IPA - Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.

IPAIPA

good

Lucky Bucket Brewing Co. visit their website
Nebraska, United States

Beer added by: RedHaze on 05-23-2010

India Pale Ale is about balance. The right balance of malt, hop flavor, bitterness, and aroma to create an unforgettable ale. Lucky Bucket's Original American IPA begins with a nice malt bill that lets the brew stand up to the mountain of hops added later. After the boil, the hot wort (the beer before it's really beer) is fired through a hop back, a unique four-barrel stainless steel tank filled with a gratuitous amount of raw flower Amarillo, Centennial, and Cascade hops, extracting the aromatic oils and flavor of the hops. Followed with additional dry hopping in the fermenter, the end result is a big, well-balanced West Coast-style IPA with terrific hop flavor and aroma. Lucky Bucket IPA weighs in at 65 IBUs and 6.3% ABV.
1.72/5  rDev -53%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Hazy orange to the point of opaqueness. One finger frothy off-white head.

Aroma: Honestly pretty bad. Smells like old apple cider.

Taste: Almost afraid to take a sip after that bad aroma. Tastes like metallic rotten fruit. Drain pour after two sips.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body with lots of carbonation.

Final Thoughts: One of the worst experiences I've had trying a new beer. No bottled on or enjoy by date so I don't feel bad giving a poor grade. Would I drink it again? Only if the head brewer handed it to me himself. (535 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -34.2%

Prelude: So I have a nice symbiotic trading relationship with a beer drinking buddy, his wife got him a beer of the month thing where he gets 3 bottles of each of 4 new beers each month (2 are domestic "craft" beers, 2 are imports). 12 bottles total. He saves 1 of each for me and I, in return, give him 2 bombers of different homebrews. So I get to try 4 new beers a month, sadly most rate a "B" here and this one really should be lower than that.

Rating: I could not resist opening the IPA first (others were a Brown Ale from Michigan Brewing - very good!, a stout from Jamaica, and a Pilsner from Germany) as I love hops.

Appearance was fairly amber with a nice head.

Aroma was merely ok not a lot of clearly discernible hops, but still no off flavors. I looked but could not find a "best by" or "bottled on" date. So maybe it was muted by age.

Taste was where I knew the beer was a failure, there was an off flavor that was not merely that of older hops or oxidation, more like an astringent flavor possibly suggesting an infection or possibly some weird hop utilization (non-full boil jammed full of hops then watered down?). Hard to tell where the hop bitterness ended and this astringent/off flavor began. Like a bad home brew. I finished it but then I rarely drain pour. Put me in mind of another failure I was moved to review (the Tule Duck beer in cans from NV).

Mouthfeel and drinkability were similarly compromised by the taste issue. I should add that it had a fairly carmely/malty flavor for an IPA, usually not my preference, but at least the sweet malt partly masked the off flavor. (1,605 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

After reviewing Lucky Bucket's Certified Evil, and their pre-prohibition lager with rave reviews.... I was looking forward to this brew very much. I truly am sorry to say, I was disappointed.

Appearance was a little darker than most IPA's. Darker caramel malt must be an addition to give it its dark amber appearance.

Aroma was merely ok. Neither overly hoppy, nor fruity. I didn't detect enough hops in the nose. I would have liked to see an addition of Centennial at flameout to add a really nice aroma. If they do this, maybe dry hopping would be nice. It just didn't have a GREAT hop aroma... it was average.

Taste was where I was most disappointed. It tasted somewhat astringent to me... even a little hint of a solvent like flavor. I don't know what the bittering hops are, but I didn't find the bitterness to be smooth at all. It was an aggressive bittering hop, just not very smooth.

Mouthfeel was fine. Lingers a little on the tongue after it goes down. Pretty nice.

Drinkable? Not more than 1 or 2. Too harsh and astringent for me. And I'm a hophead.

I really wanted to like this beer, since I found their previous offerings so nice. I'm a hophead who LOVES hops. Just not whatever hops are in this. Sorry Lucky Bucket! I truly feel bad for reviewing this beer this poorly. Hope your Octoberfest is good! (1,320 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -23.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance- pours a dark straw color, with a thin white head that retains nicely and leaves a gorgeous amount of lacing around my glass.

Smell- Very floral, and citrusy, very intriguing.

Taste- not good. hoppy, floral, but a bad, strange aftertaste. I'm an IPA fan so I'm used to a strong hoppy aftertaste, but theres something here, that I don't quite like.

Overall- Finishes high in all categories except taste. Looks beautiful, smells beautiful, tastes awful. And if a beer tastes terribly, then none of the other qualities matter. (580 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Probably the most amber-orange IPA I've ever had - almost like a dark OFest, with a huge creamy gold head - more than a 1/4". A bit of darker brown rings the outer edge around the top.

Smells of tobacco and a bit of citrus - not overwhelming for an IPA though.

Heavy on the tobacco - not in a smokey way though, but in a more leafy way. Like a slow-soaking leaf in the pocket of your mouth, releasing on the tongue. Seems to be about the only thing going though - less citrus than on the nose.

Not bad in the mouth - maybe a little less carbonation than other IPAs, but adequate.

I usually like IPAs in the summer, but this one is far too heavy to enjoy this time of year. But it doesn't have the body to enjoy it as it gets cooler - I'm lost as to when I should drink this beer. (787 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -22.4%

A-Dark tan colored...

S-Odd...almost smells off...tea like I guess...herbal...perhaps some overripe slightly spoiled tropical fruits.

T-More malty than hoppy....I just drank a sweet whit before this too so I was worried the hops would be biting....not the case...call the hops herbal...malt a little toffee like...no off flavors that I was worried about from the smell..

M-Medium bodied...dryish the more you drink it...

O-Not horrible but below average. There are so many solid IPA's out there. This is not one of them. If you like in Nebraska and want to support the local brewery hey more power to you but this can't stack up with the multitude of IPA's now available in Minnesota. (688 characters)

I poured this average beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a cloudy tan and poured a slight head with slight lacing. The smell was hoppy with a woodsy smell. Very Christmas tree tasting. Citrus hoppy over the top for me. I will not buy again. (254 characters)

Decent IPA for being brewed here in Nebraska. Pretty flavorful and has grassy overtones. Recommended for people who are just wanting to try different IPAs or are getting into the IPA world. Nice job Lucky Bucket! (212 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

Gifted bottle from boss poured into a snifter.

Somewhat cloudy orangish color with a slightly off white head that does not linger.

Hoppy scent tending more towards pine than citrus. Slight sweetness to the smell as well.

Taste is slightly malty with a VERY piney aftertaste on the finish.

Not my type of IPA. Was interesting to try something local to a region other than my own. (382 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -15.8%

All of a sudden, Lucky Bucket is everywhere in Minnesota. Every store! We didn't buy this bottle. A friend asked if we'd had it, we said "not yet" & he pulled one out of the fridge & handed it to us. "I barely ever have had something you haven't had, let me know if you like it!" OK!

First off, there's a bigger loogie of yeast in the bottom than I've ever seen in a 12 oz. bottle: yikes. And it sticks together, too. Poured very carefully, yellow, bubbled. Floral hops answer the nose bell, along with bits of citrus & sweetness. OK, but it would all be easy to overlook.

Lucky Bucket IPA packs a wallop. The hop bitterness leaps to the forefront & bruises the tongue. Piney. I like pine. Limited caramel underneath the hops. A touch of algae - yes, algae, I've pumped water from many less than desirable lakes - colors the aftertaste. Not quite sure how that got in, but it wizzes on the taste, & not in a good way.

This is close. Really nice upfront, lovely hopping & nice malts, but the aftertaste gives this beer a couple of unsightly warts. Decent beer that has upside potential. (1,090 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Poured into a standard pint glass from a 12 oz bottle, no dating. Obtained via a friend's beer of the month club.

Appearance: Standard dark yellow color. 1 finger of head, off-white. Moderate lacing.

Smell: Clean, grassy, orange, lemon, pine. Some sweetness on the nose as well, maybe honey.

Taste: Upfront tastes much like the smell, somewhat subdued, with good hop taste. Towards the end of the swallow however there is some unpleasant sourness and unpleasant taste. Moderate bitterness at the end but again the lingering aftertaste is that of lingering acid and sourness.

Mouthfeel: Along with the smell, probably the high point in this beer. Fairly smooth, moderate carbonation.

Overall: A young brewery, not necessarily a bad offering from Lucky Bucket. A good hop selection with nice mouthfeel makes this one drinkable, but the meld of unpleasant tastes makes this something I would pass on in the future. (916 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -13.7%

I am not an IPA guy, so take the following with a grain of salt. I have had the Lucky bucket lager and enjoy it. Those who are dismayed by the color should try the lager. I think it is just the style that this brewery goes for with the malt they use, etc.

A - liked the appearance. Darker than I expected, looks almost like an amber ale. The bubbles cascade consistently from the bottom giving an inviting appearance. Had a good head with a foam that stays on the glass for quite a while.

S - Again, I am not an IPA guy, so the bitter hops are a little much for me. Fairly consistent with this style however.

T - again, not being an IPA aficionado, the taste is on the bitter side for me at the start, but mellows over time.

M - I like that it mellows over time. Some IPAs start strong and stay there. This one lasts in the mouth, but not in an unpleasant way.

D - I am pretty sure I could only take one of these at a time. The hoppy character, which is supposed to be there in an IPA, is just too much for me.

Overall, this did not make me an IPA convert, even though it is one of the smoother that I have tried in the class. (1,133 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -13.4%

Hazy and dark orange to brown in color. Pours a minimal off-white head with poor retention. No lacing to be seen.

Aroma of pine needles and wheat bread.

Hop dominance throughout. Pine, orange and soap flavored hop bitterness. Malt lies heavy in the background with a dense bread-like character. It's tough to describe, but the flavors just don't seem to compliment each other as well as they could. Tastes slightly off in the aftertaste due to soapy flavors.

Medium-bodied which a course texture on the palate. Good carbonation.

For something that has been done over and over again by hundreds of breweries across the country, this stuff is nothing special. A little rough around the edges but still a descent drinking IPA. Just not the best of the style. (760 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -12.6%

A new addition to the state so I grabbed a sixer on my latest beer run to give it a shot...

Pours into my New Belgium globe really nice and looks pretty good... Nice foamy persistent head and lots of active carbonation.. Looks and seems pretty fresh...

Big nose of grapefruit peel and what I think might be a bit of orange rind... Whatever, it's definitely a citrus-first IPA... Quite pungent on the nose as well... I'm pleasantly surprised with this so far... Actually reminds me of Two Hearted or the IPA from Sweetwater which are two of my favorites..

Well, there is a definite citrusy grapefruit taste to the hop characteristics in this beer but more than anything the bittering hops seem to dominate and drown out all of the flavors and leave this one a bit short of the previous offerings I mentioned... It begins as a pleasant citrus flavor and bitterness and turns sharply south to an astringent aspirin-like bitterness and finish that has me double-taking here...

Tried 3 different bottles of this one and got the same results from everyone of them... A good effort that falls, unfortunately, a bit short in a world full of IPAs... (1,146 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -11.5%

Thank you n8dietz for the cross country road trip brew.

Good bubbling, two finger head fater the pour, and a nice thick foam that lasts through all twleve ounces. Ohhh... did i mention the lacing too.

Lots of toasted malt, bread and bsicuits. The hops seem to add an odd funky musty aroma thats off-putting for me.

Weord super malt sweetness meets with IPA, toasted hop bitterness flavors. The hops show off some toasted or maybe singed orange peel, mix in an odd way on the palate. The mouthfeel is verysmooth and bubbly with some grainy moments here and there. (565 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

12 oz bottle, no best by date

Pours a classic, coppery colored beer with a nice 2 fingered head that retains throuhgout.

The aroma is welcoming; classic floral and citrus notes coming through

Taste is allright. The hop bitterness is good and I can taste the citrusy hop but not as much as was expected from the aroma....something else really dominates the palate...Like a nutmeg flavor coming through, kinda remings me of a very hoppy wintery ale...It's not bad though, easy drinking.

I'd recommend it, a nice local Nebraska beer. (535 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle...

Appearance: Dark straw, hazy orange color present.

Smell: Earthy, herbal, piney, grapefruit citrusy elements make up what one expect from a good solid IPA.

Taste: A slight malt backbone characterized by eccentric hop flavoring that expresses all aspects of an IPA

Mouthfeel: Medium to full IPA with medium carbonation.

Overall: A good solid rendition but by no means a staple in the style. (423 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%

Pried off the twist-top on this 12oz bottle poured into Duvel Green tulip. Big thanks to roosevelt25 for the extra!

A: Pours a clear burnt amber with an insanely fluffy light tan head that took forever to fade into a dense oily film that looked like almost-melted vanilla ice-cream. I could not ask for better rocking lacing either.
S: Nose is full of hops that smell both sweet and fresh. I get mostly citrus, tangerine actually, but there is some grapefruit pith as well.
T: As many great smelling IPAs are, this doesn't taste as good as the nose. Flavors are much more malty that the nose suggested, and the bitter grapefruit pith really dominates the hop flavor. Finish is leafy, almost tea like, and bitter.
M: Carbonation fluffs up on the palate with each sip; body is medium and the mouthfeel is slightly astringent.
D: I really liked the look and smell of this one but the taste is just a little too rough around the edges for me to love. It's good, but it could use some polishing. That's again for the extra! (1,020 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Pours a darker, hazy gold. Thick white head that recedes to a soapy film. Lots of lacing around the glass. Good looking beer.

S: Sweet malts, bitter hops. Piney, grassy, herbal. Not very aromatic. Pleasent smell, just hard to pick up.

T: Sweet bready malts start off and quickly give way to bitter hops. Bitter over powers the sweet in this one. Pine, grass, floral and herbal hops...not a lot of citrus if any. Semi-spicy, bitter finish. Not bad.

M: Bitter and dry, but smooth.

O: Easy drinking IPA if you don't mind bitter...not filling, not bad. Will probably pick this up again at some point down the line. Would feel comfortable recommending this to most IPA fans. (677 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

from 12 oz bottle

A- pours a slight hazed copper color with a 2 finger head that recedes to a nice collar with good lacing

S-malty and citrus hops some baked bread

T- is a caramel and malt forward ipa with a with some floral hops. a tad bit bitter

M- medium carbonation some what bitter with a crisp finish

O- just an average ipa in an ocean of great one on the market..its a well made ipa its just not one i would reach for ...with so so many others available (465 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a fresh pint glass and got the following.

A. Golden, slightly cloudy with white billowy had that reaches out off the glass and stays for a while. Maybe slightly over carbonated.

S. I smell a lot of citrus hops and a lot of Crystal malt.

T. Bright hop flavor with subdued bitterness followed by a slightly sweet body and clean finish. Definitely not a west coast style up a which is a nice change from the usual.

I would pick this up again but not regular rotation. (495 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -5.5%

12oz bottle $1.69. Bright orange color, sticky lace and a fluffy head. Smells slightly hoppy, nothing overwhelming. Flavor definitely has a lot of hops but it's almost all bitterness. I was really surprised by how bitter this was but I liked it. Still, I would have preferred a little more diversity in the hop flavors. (319 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

An Ok IPA from the middle of the country. Pretty drinkable but nothing outstanding. A little hoppy and some malt but neither is very strong.
I think I picked this up at Beertopia in Omaha, which is certainlyworth a visit if you're in Omaha. This particular 'local ipa' just didn't hit the
right notes for me. pass on this one. (327 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours an amber color with a thick cream off white head.

Smell is slightly piney, but a little muted. A metallic scent is there as well. Not good.

Taste is mostly piney, hoppy, and resinous. pretty good here. healthy malt backbone balances the bitterness nicely. pretty good.

Mouthfeel is creamy and bitter. the hop resins linger on the tongue. not bad.

Overall a decent beer, more towards the resinous bitter end of the IPA spectrum. (437 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Reddish-copper color with brilliant clarity and a sticky, yellowish head of cream which sticks around and laces nicely as it goes.

Aroma-Pungent, grapefruity hops, with orange zest and light pine. Some tropical flavors-pineapple. Bready malt is spiked with a dab of caramel, and light fruity esters round out the aroma.

Flavor-Sweet tropical fruit and a touch of bready malt open give way quickly to moderately strong hop bitterness. The hop flavor profile is not nearly as robust as the aroma, with pungent orange rind showing through in the mid-palate. The finish is dominated by hop bitterness, and shows an unpleasant, papery, oxidation character with slight vegetal notes.

Mouthfeel-Medium body with moderate carbonation. Hop bitterness lingers on the palate, but not unpleasantly so.

Aside from slight flaws in the flavor, this is a decent American IPA. Good hop character in the aroma with nice supporting malt and alcohol notes. Unfortunately, the papery/vegetal finish is a deterrent for me, but I'm willing to give it another shot, and hope that this bottle just wasn't in top condition. (1,156 characters)

IPA from Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.