in a broken layer of suds across the surface. Little in the way of lacing; mostly small spots here and there.

Smell - Smell is simply fantastic. Smells like a Snickers or Nutrageous bar. Peanut Butter, Milk Chocolate and underlying caramel.

Taste - Does not follow the nose, unfortunately. Peanut / peanut butter character is predominant, but is met with a faint roastiness that binds in an odd, ill-fitting way. Seems to lack sweetness. Somewhat earthy. Finishes with a bit of dirt.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium in body with low carbonation. Kinda dead; not much going on here.

Overall - Disappointing after such a wonderful aroma. Seems to have been caught in the middle between being a dessert beer or being a legit porter, and came away with being a fair but forgettable brew in either category.

3.24/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Bottled 1/2/14

Very dark brown, not quite opaque black. Fairly vigorous pour and almost no head. Just a ring.

Spot on in the nose with unbelievable peanut butter and chocolate. Comparison to resees cups no doubt about it.

Taste follows right up with the peanut butter and milk chocolate. The nose is stronger than the taste. It has all the sweetness as the candy bar but doesn't carry the little saltiness. Not much else in this beer. Kind of a one trick pony. The initial taste fades pretty quickly further in to the glass. A hint of bitter aftertaste now.

The feel is where I really had some disappointment. Really thin and low carbonation. Almost watery. Just doesn't fit the aroma as I'm about to take another sip.

It is what they say it is. A peanut butter beer. But only the first half of the bottle. It really fades off fast and and the mouthfeel falls short of what I think should accompany such a beer. It is certainly something different though.

4.24/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark, red-brown mahogany hue, and clear. The head is medium-brown, but thin; it dissipates quickly, leaving hardly any lacing.

S: Dark roasted malt comes first, then... Peanut butter - and lots of it! There's faint milk chocolate as well, but peanut butter dominates. The aroma of Reece's Pieces comes to mind.

T: The malt is moderately sweet, with a little acrid flavor typical of darker beers. I definitely get the peanut butter flavor, but it's much subdued compared to the aroma (which is a good thing - this is supposed to be a beer, after all); there's also some bitter cocoa and even coffee notes as well. Hops are there to give the finish a mildly bitter flavor, which fades to bitter chocolate and burnt grain in the end.

M: A little thin and moist, but nicely carbonated. Very easy to drink.

O: OK, I admit I got this one for the unusual name and the fact that it contains peanut butter. It smells better than it tastes, but it still tastes good. I like that it's nicely balanced, not too much of any flavor, and still a beer first. Too unusual to be a session beer, but tasty and easy to drink nonetheless.

4.01/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Didn't plan on reviewing this until I opened the bottle and got that smell. Here we go. The pour is a dark brown, very thin, whatever small head there was went fast. Seems very carbonated and bubbly. The smell is huge in peanut butter, with chocolate in there, as well. It's smells great. Like a candy bar or dessert. Peanut butter upfront on the taste, not a lot of chocolate, though. A faint hint of bitter chocolate, and a little roastiness. It's very thin and carbonated, just how I expected it to be. There is a bitter aftertaste which isn't my favorite. Overall, a nice beer and a good change if you are looking for something new.

Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw Brewing Company