Oz Fractional IPA - DuClaw Brewing Company

Oz Fractional IPAOz Fractional IPA

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

Uses Simcoe and Citra hops.

(Beer added by: gillagorilla on 05-14-2013)

2.63/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77. Here is another one that came to me without an existing pic and I had to await approval before proceeding. The backlog is not entirely my fault.

From the bottle: "More sorcery than science, our Fractional IPA achieves the impossible: combining a dazzling blend of Simcoe and Citra hops, a crisp, clean body, and dry, refreshing finish into an astoundingly drinkable beer. It's no illusion, just ... #FollowTheYellowBrickRoad"; "Respect_the_Fluid"; "Craft Be Cherished. Rules Be Damned."

I assume from the ABV that this is supposed to be one of those "Session IPAs". I took out my anger and frustration at this travesty by letting it fly from the bottle into the glass. Boom! Pseudo-cascade and then two dense, puffy fingers of bone-white head with good retention. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy pale yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose had a barnyard-like hay smell that I have been noticing in a lot of these new low-ABV AIPAs. There was also a lemony citrus odor, but hay was what jumped out. Mouthfeel was kind of thin. Great sticky lacing began to line the glass as I drank. I was underwhelmed by the grapefruit citrus taste due to its muted state. I keep thinking that this must have been what drinkers of AALs felt like when light beers began hitting the market. Miller is taking great pride in the anniversary of the release of Miller Lite this year, but I would not be proud of a sessionable AIPA. The finish was dry, airy, I could have been drinking cotton. Bah.

3.75/5  rDev +14%

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

4.5/5  rDev +36.8%

Snagged a bottle for about $2.50. Into a pint glass.
A - Very clear yellow bright but hazy in color. Decent head just a 1/4 inch but has a lace ring throughout.
S - Has a slight hop profile very faint but its there. Malts and hidden and seems average.
T - Taste is Just OK sure it has some hop taste but nowhere interesting and sure its light but I would rather slam a high volume DIPA with more flavor. Pity.
M - Light to medium but way too light to drink. Why did I buy this?

Overall its pretty on Par with session IPA's. Not sure why I buy them they are always just above average.

2.88/5  rDev -12.5%

I am a fan of the Duclaw Brewing Company, but this 4.4% ABV offer was not anything special. It didn't taste much different than the "macro-brew Big 3" commercial offers. I was disappointed because I expected more than an Anheuser-Busch tasting product from DuClaw.

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

3.48/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured chilled in ribbed ale glass

A: light straw, very carbonated; thin-to-nonexistent head (as advertised)
S: grass, pungent earth, a bit of stink
T: flavorful in the hop profile; obviously the malt is low, and it feels quite light, sessionable; a bit of seltzer taste
M: very buzzy (the carbonation is in the mouthfeel, completely)

Not bad; a good sessionable pale ale

3.56/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I poured this beer into a glass, it has a golden color body body, with a sticky white head that disappears quickly. The smell of it has a grass, piney aroma to it. The taste is the same way, has a piney, grassey taste with a bitterness on the finish. The mouthfeel is smooth and overall is a good ipa.

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%