Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-23-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweet Baby Jesus Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,926 | Reviews: 328
4.46/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Much better from tap than bottle! Excellent dessert beer. Thick, rich, and sweet, with a strong peanut butter and chocolate aftertaste.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottled May 15th 2014. Purchased last October on a trip to Western Pennsylvania for its novel and amusing name and the fact that I have found one or two other DuClaw brews interesting. We do not get DuClaw in my state.

a: Black with clear ruby near the bottom. Finger thick tan head receded quickly to thin even surface foam and spotty lacing.

s; Milk chocolate and hazelnut with some strength.

t: Milk chocolate with hazelnut notes and a mild to moderate hop bite which lingers. Sweetish finish.

m: Light to medium, ok body, plenty of carbonation tingle.

o: Describes itself as a "Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter," but I taste hazelnut more than peanut butter, although it does leave a peanut butterlike aftertaste in the corners of the mouth. Pretty tasty with this unusual combination, especially if you like peanut butter. I do but not so much in my beer, or in cookies for that matter, but that's just me.

4.27/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Haw River Farmhouse Ales teku glass. Bottleneck says Bottled 12/30/14.

A- Pours a 99% opaque black color with a 1/2 inch tan head that retains well before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a half sheet of sheer surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves small clots behind.

S- Big hazelnut aroma that's very sweet with notes of milk chocolate and caramel and peanut oil. Basically smells like Nutella.

T- Flavor is more peanut heavy with less sweetness than the aroma. Slight bitterness with the dark roasted malt complementing the rest of the profile. More chocolate plus some vanilla.

M- Has the viscosity of your usual porter with medium carbonation and a fullish body.

O- As someone who enjoys a good dessert beer, this one does the job very well. Very easy drinking and is sure to satisfy a peanut butter lover's tastes.

2.87/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle in a nonic....at home
A - Dark brown, good thick head, some lacing
S - The aroma is definitely there, no searching...peanut butter
T - Sort of tastes like a bad off-brand peanut butter, secondary coffee and chocolate with a very mild non-lasting bitter
F - Average, moderate carbonation release
O - All my friends love this beer; had it twice so far, trying to give it a chance, but it just ain't doing it for me. I may give it a third try under dirrerent circumstances to see if I get a different impression. Thumbs down for now.

4.74/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If you have a piece of dark chocolate cake and this porter you might want to be left alone.

4.84/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Sweet baby yes yes yes. Very subtle peanut butter presence for a rockin porter.

4.68/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Has just the right amount of chocolate and peanut butter for a flavor beer, without overpowering the porter completely.

3.8/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Poured a dark brown, opaque color, with a two-finger light tan fluffy head that quickly dissipated to a thin film with some nice lacing
Smell: I thought I opened a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! Nice chocolate notes, with some earthy peanut aromas.
Taste: The taste didn't really come to the level of the aroma, the roasty malt flavors overpowered the light chocolate notes, and the peanut flavors seemed pretty subdued when compared to the smell.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel was thinner than I expected, but not dissapointing.
Overall: This beer was OK, I guess I was expecting more flavor after experiencing the smell. Good brew, but nothing out of this world.

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

To me it's a good porter. Flavors of roasted nuts and earthy notes backed by a light tone of cocoa fused with just the right amount of hops. The beer it selfs is not as thick as I thought it'd be. It didn't give me a full feeling and went down quite easy. Again another DuClaw beer I like...Now I'm hungry for a peanut butter cup lol

3.66/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Sweet Baby Jesus by DuClaw brewery is an ok beer. The smell is awesome, but the taste doesn't match. Some have called it a dessert beer. I think they must not eat dessert much. I wouldn't call it a dessert beer. A good porter though. Worth trying if that is what you are looking for.

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Black with some ruby highlights and crowned with a creamy, bubbly off-white head. Smells remarkably like a peanut butter cup...creamy dry peanut butter, cocoa, and a touch of berries. Flavor is a little more Porter-like, but the peanuts are still definitely there. Chocolaty sweetness, roasted nuts, black malt, and some earthy hop bitterness. Medium body with some creaminess, finishing dry. I could drink a few of these.

3.19/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - cola brown, 1/8 " head.

Smell - light chocolate, minimal dry roasted peanuts.

Taste - much the same as the nose. mild chocolate and faint dry roasted peanuts.

Chocolate and Peanut Butter is one of my favorite flavor combinations, and I would like to find a beer that is a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup in a beer as a dessert beer. This is an enjoyable beer, but the chocolate and the peanut flavor needs to be increased by a factor of 3. The peanut flavor is not really peanut butter so much as dry roasted peanuts. Mouth feel-wise, I would like the beer to be thicker and more creamy in texture. I would like to try this on draft to see if the chocolate and peanut flavors are more pronounced.

4.65/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A lot of one's opinion of this beer hinges on if one is a sweet tooth. I definitely am. Therefore, this beer really appeals to me. For a dessert beer, I have not had much better. The smell of this beer is near perfection. Taste of the chocolate and peanut butter is not far behind. Only gripe is the porter is a tad bit watery, would be better with a thicker, smoother stout feel. Also, you really could only take down one or two of this in a session. However, when it comes to dessert drinks, this is top notch.

2.47/5  rDev -35%

Little to no head- sweet synthetic chocolate scent. The peanut butter part is subtle. I'd recommend drinking this from the bottle to avoid smell. Still a good porter. Would advise to try

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Surprisingly good, especially for a strange combination of flavors. Not in the best tier of american porters, but a beer that everyone should try at least once.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

I actually think the bottled tastes better than the draft. I find it more distinctive. And I am heavily biased toward draft beer.

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Too sweet for my taste

2.74/5  rDev -27.9%

This beer started off good with the looks but then everything else was down hill borderline Drain pour

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Just not a peanut taste in my beer fan, but the aroma is amazing. I feel like a should keep a bottle and use as cologne.

4.76/5  rDev +25.3%

One of the 3 best beers I've ever had. I'm a chocolate stout fan first and foremost. When I smelled the PB i was a little nervous, but it turned out awesome. If you're up for something different it's great.

3.55/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle from Nick_Bousquet (thanks man!). No apparent bottling information. Served in a Cigar City teku.

Pours dark brown with almost two fingers of sandy froth. The head fades to a modest halo and leaves a few small patches of lace.

As advertised, peanut butter and cocoa fill the aroma. Just popping the cap I caught a strong whiff of Reeces.

The taste isn't terribly complex but there is some pretty authentic chocolate peanut butter flavor. An unfortunate metallic tang drifts in and out but this is still a tasty, easy drinking porter.

Fairly thin body with appropriately average carbonation. That slight metallic note creeps in to join the cocoa and peanutty finish.

Based on several failed attempts I've had over the years I think peanut butter must be a tough flavor for beer but Sweet Baby Jesus is one of the two that I'd say did it right. It may not be perfect but it's worth a try, particularly if you like peanut butter in your porter.

4.72/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overall a great tasting beer. More light of a mouth feel than I wanted. The chocolate and peanut butter really come through.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Not traditional in any sense, but I love peanut butter and love the way it was incorporated in this beer. A rare adjunct to be handled well!

4.31/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Not as much peanut butter taste as the Resurgence Peanut Butter Porter, but still a solid choice

3.12/5  rDev -17.9%

Was hoping for more of a peanut butter taste. I can taste Malt and a hint of chocolate to the nose. Still a wonderful porter that I'd drink again.

Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw Brewing Company