Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

Sweet Baby JesusSweet Baby Jesus

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-23-2012)

NoProblem, May 16, 2014
3.86/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is one of those polarizing beers that you either love or you hate. It pours a dark, dark brown with minimal off-white head. It smells like chocolate and peanut butter and I'm digging it already. Taste is, SURPRISE! - peanut butter and chocolate. Medium bodied - it's basically fizzy Reeses pieces. This is an incredibly unique beer and I'm really digging it. If you can get past the fact that you're essentially drinking a liquid peanut butter cup, you'll probably dig it too - assuming you like peanut butter cups of course. Dessert beer.

Overall, while I wouldn't want to drink this on any kind of regular basis, it's very enjoyable when the mood persists. If this were slightly heavier bodied and frothier, it would be a phenomenal treat. Nitro tap please.

PhilDaBrewer, May 16, 2014

sebaastionb, May 11, 2014

ShowerBeers, May 11, 2014

EnthusedAboutBeer, May 11, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -6.4%

The smell of this beer is what really gets me. It's perfect. It's a Reese's peanut butter cup straight up your nose. The taste doesn't match it; but it could be that the smell is so good that the taste really disappoints.

I also wish this were a heavier beer. Feels a little thin. I like it a little more than I don't like it, though. And when I paired it with a teaspoon of peanut butter, a little bit of magic happened.

It's okay. Worth a shot.

jimmygord, May 09, 2014

Zuidman, May 09, 2014

HuntDaddy540, May 08, 2014
1.35/5  rDev -64.2%

This beer is another example of how people's taste buds must vary wildly, perhaps based on individual DNA. For me, the smell and the taste both made me slightly nauseated. While there WAS an odor of peanut butter and chocolate, I found it cloying. Right from that point, it was a bit of a struggle to take the first sip. With that first sip, and the few I took thereafter, my mouth involuntarily grimaced and my body actually briefly shivered.

I can only blame myself. I bought this bottle - just the one thankfully - because the name cracked me up. A friend who had tried it previously warned me - but I figured what the heck?

As I write this, the beer is sitting next to the keyboard looking all ominous. Of the 12 ounces, I think I have sipped through maybe 3. I can continue torturing myself by forcing myself to finish this to avoid the waste of the purchase price. Or I can pour it and just accept the loss. I just closed my eyes and inhaled from the glass once again, trying to be less biased. It smelled more of chocolate milk with a bit of peanut butter. But then opening my eyes and seeing this black ale again is making me feel vaguely sick.

Obviously, a fair number of reviewers LIKE this. So, like most beers, it has hit the mark for some folks. But I cannot finish it. I just can't. The only other beer I have had to pour in recent memory was some horrible chile beer from Mexico. Honestly, I find this beer to be at least as bad as that was, and I never thought I would ever react so negatively to another beer after I tried that one.

Kudos to the brewer, though, DuClaw makes some very fine brews! Normally, I really like "out of the box" experiments with beer styles and flavors. This one just didn't work for me.

And now, I must regretfully take this glass over to the kitchen sink....

Shade1951, May 07, 2014