Sweet Baby Jesus - DuClaw Brewing Company

Maryland, United States

American Porter |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 12-23-2012

3.61/5  rDev -4.7%

The smell of this beer is what really gets me. It's perfect. It's a Reese's peanut butter cup straight up your nose. The taste doesn't match it; but it could be that the smell is so good that the taste really disappoints.

I also wish this were a heavier beer. Feels a little thin. I like it a little more than I don't like it, though. And when I paired it with a teaspoon of peanut butter, a little bit of magic happened.

It's okay. Worth a shot.

1.4/5  rDev -63.1%

This beer is another example of how people's taste buds must vary wildly, perhaps based on individual DNA. For me, the smell and the taste both made me slightly nauseated. While there WAS an odor of peanut butter and chocolate, I found it cloying. Right from that point, it was a bit of a struggle to take the first sip. With that first sip, and the few I took thereafter, my mouth involuntarily grimaced and my body actually briefly shivered.

I can only blame myself. I bought this bottle - just the one thankfully - because the name cracked me up. A friend who had tried it previously warned me - but I figured what the heck?

As I write this, the beer is sitting next to the keyboard looking all ominous. Of the 12 ounces, I think I have sipped through maybe 3. I can continue torturing myself by forcing myself to finish this to avoid the waste of the purchase price. Or I can pour it and just accept the loss. I just closed my eyes and inhaled from the glass once again, trying to be less biased. It smelled more of chocolate milk with a bit of peanut butter. But then opening my eyes and seeing this black ale again is making me feel vaguely sick.

Obviously, a fair number of reviewers LIKE this. So, like most beers, it has hit the mark for some folks. But I cannot finish it. I just can't. The only other beer I have had to pour in recent memory was some horrible chile beer from Mexico. Honestly, I find this beer to be at least as bad as that was, and I never thought I would ever react so negatively to another beer after I tried that one.

Kudos to the brewer, though, DuClaw makes some very fine brews! Normally, I really like "out of the box" experiments with beer styles and flavors. This one just didn't work for me.

And now, I must regretfully take this glass over to the kitchen sink....

4.96/5  rDev +30.9%

I first tried this beer at the Virginia Beach Craft Beer festival. As I walked up to the booth, I was thinking to myself "peanut-butter beer? How good can it really be?" Well as soon as I got my first sip of heaven I knew it could be that good.

There should be a rating of "dangerous" because this is a beer that I can either enjoy and casually sip on, or I could drink all day and all night and not even realize it. It's a bit of a heavy beer, with just a very slight taste of chocolate. To explain exactly how it tasted, it was like a stout, Nutella, and a bunch of Reese's pieces had an orgy and this cup of deliciousness was the orgasmic outcome.

The smell was of Reese's and Guinness, and it was just as smooth as the two of them, although it could have been a bit creamier than watery. I know I'm comparing a porter to stout but I'm still not sure what the damn difference is.

Regardless, this beer is absolutely a 5/5. The only thing bad is the aftertaste, but it's of peanuts. All in all it's still a win-win. At 6.5% ABV this is truly alcoholism in a bottle.

3.06/5  rDev -19.3%

This beer is very thin and somewhat watery. The smell is very weak. The mouthfeel is lacking. The taste is disappointing. When I read chocolate peanut butter porter, I am expecting chocolate and peanut butter. The chocolate and peanut butter taste is lacking. I would not drink this again. Maybe I had an old bottle. I bet it tastes great on tap.

3.96/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Black with a fair amount of light coming through. Off white head quickly dissipates. Solid lacing.

S- Straight up Nutter-Butter. Milk chocolate and nutty roasted notes.

T- Interesting to say the least. Lots of roasted nuts, peanut butter, and sweet malts. Some artificial aspects, but not off putting.

M- A little thin for the style. Nice carbonation though.

O- one the better "flavored" beers I have had in a while. PB from the aroma to the flavor. It is a weird mix of flavors, but it all works for me.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%