Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

Sweet Baby JesusSweet Baby Jesus

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-23-2012)
1.35/5  rDev -64.3%

This beer is another example of how people's taste buds must vary wildly, perhaps based on individual DNA. For me, the smell and the taste both made me slightly nauseated. While there WAS an odor of peanut butter and chocolate, I found it cloying. Right from that point, it was a bit of a struggle to take the first sip. With that first sip, and the few I took thereafter, my mouth involuntarily grimaced and my body actually briefly shivered.

I can only blame myself. I bought this bottle - just the one thankfully - because the name cracked me up. A friend who had tried it previously warned me - but I figured what the heck?

As I write this, the beer is sitting next to the keyboard looking all ominous. Of the 12 ounces, I think I have sipped through maybe 3. I can continue torturing myself by forcing myself to finish this to avoid the waste of the purchase price. Or I can pour it and just accept the loss. I just closed my eyes and inhaled from the glass once again, trying to be less biased. It smelled more of chocolate milk with a bit of peanut butter. But then opening my eyes and seeing this black ale again is making me feel vaguely sick.

Obviously, a fair number of reviewers LIKE this. So, like most beers, it has hit the mark for some folks. But I cannot finish it. I just can't. The only other beer I have had to pour in recent memory was some horrible chile beer from Mexico. Honestly, I find this beer to be at least as bad as that was, and I never thought I would ever react so negatively to another beer after I tried that one.

Kudos to the brewer, though, DuClaw makes some very fine brews! Normally, I really like "out of the box" experiments with beer styles and flavors. This one just didn't work for me.

And now, I must regretfully take this glass over to the kitchen sink....

Shade1951, May 07, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -14%

PhillyFan76, May 07, 2014

Brew33, May 06, 2014

NYR2, May 06, 2014
4.96/5  rDev +31.2%

I first tried this beer at the Virginia Beach Craft Beer festival. As I walked up to the booth, I was thinking to myself "peanut-butter beer? How good can it really be?" Well as soon as I got my first sip of heaven I knew it could be that good.

There should be a rating of "dangerous" because this is a beer that I can either enjoy and casually sip on, or I could drink all day and all night and not even realize it. It's a bit of a heavy beer, with just a very slight taste of chocolate. To explain exactly how it tasted, it was like a stout, Nutella, and a bunch of Reese's pieces had an orgy and this cup of deliciousness was the orgasmic outcome.

The smell was of Reese's and Guinness, and it was just as smooth as the two of them, although it could have been a bit creamier than watery. I know I'm comparing a porter to stout but I'm still not sure what the damn difference is.

Regardless, this beer is absolutely a 5/5. The only thing bad is the aftertaste, but it's of peanuts. All in all it's still a win-win. At 6.5% ABV this is truly alcoholism in a bottle.

SpBreezyy, May 05, 2014

gueuzegossage, May 05, 2014
3.05/5  rDev -19.3%

This beer is very thin and somewhat watery. The smell is very weak. The mouthfeel is lacking. The taste is disappointing. When I read chocolate peanut butter porter, I am expecting chocolate and peanut butter. The chocolate and peanut butter taste is lacking. I would not drink this again. Maybe I had an old bottle. I bet it tastes great on tap.

mabermud, May 05, 2014
3.93/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Black with a fair amount of light coming through. Off white head quickly dissipates. Solid lacing.

S- Straight up Nutter-Butter. Milk chocolate and nutty roasted notes.

T- Interesting to say the least. Lots of roasted nuts, peanut butter, and sweet malts. Some artificial aspects, but not off putting.

M- A little thin for the style. Nice carbonation though.

O- one the better "flavored" beers I have had in a while. PB from the aroma to the flavor. It is a weird mix of flavors, but it all works for me.

Bosoxfan20, May 05, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

Beershack, May 04, 2014

mve102, May 04, 2014

GrantBrennan, May 04, 2014

jp312, May 03, 2014
2.2/5  rDev -41.8%

This gave me a new low in which to measure all other beers. WOW was this sour! not a "raspberry" sour, a "gone bad" sour. Yikes!! The reviews are all over the board, really good to (in my case) really bad. How can 1 beer be so different to so many people?

punxsybob, May 03, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

jayluf, May 03, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -53.7%

Yellolab2010, May 02, 2014

EFR94, May 02, 2014
2.01/5  rDev -46.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Poured bottle into glass. 6.5% abv

Appearance- Very dark, almost black. Two finger head that is chocolate milk brown in color.

Smell- An inviting combination of fresh milk chocolate with a big time aroma of peanut butter. Not unlike that of candy at all.

Taste- Actually quite bland. Taste does not translate from smell. Has a sourness quality about it as well. I can barely taste the chocolate or the peanut butter. Can someone say artificial? Wait, it says that on the front of the bottle.

Mouthfeel- Medium with low carbonation.

Overall- I actually could not finish this one which says a lot from me. Unable to swallow without making a face. As stated, there is a sourness and staleness in the taste. Try it if you were curious like I was but use caution. This bottle was not expired either.

PA-hunter, May 02, 2014

Boski, May 02, 2014
3.89/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass

Black body with a pancakes on the griddle type head.

strong smell of chocolate and peanut butter.

Taste as smells, with a good dash of sweey roasted malt.

Mouth is slightly on the thin side, overall, a good porter /stout.

MikeWard, May 01, 2014