Sweet Baby Jesus | DuClaw Brewing Company

Sweet Baby JesusSweet Baby Jesus

DuClaw Brewing Company
Maryland, United States | website

Style: American Porter

First brewed in 2011, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is jet black in color with a tan, rocky head, full body and creamy, luxurious mouthfeel. Its lightly sweet, malty flavor is accented by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee and peanut butter, and balanced by a subtle hop character and moderate 6.5% abv. Sweet Baby Jesus finishes smooth, dry, and roasty with lingering notes of chocolate and peanut butter so savory, you will exclaim its name!

Added by MasterSki on 12-23-2012

Reviews: 362 | Ratings: 2,320
3.91/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle (no date) served in a snifter.

Appearance: Very black (more like a stout) letting no light through. Thin light tan ring of foam with some thick strands of persistent lacing.

Smell: Definite chocolate and peanut butter - a lot like a baked brownie in aroma with some sweet sugary notes and a solid backing of peanuts. There is a roasty quality under it all as well.

Taste: Quite sweet, but just short of cloying. Very much like a dark chocolate and peanut butter brownie/ cake, with some mild coffee notes. The finish is bitter and surprisingly dry.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, little bit thick, dry finish. Very much like a porter in mouthfeel.

Overall / Drinkability: Definitely a dessert beer. Scratch that - the beer is desert. You may be able to pair this with something else like ice cream or maybe a burger, but even then I'm not sure about that. I'm of two minds on this beer - the aroma is great and its a neat treat, and yet one I'm finding is more than enough with this beer - I'm not inclined to have more. It could be that because I had this after being already full from dinner that this is just too much, so I need to give it another try next time I find it, it for no other reason than to savor that amazing aroma. So a good beer, but maybe to extreme for me. I've had other dessert beers that I finished and wanted more - not this one though.

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep muddy brown, with a caramel colored head - good retention.

Smells of peanut butter, chocolate, and malt.

Taste is peanut butter followed by bitter chocolate rounded out with some faint coffee notes. It has an almost yeasty malt after taste. This is a solid Porter, but not great.

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is very cliquey, for lack of a better term. From what I have experience, few people think it's 'ok'; most of whom that (I know) have tried it either loved it or hated it. Personally, I love the chocolate aroma and taste. It is not very harsh whatsoever. In fact, the beer is somewhat a relief to my tongue as it has an abnormal sensitivity to carbonated drinks. Moreover, the flavour is strong. Though I will say I am biased; this is one of my favourite beers.

3.96/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is not for everyone. I think of it as a nice change of pace beer from the usual ipa I like. The chocolate/peanut butter is not overpowering but definitely makes it's presence felt.

3.87/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap 9/9/2014 at Doherty’s East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a tapered pint glass.

A: The beer is a dark golden brown color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains caramelized malts, Earthy hops and some citrus.

T: The taste likewise starts out with very strong flavors of peanut butter and chocolate that are quickly followed by a hearty roasted malt character. There are some back ground flavors of coffee and some smokiness. The hops presence is extremely mild as you would expect in a “dessert beer” such as this and there’s a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, good dessert-like representation of style, this is a nice beer to drink for a while if you’re looking for peanut butter/chocolate flavor.

4.18/5  rDev +11.5%

This is a very well rounded stout with distinct flavor of chocolate and peanut butter; side notes of toffee and french roast. Not overly complex and washes back clean feels lighter than most5 porters; refreshing as a flavored dark beer can be while still packing a punch @ 6.5 abv

3.55/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

A: [4.50] 2 full fingers of dense khaki head. The head sticks to the glass and leaves nice lacing. The beer itself looks dark brown. You can see through it with back lighting. The bottle lists the ABV (6.5%). There is a bottle date but it is smudged off.

S: [3.75] The nose is prominent. I get chocolate, peanuts and root beer.

T: [3.50] The taste does not follow the nose exactly. There is nice roasted malt up front and at the midpalate. Then really late there is a peanut butter finish. It is almost after the aftertaste.

M: [2.75] The carbonation is a little higher than expected for the style. Also I expected a slightly smoother mouthfeel.

O: [3.50] I was really excited when I saw this on the shelf. I guess I am a little let down. It is good - but not great. I have 5 more. I will share them with the world. I thought I might keep them all for myself. The taste and the body are just not up to where I thought they'd be.

3.95/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottled May 15th 2014. Purchased last October on a trip to Western Pennsylvania for its novel and amusing name and the fact that I have found one or two other DuClaw brews interesting. We do not get DuClaw in my state.

a: Black with clear ruby near the bottom. Finger thick tan head receded quickly to thin even surface foam and spotty lacing.

s; Milk chocolate and hazelnut with some strength.

t: Milk chocolate with hazelnut notes and a mild to moderate hop bite which lingers. Sweetish finish.

m: Light to medium, ok body, plenty of carbonation tingle.

o: Describes itself as a "Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter," but I taste hazelnut more than peanut butter, although it does leave a peanut butterlike aftertaste in the corners of the mouth. Pretty tasty with this unusual combination, especially if you like peanut butter. I do but not so much in my beer, or in cookies for that matter, but that's just me.

4.27/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Haw River Farmhouse Ales teku glass. Bottleneck says Bottled 12/30/14.

A- Pours a 99% opaque black color with a 1/2 inch tan head that retains well before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a half sheet of sheer surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves small clots behind.

S- Big hazelnut aroma that's very sweet with notes of milk chocolate and caramel and peanut oil. Basically smells like Nutella.

T- Flavor is more peanut heavy with less sweetness than the aroma. Slight bitterness with the dark roasted malt complementing the rest of the profile. More chocolate plus some vanilla.

M- Has the viscosity of your usual porter with medium carbonation and a fullish body.

O- As someone who enjoys a good dessert beer, this one does the job very well. Very easy drinking and is sure to satisfy a peanut butter lover's tastes.

2.87/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle in a nonic....at home
A - Dark brown, good thick head, some lacing
S - The aroma is definitely there, no searching...peanut butter
T - Sort of tastes like a bad off-brand peanut butter, secondary coffee and chocolate with a very mild non-lasting bitter
F - Average, moderate carbonation release
O - All my friends love this beer; had it twice so far, trying to give it a chance, but it just ain't doing it for me. I may give it a third try under dirrerent circumstances to see if I get a different impression. Thumbs down for now.

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Poured a dark brown, opaque color, with a two-finger light tan fluffy head that quickly dissipated to a thin film with some nice lacing
Smell: I thought I opened a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! Nice chocolate notes, with some earthy peanut aromas.
Taste: The taste didn't really come to the level of the aroma, the roasty malt flavors overpowered the light chocolate notes, and the peanut flavors seemed pretty subdued when compared to the smell.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel was thinner than I expected, but not dissapointing.
Overall: This beer was OK, I guess I was expecting more flavor after experiencing the smell. Good brew, but nothing out of this world.

4.43/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

To me it's a good porter. Flavors of roasted nuts and earthy notes backed by a light tone of cocoa fused with just the right amount of hops. The beer it selfs is not as thick as I thought it'd be. It didn't give me a full feeling and went down quite easy. Again another DuClaw beer I like...Now I'm hungry for a peanut butter cup lol

3.66/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Sweet Baby Jesus by DuClaw brewery is an ok beer. The smell is awesome, but the taste doesn't match. Some have called it a dessert beer. I think they must not eat dessert much. I wouldn't call it a dessert beer. A good porter though. Worth trying if that is what you are looking for.

3.94/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Black with some ruby highlights and crowned with a creamy, bubbly off-white head. Smells remarkably like a peanut butter cup...creamy dry peanut butter, cocoa, and a touch of berries. Flavor is a little more Porter-like, but the peanuts are still definitely there. Chocolaty sweetness, roasted nuts, black malt, and some earthy hop bitterness. Medium body with some creaminess, finishing dry. I could drink a few of these.

3.19/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - cola brown, 1/8 " head.

Smell - light chocolate, minimal dry roasted peanuts.

Taste - much the same as the nose. mild chocolate and faint dry roasted peanuts.

Chocolate and Peanut Butter is one of my favorite flavor combinations, and I would like to find a beer that is a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup in a beer as a dessert beer. This is an enjoyable beer, but the chocolate and the peanut flavor needs to be increased by a factor of 3. The peanut flavor is not really peanut butter so much as dry roasted peanuts. Mouth feel-wise, I would like the beer to be thicker and more creamy in texture. I would like to try this on draft to see if the chocolate and peanut flavors are more pronounced.

4.65/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A lot of one's opinion of this beer hinges on if one is a sweet tooth. I definitely am. Therefore, this beer really appeals to me. For a dessert beer, I have not had much better. The smell of this beer is near perfection. Taste of the chocolate and peanut butter is not far behind. Only gripe is the porter is a tad bit watery, would be better with a thicker, smoother stout feel. Also, you really could only take down one or two of this in a session. However, when it comes to dessert drinks, this is top notch.

2.47/5  rDev -34.1%

Little to no head- sweet synthetic chocolate scent. The peanut butter part is subtle. I'd recommend drinking this from the bottle to avoid smell. Still a good porter. Would advise to try

3.73/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Surprisingly good, especially for a strange combination of flavors. Not in the best tier of american porters, but a beer that everyone should try at least once.

4.76/5  rDev +26.9%

One of the 3 best beers I've ever had. I'm a chocolate stout fan first and foremost. When I smelled the PB i was a little nervous, but it turned out awesome. If you're up for something different it's great.

3.55/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle from Nick_Bousquet (thanks man!). No apparent bottling information. Served in a Cigar City teku.

Pours dark brown with almost two fingers of sandy froth. The head fades to a modest halo and leaves a few small patches of lace.

As advertised, peanut butter and cocoa fill the aroma. Just popping the cap I caught a strong whiff of Reeces.

The taste isn't terribly complex but there is some pretty authentic chocolate peanut butter flavor. An unfortunate metallic tang drifts in and out but this is still a tasty, easy drinking porter.

Fairly thin body with appropriately average carbonation. That slight metallic note creeps in to join the cocoa and peanutty finish.

Based on several failed attempts I've had over the years I think peanut butter must be a tough flavor for beer but Sweet Baby Jesus is one of the two that I'd say did it right. It may not be perfect but it's worth a try, particularly if you like peanut butter in your porter.

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a: a very dark black color that seems to suck the light out from around it. 1 finger fizzy tan head that seems to fade pretty quickly

s: i know its supposed to smell like chocolate and peanut butter. it smells like chocolate, but the peanut butter part doesn't quite smell like peanut butter 100% maybe just like crushed peanuts. also some toffee and brown sugar

t: welp. this taxes as close to a peanut butter cup as i'd expect a beer too. milk chocolate and peanuts. there is a pretty large malt sweetness in here as well, and it finishes with a faint bitterness from roasted malts

m: surprisingly light, that is also pretty highly carbonated - even though it does not have good head retention

m: its chocolate peanut butter. 'nuff said

4.88/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A couple of (alleged) 16 Oz pints at the Brew restaurant at Bellgrade.
If I could only drink one kind of beer it would be a porter.. Having said that I like my porters plain and simple: session beers - that's what porters used to be.
This stuff is different though.... the tasting notes on the clipboard gave a few hints: Reeses pieces, peanut butter... is this a beer or a candy bar ? Thing is, I hate peanut butter - can't stand the stuff. But, this is allegedly a porter, so....
Well, the first pint glass came with 3/4 " of head over what looked like a porter.
The tasting notes were close. There is an major note of bitter chocolate followed by a hint of roasted peanut kind of like a chocolate satay (?!) and it does feel like I'm drinking a porter despite the other stuff. The first one disappeared in short order to be followed by a second (just for confirmation, you understand)
If I hadn't been driving there would've been more. two pints of 6.5% is my limit.
But I will be back for more.....

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

App - Inky, dark brown with off white head and minimal effervescent.
Smell – Roasted malts, dark chocolate, peanut butter, hint of graham cracker.

Taste - Chocolate/cocoa forward, peanut butter, nice hoppy astringency that balances the sweet.

Mouthfeel – Light-medium body (somewhere between 1% and 2% milk), alcohol well disguised.

Overall: A novel beer, ideal for sipping but not sure I could drink more than one in a sitting. A little cloying

4.59/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft at Chovy’s, Meadville, PA, $6.75/alleged 16 oz
Aroma of bitter chocolate
Head removed by bartender – what’s left is light brown, creamy, diminishing to 4 mm ring and layer
Lacing excellent – nearly covers interior with tiny bubbles
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor begins with bitter chocolate and coffee; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetytl
Palate medium to full, creamy, lively carbonation

Appearance 4.25, Aroma 4.5, Flavor 4.75, Palate 4.5, Overall 4.5

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%

DATE TASTED: December 18, 2014... GLASSWARE: Guinness classic pint... OCCASION: a Blackish marathon... APPEARANCE: dark black body with creamy brown head that laces and traces well; head is steady throughout... AROMA: burnt toffee and what can only be described as scratch'n'sniff peanut butter; oats, chocolate and vanilla provide a balance of undertones... PALATE: rich, creamy and medium-bodied; slightly warming at 6.5% ABV; agreeable...TASTE: more peat than peanut; roasted malty goodness--a bit grainy and gritty, as a lunchbox brew should be... OVERALL: expectations were impossibly high here, and unfortunately, the beer could not meet them--but to be fair, its mild chocolate and peanut butter compliments the earthy mouthfeel, and a solid porter is worthy of being sought out...

Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw Brewing Company