IPA - Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.

IPAIPA

good

Lucky Bucket Brewing Co. visit their website
Nebraska, United States

Beer added by: RedHaze on 05-23-2010

India Pale Ale is about balance. The right balance of malt, hop flavor, bitterness, and aroma to create an unforgettable ale. Lucky Bucket's Original American IPA begins with a nice malt bill that lets the brew stand up to the mountain of hops added later. After the boil, the hot wort (the beer before it's really beer) is fired through a hop back, a unique four-barrel stainless steel tank filled with a gratuitous amount of raw flower Amarillo, Centennial, and Cascade hops, extracting the aromatic oils and flavor of the hops. Followed with additional dry hopping in the fermenter, the end result is a big, well-balanced West Coast-style IPA with terrific hop flavor and aroma. Lucky Bucket IPA weighs in at 65 IBUs and 6.3% ABV.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 235 | Reviews: 79

4.8/5  rDev +31.1%

I have been looking forward to trying Lucky's IPA and I finally had the chance at Shuck's Oyster Bar (Absolutely Fresh!). The green label on the bottle hints at refinement and almost a throwback to a better time. Maybe I exaggerate, but there was something nostalgic about it.

Anyway... the beer. I asked the waitress for a glass so I could see what I was drinking. I was not disappointed. The pour was glorious. The rich, dark ale poured smoothly, foaming just enough to release the aromatic overtones of hops and undertones of fruitiness.

I was pleased to find that the IPA was not overly hoppy or biting. It was smooth and quite drinkable. I love a strong IPA, don't get me wrong, but I was hoping for something a bit more special from Lucky, and I found it. Sometimes, after starting with an IPA, I like to switch to something a bit more mild, but in this case, I was fine sticking with this brew. It had a clean finish full of flavor without an overload of bitter.

Good beer. Enjoy! Can't wait to try it from a tap.

4.47/5  rDev +22.1%

A- Orange color body, hazed with a little fine yeast sediment. Head is off white/very light tan. Decent retention and some sparse lacing.

S- Hoppy grapefruit/pine and marmalade.

T- Starts with nice earthy hoppiness plus grassy/pineapple notes. After about 15 seconds, this beer comes alive and transitions into a nice hop dryness while the palette gets swallowed by great hop oils.

M- Appropriate carbonation, big body and great finish.

O- Great IPA, definitely try this.

4.43/5  rDev +21%

Got this as an extra from grownfool in our excellent trade-- Thanks man!
Poured into tulip pint (my go to glass for IPAs!)

Wow. The head on this thing rose a solid finger ABOVE the rim of the glass... And it held on tight. Not a drop was lost. It was thick and foamy, huge bubbles around the edges with microbubbles in the middle. It reminds me of a root beer float-- at least in terms if head. The body is slightly hazy coppery orange that really glows when backlit. The creamy tan head is frothy, and as it subsides the giant bubbles disappear leaving a thick froth-- almost looks like it was served on nitro! Pretty decent lacing to boot! The color is a tad darker than I like, but this is a great looking beer nonetheless. The retention is damn nice.

If the color can be any indication, I'd guess this has a decent amount of malt... Mmmmm... Nice strong backbone of caramel malt. The hops are here too-- grapefruit mostly, perhaps a little orange peel. The flavor is just as I'd hoped-- sweet caramel malt with an assertive hop profile of citrus notes that dries it out and keeps it refreshing through and through. Very strong bitterness at the finish, but doesn't linger too long... That makes this a great brew to drink.

I can't detect any alcohol on this one, so couple that with a nice medium body and carbonation, and I'd say we have a winner.

If I lived in Nebraska, I'd be proud. Well done gentlemen. I'll be happy to drink this again, anytime.

4.42/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, there was no date listed on the bottle.

APPEARANCE: pours a beautiful, cloudy, amber color with suspended bits floating about, less than one-finger off-white head that dissipated quickly until a thin, broken layer of bubbles remained, this beer has lighter carbonation and there was a little lacing on the glass.

SMELL: the smell is of a traditional IPA, sweet molasses, bread, pepper and pine resin.

PALATE: medium body and lighter carbonation for the style, somewhat creamy.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet molasses, bread and pepper then a pleasant piney hop blast that lingered in a very good way, the 6.3% alcohol is well disguised, the sweet malt makes the beer a little more balanced than many in this style.

OVERALL: I really enjoyed this beer, it's beautiful to look at and the sweeter malt presence really worked for me, the hops were enhanced by the malt, this just became one of my favorite IPA's, I'll definitely buy this again.

4.37/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I think this may be my first foray into a brew from the great state of Nebraska. BA used to have all my reviews where I could look them up by state, but no longer :( If the beer is anything like the college football (used to be), this should be a treat. Purchased a sixer of this from Bearden Beer Garden in Knoxville, TN.

Pours from the 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Golden amber in color with a stiff, creamy, one finger sized head. Gentle lacing with nice retention.

Aroma is as an IPA should be. Hops fill the nostrils followed by a decent bit of maltiness. The maltiness doenst smell sweet but smells more biscuity, letting the hops do all of the work. Great citrus nose.

Spot on flavors for the style. I like my IPAs bitter and this one foots the bill nicely. There is some slight earthiness in there but the majority of the flavors coming across are citrus in nature. Slightly floral.

A great IPA if you ask me. My only complaint is that the mouthfeel is a little thin. I dont know what the rest of the beer in NE is like, but this was a sure winner. I would certainly drink some of this anytime, anywhere possible.

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

12oz stubby bottle into a Sam Adam's perfect pint glass. Daps & handshakes to ballz50401 for a killer Nebraskan extra!

Lucky Bucket's IPA pours nicely to form a sizable tuft of fluffy, meringue-colored head that hardly budges from its perch atop a clear amber-golden liquid. Lots of carbonation and sticky lace. Aroma suggests pungent hop aromas of pine resin and grapefruit zest. Big backing of amber & pale malts adds some caramel sweetness. Really liking this beer thus far...

Oh, wow! A bold hop flavor hits the palate hard with bitter tree sap and herbal, almost minty-tasting hop cones. Excellent balance of pale malts adds just the right amount of sweetness with a kiss of honey biscuit and toffee. Mouthfeel is perfect in every way--tight carbonation level rolls effortlessly through a medium-thin body and crisp, semi-dry finish. Lots of hop flavor all the way through, and the hop profile is unique enough to make this IPA stand out. Definitely a must-try for any fan of *Humulus lupulus*.

4.32/5  rDev +18%

A-Pours slightly hazy golden amber with ample off-white head. Nice fine bubbles.
S-Slightly sweet aroma with a strong citrus hop scent. Slightly herbal hop aroma as well.
T-Very hop forward with a nice malt balance, slight caramel malt flavor. Strong citrus hop flavor with a slightly earthy hop flavor, matches the aroma.
M-Medium body with a distinct malt sweetness. Dry finish probably from the hop bitterness. Good carbonation.
Overall, a very nice IPA. Maybe a little too sweet but very good hop flavors. Slightly hazy, could be more clear.

4.32/5  rDev +18%

Lucky Bucket brews in La Vista, Nebraska not far from where I live so I can get whatever they brew at pretty much any store. this IPA is my favorite IPA at the moment. I poured this in a beer glass. The head is rather thick. its a wet and large head with a sort of beige-ish white color. More beige than white. The color of the beer is very amber dark. it is sort of orange brown dark hue. its not cloudy and you can see the bubbles rise upward. the smell is amazing because its full full of hops. it has a nice bitter hoppy smell to it that you can smell without even having to put your nose up to the glass. its very robust and has a lot of character. the taste obviously hoppy and just has a nice overall bitter taste. that sounds negative but its entirely not. its not smooth but its kind of a beer that you drink slowly and enjoy the flavor. I really like this beer because how strong and hoppy it is. if you dont like strong beers this is not for you of course.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
IPA from Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.