Pre-Prohibition Style Lager - Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.

Pre-Prohibition Style LagerPre-Prohibition Style Lager

Lucky Bucket Brewing Co. visit their website
Nebraska, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.50% ABV

Pre-Prohibition style salutes a time when lagers had greater character and more distinct flavor, when beer wasn't full of the additives found in many of today's mainstream lagers. Lucky Bucket's version has a light, malty flavor that's easy on the palate. Filtered twice, the subtle maltiness nicely balances a floral hop. Dry-hopped with a fresh blend of aromatic West Coast hops, Lucky Bucket Lager is a great session beer with an ABV of 4.5% and 20 IBU's.

(Beer added by: kernel on 08-22-2009)
3.13/5  rDev -4.6%

from 12 oz bottle

A-pours a slight hazed golden color with a fast receding 1 finger head with very little lacing

S- is malts and bread a touch of caramel

T-malts and baked bread with a touch of citrus hops

M- low,medium carbonation with light tastes,crisp in the mouth

O- an average lager

gatornation, Jun 23, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +18.9%

This beer pours a cloudy golden color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes within seconds into almost no lacing. The aroma is of light caramel with hints of floral hops. For the style the aroma is rather strong. The taste is similar to the aroma, but fuller. It finishes clean with a mild pale malt taste that lingers for a few seconds then goes away. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, and a smooth texture. Overall, this is a nice easy drinking beer. I could drink this again without complaints, but there are better beers in this style that I would choose first.

KarlHungus, Jun 17, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -21.3%

Smells somewhat tart...has a citric and even grape-like presence on the nose. Different.

Taste here is a sour body for the most part. It's very different, to be honest. It doesn't approach the tartness of say, a berliner, but it's very noticeable. A good dose of grain shows up on the finish along with a smattering of hops. The real star of the beer though and its defining characteristic is the tartness.

Definitely not my favorite beer, and though it's quite drinkable, the dominating sourness just isn't my bag.

NODAK, May 25, 2011
3.28/5  rDev 0%

Got a bottle from the beer of the month club. The beer pours golden in color with a little bit of haze. A head forms but retreats quickly. The smell doesn't strike me with much of anything. The taste is pretty good for a lager but for the most part it is kind of forgettable. It tastes like a pretty good lager. Not a bad thing I guess but if you are on this site you look for more. A step up from BMC but not aimed at the serious drinker.

mizzouguy, May 14, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +7.6%

I got this as part of a BOTMC. I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a SA perfect pint glass. The pour is pale yellow with a moderate white head. The aroma is non descript, hay, grass, sweet. Taste like a typicla lager, light and easy drinking. A decent all around lager.

bonkers, May 09, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a DFH shaped pint glass - gifted to me by my buddy Dan P.

A: Copper-gold in color, mostly clear with some cloudiness. Aggressive pour leads to a 1 finger head that disappears quickly. Lots of slippery lacing. Lots and lots of tiny bubbles race to the top.

S: Not a lot to this one...malt is definitely present as is some bready-grain but other than that...pretty thin in the nose.

T: Yikes, where to start. Well I guess the flavor follows the nose. It is relatively non existent. Some citrus from the hop is detectable but it's minimal. Mostly it's a very non-offending grainy mix. For the style it's a pretty average beer. Not too bad, but also not too good. Quite the dichotomy from the traditional lager in that it started to taste a little better as it got warmer.

M: Extremely light bodied, high carbonation, slightly sticky lingering mouth coating left me thirsty for more which is a good thing. Mouthfeel is probably the highlight of this beer.

O: Hmm...not great. But not terrible either. I wouldn't turn it down if it was given to me but I don't think I'd buy it unless my other options were BMC stuff.

suspect, May 07, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -16.8%

Brown 12oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass. No date found on the bottle.

A - Clear, golden color with lots of bubbles streaming from the bottom - a pretty beer to look at. Three fingers of white head quickly went down to one. Little lacing on the glass.

S - Not a lot of aroma. Some light malts, a little bit of bready and some lemony character. Also slightly floral.

T - Something really wrong here - this is not a pleasant taste. The overall effect is a sourness or bitterness I can't quite identify. Maybe you'd call it astringent. Besides these off notes, there is a bit of malt taste and low hop bitterness.

M - Highly carbonated on a light body. Finishes with the same astringent, unpleasant taste as alluded to before.

O - I wasn't expecting too much from this beer - I figured it'd be a middle-of-the-pack lawnmower beer, but it didn't meet those expectations. Maybe I got an old beer -- I don't know since there wasn't a date on the bottle. Would not seek again.

sommersb, Apr 20, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

Clear bodied, but there is a haze. Small white head. Darker gold. Pale malt nose, biscuity. Taste is nice pale malt, light hop, fairly malty for the style. Maybe a hint of fruit. Light mouth, kinda dry. I guess a bit more malt would make it a bit better, but its certainly not bad at all. A nice summer sipper.

Tballz420, Apr 17, 2011
3.4/5  rDev +3.7%

Came in my Beer of the Month April 2011 box (thanks to BA's ad-banner).

Interesting creative effort. I'm rating on their efforts in trying to recreate a historical beer style and not just on its American Pale Lager category.

Overall, not my favorite and not one that I'll see out but it's still a worthy one to experience.

A= light golden, modest white head with rimming.

S= banana or more like plantain; interesting variant on an American Lager, the scent of old-style hops (ie generic Domesticated American Hops), slightly musty malts, starch. Light caramel or cotton-candy notes after it sits for 5-10 minutes. Occasional wine-esque traits.

T= a little bitter-sour up-front, different, took a few sips to get used to it. Dry bitters, old-style hops (or possibly just stale hops), a bit of a zing from the modest carbonation plus hops bitters. Somewhat light on malt flavor.

M= slightly metallic and bitter-sour, a very slight brandy-effect on the tongue.

O= probably fine for table beer or for a social event, I think the sourness might catch up with me after a few, though.

therica, Apr 12, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance: translucent, goldish brown, no head (tap)

Smell: hops and some malt. Pretty straightforward.

Taste:heavier than a traditional American lager, but still easy drinking. A little grainy, a little hoppy, a nice of balance of not too intense flavors

Mouthfeel: light, smooth

Drinkability:See mouthfeel & taste. A great, straightforward brew for drinking on a summer day.

lawlerj, Apr 03, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Clean and Yummy with hints of beer!

Pours a light orange amber...

Smells wonderful with a hint of walnuts...

The taste is almost there. It's just needs something. I was thinking this reminded me or Anchor Steam at first. Nope finishes way too clean. This is almost like a Buweiser or a Schlitz made with better ingredients. It just needs maybe one more IBU?

The mouthfeel sure reminds me of American macros. The creaminess but wait! Actual touch of hops in this one. I just got a taste of wet dog fur and almost coughed it up. Horse blanket?

I'm on number 2 and I really see myself finishing off the whole sixxer as it is my night off and I'm looking for something in this beer and I think this beer might be offering something else. I was expecting Anchor Steam but I keep going back to Bud.

Hmmm...I may need to try this again in a few months and review again possibly scrapping this one. The Hawaiian Luau pizza I had tonite should be going better with this than it is...

For some reason I really like this beer and my number scores I noted earlier before sitting down to type. A bit confused with the hop profile and body of this beer. I'm gonna let this review stand and come back to it later. Only fair...

CamuMahubah, Feb 10, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -16.2%

"Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."

--W.C. Fields

Kruggerand gold with lemon-tinted edges and a lightly crackly crown of eggshell colored foam that isn't sticky enough to leave much of itself on the pint glass. Looks okay while the head lasts.

The nose is no great shakes. Pale and/or lightly toasted malt doesn't have enough of a say and the hops are citrus juicy rather than the more appropriate herbal-earthy. Too much like an APA so far... though I do like APAs.

American pale lagers should be primarily malty with a subtle counterweight of bitterness, not tangy and borderline lemon juicy like P-PSL. I'm not sure what went wrong here, but the brewers might have used the wrong varieties of hops. Either that or advanced age. I'm pretty sure, though, that this bottle hasn't yet reached 6 months.

The flavor profile is pretty much a one-note affair... and that one note is lemon juice. It doesn't taste or feel like there's enough malt, which again, should be the cornerstone of an old school pale lager (see Schlitz Gusto and others).

Even when keeping style and ABV in mind, the mouthfeel is too thin and too harshly fizzy. Of all the attributes, this one is the worst. In fact, the next lowest score was almost chosen.

It's a good thing that IPA was my first offering from Lucky Bucket and not Pre-Prohibition Style Lager. My opinion of these guys is still (mostly) positive, but they'll have to impress next time out to keep it there.

BuckeyeNation, Feb 05, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +8.2%

Lucky Bucket Lager
I had never heard of this beer. A co-worker gave me this sample which was give to him from the brewer. (cousin)

Great label.
Looks like an amber. A little cloudy.
Near perfect head and settling foam.
Smell is clean, with a touch of graininess.
The first sip catches my by surprise. I didn't expect this much flavor. The hops are prominent and delicious.
This beer finishes clean and quick. Good drinkablity.

Gump, Jan 23, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +7.6%

I suppose something good CAN come out of Nebraska. It's a pretty light copper color with light carbonation. The aroma kinda light with hops and a touch of floral. The taste is a bit light also, with some citrus, flowers, and honey. The finish is a bit tart but lessens when the glass warms up. This isn't too bad for a lager, definitely better than many of the style I've had.

DesMoinesMike, Jan 16, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Poured out a clear, amber color with a one-finger, tan head of foam. The head was short-lived and left no lacing.

S - It smelled malty and somewhat fruity. Not what I expected from a pale lager.

T - It was malty and sweet with a nice caramel flavor. There was a fruity quality here, too. I couldn't identify the fruit but I'd lean toward cherry.

M - It was crisp, sharp and very smooth. A light bodied lager that is very easy drinking.

D - This is a pretty interesting pale lager. It is quite tasty and could be very sessionable.

zeff80, Jan 11, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -4.6%

12oz brown bottle

Lucky Bucket Pre-Prohibition Style Lager was amber in color with good clarity. It had a beige head with decent retention. The smell was light malt with a little sweetness. The taste was lightly malty with a hint of sweetness upfront and some light hop flavor with a touch of bitterness coming through towards the finish. The mouthfeel was average with a light body and light carbonation. Drinkability was about average. It is a decent lager and worth a try.

afinepilsner, Nov 06, 2010

Picked up at Beertopia, Omaha.

Lucky Bucket Lager is a bright amber with a fizzy eggshell head. Lots of bubbles raced to the top.

Interesting aroma spews from this one. I couldn't help but wonder if that egg smell was coming from the beer of the fridge.... yea, that's the beer. Different aroma than I was expecting, but it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Aside from that, pilsner-like diacetyls, wheat, and a dash of noble hop aroma and tartness helped comprise of a more conventional nose.

The flavor was somewhat tart off the bat, sour green apple especially. In the mouth, and on the way down, it faded into a very bready finish. Ah, and there's that egg taste again.

The body is light....er, carbonation is quite crisp at the start and leaves a slight tingle through the finish. I say this is an average beer, because I wasn't the fondest of the flavor. If the flavor hits the spot for someone else, it may be very enjoyable.

climax, Oct 12, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +8.2%

I found a familiar flavor after opening this beer. What was it? It has a distinctly rich flavor compared to your average pilsner. The color is dark, and the aroma a bit salty. (I have to note, I had half this six pack here and there at rest stops around Texas and Kansas, warm).

It hit me on the 2nd bottle that this is basically an altbier. It has that kind of sharp worcestershire taste and the same color as an altbier. If you like that style - this is a good one!

brewduck, Sep 08, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a pale yellow with small head. Not too much lacing. The smell has a very faint grassy flavour, but very mellow. Taste was quite mellow as well. Carbonation level was pretty much on for the sytle. A pleasant enough beer, but I didn't find it a ton better than some macro lagers.

kwjd, Jul 12, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -16.8%

Passable lager gotten in trade. Some malty aroma, some white head on light golden colour. A tad light mouthfeel, easy drinking. Pure example of style. A bit of hops, clean, crisp, and refreshing.Not overall exciting but that's the style, the kind of beer that was craft available in the Late Seventies.

Sammy, Jun 23, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +9.1%

Served in a Budweiser pokal.

Big ups to JMBSH for hookin' me up with my first Cornhusker brew!

Ah, we pine for the days before all that Prohibitive nonsense, don't we? Just as we pine for the fjords whilst preening our lovely plumage? Yup. This guy pours every shade of auburn from a tiger eye (from the darker amber on top to a pale straw at the base, with several gradients in between) with a minor bubbly head. Imagine a close-up photo of a tiger cub's left eye (the right looks different...we think it's some sort of genetic defect...). The nose is faint, with hints of light wheat and what I struggle to perceive to be caramel. Luckily (hey, that bucket worked! Fuck that dirty ol' rabbit's foot!) the taste has more strength to it, with notes of wheat (slightly darker than in the nose), random grains, raw corn (or, as the Indians call it, maize), and a very mild bitterness. The body is quite smooth and light, with moderate carbonation and a crisp finish. Why can't more lagers be this solid? I guess we're just gonna haveta hog-tie Peabody, jack his Way-Back, and rock our way to the days before those damn early progressives caved to pressures from...whoa, curse these historian's impulses!

TMoney2591, Jun 15, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +18.3%

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a very clear, light brown color. Little bubbling, appears lightly carbonated. Head formation is light, just a film of light white.

S - A light scent of grainy notes, lightly malty. Some caramel and toffee is present, lightly toasted.

T - Light malty note, 2-row light sweetness with some grainy caramel notes. Little hopping - little bitterness. Finishes with some caramel malt notes.

M - Lightly carbonated, little sting on the tongue. Finishes very clean, smooth. Clinging sweetness on the tongue.

D - Easy drinking. ABV is well within sessionability. Lightly filling at times. Malting is pretty assertive, leaving a sweet finish.

katan, May 29, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +13.7%

A - light copper color, very clear, small head retained in a light lacing

S - malty sweet, no perceptible hop

T - malt at first with a modest earthy hop flavor on the finish, which is fairly dry considering the aroma and initial malt taste

M - medium body, moderately high carbonation

D - This is a decent session beer and a nice gateway to craft brews. There are no off flavors, but there's not much to this beer. I would recommend this to a friend that isn't into craft beer, but not to a veteran.

scoobybrew, May 07, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +32.6%

Well, many people may not be able to imbibe this wonderful beer on site, but if you have the time, I'd highly suggest taking a trip to the brewery for a tour. You'll get to try all of their beers, and possibly some of their very tasty vodka, as well.

Appearance- A delicious tawny amber. 1 finger off-white head that held its own for an average amount of time.

Aroma- Somewhat bready, with biscuit malt seemingly evident. Not sure what the grist is on this beer, but it must have some in there somewhere. Hard to pin the hop variety based soley on the aroma, but I'd say there are tettnanger and/or saaz from the smell of grass.

Taste- Very well balanced. A hint of toffee sweetness (crystal malt?) at the start, but as the beer moves over the tongue, a breadlike maltiness starts to edge forward, before mixing nicely with the hops. Not overly aggressive in the hops... a nice balance to the slight sweetness.

Mouthfeel- Very nice. Nice carbonation level, appropriate to the amber lager style.

Drinkability- I've since sat down with a six-pack... and it is extremely drinkable! A very nice session beer...

Overall, I'm very impressed for this first offering from this upstart brewery. A little history.... the brewery was started by the former brewmaster of Upstream brewery... a local brewpub. Zach, the head brewmaster here has his masters in brewing, and has hit the ball out of the park! VERY NICE ZACH! Can't wait to see what's next!

Icehouse57, Mar 31, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Poured into a pilsner glass. The beer is perfectly clear, golden in color typical lager. Pour produces a white head, about 1 inch that quickly fades to a ring around the glass and small white cap with no lacing.

Smell: Low aroma, but one can tell this is not some typical American macro lager as there is (fortunately) no aroma of grains/adjuncts. Unfortunately, I don't get much from the beer, a faint bready aroma and a little grassy hop scent.

Taste: Much like the scent, overall lacking in flavor (some light malts). Its nice that this is not a corny/rice macro lager (would have been easy to use corn here in Nebraska) but I am just not getting much. Maybe I am too used to big malty/hoppy beers and this is too subtle for me, but I just am not getting much from the beer.

Mouthfeel: Light in body and light in carbonation. Clean finish, nothing real wow here, but in line with the style.

Drinkability: Well, the beer is very drinkable, low ABV, sessionable (hence the 4 score). However, the beer is not overly exciting or memorable. I want to really like it, I just am not excited about it.

Picked this up because it is local; brewed in Nebraska. Interesting style choice for a small craft brewer, I guess they were trying to pull in BMC drinker, because there is not a lot here for most dedicated craft drinkers. Will I get it again? At the typical price I see it of $6.99, no. If it were cheaper, maybe if I'm in the mood to pound lagers.

BigRedN, Mar 26, 2010
Pre-Prohibition Style Lager from Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.