Pre-Prohibition Style Lager - Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.

Pre-Prohibition Style LagerPre-Prohibition Style Lager

Lucky Bucket Brewing Co. visit their website
Nebraska, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.50% ABV

Pre-Prohibition style salutes a time when lagers had greater character and more distinct flavor, when beer wasn't full of the additives found in many of today's mainstream lagers. Lucky Bucket's version has a light, malty flavor that's easy on the palate. Filtered twice, the subtle maltiness nicely balances a floral hop. Dry-hopped with a fresh blend of aromatic West Coast hops, Lucky Bucket Lager is a great session beer with an ABV of 4.5% and 20 IBU's.

(Beer added by: kernel on 08-22-2009)

APB, Jul 01, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -16.4%

Rdc67, May 22, 2013

BGCoon, Jul 03, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +14%

mkh895, Sep 16, 2012
4.07/5  rDev +23.7%

Picked this one up for a future trade, so I thought I'd do a review on it. I've been really impressed with lucky bucket in the past.

Serving style : Stubbie bottle poured into Miller Lite 16 oz glass.

Appearance (3.75) : A hard, center-focused pour yields a stable 2 finger head with tightly knit bubbles. The body is honey-copper colored and sits at about 30% opacity. Lacing can be seen leaving rings and webs as the diminutive head recedes.

Aroma (4) : Lovely malt and barley, with some distant hops. It hits all the right platforms. Wheat, barley, with a distant cry of grapefruit hop. Just enough to be enticing but not overwhelming in a lager of this stature. I like it already. Bouquet is soft to medium strength.

Taste (4.25) : Eye-popping good... wow. The malt and hop come together absolutely perfect, with a duo punch of flavor right to the palate. This is better than "okay". A freaking 76 overall? This beer deserves much better.

More subjectively... your tongue is hit first with a buzz of exciting carbonation, and then wheat and malt character comes in, with a backbone of fruity hop. If I was going to brew a lager, especially a pre-prohibition type lager, this is how I would do it. Right here.

Mouthfeel (3.75) : Creamy, smooth, with just the right dash of zip. It ends with a barley dryness that is pleasurable.

Overall (4.07) : Can Lucky Bucket do no wrong? I'm starting to believe it. I'm still amazed these guys have such "mediocre" ratings overall... I've been drinking beer for awhile and their brews are some of the best I've had - period. This is most certainly the best pre-pro lager I've had, by a mile. You owe it to yourself to check this out.

The-Adjunct-Hippie, Oct 13, 2014

pisomojado8, Nov 25, 2011

Miami66, Mar 08, 2014

ScorpyX, Dec 27, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +29.2%

JuniperJesus, Nov 03, 2012

Tnkemist, Jun 15, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: translucent, goldish brown, no head (tap)

Smell: hops and some malt. Pretty straightforward.

Taste:heavier than a traditional American lager, but still easy drinking. A little grainy, a little hoppy, a nice of balance of not too intense flavors

Mouthfeel: light, smooth

Drinkability:See mouthfeel & taste. A great, straightforward brew for drinking on a summer day.

lawlerj, Apr 03, 2011

4.49/5  rDev +36.5%

bmoraymond, Sep 25, 2014
3.55/5  rDev +7.9%

Lucky Bucket Lager
I had never heard of this beer. A co-worker gave me this sample which was give to him from the brewer. (cousin)

Great label.
Looks like an amber. A little cloudy.
Near perfect head and settling foam.
Smell is clean, with a touch of graininess.
The first sip catches my by surprise. I didn't expect this much flavor. The hops are prominent and delicious.
This beer finishes clean and quick. Good drinkablity.

Gump, Jan 23, 2011

GoodOmens1986, Jan 01, 2013

AmishRockstar, Jul 18, 2013

hurdjg, Apr 27, 2013
3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Hooray for local beers! Lucky Bucket hails from Omaha. It's the newest craft brewer in the state.

Lucky Bucket Pre-Prohibition pours like a typical lager, a light gold with a hint more orange than the average domestic. The head is white and short-lived.

On the nose I get biscuits, coriander, and, I'm not going to lie, the smell of dirty diapers about 30 feet away. Also some sweet tarts.

This beer hits me a bit like a wheat beer. I get a touch of oranges and an amazing amount of crispness, bordering on acidity, that is very refreshing and appealing. Again, the biscuity malt is present.

Lucky Bucket is a very drinkable beer. Goes down easy and is very refreshing. Probably something I'd prefer in the summer, but I'm impressed in December, too.

NStLincoln, Dec 02, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

rjpetrizzo, Jun 28, 2012
3.32/5  rDev +0.9%

Dshiznit321, Sep 12, 2014

ipcolling, Jan 08, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

Clean and Yummy with hints of beer!

Pours a light orange amber...

Smells wonderful with a hint of walnuts...

The taste is almost there. It's just needs something. I was thinking this reminded me or Anchor Steam at first. Nope finishes way too clean. This is almost like a Buweiser or a Schlitz made with better ingredients. It just needs maybe one more IBU?

The mouthfeel sure reminds me of American macros. The creaminess but wait! Actual touch of hops in this one. I just got a taste of wet dog fur and almost coughed it up. Horse blanket?

I'm on number 2 and I really see myself finishing off the whole sixxer as it is my night off and I'm looking for something in this beer and I think this beer might be offering something else. I was expecting Anchor Steam but I keep going back to Bud.

Hmmm...I may need to try this again in a few months and review again possibly scrapping this one. The Hawaiian Luau pizza I had tonite should be going better with this than it is...

For some reason I really like this beer and my number scores I noted earlier before sitting down to type. A bit confused with the hop profile and body of this beer. I'm gonna let this review stand and come back to it later. Only fair...

CamuMahubah, Feb 10, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

BearMittens, Jul 09, 2014
Pre-Prohibition Style Lager from Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.