Pre-Prohibition Style Lager - Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.

Pre-Prohibition Style LagerPre-Prohibition Style Lager

Lucky Bucket Brewing Co. visit their website
Nebraska, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.50% ABV

Pre-Prohibition style salutes a time when lagers had greater character and more distinct flavor, when beer wasn't full of the additives found in many of today's mainstream lagers. Lucky Bucket's version has a light, malty flavor that's easy on the palate. Filtered twice, the subtle maltiness nicely balances a floral hop. Dry-hopped with a fresh blend of aromatic West Coast hops, Lucky Bucket Lager is a great session beer with an ABV of 4.5% and 20 IBU's.

(Beer added by: kernel on 08-22-2009)
3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

A decent lager made locally.... so bonus points for that, haha. Slight aromas of malt, a white head, and a medium golden color. Mouthfeel is light which makes this beer an easy drinker. A pretty straight forward lager. Clean, crisp, and somewhat dry finish. Nothing special, but nothing to complain about.

3.1/5  rDev -6.1%

The beer is a dark amber color with just a wisp of foam. The aroma is caramel malt with a few off-fruity notes lingering in the shadow. This continues onto the palate where the sweetness goes awry midway through conjuring up unpleasant thoughts. The off flavors are strangely sour. These aspects are not so objectionable to make it undrinkable, but they are noticeable. The beer finishes with a whimper. Whether pre-prohibition or post-prohibition, the beer is not historic.

3.6/5  rDev +9.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Gold in color and brilliantly clear. Medium, nearly white head with decent retention.

Aroma-Herbal/spicy and slightly noble hop profile with a bready/Pils malt base, and slight grain notes. Touch of skunk fades quickly. Lightly sweet and fresh smelling.

Flavor-Bready Pils malt and saltine cracker with a faint herbal hop note and a light crack of hop bitterness in the finish. Relatively clean but not that crisp in the finish.

Mouthfeel-Medium body with moderate, soft carbonation. I wish the finish were a bit crisper-it would make for a more refreshing beverage.

Quite solid for an American Lager-a decent example of a fancy lawn mower beer if you will. I just wish that it finished a little bit crisper-as it is, it feels just a little flabby.

3.35/5  rDev +1.5%

Lucky Bucket Lager pours a fat head that collapses pretty quickly into a disk of foam over a slightly cloudy yellow brew. Carbonation is slow but steady, the nose lager yeast funk and sour apple notes. Flavor is mild light barley malt, starting slightly tart with the tiniest bite of hebal hop off the back. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, with a bit of the hop and barley hull coming back in the aftertaste. Altogether a pretty unassuming brew, but as with beers like New Glarus Spotted Cow and August Schell's Nordeast, it is designed to be a step above the macro lagers- a gateway for the curious drinker used to beers brewed and marketed more as bulk commodities than as a hometown brew...

2.17/5  rDev -34.2%

Appearance & Aroma: When I poured the beer, it was obvious that it had a ton of carbonation in it. The head fell fairly quickly, but the carbonation kept about a quarter inch creamy white head on the top. The color was golden – copper colored and there was a very nice light caramel and bready aroma with a bit of a lager-like smell as well.

Taste & Feel: It was light bodied, and despite all the carbonation, it was fairly smooth and a bit watery with only a slight carbonation bite. It’s got a fruity, sour, slightly tart flavor in the middle, which gave way to a bit of a yeasty-lagery, and slightly metallic dry finish.

Food Pairing: I think this beer would help to wash down thicker, heartier foods, such as burgers, steak, or roasts. the bready and yeasty flavors would complement these beef dishes, and the lightness would help to cleanse the palate between bites.

Overall Impression: This beer was given to me as a gift, and I don’t know what it had been through or how long it took to get to me, so take that into consideration. I hope to try a fresh one someday, as this was one of the worst beers I’ve ever had. The fruity, sour, tart flavor seemed very misplaced, and it reminded me of something someone from my homebrew club to bring to a meeting and ask what’s wrong with it. I definitely do not recommend this beer based on the two bottles of it that I had.

3.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Orange-amber and bubbly with a steady one-inch head; not a whole lot of lacing

S: Grainy--with a slight sour mash aroma; lots of just your basic grain/straw aroma; subtle citrus; fairly subtle and subdued overall but pleasant enough

T: A very pleasant grainy quality with just a touch of citrus hops on the finish; a touch sour too actually; nothing spectacular here but in the end it still is a nice session lager

F: Well carbonated and medium bodied; the beer even has a stickiness to it that works well

O: You know, this is a fine little lager; it is what it is but it's balanced and refreshing and sessionable

3.43/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks Mom!

Appearance: Striking dark gold with an inch of tan foam that receeds quickly. Leaves no lacing. +4 for that rich golden color even without lacing.

Smell: Faintly sour, malty.

Taste: Heavy on the malt, but not overly sweet. Slight hops come through toward end. Finishes dry and somewhat crisp. Easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, decently carbonated. Crisp.

Overall: On my fourth bottle of the six pack. Perfectly drinkable and Lucky Bucket did a fair job recreating the old lager style, it certainly has the taste. But it never was that good to begin with, was it?

This beer is very flavorful and the yeast make for a great drink for a lager. Insanely easy to drink! Very yummy for a lager brewed with centennial hops. Highly carbonated and dances on the tongue.
I usually not a lager fan, but this one did a great job pleasing my need for refreshment on a hot day!
A very good lager!

3.7/5  rDev +12.1%

Lucky Bucket Brewing Company Craft Brewery Lager, Est. 2006, Original taste, Pre-prohibition style., Brewed and bottled by Lucky Bucket Brewing Company, La Vista, Nebraska. 4.5% ABV.
"A lot of things go into making a great beer, This pre-prohibition style lager, for example, communes 100% malted barley with just the right amount of hops, making it smoother and more flavorful than today's typical lagers. But the most important ingredient isn't on the label. It's our passion for quality that goes into every Lucky Bucket brew. So take another drink and savor what real beer is all about."

Let's do it.
Clear and yellow look, slim whitish head. Not much else.

Aroma: cereal grain, typical lager-y smell, very malty, pleasant and all that.

Taste: a little sweet, a trifle corny, but not bad. Just enough sweetness, but not enough hops. A tasty lager, though, and very consumable. A little dry, then a touch sweet, …a kiss of the hops, a tiny touch of bitter. Not even tiny, but plenty more than you'd get from a non-craft lager.

Great balance, excellent pad de deau between the factors. Ultimately satisfactory. I can drink this, that's for sure. As a non-lager-lover, I'm not ultimately going to turn to this often, but it's fine for what it is.

from 12 oz bottle

A-pours a slight hazed golden color with a fast receding 1 finger head with very little lacing

S- is malts and bread a touch of caramel

T-malts and baked bread with a touch of citrus hops

M- low,medium carbonation with light tastes,crisp in the mouth

O- an average lager

3.9/5  rDev +18.2%

This beer pours a cloudy golden color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes within seconds into almost no lacing. The aroma is of light caramel with hints of floral hops. For the style the aroma is rather strong. The taste is similar to the aroma, but fuller. It finishes clean with a mild pale malt taste that lingers for a few seconds then goes away. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, and a smooth texture. Overall, this is a nice easy drinking beer. I could drink this again without complaints, but there are better beers in this style that I would choose first.

2.58/5  rDev -21.8%

Smells somewhat tart...has a citric and even grape-like presence on the nose. Different.

Taste here is a sour body for the most part. It's very different, to be honest. It doesn't approach the tartness of say, a berliner, but it's very noticeable. A good dose of grain shows up on the finish along with a smattering of hops. The real star of the beer though and its defining characteristic is the tartness.

Definitely not my favorite beer, and though it's quite drinkable, the dominating sourness just isn't my bag.

3.28/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got a bottle from the beer of the month club. The beer pours golden in color with a little bit of haze. A head forms but retreats quickly. The smell doesn't strike me with much of anything. The taste is pretty good for a lager but for the most part it is kind of forgettable. It tastes like a pretty good lager. Not a bad thing I guess but if you are on this site you look for more. A step up from BMC but not aimed at the serious drinker.

3.53/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got this as part of a BOTMC. I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a SA perfect pint glass. The pour is pale yellow with a moderate white head. The aroma is non descript, hay, grass, sweet. Taste like a typicla lager, light and easy drinking. A decent all around lager.

3.18/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a DFH shaped pint glass - gifted to me by my buddy Dan P.

A: Copper-gold in color, mostly clear with some cloudiness. Aggressive pour leads to a 1 finger head that disappears quickly. Lots of slippery lacing. Lots and lots of tiny bubbles race to the top.

S: Not a lot to this one...malt is definitely present as is some bready-grain but other than that...pretty thin in the nose.

T: Yikes, where to start. Well I guess the flavor follows the nose. It is relatively non existent. Some citrus from the hop is detectable but it's minimal. Mostly it's a very non-offending grainy mix. For the style it's a pretty average beer. Not too bad, but also not too good. Quite the dichotomy from the traditional lager in that it started to taste a little better as it got warmer.

M: Extremely light bodied, high carbonation, slightly sticky lingering mouth coating left me thirsty for more which is a good thing. Mouthfeel is probably the highlight of this beer.

O: Hmm...not great. But not terrible either. I wouldn't turn it down if it was given to me but I don't think I'd buy it unless my other options were BMC stuff.

2.73/5  rDev -17.3%

Brown 12oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass. No date found on the bottle.

A - Clear, golden color with lots of bubbles streaming from the bottom - a pretty beer to look at. Three fingers of white head quickly went down to one. Little lacing on the glass.

S - Not a lot of aroma. Some light malts, a little bit of bready and some lemony character. Also slightly floral.

T - Something really wrong here - this is not a pleasant taste. The overall effect is a sourness or bitterness I can't quite identify. Maybe you'd call it astringent. Besides these off notes, there is a bit of malt taste and low hop bitterness.

M - Highly carbonated on a light body. Finishes with the same astringent, unpleasant taste as alluded to before.

O - I wasn't expecting too much from this beer - I figured it'd be a middle-of-the-pack lawnmower beer, but it didn't meet those expectations. Maybe I got an old beer -- I don't know since there wasn't a date on the bottle. Would not seek again.

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Clear bodied, but there is a haze. Small white head. Darker gold. Pale malt nose, biscuity. Taste is nice pale malt, light hop, fairly malty for the style. Maybe a hint of fruit. Light mouth, kinda dry. I guess a bit more malt would make it a bit better, but its certainly not bad at all. A nice summer sipper.

3.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Came in my Beer of the Month April 2011 box (thanks to BA's ad-banner).

Interesting creative effort. I'm rating on their efforts in trying to recreate a historical beer style and not just on its American Pale Lager category.

Overall, not my favorite and not one that I'll see out but it's still a worthy one to experience.

A= light golden, modest white head with rimming.

S= banana or more like plantain; interesting variant on an American Lager, the scent of old-style hops (ie generic Domesticated American Hops), slightly musty malts, starch. Light caramel or cotton-candy notes after it sits for 5-10 minutes. Occasional wine-esque traits.

T= a little bitter-sour up-front, different, took a few sips to get used to it. Dry bitters, old-style hops (or possibly just stale hops), a bit of a zing from the modest carbonation plus hops bitters. Somewhat light on malt flavor.

M= slightly metallic and bitter-sour, a very slight brandy-effect on the tongue.

O= probably fine for table beer or for a social event, I think the sourness might catch up with me after a few, though.

3.68/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: translucent, goldish brown, no head (tap)

Smell: hops and some malt. Pretty straightforward.

Taste:heavier than a traditional American lager, but still easy drinking. A little grainy, a little hoppy, a nice of balance of not too intense flavors

Mouthfeel: light, smooth

Drinkability:See mouthfeel & taste. A great, straightforward brew for drinking on a summer day.

3.8/5  rDev +15.2%

Clean and Yummy with hints of beer!

Pours a light orange amber...

Smells wonderful with a hint of walnuts...

The taste is almost there. It's just needs something. I was thinking this reminded me or Anchor Steam at first. Nope finishes way too clean. This is almost like a Buweiser or a Schlitz made with better ingredients. It just needs maybe one more IBU?

The mouthfeel sure reminds me of American macros. The creaminess but wait! Actual touch of hops in this one. I just got a taste of wet dog fur and almost coughed it up. Horse blanket?

I'm on number 2 and I really see myself finishing off the whole sixxer as it is my night off and I'm looking for something in this beer and I think this beer might be offering something else. I was expecting Anchor Steam but I keep going back to Bud.

Hmmm...I may need to try this again in a few months and review again possibly scrapping this one. The Hawaiian Luau pizza I had tonite should be going better with this than it is...

For some reason I really like this beer and my number scores I noted earlier before sitting down to type. A bit confused with the hop profile and body of this beer. I'm gonna let this review stand and come back to it later. Only fair...

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

"Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."

--W.C. Fields

Kruggerand gold with lemon-tinted edges and a lightly crackly crown of eggshell colored foam that isn't sticky enough to leave much of itself on the pint glass. Looks okay while the head lasts.

The nose is no great shakes. Pale and/or lightly toasted malt doesn't have enough of a say and the hops are citrus juicy rather than the more appropriate herbal-earthy. Too much like an APA so far... though I do like APAs.

American pale lagers should be primarily malty with a subtle counterweight of bitterness, not tangy and borderline lemon juicy like P-PSL. I'm not sure what went wrong here, but the brewers might have used the wrong varieties of hops. Either that or advanced age. I'm pretty sure, though, that this bottle hasn't yet reached 6 months.

The flavor profile is pretty much a one-note affair... and that one note is lemon juice. It doesn't taste or feel like there's enough malt, which again, should be the cornerstone of an old school pale lager (see Schlitz Gusto and others).

Even when keeping style and ABV in mind, the mouthfeel is too thin and too harshly fizzy. Of all the attributes, this one is the worst. In fact, the next lowest score was almost chosen.

It's a good thing that IPA was my first offering from Lucky Bucket and not Pre-Prohibition Style Lager. My opinion of these guys is still (mostly) positive, but they'll have to impress next time out to keep it there.

3.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Lucky Bucket Lager
I had never heard of this beer. A co-worker gave me this sample which was give to him from the brewer. (cousin)

Great label.
Looks like an amber. A little cloudy.
Near perfect head and settling foam.
Smell is clean, with a touch of graininess.
The first sip catches my by surprise. I didn't expect this much flavor. The hops are prominent and delicious.
This beer finishes clean and quick. Good drinkablity.

3.53/5  rDev +7%

I suppose something good CAN come out of Nebraska. It's a pretty light copper color with light carbonation. The aroma kinda light with hops and a touch of floral. The taste is a bit light also, with some citrus, flowers, and honey. The finish is a bit tart but lessens when the glass warms up. This isn't too bad for a lager, definitely better than many of the style I've had.

3.6/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Poured out a clear, amber color with a one-finger, tan head of foam. The head was short-lived and left no lacing.

S - It smelled malty and somewhat fruity. Not what I expected from a pale lager.

T - It was malty and sweet with a nice caramel flavor. There was a fruity quality here, too. I couldn't identify the fruit but I'd lean toward cherry.

M - It was crisp, sharp and very smooth. A light bodied lager that is very easy drinking.

D - This is a pretty interesting pale lager. It is quite tasty and could be very sessionable.

12oz brown bottle

Lucky Bucket Pre-Prohibition Style Lager was amber in color with good clarity. It had a beige head with decent retention. The smell was light malt with a little sweetness. The taste was lightly malty with a hint of sweetness upfront and some light hop flavor with a touch of bitterness coming through towards the finish. The mouthfeel was average with a light body and light carbonation. Drinkability was about average. It is a decent lager and worth a try.

Pre-Prohibition Style Lager from Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.