Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-23-2012

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

4.44/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Not the first time I've had this. This is one of the beers that got my excited about craft beer.

Look: Black, but with very dark tint of red when held to the light. Very light tan colored head. Starts to slowly dissipate.

Smell: Man oh man, the smell might be the best part. Like snuffing your nose into a jar of Jif. The chocolate is there, but the peanut butter is dominate. Almost salty, like a sweet and salty granola bar!

Taste: Identical, in every way, to the smell.

Feel: Very creamy and smooth.

Overall: What's strange is, I was never a really big chocolate/peanut butter fan until I drank not only this, but Big Gruesome. Then anytime I had a brownie or any chocolate dessert, I added a dollop of peanut butter. I want to say I prefer Big Gruesome over this, which I have also reviewed, but I'd really have to try them back to back.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

3.74/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

peanut butter is a gnarly ingredient in beer. i mean, brilliant, but when do you add it? i can't see it working in a mash, maybe in a bright tank, but wouldn't it all congeal all weird in the cold and not impart much flavor? if it was added hot, wouldn't it melt and make a greasy beer with no ability to hold a head? lots of questions, and this beer doesn't answer a single one, but i like it for trying. i think my problem with this one is the base beer, not a real robust or full enough bodied porter for the flavors its trying to support. nutty not the nose, more peanuts than peanut butter per se, which I'm fine with, and a cocoa finish. bitter malt and maybe a little over hopped in the taste, but i like the integration of the peanut flavor. more chocolate would help this i think, as would m,pre body on the base beer, but the level of roast is nice and works with the nut complex, and the carbonation is there. seems like it was fermented a little too arm or something, i get a slight staleness to the yeast, but other than that, i enjoyed this quite a lot. could use a few tweaks, but a very cool use of a tricky and perplexing ingredient.

4.49/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

After the sample from the bartender, I had to think about this one a while. But for the next 10 minutes, all I could think about was the wonderful aroma of sweet nuts (maybe a bit like almonds, though peanut was there too) and the sweet chocolate flavor.

I went back and got a full pint, and I was not disappointed. This Porter was plenty sweet enough, though a few reviews said otherwise.
The only distraction was the feel, which was very nice but could be described almost oily - but hey, we are talking about peanuts here.
There was just enough carbonation (I am not a big fan) to improve the mouth feel, and I drank this beer much faster than most!

I TALKED ABOUT THIS CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER PORTER MOST OF THE NEXT DAY!
Can't wait to get back to Maryland!!!

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

4.17/5  rDev +10%

My oh my! De-li-sh!!
The sweet fragant aroma of chocolate and peanut butter emits from the glass ever so sweetly. Your nose tries to warn your mouth of whats to come.. but the smell is just the beginning. As you begin the taste Sweet Baby Jesus unleashes it's decadent power. Not an overly powerful mouth feel, making this nectar perfect to devour, alone..w/ ice cream..perhaps over some bananas foster..what?!?! Yup.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%