Pre-Prohibition Style Lager - Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.

Pre-Prohibition Style LagerPre-Prohibition Style Lager

Lucky Bucket Brewing Co. visit their website
Nebraska, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.50% ABV

Pre-Prohibition style salutes a time when lagers had greater character and more distinct flavor, when beer wasn't full of the additives found in many of today's mainstream lagers. Lucky Bucket's version has a light, malty flavor that's easy on the palate. Filtered twice, the subtle maltiness nicely balances a floral hop. Dry-hopped with a fresh blend of aromatic West Coast hops, Lucky Bucket Lager is a great session beer with an ABV of 4.5% and 20 IBU's.

(Beer added by: kernel on 08-22-2009)
View: Beers (14) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
suspect

3.18/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a DFH shaped pint glass - gifted to me by my buddy Dan P.

A: Copper-gold in color, mostly clear with some cloudiness. Aggressive pour leads to a 1 finger head that disappears quickly. Lots of slippery lacing. Lots and lots of tiny bubbles race to the top.

S: Not a lot to this one...malt is definitely present as is some bready-grain but other than that...pretty thin in the nose.

T: Yikes, where to start. Well I guess the flavor follows the nose. It is relatively non existent. Some citrus from the hop is detectable but it's minimal. Mostly it's a very non-offending grainy mix. For the style it's a pretty average beer. Not too bad, but also not too good. Quite the dichotomy from the traditional lager in that it started to taste a little better as it got warmer.

M: Extremely light bodied, high carbonation, slightly sticky lingering mouth coating left me thirsty for more which is a good thing. Mouthfeel is probably the highlight of this beer.

O: Hmm...not great. But not terrible either. I wouldn't turn it down if it was given to me but I don't think I'd buy it unless my other options were BMC stuff.

05-07-2011 22:49:18 | More by suspect
sommersb

Tennessee

2.73/5  rDev -17%

Brown 12oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass. No date found on the bottle.

A - Clear, golden color with lots of bubbles streaming from the bottom - a pretty beer to look at. Three fingers of white head quickly went down to one. Little lacing on the glass.

S - Not a lot of aroma. Some light malts, a little bit of bready and some lemony character. Also slightly floral.

T - Something really wrong here - this is not a pleasant taste. The overall effect is a sourness or bitterness I can't quite identify. Maybe you'd call it astringent. Besides these off notes, there is a bit of malt taste and low hop bitterness.

M - Highly carbonated on a light body. Finishes with the same astringent, unpleasant taste as alluded to before.

O - I wasn't expecting too much from this beer - I figured it'd be a middle-of-the-pack lawnmower beer, but it didn't meet those expectations. Maybe I got an old beer -- I don't know since there wasn't a date on the bottle. Would not seek again.

04-20-2011 00:55:34 | More by sommersb
Tballz420

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Clear bodied, but there is a haze. Small white head. Darker gold. Pale malt nose, biscuity. Taste is nice pale malt, light hop, fairly malty for the style. Maybe a hint of fruit. Light mouth, kinda dry. I guess a bit more malt would make it a bit better, but its certainly not bad at all. A nice summer sipper.

04-17-2011 03:18:47 | More by Tballz420
therica

Maryland

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Came in my Beer of the Month April 2011 box (thanks to BA's ad-banner).

Interesting creative effort. I'm rating on their efforts in trying to recreate a historical beer style and not just on its American Pale Lager category.

Overall, not my favorite and not one that I'll see out but it's still a worthy one to experience.

A= light golden, modest white head with rimming.

S= banana or more like plantain; interesting variant on an American Lager, the scent of old-style hops (ie generic Domesticated American Hops), slightly musty malts, starch. Light caramel or cotton-candy notes after it sits for 5-10 minutes. Occasional wine-esque traits.

T= a little bitter-sour up-front, different, took a few sips to get used to it. Dry bitters, old-style hops (or possibly just stale hops), a bit of a zing from the modest carbonation plus hops bitters. Somewhat light on malt flavor.

M= slightly metallic and bitter-sour, a very slight brandy-effect on the tongue.

O= probably fine for table beer or for a social event, I think the sourness might catch up with me after a few, though.

04-12-2011 22:25:23 | More by therica
lawlerj

3.68/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: translucent, goldish brown, no head (tap)

Smell: hops and some malt. Pretty straightforward.

Taste:heavier than a traditional American lager, but still easy drinking. A little grainy, a little hoppy, a nice of balance of not too intense flavors

Mouthfeel: light, smooth

Drinkability:See mouthfeel & taste. A great, straightforward brew for drinking on a summer day.

04-03-2011 16:51:40 | More by lawlerj
CamuMahubah

3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

Clean and Yummy with hints of beer!

Pours a light orange amber...

Smells wonderful with a hint of walnuts...

The taste is almost there. It's just needs something. I was thinking this reminded me or Anchor Steam at first. Nope finishes way too clean. This is almost like a Buweiser or a Schlitz made with better ingredients. It just needs maybe one more IBU?

The mouthfeel sure reminds me of American macros. The creaminess but wait! Actual touch of hops in this one. I just got a taste of wet dog fur and almost coughed it up. Horse blanket?

I'm on number 2 and I really see myself finishing off the whole sixxer as it is my night off and I'm looking for something in this beer and I think this beer might be offering something else. I was expecting Anchor Steam but I keep going back to Bud.

Hmmm...I may need to try this again in a few months and review again possibly scrapping this one. The Hawaiian Luau pizza I had tonite should be going better with this than it is...

For some reason I really like this beer and my number scores I noted earlier before sitting down to type. A bit confused with the hop profile and body of this beer. I'm gonna let this review stand and come back to it later. Only fair...

02-10-2011 03:07:20 | More by CamuMahubah
BuckeyeNation

2.75/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

"Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."

--W.C. Fields

Kruggerand gold with lemon-tinted edges and a lightly crackly crown of eggshell colored foam that isn't sticky enough to leave much of itself on the pint glass. Looks okay while the head lasts.

The nose is no great shakes. Pale and/or lightly toasted malt doesn't have enough of a say and the hops are citrus juicy rather than the more appropriate herbal-earthy. Too much like an APA so far... though I do like APAs.

American pale lagers should be primarily malty with a subtle counterweight of bitterness, not tangy and borderline lemon juicy like P-PSL. I'm not sure what went wrong here, but the brewers might have used the wrong varieties of hops. Either that or advanced age. I'm pretty sure, though, that this bottle hasn't yet reached 6 months.

The flavor profile is pretty much a one-note affair... and that one note is lemon juice. It doesn't taste or feel like there's enough malt, which again, should be the cornerstone of an old school pale lager (see Schlitz Gusto and others).

Even when keeping style and ABV in mind, the mouthfeel is too thin and too harshly fizzy. Of all the attributes, this one is the worst. In fact, the next lowest score was almost chosen.

It's a good thing that IPA was my first offering from Lucky Bucket and not Pre-Prohibition Style Lager. My opinion of these guys is still (mostly) positive, but they'll have to impress next time out to keep it there.

02-05-2011 12:58:14 | More by BuckeyeNation
Gump

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%

Lucky Bucket Lager
I had never heard of this beer. A co-worker gave me this sample which was give to him from the brewer. (cousin)

Great label.
Looks like an amber. A little cloudy.
Near perfect head and settling foam.
Smell is clean, with a touch of graininess.
The first sip catches my by surprise. I didn't expect this much flavor. The hops are prominent and delicious.
This beer finishes clean and quick. Good drinkablity.

01-23-2011 23:51:25 | More by Gump
DesMoinesMike

3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

I suppose something good CAN come out of Nebraska. It's a pretty light copper color with light carbonation. The aroma kinda light with hops and a touch of floral. The taste is a bit light also, with some citrus, flowers, and honey. The finish is a bit tart but lessens when the glass warms up. This isn't too bad for a lager, definitely better than many of the style I've had.

01-16-2011 00:45:50 | More by DesMoinesMike
zeff80

Missouri

3.6/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Poured out a clear, amber color with a one-finger, tan head of foam. The head was short-lived and left no lacing.

S - It smelled malty and somewhat fruity. Not what I expected from a pale lager.

T - It was malty and sweet with a nice caramel flavor. There was a fruity quality here, too. I couldn't identify the fruit but I'd lean toward cherry.

M - It was crisp, sharp and very smooth. A light bodied lager that is very easy drinking.

D - This is a pretty interesting pale lager. It is quite tasty and could be very sessionable.

01-11-2011 02:21:22 | More by zeff80
afinepilsner

3.13/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz brown bottle

Lucky Bucket Pre-Prohibition Style Lager was amber in color with good clarity. It had a beige head with decent retention. The smell was light malt with a little sweetness. The taste was lightly malty with a hint of sweetness upfront and some light hop flavor with a touch of bitterness coming through towards the finish. The mouthfeel was average with a light body and light carbonation. Drinkability was about average. It is a decent lager and worth a try.

11-06-2010 20:56:19 | More by afinepilsner
climax

Missouri

Picked up at Beertopia, Omaha.

Lucky Bucket Lager is a bright amber with a fizzy eggshell head. Lots of bubbles raced to the top.

Interesting aroma spews from this one. I couldn't help but wonder if that egg smell was coming from the beer of the fridge.... yea, that's the beer. Different aroma than I was expecting, but it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Aside from that, pilsner-like diacetyls, wheat, and a dash of noble hop aroma and tartness helped comprise of a more conventional nose.

The flavor was somewhat tart off the bat, sour green apple especially. In the mouth, and on the way down, it faded into a very bready finish. Ah, and there's that egg taste again.

The body is light....er, carbonation is quite crisp at the start and leaves a slight tingle through the finish. I say this is an average beer, because I wasn't the fondest of the flavor. If the flavor hits the spot for someone else, it may be very enjoyable.

10-12-2010 00:17:09 | More by climax
brewduck

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I found a familiar flavor after opening this beer. What was it? It has a distinctly rich flavor compared to your average pilsner. The color is dark, and the aroma a bit salty. (I have to note, I had half this six pack here and there at rest stops around Texas and Kansas, warm).

It hit me on the 2nd bottle that this is basically an altbier. It has that kind of sharp worcestershire taste and the same color as an altbier. If you like that style - this is a good one!

09-08-2010 19:37:37 | More by brewduck
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a pale yellow with small head. Not too much lacing. The smell has a very faint grassy flavour, but very mellow. Taste was quite mellow as well. Carbonation level was pretty much on for the sytle. A pleasant enough beer, but I didn't find it a ton better than some macro lagers.

07-12-2010 19:46:45 | More by kwjd
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.73/5  rDev -17%

Passable lager gotten in trade. Some malty aroma, some white head on light golden colour. A tad light mouthfeel, easy drinking. Pure example of style. A bit of hops, clean, crisp, and refreshing.Not overall exciting but that's the style, the kind of beer that was craft available in the Late Seventies.

06-23-2010 02:49:52 | More by Sammy
TMoney2591

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Served in a Budweiser pokal.

Big ups to JMBSH for hookin' me up with my first Cornhusker brew!

Ah, we pine for the days before all that Prohibitive nonsense, don't we? Just as we pine for the fjords whilst preening our lovely plumage? Yup. This guy pours every shade of auburn from a tiger eye (from the darker amber on top to a pale straw at the base, with several gradients in between) with a minor bubbly head. Imagine a close-up photo of a tiger cub's left eye (the right looks different...we think it's some sort of genetic defect...). The nose is faint, with hints of light wheat and what I struggle to perceive to be caramel. Luckily (hey, that bucket worked! Fuck that dirty ol' rabbit's foot!) the taste has more strength to it, with notes of wheat (slightly darker than in the nose), random grains, raw corn (or, as the Indians call it, maize), and a very mild bitterness. The body is quite smooth and light, with moderate carbonation and a crisp finish. Why can't more lagers be this solid? I guess we're just gonna haveta hog-tie Peabody, jack his Way-Back, and rock our way to the days before those damn early progressives caved to pressures from...whoa, curse these historian's impulses!

06-15-2010 06:03:56 | More by TMoney2591
katan

Colorado

3.88/5  rDev +17.9%

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a very clear, light brown color. Little bubbling, appears lightly carbonated. Head formation is light, just a film of light white.

S - A light scent of grainy notes, lightly malty. Some caramel and toffee is present, lightly toasted.

T - Light malty note, 2-row light sweetness with some grainy caramel notes. Little hopping - little bitterness. Finishes with some caramel malt notes.

M - Lightly carbonated, little sting on the tongue. Finishes very clean, smooth. Clinging sweetness on the tongue.

D - Easy drinking. ABV is well within sessionability. Lightly filling at times. Malting is pretty assertive, leaving a sweet finish.

05-29-2010 03:48:27 | More by katan
scoobybrew

Indiana

3.73/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - light copper color, very clear, small head retained in a light lacing

S - malty sweet, no perceptible hop

T - malt at first with a modest earthy hop flavor on the finish, which is fairly dry considering the aroma and initial malt taste

M - medium body, moderately high carbonation

D - This is a decent session beer and a nice gateway to craft brews. There are no off flavors, but there's not much to this beer. I would recommend this to a friend that isn't into craft beer, but not to a veteran.

05-07-2010 00:56:16 | More by scoobybrew
Icehouse57

4.35/5  rDev +32.2%

Well, many people may not be able to imbibe this wonderful beer on site, but if you have the time, I'd highly suggest taking a trip to the brewery for a tour. You'll get to try all of their beers, and possibly some of their very tasty vodka, as well.

Appearance- A delicious tawny amber. 1 finger off-white head that held its own for an average amount of time.

Aroma- Somewhat bready, with biscuit malt seemingly evident. Not sure what the grist is on this beer, but it must have some in there somewhere. Hard to pin the hop variety based soley on the aroma, but I'd say there are tettnanger and/or saaz from the smell of grass.

Taste- Very well balanced. A hint of toffee sweetness (crystal malt?) at the start, but as the beer moves over the tongue, a breadlike maltiness starts to edge forward, before mixing nicely with the hops. Not overly aggressive in the hops... a nice balance to the slight sweetness.

Mouthfeel- Very nice. Nice carbonation level, appropriate to the amber lager style.

Drinkability- I've since sat down with a six-pack... and it is extremely drinkable! A very nice session beer...

Overall, I'm very impressed for this first offering from this upstart brewery. A little history.... the brewery was started by the former brewmaster of Upstream brewery... a local brewpub. Zach, the head brewmaster here has his masters in brewing, and has hit the ball out of the park! VERY NICE ZACH! Can't wait to see what's next!

03-31-2010 19:08:27 | More by Icehouse57
BigRedN

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Poured into a pilsner glass. The beer is perfectly clear, golden in color typical lager. Pour produces a white head, about 1 inch that quickly fades to a ring around the glass and small white cap with no lacing.

Smell: Low aroma, but one can tell this is not some typical American macro lager as there is (fortunately) no aroma of grains/adjuncts. Unfortunately, I don't get much from the beer, a faint bready aroma and a little grassy hop scent.

Taste: Much like the scent, overall lacking in flavor (some light malts). Its nice that this is not a corny/rice macro lager (would have been easy to use corn here in Nebraska) but I am just not getting much. Maybe I am too used to big malty/hoppy beers and this is too subtle for me, but I just am not getting much from the beer.

Mouthfeel: Light in body and light in carbonation. Clean finish, nothing real wow here, but in line with the style.

Drinkability: Well, the beer is very drinkable, low ABV, sessionable (hence the 4 score). However, the beer is not overly exciting or memorable. I want to really like it, I just am not excited about it.

Picked this up because it is local; brewed in Nebraska. Interesting style choice for a small craft brewer, I guess they were trying to pull in BMC drinker, because there is not a lot here for most dedicated craft drinkers. Will I get it again? At the typical price I see it of $6.99, no. If it were cheaper, maybe if I'm in the mood to pound lagers.

03-26-2010 04:03:02 | More by BigRedN
NStLincoln

3.65/5  rDev +10.9%

Hooray for local beers! Lucky Bucket hails from Omaha. It's the newest craft brewer in the state.

Lucky Bucket Pre-Prohibition pours like a typical lager, a light gold with a hint more orange than the average domestic. The head is white and short-lived.

On the nose I get biscuits, coriander, and, I'm not going to lie, the smell of dirty diapers about 30 feet away. Also some sweet tarts.

This beer hits me a bit like a wheat beer. I get a touch of oranges and an amazing amount of crispness, bordering on acidity, that is very refreshing and appealing. Again, the biscuity malt is present.

Lucky Bucket is a very drinkable beer. Goes down easy and is very refreshing. Probably something I'd prefer in the summer, but I'm impressed in December, too.

12-02-2009 21:20:39 | More by NStLincoln
wcudwight

3.68/5  rDev +11.9%

Thanks to Fugazme for some fine local Nebraskan brews.
Cystal clear pale golden colored. Large fluffy white head quickly recedes to a thin white film on top of the beer.
Lot's of pale malt in the aroma. Fresh baked biscuits. Faint hint of a spicy hop and fruitiness.
Flavorful for the style. Lot's of pale malt. Biscut flavored. Fruit--green apple. Hint of Juicy Fruit gum.
Light bodied and crisp in the mouthfeel. Very clean finish. Mouthfeel is made for sessioning.
Very drinkable. One to keep stocked in your fridge in the summer. Would be a good beer to have in cans.

11-06-2009 03:48:52 | More by wcudwight
cbaird2

3.43/5  rDev +4.3%

A pre-prohibition style lager (NO ADJUNCTS), 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass 4.5% ABV

A - Golden, though more orange than a standard lager. Head disappeared almost immediately.

S - Slightly malty aroma.

T - Malty, just slightly hoppy and bitter. Slightly crisp. Fairly clean finish, not much aftertaste (especially compared to any Macro)

M - Medium carbonation, with medium body.

D - very drinkable, could easily have many of these at once. A good first effort from a local Nebraska brewer.

08-23-2009 23:51:12 | More by cbaird2
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
Pre-Prohibition Style Lager from Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.