Oz Fractional IPA - DuClaw Brewing Company

Oz Fractional IPAOz Fractional IPA

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

Uses Simcoe and Citra hops.

(Beer added by: gillagorilla on 05-14-2013)
Reviews by CurtFromHershey:

2.03/5  rDev -38.3%

On tap at Max's Taphouse (from notes). I will be honest that I wasn't sure what to call the beer due to their use of fractional, as in Oz Fractional IPA. Also, I had the MOSA cask version, which has orange zest in it (the cask).

A: Translucent, golden yellow looks like a standard BMC macro. There is a half a finger head that lingers that is quite stable and lingers for a while.

S: Very light and floral, with no pine notes at all. It is all citrus, like a freshly peeled grapefruit.

T: It tastes like the mesocarp (white fleshy part between the fruit and skin of a citrus fruit) of a grapefruit. It has the zest bitterness of that combined with a very minimal hop bitterness. Actually, it is quite unique with the flavor addition from the zests. Very watery, but that might be from the cask. The zest brings out the citrus but that is it. Flavor is very faint.

M: Goes down like water. No carbonation and no bubbles whatsoever. No coarseness. Absolutely smooth all around. The smoothest beer I have ever had.

O: I am not a fan of this at all, but it is definitely sessionable and my first low ABV IPA (I think). The bitterness of the zest in it is interesting, but it is watery and almost undrinkable to me. I returned it to the bartender about half way through my pint.

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Snagged a bottle for about $2.50. Into a pint glass.
A - Very clear yellow bright but hazy in color. Decent head just a 1/4 inch but has a lace ring throughout.
S - Has a slight hop profile very faint but its there. Malts and hidden and seems average.
T - Taste is Just OK sure it has some hop taste but nowhere interesting and sure its light but I would rather slam a high volume DIPA with more flavor. Pity.
M - Light to medium but way too light to drink. Why did I buy this?

Overall its pretty on Par with session IPA's. Not sure why I buy them they are always just above average.

3.75/5  rDev +14%

3.84/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a stemless wine glass. Bottle date 5/2/13, so it's 18 days old.

A- pours yellow with a one finger white head that quickly dissipates to a thin layer. The beer is nice and transparent with a constant stream of bubble streaming from the bottom.

S- WELP, THERE'S THE CITRA. An absolute smash of citrus in the face like you'd expect from those hops. Slight bit of cat piss seeping through from the simcoe as well, but this smells heavenly overall

T- lots of citrus up front, but the finish is quite bitter...I know people love bitter IPAs, but this is a bit much because it's not overly balanced either.

M- medium bodied, but the body is a bit thicker than I expected given the ABV

O- I'm conflicted. For a session IPA, it's great, and the cost is fine in comparison to the other options on the market. But honestly, it's not that great comparing it to other IPAs in the same price range. Call it a wash. If you want a session IPA, this isn't a bad choice, but if ABV isn't a factor, there are better things you can go with for the same cost

2.63/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77. Here is another one that came to me without an existing pic and I had to await approval before proceeding. The backlog is not entirely my fault.

From the bottle: "More sorcery than science, our Fractional IPA achieves the impossible: combining a dazzling blend of Simcoe and Citra hops, a crisp, clean body, and dry, refreshing finish into an astoundingly drinkable beer. It's no illusion, just ... #FollowTheYellowBrickRoad"; "Respect_the_Fluid"; "Craft Be Cherished. Rules Be Damned."

I assume from the ABV that this is supposed to be one of those "Session IPAs". I took out my anger and frustration at this travesty by letting it fly from the bottle into the glass. Boom! Pseudo-cascade and then two dense, puffy fingers of bone-white head with good retention. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy pale yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose had a barnyard-like hay smell that I have been noticing in a lot of these new low-ABV AIPAs. There was also a lemony citrus odor, but hay was what jumped out. Mouthfeel was kind of thin. Great sticky lacing began to line the glass as I drank. I was underwhelmed by the grapefruit citrus taste due to its muted state. I keep thinking that this must have been what drinkers of AALs felt like when light beers began hitting the market. Miller is taking great pride in the anniversary of the release of Miller Lite this year, but I would not be proud of a sessionable AIPA. The finish was dry, airy, I could have been drinking cotton. Bah.

2.5/5  rDev -24%