Oz Fractional IPA - DuClaw Brewing Company

Oz Fractional IPAOz Fractional IPA

DuClaw Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

Beer added by: gillagorilla on 05-14-2013

Uses Simcoe and Citra hops.
to view more.
Ratings: 72 | Reviews: 12
Reviews by sandymj:
2.1/5  rDev -36.4%

On tap at Max's Taphouse (from notes). I will be honest that I wasn't sure what to call the beer due to their use of fractional, as in Oz Fractional IPA. Also, I had the MOSA cask version, which has orange zest in it (the cask).

A: Translucent, golden yellow looks like a standard BMC macro. There is a half a finger head that lingers that is quite stable and lingers for a while.

S: Very light and floral, with no pine notes at all. It is all citrus, like a freshly peeled grapefruit.

T: It tastes like the mesocarp (white fleshy part between the fruit and skin of a citrus fruit) of a grapefruit. It has the zest bitterness of that combined with a very minimal hop bitterness. Actually, it is quite unique with the flavor addition from the zests. Very watery, but that might be from the cask. The zest brings out the citrus but that is it. Flavor is very faint.

M: Goes down like water. No carbonation and no bubbles whatsoever. No coarseness. Absolutely smooth all around. The smoothest beer I have ever had.

O: I am not a fan of this at all, but it is definitely sessionable and my first low ABV IPA (I think). The bitterness of the zest in it is interesting, but it is watery and almost undrinkable to me. I returned it to the bartender about half way through my pint.

Snagged a bottle for about $2.50. Into a pint glass.
A - Very clear yellow bright but hazy in color. Decent head just a 1/4 inch but has a lace ring throughout.
S - Has a slight hop profile very faint but its there. Malts and hidden and seems average.
T - Taste is Just OK sure it has some hop taste but nowhere interesting and sure its light but I would rather slam a high volume DIPA with more flavor. Pity.
M - Light to medium but way too light to drink. Why did I buy this?

Overall its pretty on Par with session IPA's. Not sure why I buy them they are always just above average.

3.89/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a stemless wine glass. Bottle date 5/2/13, so it's 18 days old.

A- pours yellow with a one finger white head that quickly dissipates to a thin layer. The beer is nice and transparent with a constant stream of bubble streaming from the bottom.

S- WELP, THERE'S THE CITRA. An absolute smash of citrus in the face like you'd expect from those hops. Slight bit of cat piss seeping through from the simcoe as well, but this smells heavenly overall

T- lots of citrus up front, but the finish is quite bitter...I know people love bitter IPAs, but this is a bit much because it's not overly balanced either.

M- medium bodied, but the body is a bit thicker than I expected given the ABV

O- I'm conflicted. For a session IPA, it's great, and the cost is fine in comparison to the other options on the market. But honestly, it's not that great comparing it to other IPAs in the same price range. Call it a wash. If you want a session IPA, this isn't a bad choice, but if ABV isn't a factor, there are better things you can go with for the same cost

2.64/5  rDev -20%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77. Here is another one that came to me without an existing pic and I had to await approval before proceeding. The backlog is not entirely my fault.

From the bottle: "More sorcery than science, our Fractional IPA achieves the impossible: combining a dazzling blend of Simcoe and Citra hops, a crisp, clean body, and dry, refreshing finish into an astoundingly drinkable beer. It's no illusion, just ... #FollowTheYellowBrickRoad"; "Respect_the_Fluid"; "Craft Be Cherished. Rules Be Damned."

I assume from the ABV that this is supposed to be one of those "Session IPAs". I took out my anger and frustration at this travesty by letting it fly from the bottle into the glass. Boom! Pseudo-cascade and then two dense, puffy fingers of bone-white head with good retention. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy pale yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose had a barnyard-like hay smell that I have been noticing in a lot of these new low-ABV AIPAs. There was also a lemony citrus odor, but hay was what jumped out. Mouthfeel was kind of thin. Great sticky lacing began to line the glass as I drank. I was underwhelmed by the grapefruit citrus taste due to its muted state. I keep thinking that this must have been what drinkers of AALs felt like when light beers began hitting the market. Miller is taking great pride in the anniversary of the release of Miller Lite this year, but I would not be proud of a sessionable AIPA. The finish was dry, airy, I could have been drinking cotton. Bah.

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

This was a nice low ABA (4,4%) session beer, that I might get again in a pinch. It was not very hoppy or floral but rather “sharp” tasting. Not very memorable but not a bad beer. All in all about what I expect from DuClaw (competent, but not exiting)

3.31/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Oz is a mystical wizard of an ipa. Fractional as the label says, it pours with a fraction of a head which dissipates quickly. It smells lightly of hops and a bit of grassiness. Taste follows suit with light grassy hopes and a barely there malt backbone. I was hoping for more, but alas was let down. An OK attempt at the popular session ipa, but doesn't hold a candle to lagunitas all day ipa.

3.67/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours golden straw yellow with perfect clarity and a solid head of white foam that fell pretty slowly to a cap and collar. Good sticky lacing. What a pretty beer. Nose is sharp citrus. First beer I have noticed that wasn’t too catty with the simcoe hops so I’m excited already. Some tropical fruit, mango and some grapefruit. Sweet orange rind. A bit of soap. Grainy malt presence underneath with light bread and just a hint of caramel. It promises some resin on the nose. Taste is really excellent. It’s all that fruit plus some oil to coat the tongue and a good bitter to last as it finishes dry with good bread in back. The malt sweetens up nicely on the nose as it warms and it’s full in the glass. This beer is exceptionally dry for such a low abv. The fruits are not pithy just a touch sweet and the bitter is long lasting on the back palate.

The flavor of this beer is outstanding. Really intense for the low alcohol. For a nice change, the combination of sweet tropical fruit and big, fat malt is not sugary. Carbonation is ample but doesn’t create a coarse mouthfeel and this goes down quenching and refreshing. The body is a little thicker than most low alcohol beers which adds to the enjoyment as you feel you are drinking something weighty and not watery but it stays light overall. Very well done.

3.57/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I poured this beer into a glass, it has a golden color body body, with a sticky white head that disappears quickly. The smell of it has a grass, piney aroma to it. The taste is the same way, has a piney, grassey taste with a bitterness on the finish. The mouthfeel is smooth and overall is a good ipa.

2.86/5  rDev -13.3%

I am a fan of the Duclaw Brewing Company, but this 4.4% ABV offer was not anything special. It didn't taste much different than the "macro-brew Big 3" commercial offers. I was disappointed because I expected more than an Anheuser-Busch tasting product from DuClaw.

2.72/5  rDev -17.6%

12 oz bottle into a normal glass.

A: Pours a pale straw color with excellent clarity. There's lots of fluffy head here, about three fingers high, with a white shade. It fades away at a rate quicker than I'd expect from a low ABV brew. The lacing, however, is phenomenal.

S: This has...well, not exactly a wallop of Citra and Simcoe...but the hops are certainly noticeable. They provide notes of mango, papaya, grapefruit, lemon, and some cattiness. Maltiness is nonexistent - as it should be in a low-ABV IPA.

T: At first, I get subtle touches of mango, grapefruit, lemon, and OH SHIT BACK END IS SOAPY AS HELL. Best thing I can say here is that the soap/ammonia qualities calm down some as more is sipped. Still, it utterly destroys what should have been a quality brew.

M: On the plus side, DuClaw got the body right: it's light and crisp, not really watery, without obnoxious carbonation. If only the flavor didn't suck...if only...

O: This makes me sad, because it SHOULD have been a winner. A low-ABV IPA (a style I'm starting to fall in love with) brewed with Citra and Simcoe (two hop strains I really enjoy) made by a local brewer (meaning I can get it readily and freshly), how could this bomb? Well, bomb it did, due to how hilariously soapy the hops come across - it's almost as if I took a swig of dishwater. It could be good with a few tweaks, but in its current state, it should be skipped.

3.46/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured chilled in ribbed ale glass

A: light straw, very carbonated; thin-to-nonexistent head (as advertised)
S: grass, pungent earth, a bit of stink
T: flavorful in the hop profile; obviously the malt is low, and it feels quite light, sessionable; a bit of seltzer taste
M: very buzzy (the carbonation is in the mouthfeel, completely)

Not bad; a good sessionable pale ale

3.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A- Crystal clear pale straw colored body. Lots of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Big foamy off-white head that hangs around and leaves some lacing.

S- Lots of floral and piney hops. Slight hint of tropical mango and pineapple as well.

T- Lots of sweet malty flavors mixed in with some of the floral hops. Really not IPA-like at all. Somewhat bready flavor like a lager yeast is present along with a slight metallic taste. Not awful, but not great either.

M- Very light bodied with a somewhat sticky feel. Medium carbonation and very drinkable with a slight metallic aftertaste.

O- I had high hopes for this one since I enjoyed Founders All-Day IPA and Lagunitas Daytime. This one is nowhere near as good as those options.

to view more.